I don't use BBM for messaging but I don't subscribe to quite a few BBM Channels.

Q10 waiting for The Classic to come to VZW
    huh??
    zlatno likes this.
    01-17-15 05:06 AM
    ^^^^ Even I find it very strange.

The main issue is the way iOS, Android and WP handle background apps. BUT why can't BlackBerry code it right when WhatsApp works smoothly on those platforms.

Having coaxed most of my family and close friends to use BBM I end up doing all the setup and support thingy.

CB10 @ Q5
    .......and you do all the setup because it's so easy?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 06:14 AM
    The D and R are priceless!
    I also find Glympse priceless.
    zeteo likes this.
    01-17-15 07:03 AM
    How's that userbase?
    Don't care about the userbase. Just that the people I want to talk to have it installed.
    None of my friends or family said no. Why would they... it's free.

Posted via CB10
    Joey Vajda likes this.
    01-17-15 07:39 AM
    Agreed. NONE. Whatsapp does everything already. Wish I could remove BBM from my Q10.
    Wow, so keen about giving up the rest of your privacy to facebook (as they own WA)? Not on my watch, I despise Whatsapp.
    01-17-15 07:42 AM
    First and big reason, Security!! you don't need give your cell phone number, only the pin!!
    If the other people use BBM. If not, then what?
    01-17-15 07:51 AM
    I'm a big fan of BBM. Have a lot of friends and family on it. Love having special groups for us to share stories and pics. I enjoy having video calls with BBM contacts and also the ability to share screens.

The biggest frustration I have with BBM is that it doesn't seem to work well on Android or iPhone. I have some friends who are using those devices and they don't get notifications properly or they say the app won't open or crashes randomly. I don't know if this is a Blackberry development issue, or whether the other competitors are making it difficult for BBM to work smoothly in their ecosystem.
    I have a Z30 but the friends that I BBM with are Android/iPhone and I/they haven't had any problems in months. They used to have some problems like not hearing the phone ring when I BBM called, but now runs smoooooooth.
    AND BBM voice is amazing. I find it better than actually calling direct.
    01-17-15 08:16 AM
    My mom and I are both android users but love BBM. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Glympse feature in BBM.

If I am travelling to her place or taking a long trip somewhere, I can share my location in real time via Glympse and set a time for the access to expire.

Example: If I am going to her place (1.5 hrs away), I can select Glympse in BBM, set the expiration time, then send her the map. She can pull is up in her BBM and see where I am in real time and it shows your track and other data as well. No more need to text and ask "when will you be here" or "where re you".

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    How does that Glympse work?
    01-17-15 08:20 AM
    Never used Glimpse. can anyone tell how?

2BD524D6/Z3-STJ100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-17-15 08:33 AM
    I like BBM. The ability to see delivered and read status is the biggest win for me but there are lots of other uses I find helpful. I'm like using glympse to let people know where I'm at when I'm on my way somewhere. Screen share is very useful if you have someone else using a BlackBerry (I have four other people in my immediate circle that use BlackBerries).

I also use it to communicate with someone I know that is on a Verizon unlimited plan but has very few minutes available to chat. She can't change her plan or she'll lose the unlimited data so BBM is quite useful because we can chat via data.

There's no real _need_ to use BBM though. It proves helpful sometimes though.

Posted via my gorgeous Passport
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-17-15 09:06 AM
    I like BBM on a BlackBerry device. On any other platform it can't compete with whatsapp. Even when setup correctly the message delivery is not as consistent as whatsapp.
    01-17-15 09:14 AM
    I switched from an iPhone 6 to the Classic and don't message anyone I know that has a Blackberry. Considering I have sms and mms is there any reason for me to use BBM? What functionality would it provide that I don't have through other means?
    YES.

BBM is setup with a PIN (which is specific to device) not a Phone Number. Big Difference.
    (The only reason why I don't use the other messaging platforms).

As others mentioned, "D" and "R" way easier and cleaner to look at.

(BBM is for all devices, not just Blackberry)
    01-17-15 09:25 AM
    Never used Glimpse. can anyone tell how?

2BD524D6/Z3-STJ100-1/10.3.1.2072
    Glimpse is an awesome feature and not promoted or explained nearly enough.

Example:
    - You can create a BBM message telling someone you are on your way.
    - Before sending you hit the paper clip on the left of the message text, then click the G in the top row of icons.
    - You can then pick a length of time t(up to 4 hours) that the contact can track your location.
    - The person can see where you are (or at least where your phone is) for that period of time.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 10:59 AM
    I switched from an iPhone 6 to the Classic and don't message anyone I know that has a Blackberry. Considering I have sms and mms is there any reason for me to use BBM? What functionality would it provide that I don't have through other means?
    Dunno. To me, it's all about who you know on it. I still have lots of friends, family colleagues and former colleagues on it, so it's worthwhile to me. You might like the channels perhaps.
    01-17-15 12:45 PM
    .......and you do all the setup because it's so easy?

