Why not? I just find it amazing to see people complain about it.. damned if you do ,and damned if you don't..
    02-24-14 03:23 PM
    BB10 is a gesture based OS. This is a step backwards. I have never once wanted a trackpad on my Z10, and the same would probably be true if I had a Q10. Maybe the convenience keys from time to time, but I can live without them.
    02-24-14 03:25 PM
    I'm still using my 4 year old Bold 9700 and though I've tried mobile phones that are more gesture-based, for what I use a mobile phone for - calls, emails, and texting, I would love to be able to get a new BB that still has the trackpad and the other 2-buttons on either side of the trackpad and not be forced into having to buy a gesture-only phone. I like the fact that there will be a choice in the matter and it will still be Blackberry, which have been my favorite phones.
    Now you call 10 million of your friends and BB will have a smash hit on their hands! :-) I kid, but yes, you're exactly the kind of BBOS user I think will be intrigued by this positive news... now we have to wait to see if the implementation lives up to our wildest (positive) imaginings but I'm hopeful.
    02-24-14 03:27 PM
    Looks like the dial is coming back, too!

The Trackpad is Coming Back! Q20-dial.png
    kbz1960, web99 and mkelley65 like this.
    02-24-14 03:27 PM
    So, the pro-BB10 brigade complain that Blackberry is still making BBOS phones and that they outsell BB10 phones.

Now, they complain when Blackberry proposes to take action to make BB10 phones more appealing to BBOS users.

I will try and keep an open mind, although I am not sure if this will be enough to encourage me to abandon my BB9900 with BIS and GBP 9 per-month contract on Vodafone UK.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    02-24-14 03:41 PM
    Ditch the OS7 experience and lets move forward. I thought that was the whole idea of the BB10!
    02-24-14 03:53 PM
    It appears that the Pro BB10 Brigade tends to short-cicuit the trackpad (and associated hard buttons) to "old" (legacy?), which I think is wrong.
    Besides, I do not think Z series (all touch slab, just like iPhone and Android) will get this "belt", as it is not necessary, or even negates the whole purpose of all tough (in BB's case, the swipe gesture). The trackpad and hard buttons makes sense only when used in conjunction with physical keyboard, although some buttons could be implemented into the all-touch as virtual buttons on demand.
    02-24-14 03:53 PM
    Just proves you can"t make everyone happy, Me I would be happy if was like a 9810, BIG screen and physical controls for my old shakey hands. PLEASE
    02-24-14 04:01 PM
    So, the pro-BB10 brigade complain that Blackberry is still making BBOS phones and that they outsell BB10 phones.

Now, they complain when Blackberry proposes to take action to make BB10 phones more appealing to BBOS users.

I will try and keep an open mind, although I am not sure if this will be enough to encourage me to abandon my BB9900 with BIS and GBP 9 per-month contract on Vodafone UK.
    Another one. Did it occur to anyone that BBOS still outsells BB10 in regions where money is tight because of BIS. Are they also bringing back cheap BIS plans? I guess they have done the research and know what they are doing.

I'm curious once again. If you're forced to use BB10 without BIS but you have the belt will you choose BB10 or something else? The cost will be the same for any of them.
    web99 likes this.
    02-24-14 04:04 PM
    I do miss the trackpad. Not everyone has piano fingers. I work in the construction trades and have very big hands trying to touch on the Q10 screen to insert a word that iI missed or misspelled is not very easy or very fast. My idea of speed isn't pounding around on the screen to insert a word. H3ll I have a hard time using the touch screen on my PlayBook. Secondly being in the construction trades my hands get greasy and smearing grease all over the screen isn't good either. Thirdly the touch screen doesn't like callouses either. I understand that one size will not fit all, but if you don't want a trackpad don't purchase it.
    Ragbert likes this.
    02-24-14 04:20 PM
    I was going to say something along these lines as well. I remember reading here, not that long ago, that BBOS phones still far outsell BB10 phones. If all those BBOS users are saying they aren't interested in an all-gesture phone, but would still like to have a phone that is updatable, secure, networkable, etc, then perhaps creating a hybrid phone, one that has both gestures and the buttons all the BBOS people clamour for, is a good way to coax them into upgrading.

My Q10 is my first Blackberry, so I have no personal history with the trackpad. But I chose the Q10 because I wanted the best physical keyboard I could get. I love it, but I have to say that the one annoying thing about trying to type quickly on it, is the time and attention it takes to do a simple and accurate cut/copy/paste. Or to utch that circle-thing just to the right place inside a bunch of tiny text, to make a correction. I would welcome anything, whether a trackpad, a trackpoint (a la Thinkpad's "eraser" mouse), or some other kind of physical tool to make this easier. For those who don't need it, great- don't buy one. I'd be curious to try one, just to see if it's the solution everyone says it is. The Q10 is a great phone as is though, and of course, if you hate buttons of any kind, just get a Z and don't worry about what BBOS users want. I suspect, however, that there is a huge and largely silent (on CB anyway) demographic of cell owners out there who have been waiting for something familiar enough to them, that they could comfortably upgrade to BB10 and still feel like their hands know what to do. My 2-cents, anyway.

02-24-14 04:34 PM
    BB10 is a gesture based OS. This is a step backwards. I have never once wanted a trackpad on my Z10, and the same would probably be true if I had a Q10. Maybe the convenience keys from time to time, but I can live without them.
    The 9900 has gestures. So what? How is it a step backwards to ADD features? It's a step forwards.

