I love the charging dock on my 9900. Do you think the classic will have a companion?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 08:43 PM
    Dhabkirk said in his review one was coming. Don't know his sources. There's are third party ones and if you can get your hands on the wireless version you can buy a wireless charger.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:09 PM
    BIG fan of charging docks, here. If the new Q gets closer to 2500mah than 3000 then charging docks will be even that much more popular. The Classic's bottom usb port configuration affords relatively convenient possibilities for charging dock configurations.

Given insertion and extraction force common with usb, single handed device extraction might require anchoring the dock to it's desktop. Wireless Qi offers exciting zero insertion force possibilities more similar to what you might be accustomed to with charging contact Bolds, for example. That way us proponents of "single handed" operation can minimize minor priority distractions in our lives. Hoping that the same Qi setups for the Z30 work on the new Q.
    10-16-14 08:54 AM
    Think there will be a charging dock?-img_20141016_123108.jpg

This is the wireless charging dock I use for my z30

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame and idssteve like this.
    10-16-14 11:31 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141016_123108.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	306504

This is the wireless charging dock I use for my z30

Posted via CB10
    Nice, more info? Like the name or maker so we can look it up? I am hoping to get a version with wireless charging and would like something like that for it...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-16-14 12:44 PM
    The company name is tylt. I think it's the only wireless charger they make. Comes in a few colors.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-16-14 04:26 PM
    The company name is tylt. I think it's the only wireless charger they make. Comes in a few colors.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you spork, I'm looking at the image via the app so couldn't zoom in to make out what it says on there. They really should add that feature.

10-16-14 04:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Has it ever made your Z30 really hot? I'm reading the description and it advertises that it is "quick charging" and charges as fast as a plug in. I remember reading one complaint about Qi wireless charging is that it's slower, and actually, I was hoping for that, and it's one reason why I wanted my next phone to have it, besides saving the micro-sd port from continuous plugging and unplugging. Reason being, a slower charge means less heat, and heat is the thing that makes a battery deteriorate quicker... I don't mind it being slow since I intend to use it bedside for it to charge overnight, so there's no rush there... How have your experience been with it? Does it make your phone fairly warm from the charging??
    10-16-14 11:01 PM
    I really like that wireless charger. Just hoping BlackBerry makes one or a dock. I have the BlackBerry oem dock for the z10 and love it

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 11:13 PM
    When I got the Passport the main thing I thought that I would miss from the 9900 would be the Charging Dock, but the battery life is so good that I don't need to top it up during the day.

If the battery life on the Classic is anything like the Passport (and it should be with smaller screen size with smaller battery) you may well find that you don't actually need one.

The only thing I do miss is not having the clock visible on my desk to glance at for a quick time check.

If you do end up using a dock with the Classic, with Blend you will not need to take it off the dock too often so wear of he USB Port can be minimised, and indeed, if you use speaker for calls you can leave it on there all day until you need to pocket the phone.
    10-17-14 07:50 AM
    I don't need the dock for charging during the day. I use mine as a bedside stand for charging at night.

Also, if you ever used the official dock for the Torch, even though it used the USB port, it was made to be looser than a normal cable to it didn't put much stress on the port.

Since the phone rests in the dock, in didn't need the normal amount of friction. It also meant that you could pop it out easily with one hand.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 08:30 AM
    When I got the Passport the main thing I thought that I would miss from the 9900 would be the Charging Dock, but the battery life is so good that I don't need to top it up during the day.

If the battery life on the Classic is anything like the Passport (and it should be with smaller screen size with smaller battery) you may well find that you don't actually need one.

The only thing I do miss is not having the clock visible on my desk to glance at for a quick time check.

If you do end up using a dock with the Classic, with Blend you will not need to take it off the dock too often so wear of he USB Port can be minimised, and indeed, if you use speaker for calls you can leave it on there all day until you need to pocket the phone.
    Wireless with blend seems a natural combo. How long does your PP take to recover from a deep cycle? Can you use "ordinary" usb chargers or does it need a "high output" charger?
    10-17-14 09:06 AM
    I don't need the dock for charging during the day. I use mine as a bedside stand for charging at night.

Also, if you ever used the official dock for the Torch, even though it used the USB port, it was made to be looser than a normal cable to it didn't put much stress on the port.

Since the phone rests in the dock, in didn't need the normal amount of friction. It also meant that you could pop it out easily with one hand.

Posted via CB10
    Good to know about usb fit.
    10-17-14 09:07 AM
    Wireless with blend seems a natural combo. How long does your PP take to recover from a deep cycle? Can you use "ordinary" usb chargers or does it need a "high output" charger?
    I have just been using the charger that came with the device, it gives quite a fast charge, not timed it precisely, but I remember that after I updated the OS last weekend it took maybe 20 minutes to go from 80% to fully charged.

