Hey guys. So I'm thinking about dumping my iPhone 5 and getting myself a blackberry classic. I don't really use apps at all. I don't play games. I check my email and surf the web a lot. I also use my phone to read pdf's, documents, and powerpoints from class. Will the classic do me well in these categories? The only reason I'm hesitant is because the phone seems kind of slow and laggy in some YouTube videos.

I really want this phone. It's so beautiful. I had an old bold for a few months about 3 years ago, but it was only temporary since I was borrowing a friends. I enjoyed it while I had it. Also, please don't tell me to go with the Passport if the lag is a concern. I don't find the passport attractive.

Appreciate the help guys!

Edit: Also, do you guys think a future OS update could fix the lag issues? If anything I just see future OS updates adding features and making it possibly more slower?
    01-24-15 01:15 AM
    Been using my Classic for a week now and LOVING it, especially the keyboard! The device is fast, no lags whatsoever on daily tasks. If you don't use so many apps and don't play games, this phone is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    moyah8, Harkules and tado261 like this.
    01-24-15 03:03 AM
    Sounds like you need a Passport. Great for reading PDF's, email etc, no lag whatsoever, although the size is a turn off for some. I was blown away when I took mine out of the box, but absolutely love it now. The keyboard is fantastic too.

(edit :just read last bit of your post) have you had a look at one? It is actually a good looking phone, especially if you managed to get a red or black/gold limited edition. I was not impressed by what I had seen in pics but this phone really grows on you. It is definitely not for everyone and maybe the Classic is for you. Either way, you will be impressed with how much better BB10 is for your intended purposes
    Posted by Passport, Blackberry's Beast!
    Last edited by Ozfork; 01-24-15 at 03:49 AM.
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 03:33 AM
    I've had the Classic for a few weeks now, and have to say that I have neither noticed the lag-issues nor the keyboard double typing issues some people mention. I couldn't be happier with it, and i've had several legacy devices, aswell as the Z- and Q10.
    I love the Classic - it's beautiful, fast and does what I need it do - be a communication device (emails, IMs), aswell as read PDFs, administrate and monitor my servers remotely, and ofcourse the toolbelt is a huge + for me aswell. I really missed that when I went to BB10 devices.

I would say go for it - it's a great device, but ofcourse it's subject to personal opinion, so if you can borrow one to try it out, that'd probably be a good idea - it's not cheap afterall

Posted via CB10
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 03:58 AM
    I'm coming from a Bold 9900 if you update your phone with BB10.3.2072 operating software you should have less lag. Where there's a lag is usually with a Android app. For a work phone it works great.

After you get your Classic and have any questions or problems, everybody will gladly assist you.

Welcome to CrackBerry

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 04:21 AM
    On the topic of the classic it seems that it will suit your needs just fine. Never encounter lag (z10 user) and bb10 is remarkably efficient on all hardware. One problem is that BlackBerry 10 is phasing out flash in the browser so if you have a need for it that may be a deal breaker

Also I'm sorry if I sound pushy but if you want the best pdf viewing and lag prevention ( never had lag but future proofing is never a bad idea) and don't like the normal passport I suggest you look at the AT&T edition passport it looks more normal. it has rounded corners not pointy ones. Like a square iphone 4/4s
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 04:51 AM
    I use my phone similar to what you mentioned your use, no apps or games! Having said that, the Classic suits me great, and i'm loving the battery life. On a good run I get 30 hours in-between charge.

Great phone with no lag issues and i'm using the original OS that came with the device.

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/
    Harkules and malyana like this.
    01-24-15 06:33 AM
    Thanks for all the information guys! I'm just waiting for ATT to release it here in the States. I think I'm going to grab myself one. Can't wait!

What's your personal preference btw? Black or white?
    01-24-15 01:05 PM
    It only really lags when running Android apps. Other than that the phone is pretty smooth. I only use my phone for texts, emails, calls, and occasional web browsing. It works really well.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 01:34 PM
    What is lag? Loading times? Everything has loading times... ios is really good as disguising them, android typically has low load times as launch and it gets worse and worse as you own the phone with updates getting and putting more and more. BB10 however seems to actually improve with updates.

Posted via CB10
    niftymu and Harkules like this.
    01-24-15 01:57 PM
    I have the Classic and a Passport. I keep going back to the Classic for it is just easier to use. Passport screen is awesome but for ease of use the Classic hands down is best in my opinion. Both are great options and if people would give Blackberry 10 a shot they will be pleasantly surprised.

Posted via CB10
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 02:02 PM
    Depends on how soon you want it. Black is out and white is not. Personally having seen picture of both I can't decide but as of right now the decision is made for you. I don't know when white will launch sorry I can't help with that
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 02:04 PM
    I think you'll be happy switching from the schizoid Apple environment to BlackBerry. And since you are not using your smartphone as en entertainment center (e.g. Games) you'll see all the possibilities and power of BlackBerry as a communication device... Nothing manages email, text messages, and so on as a Blackberry. I had 2 iPhones, 3 android smartphones but I'm always coming back to BlackBerry. The Classic is my 7th and boy am I glad to have that keyboard, trackpad and toolbelt... love the weight, love the LCD screen...

I am even thinking getting a new 9780, just for old times sake... I need professional help!

 Classic
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 02:28 PM
    Z30/Rio Z3 for what you mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    Chris Chin likes this.
    01-24-15 03:05 PM
    Thanks for all the information guys! I'm just waiting for ATT to release it here in the States. I think I'm going to grab myself one. Can't wait!

What's your personal preference btw? Black or white?
    My preference is black.

Something about the name (BlackBerry) that just makes me want it to be Black. :-)

And the Classic with the silver bezel is just so slick. Reminds me of my Bold 9000 (The first Bold).

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 05:23 PM
    Z30/Rio Z3 for what you mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, ... you might want to look at a Z30, ... especially coming from another all touch phone.

That is, unless you really pound out a lot of texts and emails.

Sent from my Z30 on CB10
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 06:39 PM
    Love my Classic, had the 9900, Z10 and Q10. No lags. Love the sexy black color too. Sick.

Posted via Classic
    Harkules and moyah8 like this.
    01-24-15 08:12 PM
    It's not slow at all, reviewers are on steroids for no reason. Honestly, you want to see lag? Look at Samsung's touchwiz overlay. That's lag.

I don't have a Classic, but I have a Q10 (highly recommend this phone too). I'm running a Q10 (Same specs as Classic) on (same official classic OS) not slow at all.

The one thing you may miss coming from an iPhone is the camera, but the camera is still strong, just not to par/better by any means.

Posted via 10.3.1
    Harkules and moyah8 like this.
    01-24-15 10:42 PM
    moved from Galaxy S3 a month ago and don't miss Android at all! Went back to BB with the Classic and love it!
    Harkules likes this.
    01-24-15 10:56 PM
    Better checkout this article,

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:38 PM
    The only thing I will miss are the apps...I made the switch from Z3 Compact, which is an awesome phone as well...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-25-15 12:13 AM