I've had a Q10 for three years and I love it. The phone is slightly damaged, and it makes more sense for me to a get a new phone than to try and replace my Q10. I will be replacing my Q10 with a Classic. I'm pretty sure it's the same operating system. Is there any advice people have? What did you wish you knew when you first bought your Classic? What are the biggest differences between the Classic and the Q10 I should be aware of from day 1? Thanks to anyone who can help.
    04-16-16 10:01 PM
    Why? The big difference between the Q10 and the Classic is 1/2 in of screen and the belt. I looked at the Classic and decided to keep the pocket-ability of the Q10. Also theres the factor of the non-removable battery. The other specs are identical, same processor, same amount of ram, same camera, same almost everything. If you just want a replacement, the Q10 is around half the price of the Classic. If you want an upgrade, the Passport is more powerful with a better camera, still runs BB10 and has a very nice screen. If you don't mind android, there's the Priv or you could wait till later this year and see what the mid-range Blackberrys are going to be. According to reports, one will be full touch and the other a qwerty, Im assuming similar to the Vienna concept that leaked a few months ago. Hope this helps you with your decision.
    xKingHopy likes this.
    04-16-16 10:38 PM
    Get the Classic it's a REAL Blackberry.
    RobertP1 likes this.
    04-16-16 10:56 PM
    1. To minimize an app, press the call end button. Simple enough, but you can build on that. From the homescreen with the apps in active frame (minimized), highlighting one and pressing the back key will close it. So combine this with the fact that pressing call end will minimize it, if you want to outright close a program, all you have to do is press call end, then back, since it highlights the app you just minimized automatically. The benefits to this are that not only do you not need to move your thumb as much, but you can do this without looking at your phone. Swiping up and touching the x requires looking.
    2. While in an app, pressing the BB button will open the overflow menu (3 dots on the bottom right). If that menu has more than one page, simply swipe on the trackpad in the direction of the other page and it'll switch.
    3. To access the top menu inside apps, no more need to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen, simply long press the BB button.
    4. As long as the phone app isn't minimized (where you might have navigated away from the main phone log), when you bring up the phone app by pressing the call send button, the last call should be highlighted, so to quickly redial the last number, simply press the call send button twice.
    5. From the hub, holding the shift key and swiping up or down with the trackpad will start highlighting messages, let go of shift and you can start selecting messages that are not together by highlighting then pressing down on the trackpad. You can toggle already selected messages on and off by clicking on them. To cancel the selection, press the back button. Press the BB key to open the options for what you just highlighted.
    6. Long pressing with the trackpad does exactly what long touching on the touchscreen does. Trust me, this is super useful.
    7. To select text, just use the trackpad to where you want to start, then hold shift and swipe over the trackpad. Then to copy the text, just press the BB key to open the menu, "Copy" should be highlighted so you can just press the BB key again (basically press BB key twice). Then to paste the text, go to where you want to paste, and same thing, press BB key twice.
    8. In the camera, if you press and hold the trackpad, the camera will refocus, then when you let go of the trackpad it will take the photo.
    9. In an email, just press the BB button twice to send, unless you have text you have copied that haven't been pasted yet. If that's the case and you still want to send, make use of tip #2 and swipe in the direction of the "more" option on your trackpad, then hit the trackpad or BB key.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno, BlackGuy and swishhh like this.
    04-16-16 11:13 PM
    What damage is there on your Q10? I may be interested in buying it' thanks

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    04-16-16 11:39 PM
    Hi There,

The one thing that stands out for me is the signal quality, the classic Q20 has superior reception due to its Paratek Antenna, all Blackberry 10 use the technology, but as far as I know only the Z30, Passport and Classic have the Dual Paratek Antenna.

I have had all Blackberry 10 handsets and Paratek's are the best for signal reception in poor reception areas

Thanks
    04-17-16 12:58 AM
    I *was* in love w/ the Q10 (design wise) and I wanted one but I got the Classic instead (my first BlackBerry) and I am VERY glad I have the tool belt. The trackpad (though not necessary) is really handy. It would drive me crazy if I constantly had to use the virtual keyboard if my fingers were already on the physical keyboard which was a big reason I didn't buy the Passport (that, and the weird spacebar).

