"We’ve also shared that we plan to retire T-Mobile’s older GSM 2G network as well, but no date has been set." - TMO

The axe just hasn't fallen yet. But the implication is that it will happen soon. Digi reports the date as December 2022 - and that users will see disrupted services prior to that.
    In my area both 2G and 3G are still active... on just a few towers. I "think" there is still some usage by either boating/marine and/or military. But I wouldn't want to depend on those few towers for service... have to be close to the two bases we have here or right near the bay.

Those towers might go dark by the end of the year, or in those limited locations they might stay active for a bit yet. It's really not till T-Mobile needs that bandwidth for 5G signals that it will be a conflict. And that could be years and years from now.... not like today's 5G phone support these bands.
    07-14-22 07:39 AM
    I think the jokes officially on you lol. The last miserable person around here is me cause I'm still using my red passport as my only phone and it works everywhere I go (even after the 3G shutdown which already happened by me) and will continue to do so until the far away undisclosed date in the future whenever Tmobile decides to shut down its 2G network. Lol have a nice day using whatever non bb10 phone u switched to cause u got scared. Haha
    What good is a smartphone when it can't do all the modern smart features in 2022 era?
    eshropshire and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-14-22 01:54 PM
    What good is a smartphone when it can't do all the modern smart features in 2022 era?
    The key is "modern". He's still fine with the 2005 definition of a smartphone, which is why BB10 never went anywhere in 2013. Sadly BB10 devices today are even less useful than they once were... But nothing wrong with that, for some.

My issue is trying to use it as a phone, one that only has a 3rd of the possible network connections on it. Forget smartphone, just as a phone it wouldn't be a good option at this point.

Cellmapper is a great site to see what's being broadcast locally...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-14-22 03:06 PM
    Guys, if we are not careful BlackBerry will never restart BB10 development. We need to be supportive of people who want to use 7+ year old phones.

As someone one who managed a product group that at one time had a small BB10 development I can't even being to imagine using BB10 in 2019, let alone 2022. But this is just me, for those who find it meets their needs enjoy.

BTW - This is from the T-Mobile starting 2 years ago about 2G - https://community.t-mobile.com/netwo...onna-die-14191

tmo_laurenEmployee413 replies2 years agoANSWER
    Greetings!

The 2g network has been being progressively decommissioned in order to free up other spectrum for newer technology. While there's plenty of information from sites other than ours explaining as much, it doesn't appear we have any direct documentation regarding this which definitely isn't ideal. I'm going to go ahead and find a content ticket regarding it, but ultimately some of the answers above explain what's happening.

It's been a gradual change which explains why some areas that have worked recently no longer, and it will continue to progress in that direction.

I agree there needs to be more readily available direct information and I'll be getting that feedback passed along.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-14-22 04:58 PM
    Guys, if we are not careful BlackBerry will never restart BB10 development. We need to be supportive of people who want to use 7+ year old phones.
    My sarcasm detector sometimes doesn't work... we all know BB10 isn't coming back at this point right?

BlackBerry couldn't afford it even if for some reason they wanted too... they are a tiny enterprise and IoT software company now that doesn't have the people or the money to bring back BB10. Besides there is no point.

As for T-Mobile networks, this is center of Atlanta, GA... but you can search your own town on cellmapper.

2G Coverage
    T-Mobile Sundowning-2g.jpg

3G Coverage
    T-Mobile Sundowning-3g.jpg

4G Coverage
    T-Mobile Sundowning-4g-cov.jpg (big difference between my town and Atlanta is we have more B71 here)

Maybe your town offers enough 2G and 3G coverage today... but you can't depend on being able to travel, nor can you count on what coverage will look like tomorrow. As I don't think there will be anymore warning about networks going away.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-15-22 08:16 AM
    My sarcasm detector sometimes doesn't work... we all know BB10 isn't coming back at this point right?
    Wow, Dunt I thought I had turned it on high enough. I was hoping to add a little fun to the conversation.

As far as 2G goes on T-Mobile, my understand is that it works in some places, in others they have turned it off. T-Mobile makes no promises on consumer support.
    07-21-22 03:35 PM
    hey there, sorry to reply here but I tired to PM you and i'm not sure if it is going through. In any case, you seem to have modern use of a BB Classic in the US figured out and I'd love to know just what steps to follow in terms of selecting a network, downloading the right voip app(s) etc. Thanks!
    12-31-22 11:02 AM
    I use a Classic on T-Mobile's network. Got a letter from them saying they're sundowning 3G and that the device I have registered with them (the letter was accurate as to my device and phone number) will no longer work as of July.

However, the letter states that they'll still support 4G LTE, which is within the Classic's connection options and what it already defaults to in most T-Mobile coverage areas. Contacted their customer service and the only person I could get ahold of said it might be a CDMA/GSM thing, with the former no longer being supported, but my device has an IMEI number, which apparently means it's GSM.

So given all that, I think I might have received the letter in error, since my phone is in the category T-Mobile will still support and 3G sundowning shouldn't be relevant to it. But I'd also like some warning if I'm going to be completely cut off on July 2nd.

(Also, ugh. I love my Classic. Bought a couple extras on eBay last year when I dropped mine and the screen cracked, but I haven't even bothered switching the SIM card to one of the new ones yet since the current one is perfectly usable. Will be annoying if that turns out to have been a wasted purchase - although if I have to start carrying a cheap Android for calls and texts and continue to use a Classic (and its unparalleled keyboard/optical trackpad) for web browsing via wifi, I suppose that would be better than nothing).
    greetings, i am wondering if 2G will help you? i believe that t-mobile still has 2g service? not positive about this, but work looking into. i would keep in mind that service providers are trained to discourage people from using older phones. in our case our service providor told us for over ten years, that is right, ten years that our phone would no longer work. we ignored them. and kept using the phone the entire time. the customer service staff is not even trying to lie most of the time. they are just not trained to help anyone who wants to keep an old phone in service. they themselves actually believe it is impossible. and many of them were ten years old when the devices were made and have never seen one. verizon seems to have blocked their 2g from reaching phones in 2023. but i think i see t-mobile popping up. not sure how long that will last. good luck!
    01-05-23 09:13 AM
33 12