09-06-15 04:25 PM
32 12
tools
    I've gone from the 9900 to the Passport and now the Classic. I couldn't get away with the Passport because it was just too big and not very comfortable to type with so I returned it. I didn't like the half/half keyboard arrangement. The good thing with the Passport was that it was very quick.

I quite like BlackBerry Blend, it is a useful app but it has many issues with the Classic. The latest one is that when I get multiple text messages from one contact, on my Mac, as a notification, it shows the message and then a blank box underneath showing the Avatar of another contact who has not text me. The biggest issue is that the system is just far too slow. When typing, the text is hardly moving on the screen and the interface that links with the Classic. On the Passport, Blend did have some issues but certainly the latter, which I feel is down to the power of the device did not occur. I remember with the earlier version of Blend, the text box would be filled with a previous contacts message, meaning I had to delete it all the time. Total rubbish. There's no way Apple would release something that wasn't as ready as this. I really wish BB had come up with an Apple style system instead of what is some kind of basic browser.

When texting, I find that it can't send the texts quick enough, so when I press return and start typing the first letter is missing. Most annoying. I know many will say thats because of the network but this didn't happen with the Passport or the 9900.

The camera- I was in a shop the other week and needed to take a picture of a price label on the shelf. I tried and tried to get it to focus to no joy. I had declined the offer of a friend to use his iPhone 4S so cue my embarrassment when I need him to do it for me. The Classic photo was blurry and useless. I've had BlackBerry's since year dot and apart from the Passport which had a good camera (about time) the camera's are still rubbish. How can an iPhone 4S have a better camera than a BB launched a few months ago?

The other issue is the versatility of the OS. I really struggled to figure out how to mark all my emails as read. Why can't it be as easy as it is on OS 7?

Finally, the Classic really struggles with Android apps vs the Classic. It's just plain annoying that they are so slow.

From reading here I see the Q10 has basically the same processing power as the Classic which is most surprising.

I am thinking of returning the Classic. I do NOT want an iPhone because I need the keyboard. I am loathe to use an iPhone but I am feeling like there is no choice if you want a good camera and decent apps. My 9900 is kaput, which is why I decided to get these new BB's. I am considering buying another 9900 on eBay and go back to that.

Which, quite frankly, is just sad.
    Mathijs Booden likes this.
    02-06-15 07:59 AM
    " There's no way Apple would release something that wasn't as ready as this. "

Looking at the issues with IOS8 releases, I beg to differ.
    Hulk123, CerveloJohn and andy275 like this.
    02-06-15 08:04 AM
    I bow to your expert wisdom because I am certainly not an expert in these matters. I have just found BB to be more prone to issues than Apple over the years.
    02-06-15 08:07 AM
    I would swap it and see if the issue persists. I have had the Classic for over a month and no issues. Love it!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 08:23 AM
    Many issues indeed. Sad but true.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 08:26 AM
    peace out
    02-06-15 08:31 AM
    I have had the Classic for over a month with no issues my first pictures was crappy but improved ,Read a little more on it and give it some time it's not so out of the box like 9900 was .
    02-06-15 09:04 AM
    To address your "mark all as read" issue, just hold down on the day / date on the hub, then select "mark prior read"
    Too many issues: thinking of returning-img_20150206_103802.png

Posted via CB10
    brillo9 likes this.
    02-06-15 09:39 AM
    Thanks for your replies and thanks to armanatron for the mark prior read tip.

KennedyJamesP you really think it has a hardware fault? What about updating to the latest OS mine is on 10.3.1.747; the app offers no further update though it did download some unspecified 7MB one. I bought it in the UK SIM free so its not tied to any operator. I remember downloading updates for Bold and removed the vendor.xml. With OS 10 can we only update when the carrier who's SIM is being used offers an update?

Regarding Blend, is this not a software issue? Baring in mind with both the Passport and the Classic it has behaved strangely?

I've used BB since 2002. I just wish they would give me a "powerhouse" phone that has the form factor of the Classic and the features of a Passport.
    02-06-15 10:08 AM
    Thanks for your replies and thanks to armanatron for the mark prior read tip.