When you plug it in, the device monitor will give you a time to fully charged reading, but I have noticed that the Blackberry Virtual Expert app that comes pre loaded shows that it will continue charging for another 10 minutes or so after you get a 100% reading before the charger cuts out.

I t would therefore seem to be fine to leave it on a Dock overnight as there is definitely a cut off that prevents overcharging.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-17-14 09:43 AM
    Has it ever made your Z30 really hot? I'm reading the description and it advertises that it is "quick charging" and charges as fast as a plug in. I remember reading one complaint about Qi wireless charging is that it's slower, and actually, I was hoping for that, and it's one reason why I wanted my next phone to have it, besides saving the micro-sd port from continuous plugging and unplugging. Reason being, a slower charge means less heat, and heat is the thing that makes a battery deteriorate quicker... I don't mind it being slow since I intend to use it bedside for it to charge overnight, so there's no rush there... How have your experience been with it? Does it make your phone fairly warm from the charging??
    There has been times I picked it off the charger and it felt warm but I think it's also what the phone is doing at the time. For instance when I grab it off the charger in the morning (I keep it on bedside mode at night) it's not hot at all. At the office it can get warm sometimes, but I'm pretty fast and furious. I drop my phone on the charger off and on all day as I run to meetings and move around. Overall it's not really the charger that does it alone, it's just a factor to many things. I would say most of the times I grab the phone off the charger it's cool. No issues at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 09:53 AM
    It just came to my mind that maybe classic will use those speaker cover grids as charging contacts?
    10-17-14 10:10 AM
    Sorry, I just read in another thread here on CB, there WILL be wireless charging in 2x versions.
    10-17-14 10:14 AM
    There has been times I picked it off the charger and it felt warm but I think it's also what the phone is doing at the time. For instance when I grab it off the charger in the morning (I keep it on bedside mode at night) it's not hot at all. At the office it can get warm sometimes, but I'm pretty fast and furious. I drop my phone on the charger off and on all day as I run to meetings and move around. Overall it's not really the charger that does it alone, it's just a factor to many things. I would say most of the times I grab the phone off the charger it's cool. No issues at all.

Posted via CB10
    The charger does receive feedback, and will stop charging or trickle charge when your phone is fully charged, that would explain why it's cool in the morning because it has stopped charging a while ago. When you pick it up while it's still charging and it's warm, is it "warm" or "hot"? I don't know if by warm you could mean very warm or something, lol. I see one that promises to keep the phone cool, but it's just a pad and not a stand...

10-17-14 01:04 PM
    The charger does receive feedback, and will stop charging or trickle charge when your phone is fully charged, that would explain why it's cool in the morning because it has stopped charging a while ago. When you pick it up while it's still charging and it's warm, is it "warm" or "hot"? I don't know if by warm you could mean very warm or something, lol. I see one that promises to keep the phone cool, but it's just a pad and not a stand...

I can say for sure there really hasn't been a time I grabbed the phone off the charger and said wow that's hot. The times I did notice it was a little warmer than expected it was very brief. It's was nothing like running a video would be. Remember that the back plastic in the classic might conduct heat better / worse than glass weave. So no promises the classic will have the same results.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 07:00 AM
    I can say for sure there really hasn't been a time I grabbed the phone off the charger and said wow that's hot. The times I did notice it was a little warmer than expected it was very brief. It's was nothing like running a video would be. Remember that the back plastic in the classic might conduct heat better / worse than glass weave. So no promises the classic will have the same results.

Posted via CB10
    Oh ok, thanks for the info. I'll definitely check that out if I do get my hands on a version that supports wireless charging.

10-18-14 11:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    How does it handle "drained to shutdown" recovery? Does the device seem to need any internal power to initiate charge control feedback? Or is all control power also provided via induction??
    10-18-14 11:31 AM
    Well when your phone is fully drained there's still power in it. At least that's my under standing. That's so your phone has enough power to boot again. I don't think my phone has ever been that dead.

But for the once or twice my phone did happen to die, putting it on the charger would bring it back to life. I forgot if it had a pic of the battery on the screen or just the blackberry logo but I remember an indicator of sorts that it was working.

I have the z30 and the battery life is unreal so I haven't been through it more than a couple of times. If it happens again I'll give you more details.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-18-14 04:17 PM
    Well when your phone is fully drained there's still power in it. At least that's my under standing. That's so your phone has enough power to boot again. I don't think my phone has ever been that dead.

But for the once or twice my phone did happen to die, putting it on the charger would bring it back to life. I forgot if it had a pic of the battery on the screen or just the blackberry logo but I remember an indicator of sorts that it was working.

I have the z30 and the battery life is unreal so I haven't been through it more than a couple of times. If it happens again I'll give you more details.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks Spork. Yeah, don't do anything intentionally. We have a test mule z30 we can torture test. Will report our findings. That z30 is already in house testing a client's project concept. Long story.

How would you compare charge rate against usb?
    10-18-14 05:24 PM