I've gotten so used to being without the trackpad..even when I play with my legacy devices, I catch myself wanting to swipe..I feel like I use the device faster by swiping now.
    02-24-14 08:34 AM
    i don't need any buttons or a trackpad on my Z10... or any of the full touch screen device that i would like to buy in the future... if they want to go all trackpad crazy, then let it be on the qwerty devices only...
    02-24-14 08:42 AM
    This is far from bad news. Whatever gets more users on board the better. I don't want to stereotype or generalize, but from my recent experiences, a LOT of older (in age) users are hanging onto their BB7 devices because they don't think they can survive without the trackpad. Does this mean they can't? No. But it means that they haven't been convinced enough that BB10 doesn't need them.

It's the same thing with the Bold 9900. It has a touch screen, but most people I know that are still using a 9900 are using the trackpad for most of their navigation, not the touchscreen. Why? Because they're used to it and they like the "pointer" way of moving around.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that BB10 is amazing without the buttons/pad. However, a lot of people are hanging onto their older devices because of these features. This doesn't mean that every BB10 device going forward will offer the "Belt", but having one that does can only help them in transitioning users.

Calm the eff down folks... this isn't a HUGE deal.
    Q10Bold, RJB55, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    02-24-14 08:52 AM
    Trackpad is great for actual power business users!

You guys just don't get it. BlackBerry would have met with fortune 500 companies and asked them why they're not switching to BES10 I garuntee the trackpad would have been one of the reasons.

Posted via CB10
    You really think people singled out the trackpad as a reason for not moving to BB10? I highly doubt it. Businesses haven't switched because a lot of them either already moved on to another OS because OS7 was a dinosaur or they starting letting people bring their own device to which people felt the same thing about OS7 and had moved on.

Singling out the trackpad as a reason not to switch is ridiculous because a lot of companies aren't aware that BB10 phones don't have one in the first place because they never gave it a chance to begin with.
    kbz1960 and Shadowyugi like this.
    02-24-14 08:53 AM
    This is far from bad news. Whatever gets more users on board the better. I don't want to stereotype or generalize, but from my recent experiences, a LOT of older (in age) users are hanging onto their BB7 devices because they don't think they can survive without the trackpad. Does this mean they can't? No. But it means that they haven't been convinced enough that BB10 doesn't need them.

It's the same thing with the Bold 9900. It has a touch screen, but most people I know that are still using a 9900 are using the trackpad for most of their navigation, not the touchscreen. Why? Because they're used to it and they like the "pointer" way of moving around.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that BB10 is amazing without the buttons/pad. However, a lot of people are hanging onto their older devices because of these features. This doesn't mean that every BB10 device going forward will offer the "Belt", but having one that does can only help them in transitioning users.

Calm the eff down folks... this isn't a HUGE deal.
    THIS!!
    The Classic BB10 Line will be great!
    02-24-14 08:54 AM
    Hmmmm...

How will the swipe up gesture work with the trackpad most likely being located right under the middle of the screen?

You'll be scrolling the mouse up and accidentally swipe up.

Unless they decide to do away with the up swipe all together.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 08:55 AM
    Why blackberry don't do this **** thing
    02-24-14 09:02 AM
    And everyone still taking this as concrete information

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid, eldricho and redsaph like this.
    02-24-14 09:02 AM
    I think the whole thing makes them look wishy washy and like they don't have a plan at all.

Why don't they bring BIS back? All their faithful still clinging to legacy won't move until you do. What else do legacy users want? Why ot just go back to the old OS? legacy users like that better too!
    Blackberry_Boss and rizdragon like this.
    02-24-14 09:03 AM
    Chen said they have to make as few mistakes as possible. This is 1 they will learn from if they do this. It's not the track pad that's not making them switch, if that was the case they wouldn't be going to apple and Google. This would be a really bad idea.

They are what I Call fukkkin up now. Oh well I don't use a physical keyboard anyway. We have moved in to bigger and better things, full touch. And with news of qalcomm's new chips I see a beast in the coming future.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and SmileDahling like this.
    02-24-14 09:04 AM
    And everyone still taking this as concrete information

Posted via CB10
    Nah, I'm taking it as if it is true it better be virtual or they are grasping.
    02-24-14 09:04 AM
    I think the whole thing makes them look wishy washy and like they don't have a plan at all.

Why don't they bring BIS back? All their faithful still clinging to legacy won't move until you do. What else do legacy users want? Why ot just go back to the old OS? legacy users like that better too!
    Yeah man let's all go to BBOS 9 it's a step down from 10 but 2 steps up from 7. Bring back the clock, bring back the battery pulls and bringggggg back the 2 inch screens got dang it!!!!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, redsaph and eldricho like this.
    02-24-14 09:06 AM
    This is a rumor which I hope isn't real.

Posted via CB10 | Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    02-24-14 09:07 AM
    It's entirely possible they'll release some with the trackpad and some without... just like they have some with keyboard and some without.

No need to get melodramatic just yet.
    Oh, but this place thrives on melodrama.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-24-14 09:08 AM
    Ha! I Told You So!

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-24-14 09:11 AM
    Ha! I Told You So!

AH, i was patiently waiting for you belfast ))))))))))) ahahhaha
    02-24-14 09:14 AM
    Ha! I Told You So!

I thought you told us they would bring another legacy phone not a BB10 phone with a trackpad?

OK since you know, are the rest of the buttons going to come back too?
    02-24-14 09:15 AM
    I thought you told us they would bring another legacy phone not a BB10 phone with a trackpad?

OK since you know, are the rest of the buttons going to come back too?
    Before that thread I predicted the return of the trackpad and the rest of the buttons.

