Wondered when you would chime in on this. Your prophecy come true - LOL!
    They never listen they argued and they argued, and they posted a million links on why the "99%" don't care about the trackpad.

Well.......

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    Legal Eagle and Q10Bold like this.
    02-24-14 10:18 AM
    My trackpad and buttons are failing. My touch screen still works fine.
    Trackpad and buttons can be easily and cheaply replaced, the touchscreen not so much.

02-24-14 10:19 AM
    The trackpad on my 9850 has been acting goofy. Will BBRY replace it for free?
    Under warranty yes.

02-24-14 10:20 AM
    [QUOTE=madcat72;10046934]
    It seems that the majority of folks who are anti trackpad here own Z devices. Why do you care ? Your dismay should be aimed the failure of BlackBerry to make Q without a screen large enough to render the trackpad redundant. Simply put, without more legacy conversions and continued BBOS sales in some markets BlackBerry may fold as a phone maker.

Exactly, 3/4 of replies are coming from Z10/30 users
    I'm on Q10, and really dont want any trackpad nor action buttons to eat my real estate

This is a nice addon in the latest OS, but try doing this on handed.
    you still needed to hold shift with the trackpad on BB legacy devices!!
    02-24-14 10:20 AM
    [QUOTE=tomsobon;10046988]

I'm on Q10, and really dont want any trackpad nor action buttons to eat my real estate

you still needed to hold shift with the trackpad on BB legacy devices!!
    No you don't, you just need to press it once and the selection starts. Easily done one handed.

dalight13, Q10Bold and madcat72 like this.
    02-24-14 10:21 AM
    As long as they make devices without it, that's cool. But if they do a full transition then no

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 10:23 AM
    Just because the BELT is coming back (or some facsimile) does not mean that it will clash with the gestures. Let's analyze further:

Call/End call buttons: Speak for themselves and each serve one purpose. Verdict: No clash with the gesture based OS.

Blackberry button: Can be used exactly like it is today in OS7. If you are in the browser and the cursor is on a link, pressing this button will bring up a list of relevant options, like "open link in new tab". Alternatively you can still use the touch screen to do this. Verdict: No clash with the gestures of the OS.

Back button: Will not do anything on any of the home screens (active frame screen, grid icon screen, hub). This button will only take the user back when they are an an app. Ex. in the broswer, hitting this buttin will take you back to the previous page. Verdict: No clash with the gestures of the OS.

Track pad: Can be used to select text and move around to different pages of the app grid. Verdict: No clash with the gestures of the OS.

With the above said, I don't get all the angst. If you don't want t use the belt and prefer the gestures, then no one is stopping you. Just like the Bold 9900. You can either use the touch screen or track pad to move around.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-24-14 10:25 AM
    Trackpad and buttons can be easily and cheaply replaced, the touchscreen not so much.

No I'm not replacing them as when this phone gives up, buttons, screen whatever I'm moving to something with much less buttons.

So are they bringing a home button too?
    02-24-14 10:25 AM
    No I'm not replacing them as when this phone gives up, buttons, screen whatever I'm moving to something with much less buttons.

So are they bringing a home button too?
    End call button is the Home button, always has been.

02-24-14 10:26 AM
    End call button is the Home button, always has been.

Well that should get plenty of iPhone users to switch.
    02-24-14 10:27 AM
    This is the way I look at it: on the Legacy devices the main issue with them was the OS. They fixed that issue with BB10. The track pad however was fine. Yes it may have broken down from time to time, but look at iPhone or Android; their physical buttons will break down as well. The way I see it, put it on the keyboard phones, or just one keyboard phone. That way, if you want it you can have it, and if you don?t want it, don't buy that phone. Either way you still get the same great OS, but with a familiar touch that will definitely come in handy. As everyone else has already said, it's not needed on BB10. While I agree, there are times when I myself would love to have a track pad (usually just for text selection). Odds are, if they put out a phone with a track pad, the track pad would be rarely used, simply because of the design of the OS. But for those who miss it, it would be nice to have on that rare occasion when it would come in handy.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 10:28 AM
    Just because the BELT is coming back (or some facsimile) does not mean that it will clash with the gestures. Let's analyze further:

Call/End call buttons: Speak for themselves and each serve one purpose. Verdict: No clash with the gesture based OS.

