05-30-16 01:32 AM
34 12
tools
    Hey gents,

I was on the QEW today (passenger) and went to use my freshly acquired BlackBerry Classic and the touch screen has completely stopped working.

The phone can now only be used with the trackpad. Worse yet, I drove over an hour to pick up the phone the other day to a Rogers plus location that had it in stock and now they say I have to go back to return the phone...

I really feel as though I've accidentally entered some weird mode on the phone that has turned off the touch screen, does such a thing exist?

For some reason the BlackBerry assistant keeps coming up which I did not open but maybe that has something to do with it?

I've been search and googling but the phone is too new for much of any support on this.

Any help is appreciated... and happy new year

Posted via CB10
    zodmode247 likes this.
    12-31-14 02:45 PM
    restart the phone?..side keys stuck?

or it might be a screen freeze...happen to me from time to time on my Z 30 as well
    12-31-14 02:49 PM
    Sounds funny, but some people were actually asking for this "feature" here on CB.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 03:00 PM
    I remember someone posted before try to turn touch screen off. Maybe you guys can switch your phones

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 03:02 PM
    Well you can't really use all of the features of the phone without the touch screen gestures.

I've restarted the phone a number of times... issue remains.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 08:22 PM
    Well you can't really use all of the features of the phone without the touch screen gestures.

I've restarted the phone a number of times... issue remains.
    I wonder if a security wipe might resolve it... although it would wipe any data on the phone.
    12-31-14 08:24 PM
    The digitizer might be dead. I had a friend with a Q5 who's digitizer just gave up the ghost.

It just happens, it's normal failure rate, you should be able to just get a replacement.

Passport on Wind
    12-31-14 08:52 PM
    Also, this is weird, but try tapping the power key 3 times quickly. You may have accidentally turned on screen reader mode which leads to wonky touch screen control

Passport on Wind
    arifbsantoso and dracolnyte like this.
    12-31-14 08:54 PM
    Also, this is weird, but try tapping the power key 3 times quickly. You may have accidentally turned on screen reader mode which leads to wonky touch screen control

Passport on Wind
    Agreed. Try this. Is your volume on? If it's in screen reader mode you can hear the annoying robot face read off everything that you are pressing on the screen and it doesn't really do anything that you tap. This happened to me and I was so frustrated and angry I almost smashed my phone trying to figure out how to disable it. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 08:59 PM
    I think that screen reader mode or the assistant mode was it.

Basically I handed the phone to my 7 year old and he did a bunch of things and the phone worked again... I don't know what he did and neither does he but he also fixed an iPad this week the same way

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 10:10 PM
    WTF man. WTF. WTF.

Posted via CB10
    nhanken likes this.
    12-31-14 10:35 PM
    Lol

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-31-14 11:11 PM

Basically I handed the phone to my 7 year old and he did a bunch of things and the phone worked again... I don't know what he did and neither does he but he also fixed an iPad this week the same way

Posted via CB10
    I must admit, this made me smile. The youth today are whizzes at tech, even if we do not want to believe it.
    12-31-14 11:16 PM
    Yup... kids and gadgets are an amazing combination....
    12-31-14 11:20 PM
    Watch out your son is smarter than he looks

Baby rescued daddy?

Posted via CB10

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 11:24 PM
    or Mommy
    12-31-14 11:30 PM
    Yeah I'm not even embarrassed. My boy was so proud he immediately did a victory lap of the living room... but he has no idea what he did to fix the thing.

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-31-14 11:33 PM
    that's right you should not be
    12-31-14 11:36 PM
    It would be nice to know what it was because I was going to swap out the phone at Rogers and I still don't know what happened, why, and how we undid it.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 01:51 AM

Passport on Wind
    thanks. learn something new everyday about my passport
    01-01-15 05:03 AM

Passport on Wind
    what do you mean by power key? the end call button?

because this just happened again and my 7 year old can't work his magic...

why is it going into whatever mode it's going into anyways?
    01-01-15 09:18 PM
    okay this is what you mean: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...r1370978675708

it's not working.

the phone is fully functional and there is no indication that screen reader mode has come on in trying to get the touch screen functional again.

i am really trying hard not to break the phone into the wall...
    01-01-15 09:36 PM
    4 reboots and the screen is working again... jeez... have to make the drive back to the store where i bought it an hour away now i guess....
    01-01-15 09:45 PM
    Again, it could be a bad digitizer. And so an exchange is the only way.

But by power key I mean the button on top of the phone, that's used to turn the device on and off, and lock the screen.

It appears to be a tap of the button 3 times, but that was hampering a lot of users, so it's not confirmed, but this has appeared to have changed to 3 button presses, followed by tapping the screen with two fingers.

So try that, double tap the screen with two fingers, and then press the power key three times quickly. See if that fixes it, if not, it could just be a damaged unit.

Passport on Wind
    01-01-15 10:14 PM
    one can turn that 3 tap button off..it is on by default

settings>accessibility>screen reader beta>tap on it>scroll through it

I have done it...using it and it is pain in the @ss...
    01-01-15 10:35 PM
34 12