KennedyJamesP you really think it has a hardware fault? What about updating to the latest OS mine is on 10.3.1.747; the app offers no further update though it did download some unspecified 7MB one. I bought it in the UK SIM free so its not tied to any operator. I remember downloading updates for Bold and removed the vendor.xml. With OS 10 can we only update when the carrier who's SIM is being used offers an update?

Regarding Blend, is this not a software issue? Baring in mind with both the Passport and the Classic it has behaved strangely?

I've used BB since 2002. I just wish they would give me a "powerhouse" phone that has the form factor of the Classic and the features of a Passport.
    maybe Classic 2...hopefully if not then some will go elsewhere
    02-06-15 12:07 PM
    maybe Classic 2...hopefully if not then some will go elsewhere
    Yep, 'fraid so.
    02-06-15 12:25 PM
    It sounds like two issues, a form factor issue with Passport caused you to select a different device, and that also didn't meet your use cases which include higher cpu specs and better non-native app support.

I feel strongly you should consider an iphone or android device. The items you need have not been released into a revision yet, so it could be months or a year before any are addressed meaningfully for you.

If the Z series wouldn't work, it's okay to walk to a product that meets your needs.

No consolation, you have no problem returning units you don't like, but let us know where you landed.
    anon(9155131) and andy957 like this.
    02-06-15 01:53 PM
    Had my classic for a month loving it this is a very excellent phone any one looking for the switch I would recommend 100% battery life is the main thing I like and to type on a real key board I recommend learn the short cuts the classic has WOW I mean it can give u and edge and experience that iphone or android that never come close too drop my phone 4ft drop face first on the asphalt complete naked and u know what happen (nothing)the gorilla glass 3 is very strong product

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 10:33 PM
    The Passport took a very long time to get used to typing on... now that I have, I love it. I am faster on this thing than any other device I have ever owned. And accurate which, of course, is the same with any physical keyboard.

I don't think your issues with the Classic are unwarranted. Android apps are not the most efficient when it comes to CPU usage which is why I'm sure the Classic lags for you. Some Android apps seem to run in the background [sneakily] and they will slow your device down. It's the same thing on lower end Android phones (my partner had a Galaxy 'Ace' and that thing slowed down like crazy, eventually becoming unusable). If you wanted to give your Classic a last chance, I'd suggest going through your Android apps with a fine toothed comb. An app like 'Task Manager' in BlackBerry World should help with that.

As far as the camera goes, it seems like BlackBerry didn't put as much into the camera hardware on the Classic so it's never going to be as good as the camera in the iPhone or even the Passport.

Good luck to you. It's a challenge to find the perfect phone. There are always pros and cons.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    andy957 likes this.
    02-06-15 10:51 PM
    I do NOT want an iPhone because I need the keyboard
    You can always buy an iPhone and a Typo Version 2 Keyboard
    02-06-15 11:02 PM
    You don't get a classic for the issues you describe lol. Gotta accept it or

I use my classic for texts, emails, bbm, I have two android apps ported. My personal finance app and to do list apps I've used for years.

I like my calendar on my note 4 x my calculator app (graphing ), camera, social media when I do use them. Etc

I am returning mines since the light bleed over the back and end call button is going to bother me lol. Try getting two devices? Productivity and a fun one with the latest specs is what I decided to do

Sent from my: SM-N910T / SQC100-4 with Tapatalk : PIN 2BFBBCE3 : T-Mobile 4G LTE
    Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    02-06-15 11:27 PM
    I'm finding the Classic to be utter sh!te. I have had one since mid january and stopped using it, returned to my Bold 9900.
    Skype doesnt work at all and that was the reason I upgraded.

It really is a useless brick, and a heavy one at that!!!!!!!!
    02-07-15 07:39 PM
    I'm finding the Classic to be utter sh!te. I have had one since mid january and stopped using it, returned to my Bold 9900.
    Skype doesnt work at all and that was the reason I upgraded.