I am happy with the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 03:06 AM
    I've had a Q10 for three years and I love it. The phone is slightly damaged, and it makes more sense for me to a get a new phone than to try and replace my Q10. I will be replacing my Q10 with a Classic. I'm pretty sure it's the same operating system. Is there any advice people have? What did you wish you knew when you first bought your Classic? What are the biggest differences between the Classic and the Q10 I should be aware of from day 1? Thanks to anyone who can help.
    The biggest difference is the toolbelt in this case.
    Actually you are only paying more for this device because of the toolbelt because other features aren't really significant in comparison to the Q10.
    Also you get a slightly bigger screen, keys are bit larger but that's it imo.
    If you compare both screens in terms of brightness and ppi, the classic is able to get a lot brighter but has way less ppi (294 or something).
    I'm a proud Q10 user myself and really wanted to have a classic aswell because of the toolbelt. In the end of the day I'm paying more for the same specs I already have on my Q10 and the addition of the belt doesn't worth it for me, so yeah maybe when prices drop to 150$ I'll think about it again.
    In your case though since your Q10 is broken anyways, there's no reason not to go for a classic (except price). It also has a better battery but non removable though.

posted via CB10 on my Passport SE
    04-17-16 04:26 AM
    I suggest getting the Classic. The trackpad and toolbelt is what made BlackBerry famous and the Classic is quite literally the last chance to own a device with those features. I doubt they'll ever make another one. I'm sure the Q10 is capable too but historically it's rather insignificant.
    04-17-16 08:15 AM
    I went from q5 to classic and have to say the tool belt is a huge difference for the phone. Yes I agree you can do everything on the touch screen but you can do it so much quicker on the tool belt. I love how people who have only tested the classic out say the tool belt is minor or even useless. I have been using it for almost a year and still find new ways to do things a lot quicker using the tool belt.

Screen is not that much bigger on paper but makes a lot bigger difference when actually using the phone. The ppi kinda sucks that they didn't increase it to match but I got over it pretty quick.

Don't get me wrong I really like the q10 and really liked the q5 I had until it broke. I much prefer the size of the q10 but had to get an iconic BlackBerry with all the buttons. Either way, physical keyboard and bb10 are the bomb no matter which one you go with.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 03:21 PM
    Size Matters!!! If you like the smallness of the Q10 and it does all of the things that you want it to, then get another one.
    04-18-16 07:41 AM
    I did the same, i went from a Q10 to a Classic but i'm not from the old school and i don't get the importance of the the tool belt. Also i prefer the Q10 size, that's because i bought a Q5.

For me the Q5 is better then the Q10, but has 2 weakness points, has less storage and the screen it's not Amoled like the Q10.
    04-18-16 08:16 AM
    I have read the earlier post but i still like the classic belt. Right now i have curve so the belt is the norm.
    04-18-16 07:49 PM
    I found the q10 to have dead spots on the screen, for me bottom right hand side especially in android apps, usually where send is. The classic screen is better, q10 has ppi but it's pentile so it's not as sharp. But the q has the size. The swappable battery and nicer and feel. Classic has a better battery, buttons which are awesome, better keyboard and a louder speaker. Q wins only on size,nothing else

Posted via CB10
    04-19-16 07:18 PM
    Biggest difference in my opinion is the size. Overall size of classic is MUCH bigger than Q10. I've been using classic for a year, but constantly waffle back and forth over whether I might want to switch back to the Q10.

Regarding toolbelt, I like it, but argue that it's not necessary on Q10 since you can easily operate it one-handed. Classic is too big for one-handed touchscreen use, hence toolbelt is a huge boon to productivity.

 C L A S S I C
    04-20-16 09:26 AM
    The classic is brilliant and I love it, but one difference I would point out that I don't think others have mentioned is the ever so slightly fragile feel of the classic vs the Q10 (which I also used previously). What I mean by that is that the classic rattles a little more when placed on a table, and just feels generally more fragile, as well a being more at risk of scratches since the sides are sliver as opposed to black.
    Having said that it's by no means a delicate handset. My wife's blue one took a tumble out of her hands onto a concrete harbour floor and survived no problem, it's more that I have a feeling of needing to protect it more than I did the Q10.
    Might well make no sense, apologies if so!

