This might be a rumour, but it still irks me to an extent

What was the whole point of transitioning people to the new experience then? Bring in a trackpad and you can't call it an all gesture based OS anymore

Posted via CB10
    yeah the transistion that you speak of was going so well, it almost took the company under. Keep on the same path, it was working so well.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-24-14 09:31 AM
    The most relevant statement from the Globe and Mail article:

Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said he�s �not surprised� BlackBerry is bringing back the belt, but added: �I wonder if it just doesn�t matter any more, if it�s too late. I guess there�s a group of BlackBerry users for whom that is a big deal, and it�s a smart thing to keep them happy� after their disappointment with the Q10. �It symbolizes some bad decisions were made� with the first BlackBerry 10 devices by �not listening to their users.�
    But users don't always know what's best, they just want what is comfortable to them.

Posted via CB10 | Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    02-24-14 09:34 AM
    2014, the year of the BlackBerry U-Turns, I told you so (I feel the need to say it again )

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    02-24-14 09:34 AM
    I find the anti trackpad posts very strange. A phone with physical keys is not a fashion statement it is for some users a necessity. I like my 9900 because it has a physical keyboard and not because it has a trackpad. I prefer my 9900 over a Q10 because I prefer a 2.8 inch screen with trackpad over 3.1 inch screen without a trackpad.

It seems that the majority of folks who are anti trackpad here own Z devices. Why do you care ? Your dismay should be aimed the failure of BlackBerry to make Q without a screen large enough to render the trackpad redundant. Simply put, without more legacy conversions and continued BBOS sales in some markets BlackBerry may fold as a phone maker.

Still as always this move appears be too little too late. Personally , I would rather have a larger screen Q. A phone that has a 1:1 screen needs a trackpad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    RJB55 and madcat72 like this.
    02-24-14 09:40 AM
    I want trackpad. It's very handy for text-editing.
    Why do a lot of people think "how will we use trackpad with BB10 UI"? Well, you may not use trackpad all the time, but you will probably use it when you are editing text. Just because it exists, it doesn't mean you've to use it ALL the time to do all your navigation.

As long as they figure out a way to integrate trackpad without compromising screen real-estate, I'd be happy with it. For example, if trackpad is only going to be used for text-editing, then they might integrate a micro-trackpad on the side of the phone (below the volume buttons). Like they used to have a side-roller/jog-wheel on the side before.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-24-14 09:42 AM
    Why do a lot of people think "how will we use trackpad with BB10 UI"? Well, you may not use trackpad all the time, but you will probably use it when you are editing text. Just because it exists, it doesn't mean you've to use it ALL the time to do all your navigation.

As long as they figure out a way to integrate trackpad without compromising screen real-estate, I'd be happy with it. For example, if trackpad is only going to be used for text-editing, then they might integrate a micro-trackpad on the side of the phone (below the volume buttons). Like they used to have a side-roller/jog-wheel on the side before.
    As long as the Q has a 1:1 screen it will never sacrifice screen real estate to include the belt. The phone would get too wide before it gets too tall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-24-14 09:50 AM

If you want to edit , highlight text, just place the "round selector" at the beginning of any text, then hold "shift" and press at the end of the text you want to select. DONE
    02-24-14 09:50 AM
    Before that thread I predicted the return of the trackpad and the rest of the buttons.

Well, not really predicted, I was told. Maybe you should start listening to what I say