It really is a useless brick, and a heavy one at that!!!!!!!!
    Your opinion - and you are certainly entitled to your opinion - but obviously there are many, many others who disagree with you.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    02-07-15 09:04 PM
    What use case requires you to Skype on a phone?
    02-07-15 10:29 PM
    I've gone from the 9900 to the Passport and now the Classic. I couldn't get away with the Passport because it was just too big and not very comfortable to type with so I returned it. I didn't like the half/half keyboard arrangement. The good thing with the Passport was that it was very quick.
    I effectively went from an iPhone 5s to the Q10 and now the Classic. Did not get the Passport the design/styling was too polarizing. The closest to the 9900 that i had was the 9700.

I quite like BlackBerry Blend, it is a useful app but it has many issues with the Classic. The latest one is that when I get multiple text messages from one contact, on my Mac, as a notification, it shows the message and then a blank box underneath showing the Avatar of another contact who has not text me. The biggest issue is that the system is just far too slow. When typing, the text is hardly moving on the screen and the interface that links with the Classic. On the Passport, Blend did have some issues but certainly the latter, which I feel is down to the power of the device did not occur. I remember with the earlier version of Blend, the text box would be filled with a previous contacts message, meaning I had to delete it all the time. Total rubbish. There's no way Apple would release something that wasn't as ready as this. I really wish BB had come up with an Apple style system instead of what is some kind of basic browser.
    Blend for me is neither here or there - like Continuity on Apple.

When texting, I find that it can't send the texts quick enough, so when I press return and start typing the first letter is missing. Most annoying. I know many will say thats because of the network but this didn't happen with the Passport or the 9900.
    I find this somewhat concerning. I do not have the 9700 so i can only compare to the Q10 and the iPhone 5s. Much faster on the iPhone .... as for accuracy the Q10/Classic wins hands down.

The camera- I was in a shop the other week and needed to take a picture of a price label on the shelf. I tried and tried to get it to focus to no joy. I had declined the offer of a friend to use his iPhone 4S so cue my embarrassment when I need him to do it for me. The Classic photo was blurry and useless. I've had BlackBerry's since year dot and apart from the Passport which had a good camera (about time) the camera's are still rubbish. How can an iPhone 4S have a better camera than a BB launched a few months ago?
    I believe that the camera on the Q10/Classic is similar 8mp 1080p video same software. *I don't use the camera on either the Q10/Classic - other than basic rudimentary stuff e.g snaps. Cannot comment on the Passport. Did you shoot images on your 9900? The iPhone 4s camera is better than the 9900 and some would argue better than the Q10/Classic. I can certainly vouch that the iPhone 5s is a better camera and shooting experience than the Q10/Classic.

The other issue is the versatility of the OS. I really struggled to figure out how to mark all my emails as read. Why can't it be as easy as it is on OS 7?
    OS 7 was the hallmark of legacy devices. without peer.
    OS 10 imo was made for touch screen.

Finally, the Classic really struggles with Android apps vs the Classic. It's just plain annoying that they are so slow.
    I have never side loaded on the Q10 nor will i on the Classic. Why?
    The Blackberry for me is all about communication: call quality, sms, email, bbm, twitter, linkedin - started my journey with BB on the Pearl 8100. BB for me as a communication device is without peer.

BB = communication powerhouse.
    iDevice, Android = multimedia and albeit communication.

Ask yourself this. When you had/was using your 9900 did i (you) do multimedia or simply got on with work. Work is work, play is play, i try not to mix it up.

From reading here I see the Q10 has basically the same processing power as the Classic which is most surprising.

I am thinking of returning the Classic. I do NOT want an iPhone because I need the keyboard. I am loathe to use an iPhone but I am feeling like there is no choice if you want a good camera and decent apps. My 9900 is kaput, which is why I decided to get these new BB's. I am considering buying another 9900 on eBay and go back to that.

Which, quite frankly, is just sad.
    If you thought one device would give it all, then reality has come down on you.

*Give the Classic a go - a fair dinkum go.
    Use the device the way you used your 9900, slow down. things are done a little differently on OS10, who knows you may find that the Classic may increase your productivity in a new way and with an up to date form factor.

Hope this helps you make a better informed decision.
    andy957 likes this.
    02-07-15 11:30 PM
    Sell it to me! For a good price I will struggle with it....