You gestures would still work exactly the same way. You would have a choice. Just as 9900 users do now.
    02-24-14 04:51 PM
    ... how would i use a trackpad with BB10??
    scrolling through and marking emails, highlighting and copying text, moving the text cursor precisely, left/right swipe ...
    just a few ideas ...

The trackpad is the most natural addition to the keyboard - I love the touchscreen and don't want to miss it but the trackpad would be necessary addition - though I doubt that it will come ...
    02-24-14 04:54 PM
    I think it was a minority on here requesting that.
    I think there might have been more people requesting it than you think. I don't think any company would cater to a minority of people requesting something.
    02-24-14 05:05 PM
    The 9900 has gestures. So what?
    Clearly "has" and "based on" is completely different. You can use a 9900 without touching the screen. BB10 is designed with always touching the screen (besides physical QWERTY).

How is it a step backwards to ADD features? It's a step forwards.
    No, it is not. They moved to an all touch, gesture based OS to get rid of the reliance of physical keys and trackball/pad. There is absolutely NO NEED for a trackball or trackpad text selection is done properly.

This is a step backwards because BB10 is designed for the use without the trackpad.

You gestures would still work exactly the same way. You would have a choice. Just as 9900 users do now.
    9900 users have that choice because BBOS is designed around the use of a trackpad. BBOS devices have always had trackpads/balls (besides the failure that was the Storm series).

BB10 is a move AWAY from traditional BBs. Sure, this is great for those who want a traditional BB, but not for the rest of the market. The rest of the market moved away from these things years ago.

If all BB is trying to do at this point is secure legacy users, this is all this is good for. This will just further push others away from BB. The consumers BB NEEDS to add. I don't know if you have noticed, but all other touch based OSs are getting rid of physical key requirements. This is the trend moving into the future. BB again, is going back in time to cater to a select group of people that are the minority of the market.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-24-14 05:12 PM
    Awesome!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 05:30 PM
    Perfect...now Chen and a handful of old people can sit around in a circle with their trackpad and enjoy themselves.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    02-24-14 05:35 PM
    I came back to BB because of the Z10 and for all that it is and all that it is not!!! (that includes the NOT on the trackpad).
    I can also leave for the last time if a freakin trackpad find its' way back.
    What the heck are they thinking??
    1 step forward, 7 or 8 steps back.
    02-24-14 05:36 PM
    At first I hated the fact that I would be missing the trackpad and call buttons, but after a while, not only did I not mind not having them there, I realized how much easier it is to navigate without them! A couple of swipes and I am where I need to be. Not having them gives us one less piece of hardware to worry about breaking as well. If anything at all, make them available as an on screen feature as opposed to physical hard buttons. The only physical buttons I want on my device is the amazing qwerty keyboard.
    02-24-14 05:39 PM
    It's a great news...I think it will be limited to Keyboard versions...

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 05:39 PM
    No, it is not. They moved to an all touch, gesture based OS to get rid of the reliance of physical keys and trackball/pad. There is absolutely NO NEED for a trackball or trackpad text selection is done properly.

This is a step backwards because BB10 is designed for the use without the trackpad.
    I really do not think that all touch slab like Z series will get the trackpad because it is not needed, but it is a totally different story for the keyboard device.
    Grasp why enterprise market embraced the keyboard BBOS (not just for the typing) and it would be easier to understand why Chen is bringing those back (if it's true).
    But it goes much deeper than the trackpad issue.
    Z series As it is just fine, as they are designed to compete in the all touch slab market.
    02-24-14 05:50 PM
    I really do not think that all touch slab like Z series will get the trackpad because it is not needed, but it is a totally different story for the keyboard device.
    Grasp why enterprise market embraced the keyboard BBOS (not just for the typing) and it would be easier to understand why Chen is bringing those back (if it's true).
    Z series As it is just fine, as they are designed to compete in the all touch slab market.
    But you can interact with the screen the same exact way on the Q as you can with a Z. Pinch to zoom works wonder with proper touch text selection. It's just another piece of hardware that can fail, on an OS that doesn't need it.

What if you want a BB10 QWERTY device, but don't want a trackpad? Are you going to be forced to have it because others can't properly use touch input, or are there now going to be two versions of the same device?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-24-14 05:58 PM
    I think there might have been more people requesting it than you think. I don't think any company would cater to a minority of people requesting something.
    I did say on here. But yes there are many users who don't come here.
    02-24-14 06:01 PM
    BBRY should concentrate on one or the other, with a keyboard track pad device or a touch screen device and make it the best over all experience possible. One will suffer due to time being spent optimizing the other now. Take a look at the new generation of users, they aren't the keyboard users the people wanting the trackpad are old time BBRY users who claim to have no use for apps, or touch screen and want battery pulls brought back. Didn't work out so good the first time around...so running back there isn't going to change much I'm afraid.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    02-24-14 06:03 PM
    I came back to BB because of the Z10 and for all that it is and all that it is not!!! (that includes the NOT on the trackpad).
    I can also leave for the last time if a freakin trackpad find its' way back.
    What the heck are they thinking??
    1 step forward, 7 or 8 steps back.
    So your saying the Q10 and Q5 is a step backwards. So everything should be touch screens.
    As for everyone say BlackBerry needs to move forward. They haven't moved very for as it is. BB10 is a 9900 that mated with a PlayBook for christ sakes. For example Hub is just updated version messages from the 9900. multitasking, swipe up, swipe down, swipe left and right, swipe up on app to minimize, touch X to close, ect. ect. . I'm not saying that's a bad thing, however I am saying taking the things that work and improving on them isn't a step backwards.
    allwi likes this.
    02-24-14 06:26 PM
657 ... 678910 ...