The Classic doesn't "need" to be better than the Q10. Q10 owners are not the target market. It needs to be better than the 9900 and offer as close to a similar experience as possible with the new OS (hence the toolbelt). The spec choices are being made to keep the cost down so it is affordable to a larger demographic. If BlackBerry had put Passport specs into this phone, there would be griping about how the phone is too expensive.

Take it for what it is, a mid-range BB10 device designed to try to bring Legacy users into the fold. This isn't meant to be a flagship.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    I agree that 9900 owners are more of the target but I also think that q10 owners are the target also. You do not need great specs like the passport, specs of the z30 are fine because you can still tell the difference in performance between the z30 and the z10 or q10.
    09-18-14 01:19 PM
    It needs to be better than the q10 because I am a z10 owner, wanting to go back to a keyboard but I don't want to downgrade specs. Not only that, I don't want a cross grade. I want at least z30 specs. I also want a low price so only a moderate upgrade is needed. 1.7 is fine if they can get it at a $400 price point.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 08:32 PM
    It needs to be better than the q10 because I am a z10 owner, wanting to go back to a keyboard but I don't want to downgrade specs. Not only that, I don't want a cross grade. I want at least z30 specs. I also want a low price so only a moderate upgrade is needed. 1.7 is fine if they can get it at a $400 price point.

Posted via CB10
    exactly.
    09-18-14 10:12 PM
    The Classic doesn't "need" to be better than the Q10. Q10 owners are not the target market. It needs to be better than the 9900 and offer as close to a similar experience as possible with the new OS (hence the toolbelt). The spec choices are being made to keep the cost down so it is affordable to a larger demographic. If BlackBerry had put Passport specs into this phone, there would be griping about how the phone is too expensive.

Take it for what it is, a mid-range BB10 device designed to try to bring Legacy users into the fold. This isn't meant to be a flagship.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    idk where all these ppl get the idea that the Classic will be cheap. The only thing John Chen said that might indicate its price is that "it will be crafted from premium material".
    09-18-14 10:13 PM
    i think u guys are dreaming if u think the classic is going to be a 400.00 phone. all the money they save by using non removable Batt and lower specs is going right into bby's pocket this will be a 500.00 phone min. i dont have any insider info or anything like that but u watch it will be no less than 500

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-18-14 10:31 PM
    i think u guys are dreaming if u think the classic is going to be a 400.00 phone. all the money they save by using non removable Batt and lower specs is going right into bby's pocket this will be a 500.00 phone min. i dont have any insider info or anything like that but u watch it will be no less than 500

I dunno. I guess a bunch of us are hoping Chen has better business sense than BlackBerry previous ceos. The z3 was affordable and it did well where it was released. Now we have phones like the moto g at 179. I hope they at least hit the 350 mark. I think anything more os going to have me start guessing their spec choices

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 06:48 AM
    exactly at 350 ill buy one in a heartbeat but at 500+ the decision is much harder to make.

09-19-14 12:10 PM

Isn't the BlackBerry Bold at 400 dollars right now in their website?
    09-19-14 04:16 PM
    yes the bold is 400 right now

09-19-14 04:49 PM
    The following are the things people argue whether the Classic should have or not, and here is my opinion.
    Specs (CPU/GPU): Should at least be better than the Q10, and should us new generation processor like Snapdragon 600/800 etc. Reason: gives incentive for z10/q10 users to upgrade. For all the people saying that Q10 specs are good enough, no. There are visible room for improvements, and the following scenarios are when Z10/Q10 specs constantly struggles by different degree:
    1. open up the text/bbm chat page (text history takes few seconds to load depend on the length)
    2. switch between language(sometimes) or typing a long text (200+ words)
    3. Navigating the phone while BBM Voice or BBM Chat
    4. Having multiple tabs open in browser and switching between them (sometimes the loaded page even has to reload)
    5. Having 6+ apps open at the same time
    6. Running Android apps.
    7. Carema response slowly at night time (slow to focus, lags significantly)
    8. Boot time (currently takes about 1.5 to 2 mins)
    I personally don't play much gaming, and I think playing games on a small screen is pretty pointless anyway so I excluded that. For people who is saying that I should not have so many tabs/apps open at the same time, BB10 is supposed to be a multi-tasking OS, and Blackberry should put the latest generation internals to ensure that experience is good. And for people who is saying that just don't download Android apps, with the app situation of Blackberry's ecosystem today, it's hard not to. For people who is saying that better CPU drains batter it is actually incorrect. Newer chips runs more efficiently so unless the phone requires the CPU to run at a higher level, which the newer chip is capable of doing while old chips just struggles, in normal day light-task usage the newer chips actually saves battery in comparison. Plus, it's always nice to have better specs as it ensures that the phone will get more future support with OS updates etc.
    3 GB of Ram: nice to have, as maybe it can allow more than the current limit of 8 apps running in the background. But 2 GB is just fine in current condition especially after 10.3 Ram usage optimization.
    Better Camera Specs: yes, better camera specs are always welcomed, everybody relies on their phones to take pictures now. And Blackberry's camera in low light is just terrible currently.
    Charging Contact: Personally don't care that much. However I think wireless charging will be a nice addition.
    Removable battery: useful, but can be compensated by a battery bank. If they can make the battery itself bigger and make the phone itself more sturdy and durable, then it's fine.
    Screen Resolution: I can't even tell the difference in PIXEL DENSITY between a 9900 and a Q10, therefore I think 720p will be fine for me as resolution goes. However, it should have great contrast, colour reproduction and brightness. These are more important in making the screen sharp comparing to just screen resolution alone.
    Micro-SD card slot: Must needed, cloud storage is not fully mature yet with expensive data plans etc.
    Convenience Key: Very useful but sadly unlikely to get it. However I believe the 10.3.1 will bring the shortcut key functionality back (eg. press B on the home screen to open the browser) which compensate the lack of convenience key to a degree.
    Multi SimSlot: A shame that probably won't see it, as it's very useful for someone travels a lot like me.