Blackberry button: Can be used exactly like it is today in OS7. If you are in the browser and the cursor is on a link, pressing this button will bring up a list of relevant options, like "open link in new tab". Alternatively you can still use the touch screen to do this. Verdict: No clash with the gestures of the OS.

Back button: Will not do anything on any of the home screens (active frame screen, grid icon screen, hub). This button will only take the user back when they are an an app. Ex. in the broswer, hitting this buttin will take you back to the previous page. Verdict: No clash with the gestures of the OS.

Track pad: Can be used to select text and move around to different pages of the app grid. Verdict: No clash with the gestures of the OS.

With the above said, I don't get all the angst. If you don't want t use the belt and prefer the gestures, then no one is stopping you. Just like the Bold 9900. You can either use the touch screen or track pad to move around.
    Perhaps not everybody will use the trackpad but I'm damn sure everybody will use the call and end call buttons once they have them.

Given the added device complexity and cost, one can only assume that they've run the numbers and done the focus groups and come to the conclusion that the upside is worth it. I have only two observations:

1) On keyboard devices, the trackpad makes some sense, since your fingers are spending more time in the keyboard region.

2) I hope they don't see a need to do this for full-touch devices (though a virtual touchpad that functions like the one in the Origami Browser on the Playbook wouldn't be bad, either).

I still see a lot of users with 3-4 year old BlackBerry handsets. If this makes a BB10 device more attractive to these users as an upgrade, who am I to judge?
    Well that should get plenty of iPhone users to switch.
    They never ever had a chance at getting iphone users to switch.

02-24-14 10:29 AM
    @Thunderbuck - does the trackpad on some devices and not on others lead to "fragmentation" for bb10 devices? Will this affect devs at all in your opinion?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-24-14 10:35 AM
    Seeing people be upset by having more choices just astounds me.
    02-24-14 10:35 AM
    @Thunderbuck - does the trackpad on some devices and not on others lead to "fragmentation" for bb10 devices? Will this affect devs at all in your opinion?
    Miracast, hdmi, removable battery etc, there's already "fragmentation"

02-24-14 10:37 AM
    ok i have to admit, MAYBE, MAYBE the back button could be useful for Android Apps" back" function..

there, i said it :-|
    02-24-14 10:41 AM

It is true.
    My 9790 already repaired 5 times for the first year & 3 times for the second year of use both because of trackpad.
    It's really annoying because I rarely using it since I also had an iPhone.
    For touchscreen you may have to replace it If Only you Hardly dropped it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-24-14 10:43 AM
    Not sure what BlackBerry is trying to do here but I hope it works.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-24-14 10:50 AM
    The only way to have millions move from os7 devices is to make new ones with os10.
    Q10Bold and Loc22 like this.
    02-24-14 10:53 AM
    They never ever had a chance at getting iphone users to switch.

I know, I was being sarcastic. Guess I should've used a smiley.
    02-24-14 10:58 AM
    I find this good news for some, as the trackpad helps a lot in the browser, because some things on a website, you need to hover over for more options, and can't click on it...
    02-24-14 11:05 AM
    YES! Big step forward! Taking away the buttons on a keyboard phone was stupid! Big reason why I didn't get a Q10. Track pad is easier to use and no thumb on screen getting in the way. Plus the extra length equals what 10% or so bigger battery. Win, win.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 11:09 AM
    I have not read the entire thread yet, but I think this is a good news, if true, for BBRY.

1. I do not understand why people have such a knee jerk reaction to the trackpad (and other buttons) bringing everyhting back to BBOS. I think what Chen is saying that he will bring a "belt" of function keys to "BB10", not returning to BBOS platform.

2. I am not sure if BBRY will add the "belt" to all BB10 device. Probably only to the qwerty ones (mainly for enterprise users). For the consumer market, which CB generally represents, Z series will be just fine, I guess.

3. I am sure that this was the result of Chen wooing the enterprise market, and I bet that almost everybody in that market wanted those buttons (and functions to come with them) back. I do not think it was a light decision only catering to the consumer market.

The question is whether or not BBRY has time and money to live long enough to begin to see the results of righting past wrongs.
    Last edited by xanadome; 02-24-14 at 12:07 PM.
    02-24-14 11:10 AM
657 ... 34567 ...