Posted via CB10
    Yep its easy, ask them to download from the respective app stores ;-)

I should have been more clear or edited it for meticulous readers like you :-)

My main point was BBM's inconsistent cross platform behaviour due sloppy coding.

CB10 @ Q5
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-17-15 01:22 PM
    My main point was BBM's inconsistent cross platform behaviour due sloppy coding.

CB10 @ Q5
    But is it really sloppy coding? Or are the other competitors making it hard for BBM to run properly? I have no idea since I don't code.

And while you can support your friends/family, I have no clue how iPhone or Android works and can't even help them troubleshoot it. So, unfortunately, a lot of my family and friends are frustrated with the BBM app and move to other messaging apps.
    01-17-15 02:04 PM
    But is it really sloppy coding? Or are the other competitors making it hard for BBM to run properly? I have no idea since I don't code.

And while you can support your friends/family, I have no clue how iPhone or Android works and can't even help them troubleshoot it. So, unfortunately, a lot of my family and friends are frustrated with the BBM app and move to other messaging apps.
    Whether or not it is due to sloppy coding or competitor's making it difficult, BlackBerry should at least address the issue head on. If due to competitor practices they should at least say so.

Personally I believe it is sloppy coding because other WA has figured it out.

Either way, BBRY are looking like fools for not addressing the issue head on.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 02:09 PM

WhatsApp works alright even with the iOS, Android, WP way of caching the background apps/ keeping apps active in background.

The "competitors" have provided the same APIs and development resources to everyone. It's up to BlackBerry to make BBM work.

CB10 @ Q5
    01-17-15 02:23 PM
    Whether or not it is due to sloppy coding or competitor's making it difficult, BlackBerry should at least address the issue head on. If due to competitor practices they should at least say so.

Personally I believe it is sloppy coding because other WA has figured it out.

Either way, BBRY are looking like fools for not addressing the issue head on.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree with you. I would love to see them step up and tell everyone what is happening. I do agree that other messengers like WA have figure it out, but wondered if the difference was because that vendor doesn't also have a competing OS on the market. With BBM, I can't see Apple and Google helping BBM iron out the issues since it is the competitor. Whereas with WA, there is no competition they need to worry about.

I don't know. I just can't understand why the issues can't be resolved. There has gone to be something going on that we aren't privy to.
    01-17-15 02:31 PM
    sending files, high quality pictures and videos, voice notes, glympse... many more
    01-17-15 03:38 PM
    I really love BlackBerry. Bought Z10, Q10, Z30 and Passport as well as Q5 for my sister because I think this is the best OS currently available.

However, there is no reason to use BBM. At least in Europe nobody is using it and I can not identify any additional value. Whatsapp in Europe is the de facto standard. And BlackBerry can cope it quite satisfactory. Insofar I would recommend their devices.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I'm in Europe and use BBM as my primary text app. As a matter of fact, I don't even have Whatsapp installed. My family and close friends use BBM because they know I can be extremely stubborn when it comes to BlackBerry. Just the other days I got one of my friends to dld BBM for IOS, and he's just loving it.

For others, there's always SMS.

Posted via CB10 from my exquisite Z10 on TMO Romania
    01-17-15 03:39 PM
    Privacy, features, bla bla... if none of the people you're communicating with can be bothered to download and use it then what's the point? Are we supposed to become sales people for Blackberry and BBM and promote it? Paying for the phone and not being given the option to remove the app isn't enough?

Anyway, OP, there are definitely different approaches, social circles and levels of tech engagement.... you'll have to see for yourself if you can get any use out of BBM in your particular scenario. Good luck.
    Mr4aces and Sequester#WN like this.
    01-17-15 04:07 PM
    Another benefit of BBM is that it uses PINs to connect to contacts and maintains your privacy. You never have to give out your phone number to anyone. Want to delete a contact, simply, remove them with the option to block any future communication.

I have 100 BBM contacts and growing...it's the only way I will communicate with people. Best messaging platform hands-down.
    I don't get the privacy concern with messaging. If it's someone I even want to message, I'm not going to be concerned with them having my phone number.
    01-17-15 04:26 PM
    well, first of all - sms/mms cost money per sms/mms (or use your sms/mms quota), when bbm does not cost a penny (as it utilises mobile internet/wifi). international sms/mms cost a fortune, bbm is free of charge.
    also BBM allows you HIGH quality international calls to other BBM user free of charge. video calls between other bb10 devices (like facetime or whatever name apple gave)
    bbm allows you to send files/pics/ etc free of charge.
    + delivery/read receipts.
    + stickers

basically - yes, as I almost do not use sms, but use bbm
    For me that's backwards. I have unlimited sms/mms but a 10GB capped data plan, so bbm on data is worse.
    01-17-15 04:27 PM
    SMS/MMS reliable that's laughable. The reliability on sms/mms have gotten worse over the years especially after the birth of smartphones.
    I can't remember the last time someone told me they sent me a text I didn't get. Sms is basically 100% reliable for me on verizon.
    01-17-15 04:28 PM
172 12345 ...