What do you guys think?

Yeah I agree with you. Atleast the classic should have a more powerful CPU. The ram should be atleast 3 GB and the battery should be a longer lasting removable one. Then I would switch my Q10 for the classic. BlackBerry should start thinking about their specs. Samsung brought out a new phone with an octacore processor and 4 GB of ram. Most new phones are getting more powerful and I don't see BlackBerry trying anything. Obviously being a BlackBerry lover i would want a new bb but the phones has to be upgraded, not go back in time or remain unchanged

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    09-19-14 10:20 PM
    Also if screen rotating capabilities was introduced it would be great

09-19-14 10:22 PM
    Yeah I agree with you. Atleast the classic should have a more powerful CPU. The ram should be atleast 3 GB and the battery should be a longer lasting removable one. Then I would switch my Q10 for the classic. BlackBerry should start thinking about their specs. Samsung brought out a new phone with an octacore processor and 4 GB of ram. Most new phones are getting more powerful and I don't see BlackBerry trying anything. Obviously being a BlackBerry lover i would want a new bb but the phones has to be upgraded, not go back in time or remain unchanged

Octocore , 4gb ram .. is not needed on a phone that has an optimized OS . The fact that android phones need it , is mostly because android is a pretty sluggish OS . Secondly : MARKETING .
    I would not pay premium for a phone with 32 core cpu and 64GB ram . Because .. it's useless for BB OS 10 .

It only makes the phone more expensive and gives you a shorter battery life . 2 important things that nobody wants .
    09-20-14 05:27 AM
    Octocore , 4gb ram .. is not needed on a phone that has an optimized OS . The fact that android phones need it , is mostly because android is a pretty sluggish OS . Secondly : MARKETING .
    I would not pay premium for a phone with 32 core cpu and 64GB ram . Because .. it's useless for BB OS 10 .

It only makes the phone more expensive and gives you a shorter battery life . 2 important things that nobody wants .
    Android is not a sluggish os. It's an open os. So Samsung has no control over the types of apps the user installs or what google does with it. All they can control is hardware. So they need to load up their phones to make them future proof in case the user or os gets very resource intensive. . BlackBerry apple and windows control their os and can optimize the software to do more with less. So the specs don't need to be bleeding edge. This overall is a better place to be than android land. Just hope blackberry can find a way out of the rut.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 09:59 AM
    What I don't understand: the 9900 supposed to have 8GB ram (which it seems like the phone did not use and we ended up with abour 170mb application memory)

Now Classic has 2GB. How much is going to be free to use by user?

Can somebody explain please.
    09-24-14 04:27 PM
    What I don't understand: the 9900 supposed to have 8GB ram (which it seems like the phone did not use and we ended up with abour 170mb application memory)

Um, you are getting RAM and flash memory all mixed up...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-24-14 05:28 PM

the 9900 does not have 8GB of ram it has 8GB storage. i believe it has 768MB of ram plz correct me if im wrong but i know no its not 8GB of ram

09-24-14 05:30 PM
    OK, I knew I was mixing up something.

And correct, 768mb, now I remember. Of which about 170mb remained usable.

So the question remains, what amount of the 2MB would remain free and available for the user?
    09-24-14 07:12 PM
    I definitely agree with the better CPU, camera and RAM. IMHO, the Classic should be a high end device. I think the Passport's design might be too polarizing to be a home-run, and it should be supported by an equally high end Classic for the less adventurous among us.

As someone who has had their fair share of BlackBerrys, mainly Bolds, I kind of like the Passports design but I wouldn't buy it. Not for me. What other options do I have? I'm not really into anything other than flagship phones and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    09-25-14 07:38 PM
43 12