I guess I should. That way I know that I need to move on because BBRY isn't going where I am.
    02-24-14 09:53 AM
    Trackpad or not, would be rather nice for a phone not to have issues after software updates in whatever form it comes in....
    kbz1960 and rai187 like this.
    02-24-14 09:54 AM
    Why need trackpad when you can do anything you want with your fingers?
    02-24-14 09:54 AM
    This is too funny....... how many times in the past year, when complaining about lack of trackpad and buttons, have we heard, "just get used to not having them and stop crying about it"? I suppose now it's "just get used to HAVING them and stop crying about it". Tables turn in a heartbeat. You gotta love it .
    I think it was a minority on here requesting that.
    02-24-14 09:55 AM
    If you want to edit , highlight text, just place the "round selector" at the beginning of any text, then hold "shift" and press at the end of the text you want to select. DONE
    thanks, but come on, I already know that. I am a power-user. But I sometimes use my old BB 9900 and I find it still twice as fast to edit text on that, thanks to trackpad.
    02-24-14 09:57 AM
    Why need trackpad when you can do anything you want with your fingers?
    Lmao, what do you think you'd be using on a trackpad, your nose?

02-24-14 09:57 AM
    If these buttons have to be incorporated, I'd rather them be on a virtual bar where you can hide them when not in use, and use a gesture to bring them back up. You'd get the best of both worlds, and it would be a more modern take on those buttons.
    But people who choose physical keyboard like physical buttons it's all about the tactile feeling.

madcat72, RyanGermann and Q10Bold like this.
    02-24-14 10:00 AM
    thanks, but come on, I already know that. I am a power-user. But I sometimes use my old BB 9900 and I find it still twice as fast to edit text on that, thanks to trackpad.
    I also use 9790 along my Z10 and I find it faster to edit text on BB10 than BBOS.
    If trackpad happen to BB10, I will definitely use the screen than trackpad.
    IMO trackpad doesn't necessarily needed for BB10
    02-24-14 10:02 AM
    Lmao, what do you think you'd be using on a trackpad, your nose?

I mean fingers on the SCREEN
    02-24-14 10:03 AM
    Hmmmm...

How will the swipe up gesture work with the trackpad most likely being located right under the middle of the screen?

You'll be scrolling the mouse up and accidentally swipe up.

Unless they decide to do away with the up swipe all together.

Posted via CB10
    What makes you think you can't do them with the trackpad instead and at the fraction of the movement needed?

In BB6 and 7 the trackpad could perform gestures, swipe up to show the icons, swipe down to hide them.

02-24-14 10:03 AM
    I mean fingers on the SCREEN
    It's the same thing except your finger will travel less, you'll be more accurate and your finger will not obscure the screen while you do it.

RyanGermann and Q10Bold like this.
    02-24-14 10:05 AM
    [QUOTE=Bbnivende;10046820] It seems that the majority of folks who are anti trackpad here own Z devices. Why do you care ? Your dismay should be aimed the failure of BlackBerry to make Q without a screen large enough to render the trackpad redundant. Simply put, without more legacy conversions and continued BBOS sales in some markets BlackBerry may fold as a phone maker.

Exactly, 3/4 of replies are coming from Z10/30 users
    RyanGermann and Q10Bold like this.
    02-24-14 10:09 AM
    This is a nice addon in the latest OS, but try doing this on handed.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-24-14 10:11 AM
    Yes!
    02-24-14 10:12 AM
    I don't know why everyone is so critical about it. To me this sounds like great news, even though it is still a rumor yet.

Personally I'd love to get those dedicated buttons and the trackpad back and I bet there is a huge user base that would agree. I can understand the concern that it might seem too old school for some users but as long as it is well integrated into the OS, which keeps getting better, I absolutely see no problem.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-24-14 10:16 AM
    Ha! I Told You So!

Wondered when you would chime in on this. Your prophecy come true - LOL!
    The trackpad on my 9850 has been acting goofy. Will BBRY replace it for free?
    I don't know why everyone is so critical about it. To me this sounds like great news, even though it is still a rumor yet.

Personally I'd love to get those dedicated buttons and the trackpad back and I bet there is a huge user base that would agree. I can understand the concern that it might seem too old school for some users but as long as it is well integrated into the OS, which keeps getting better, I absolutely see no problem.

Posted via CB10
    My trackpad and buttons are failing. My touch screen still works fine.
    02-24-14 10:18 AM
657 ... 23456 ...