I have an interesting situation i m curious to see if someone knows if this is possible.

I bought my Classic GSM, one of the first shipments in Dec. I use it with Tmobile ( i left VZW to go with them so i could use the BB)

Now that ATT and Verizon are looking to support the Classic, i want to see if i can port my phone back over to one of them. The reason is simple. With the GSM phone, when i leave Tmobiles network it would normally swtich to ATT/VZW's networks for coverage...that is if you dont have a GSM phone. BUt since i do, i simply lose complete connection and coverage altogether. or at least that is what i ve been assuming will happen.

Does anyone know if my GSM phone can be ported over to ATT/VZW? and if i keep it with Tmobile i will lose all coverage if i leave Tmobiles network since ATT/VZW dont support GSM phones?

thank you in advance!

Jonathan
    02-17-15 01:15 PM
    Verizon and GSM is a no go. Verizon is CDMA only. You will need a Verizon branded device or a CDMA variant of one.

AT&T is GSM and does share some of the same bands and frequencies as T-Mobile, however you may be hard pressed to get 4G/LTE on a "world phone" type GSM device.
    If you do want a Classic on AT&T, it would be in you best interest to wait and see what exact model is going to be released on AT&T, determine it's specs/bands/frequencies, and then decide if you want to make the jump or if you want to swap out devices.
    Jonathan Lee3 likes this.
    02-17-15 01:44 PM
    if you have the -4 version it works on AT&T. Not sure where you got your phone at but it has T-Mobile's bands as well as AT&T
    02-17-15 02:18 PM
    Verizon uses CDMA, so definitely a no go for any GSM device, just like DaFoxGrey said above.
    I believe any T-mobile USA device will also work on the AT&T network.

If you're looking for more information about supported frequencies for the different models it can be found here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-977803/
    According to this, both the -2 and -4 models work with AT&T and if you have a T-Mobile USA device it's probably -4.

Hope this helps!
    02-17-15 04:30 PM
    What is the -4 Version?
    02-17-15 06:59 PM
    ah perfect thank you!
    02-17-15 07:00 PM