I'm considering switching to T-Mobile from AT&T given their recent surge in LTE service area around me. The price for 3 lines is less than the cost of 2 on AT&T, so it's hard to ignore. Add the fact that they'll pay ETFs and I'm mostly sold on the idea.

Issue is the phone. If I get my AT&T Classic unlocked, should I experience issues with T-Mobile service if I don't trade the device in for the T-Mobile Classic?

I assume I lose my wireless charging if I trade in? I can't find any info about the T-Mobile classic and wireless charging specifically.
    10-01-15 11:13 AM
    If I get my AT&T Classic unlocked, should I experience issues with T-Mobile service if I don't trade the device in for the T-Mobile Classic?
    Nope. You'll be fine.

I assume I lose my wireless charging if I trade in? I can't find any info about the T-Mobile classic and wireless charging specifically.
    Yep, no wireless charging on T-Mobile version. SQC100-4 is what they use.

AT&T Classic on T-Mobile-screenshot-2015-10-01-14.21.24.png
    10-01-15 12:22 PM
    The TMO Classic (SQC100-4) does not have wireless charging, so yes--you would lose the feature if you give up your AT&T Classic (SQC100-2.)

Coverage: the only TMO-relevant band that the -4 has but the -2 is missing is UMTS 1700.

But...here's a weird issue that happened with a CBer who did the exact thing you're thinking of: he was having difficulties making calls when his phone was on LTE. Apparently it wouldn't properly drop down to a lower network ('4G'/3G/2G) for the call, but if he were to manually switch the phone to a different network mode, the calls would go through. Hopefully this was just a singly defective unit.

So here is what I would recommend: you either borrow someone's TMO SIM card and use it for testing, or get a pay-as-you-go SIM with $8 in service ($3 for 30 minutes of talk time, $5 for 500MB data.) SIM cards are $15 when bought from TMO (or $1, if you wait for them to go on sale) or $5 at Best Buy. This way, you aren't committing yourself to something long term.

Oh..and if your Classic is paid off, AT&T will unlock it for free. Just visit att.com/deviceunlock to submit the unlock request.
    10-01-15 12:41 PM
    Thanks for the replies. So, the only thing lacking that could potentially be problematic is the 1700 band? But this isn't an LTE band, and LTE service is what seems to have expanded in my area, based on their map.
    10-01-15 12:44 PM
    Thanks for the replies. So, the only thing lacking that could potentially be problematic is the 1700 band? But this isn't an LTE band, and LTE service is what seems to have expanded in my area, based on their map.
    It's both an LTE band and a 3G/'4G' band. Your AT&T Classic doesn't have the latter, but if you're blanketed in LTE coverage, you mightshould be okay.

If your area recently got LTE coverage, it's very much possible that it's band 12 LTE, which TMO has been using to fill coverage gaps. So I would highly recommend you check, because no BlackBerry works on band 12 yet.
    10-01-15 01:07 PM