Well, not really predicted, I was told. Maybe you should start listening to what I say

FF22 likes this.
    02-24-14 09:17 AM
    Hmmmm...

How will the swipe up gesture work with the trackpad most likely being located right under the middle of the screen?
    The "Back" button could do exactly a "swipe up gesture event" and the OS will respond.

Or... you don't buy a device with the Belt and swipe up.

Or... the BlackBerry logo is above the Belt and that's where you position your thumb to swipe up.

I am baffled why people think that ALL FUTURE BLACKBERRY DEVICES will have the Belt. It's SMH confusing to me that anyone would jump to the conclusion that adding the Belt would a) change the full gesture UX one bit and b) BlackBerry would discontinue full-slab touchscreen devices and only make devices with the Belt.

Do. Not. Get. It.
    02-24-14 09:19 AM
    This is too funny....... how many times in the past year, when complaining about lack of trackpad and buttons, have we heard, "just get used to not having them and stop crying about it"? I suppose now it's "just get used to HAVING them and stop crying about it". Tables turn in a heartbeat. You gotta love it .
    FF22 likes this.
    02-24-14 09:21 AM
    i don't need any buttons or a trackpad on my Z10... or any of the full touch screen device that i would like to buy in the future... if they want to go all trackpad crazy, then let it be on the qwerty devices only...
    I've previously said this multiple times in other threads.
    02-24-14 09:23 AM
    This is too funny....... how many times in the past year, when complaining about lack of trackpad and buttons, have we heard, "just get used to not having them and stop crying about it"? I suppose now it's "just get used to HAVING them and stop crying about it". Tables turn in a heartbeat. You gotta love it .
    Again, there will be choice: full slab devices AND devices with the Belt, (maybe some with keyboards, maybe some without) maybe a device like the Torch 9850, and maybe hopefully a SLIDER for the best of both.

I think this is one of those things "you really have to try it to get it"... just like BB10 itself: when you put a BB10 device in someone's hands and they use it for a bit, the reaction is "you know, this isn't bad!" and after a little more time it's "I actually like this quite a bit!".

I believe with everything I know about psychology and human nature and user interface design that "to know it is to love it" and "it" is BB10, and for lots on CrackBerry, BB10 with the Belt.

I predict even some of the most ardent "GESTURES RULE!" types would get their hands on a BB10 device with a Belt and use it a bit and say "OOOOhhhh... NOW I get it. Yes, this is good." even if in the end they still prefer full slab all gestures.

The problem BB has is so few people WANT to know! They just can't be bothered to spend the time with BB10 to get past the differences and whatever benefits outweigh the app gap... so having more choice in devices means possibly that more BBOS users will give BB10 that sincere try and make the switch and bring more bodies onto BB10, which might even help close the app gap once there are 20 million BB10 users.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-24-14 09:25 AM
    The most relevant statement from the Globe and Mail article:

Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said he�s �not surprised� BlackBerry is bringing back the belt, but added: �I wonder if it just doesn�t matter any more, if it�s too late. I guess there�s a group of BlackBerry users for whom that is a big deal, and it�s a smart thing to keep them happy� after their disappointment with the Q10. �It symbolizes some bad decisions were made� with the first BlackBerry 10 devices by �not listening to their users.�

For the BB enthusiasts who are part of the rapidly dwindling group that retained BBOS devices or bought the Q10 and kept it, this may be relevant (I say "may" because the issue for many BBOS users wasn't so much the "belt" but the missing BBOS functions in BB10) but for the rest of the world, this is really way too little, too late.

By not listening to their users and being deaf to any legitimate criticism during the BB10 launch phase, BBRY has likely permanently lost a huge proportion of longstanding BB users who have defected to other operating systems. The constant refrain of "wait for the 10.x update" started to ring hallow and many users decided that if BBRY was forcing them to use a totally unfamiliar OS in BB10 without many familiar features from BBOS then they might as well take the leap into Android or iOS.

In addition, Chen and BBRY need to figure out who/what they are. Are they "enterprise"? Are they "prosumer"? Are they "consumer"? Unlike Apple and Samsung, BBRY (including Chen) is hell bent on slicing and dicing, and segmenting the market into smaller pieces so that it can find it's own tiny niche. But when they speak about enterprise and in the same breath launch a low end device in Jakarta to appeal to mass consumers, you have to wonder if they actually know what they want to do.

Finally, let's not forget that even in markets where BBRY was once dominant like Indonesia, the news for BBRY is hardly encouraging.

According to a recent Wall Street Journal article (Feb 21, 2014), BBRY's marketshare in Indonesia fell from 43% in 2011 to 14% in 2013. (BlackBerry Set to Unveil New Smartphone for the Indonesian Market - WSJ.com)

The following statements from the Wall Street Journal article encapsulate the situation BBRY faces:

"This month I only sold two BlackBerry handsets, and those that I sold were the low-end models," said Elita, the owner of a phone shop at a mall in Jakarta. Like many Indonesians, she only uses one name. "Last month I didn't sell any BlackBerrys. Many people are now reluctant to spend more than 5 million rupiah ($450) on a smartphone. Android phones are now gaining popularity because there are many apps and games for Android, while the apps for BlackBerry are limited."

"BlackBerry sales is no longer like two years ago due to the entry of Android phones," said Alex Fredrick, the owner of another phone store in the mall. "In the past I could sell 20 BlackBerry handsets in one day, but currently it's only one."
    02-24-14 09:27 AM
    This is a sign of capitulation. If all else fails, you go back to selling your legacy-type hardware to your legacy customers. While there is no future in it, at least there is a present. This is what you do when you are trying to bring the hardware business in for as good a landing as you can.
    02-24-14 09:29 AM
    1 step forward, 2 steps back.
    02-24-14 09:30 AM
657 12345 ...