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 10:42 AM
    I did the same, i went from a Q10 to a Classic but i'm not from the old school and i don't get the importance of the the tool belt. Also i prefer the Q10 size, that's because i bought a Q5.

For me the Q5 is better then the Q10, but has 2 weakness points, has less storage and the screen it's not Amoled like the Q10.
    The toolbelt has absolutely nothing to do with being old school. With it you can do pretty much everything you need without needing to touch the screen. This means a whole lot less moving your thumbs back and forth between the keyboard and the screen and better one-handed use. Perhaps you just didn't know all of the shortcuts that the toolbelt allows? I recommend you read another thread about toolbelt shortcuts...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Trist and RobertP1 like this.
    04-20-16 12:19 PM
    The toolbelt has absolutely nothing to do with being old school. With it you can do pretty much everything you need without needing to touch the screen. This means a whole lot less moving your thumbs back and forth between the keyboard and the screen and better one-handed use. Perhaps you just didn't know all of the shortcuts that the toolbelt allows? I recommend you read another thread about toolbelt shortcuts...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    The toolbelt is so nice. Love my trackpad and all the buttons being in the lower half makes it easy to use.

I can't even imagine using a Q10/Classic without the end button to minimize apps, back button for going back and closing apps, BlackBerry button for easy copy/paste and accessing menu, and trackpad for multi-selecting emails, and scrolling through texts for edits.

Slagman5 posted tips and all the convenience that comes with the toolbelt. And if you read the tips you'll see how convenient and productive it is to have a toolbelt. In fact, this alone gives an edge over the PP and any other BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    dollface likes this.
    04-20-16 01:34 PM
    The classic is brilliant and I love it, but one difference I would point out that I don't think others have mentioned is the ever so slightly fragile feel of the classic vs the Q10 (which I also used previously)...
    Having said that it's by no means a delicate handset. My wife's blue one took a tumble out of her hands onto a concrete harbour floor and survived no problem, it's more that I have a feeling of needing to protect it more than I did the Q10.
    Might well make no sense, apologies if so!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info. It makes perfect sense. As for needing protection, it is going in an OtterBox. When it comes to cases, I don't care about sleek and pretty. I want something that can take a hit, which is why I love Otterbox.
    04-25-16 05:56 PM
    I was thinking abou buying Q10 (used one) they are for 50$ in my country which is affordable for me with my savings. I have a question - did you used GMail on it? Did it worked? How about internet. Does it really take so long to get to any page?
    07-26-16 03:42 AM
    I was thinking abou buying Q10 (used one) they are for 50$ in my country which is affordable for me with my savings. I have a question - did you used GMail on it? Did it worked? How about internet. Does it really take so long to get to any page?
    If you're going to but a used BlackBerry, be certain that they've disconnected BlackBerry Protect.
    Have them go to system settings -> BlackBerry Protect -> and make them toggle it off. They will have to put in their password to do so.
    After these security settings are off, they can no longer remotely lock the phone on you.

Before they leave, you should also attempt to sign in with your BlackBerry ID. Go to system settings -> BlackBerry ID -> and edit their settings over to yours. If the seller is present, then they will be able to put in their password if they need it to confirm their logout. (I haven't been faced with this particular issue, myself. But i'm just mentioning it as a caution).

Gmail should function fine with BlackBerry Hub.
    The default browser isn't bad. I use it. But if it's not your thing, there are some third party browsers that people like. Such as Zeus browser, browsie browser, evolution browser (just to name a couple).

I'd push you to go for the Classic, instead of the Q10. But 50 bucks is pretty tough to beat

Posted via CB10
    dollface and RobertP1 like this.
    07-26-16 10:00 AM
    Coming from a Q10 to the Classic, I could never use a Q10 again. What a wonderful difference
    undefinederror and RobertP1 like this.
    07-26-16 11:38 AM
    Gmail & internet are fine. Opera Mini works great. I use a couple of android apps and they work fine as well. $50 is a great price. I love my Q10 and bounce back and forth between it and my Classic.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-27-16 05:43 AM