As much as I love BBM, there is no reason to use it for messaging if you have no one to message. Who you gonna send a BBM to? Yourself? The only real reason to use any messaging platform is to message people. If you have no friends that use BBM, well then it's a no brainer really.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-17-15 04:44 PM
    The no brainer is this: What messaging app can allow you to send a file upto 16mb? I can send PDF's, voice notes, notebooks, ppt presentations, spreadsheets and more. Not to mention I am completely using native apps for that. BBM stands out any Instant messaging app for this very profecient feature.

BlackBerry is the Extension of my Hand
    Email? Link sharing through OneDrive, box, dropbox? Then it doesn't use any data at all.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-17-15 04:46 PM
    ^^^^ Even I find it very strange.

The main issue is the way iOS, Android and WP handle background apps. BUT why can't BlackBerry code it right when WhatsApp works smoothly on those platforms.

Having coaxed most of my family and close friends to use BBM I end up doing all the tech support thingy.

CB10 @ Q5
    Our three apple devices have no problems getting notifications instantly without the apps running in the background.
    01-17-15 04:52 PM
    Email? Link sharing through OneDrive, box, dropbox? Then it doesn't use any data at all.
    Well, if it we're to par on any instant messaging apps. Cloud service links are good for bigger files. Email can only send upto 6mb or 8mb? I forgot. BBM has the "d" and "r" upon receiving the file. Again, it's just for me. Most messaging apps are limited on photo sharing or voice notes. And honestly, I used to be a viber fan. Viber get's delayed notifications sometimes which never happens on BBM. The moment it went through "d" you know that the other phone's got it already.

01-17-15 05:07 PM
    I have tried all mobile OS with whatsapp and BBM on it.

Regarding BBM app:
    Android stands out. BBM app works flawlessly. No delayed notification. Works like a BlackBerry device.

Apple IOS BBM app is a little bit crappy. When you received the notification and go through the app, sometimes the message(s) is/are not there. Especially when messages rapidly arrived.

BBM for Windows Phone 8/8.1 - my reason why I left windows phone, even in whatsapp. I used viber, skype, wechat, kakaotalk on my WP8 device and even the native facebook chat integrated in the OS gets delayed notifications.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ons-delay.html

A lot of thread in windowscentral is posted about it.

So in short, BBM is mostly enjoyed by android users in other platforms. But since a lot of people are using IOS, they just endure it's crappy software... for now.

01-17-15 05:14 PM
    I have been using BBM on my Blackberry devices for a long time. All the members of my family have iPhones (and so do my friends) but we all use BBM. I am not going to list all the reasons, others mentioned and would only like to emphasize two, the most important to me: low cost of communication when roaming (travel in Europe, for instance) and security. If I use a business device ( Blackberry and now iPhone6) I never use e-mail or any other messenger for private communication. Only BBM for me.
    Last edited by mfurman; 01-17-15 at 06:04 PM.
    01-17-15 05:31 PM
    No. Stay with sms or WhatsApp. BBM is unreliable.
    That's not true. Let's be realistic here.

2BDB5FDF Yes I'm using the passport!!! And I have a Note 4 as well. That must tell you something about how great this device is! And by the way...my Classic is in hand!
    01-17-15 06:11 PM
    Our three apple devices have no problems getting notifications instantly without the apps running in the background.
    My iOS contacts don't always receive the BBM's when the app is in background. So there's this delay until they actually open the BBM app.

Any pointers? I didn't find anything in the phone or app settings that would cause this.

CB10 @ Q5
    01-18-15 05:22 AM
    Regarding BBM app:
    Android stands out. BBM app works flawlessly. No delayed notification. Works like a BlackBerry device.

Apple IOS BBM app is a little bit crappy. When you received the notification and go through the app, sometimes the message(s) is/are not there. Especially when messages rapidly arrived.

BBM for Windows Phone 8/8.1 - my reason why I left windows phone, even in whatsapp. I used viber, skype, wechat, kakaotalk on my WP8 device and even the native facebook chat integrated in the OS gets delayed notifications.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ons-delay.html

A lot of thread in windowscentral is posted about it...
    So it's a broader issue with WP & IMs!

With my WP contacts I don't get the D and R unless they have the app opened at the same time as me.

Even in Android the notifications and delayed delivery/ receiving issue does come up, but at least it never crashes a la WP.

CB10 @ Q5
    01-18-15 05:28 AM
    D and R
    Wifi Voice and Video Call (Hardly use it but its there)
    Timed messages
    Message Retraction (for that oopsmessage)
    BBM Channels
    Its more private ( only those you add can chat with you)
    My favourite, you can send any file! I send a lot of PDF's.....
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-18-15 06:39 AM
    Agreed. NONE. Whatsapp does everything already. Wish I could remove BBM from my Q10.
    No, it doesn't. It does some other positive things that BBM does not yet do, like in line video share (I think, as it has been a while since I used it).
    But D/R are not yet completely there, Groups with their high hiearchy are not there, wifi voice and video are not there, sending files other than pic/vid are not there.
    Negative things of Whatsapp that BBM avoids are uploading your contact list and making everybody your contact without opt-in. It matters to me, but not to most.

Basically, sure, you can give BBM a spin and it won't hurt you because:
    1: it does not steal your contact list
    2: it does not immediately put you in reach of all kinds of people you don't really know; you scrutinize your contact list and are in complete control
    3: you own a BB10 device. Putting in a new messaging app does not mean that you have to watch another app. It is all in the HUB and that makes a world of difference. Some people I know on iPhones just cannot handle any more message flows, be it Telegram or Kik or BBM, as their OS is just not that effective at managing messages. Not so for you, yours is the power of BB10, you have the HUB.

So, you'll find plenty of people here to add to your contact list to play around with on BBM. Hit anyone of us up on a PM and ask for our PINs. Play with it, and it will grow! (Pun most assuredly intended).
    01-18-15 08:01 AM
    Agreed. NONE. Whatsapp does everything already. Wish I could remove BBM from my Q10.
    This.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-18-15 08:41 AM
    Different strokes for different folks. When i had my Z no one ever used BBM. It was either text, FB, or Viber. I loved BBM and would've continued using it, but no one was ever on there. The people who downloaded it (iphone and android) said it sucked and that messages were missed.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-18-15 09:27 AM
    You're basically asking the guy to convert his relatives, that's jehovah's witness-y.
    oldtimeBBaddict and Mr4aces like this.
    01-18-15 10:05 AM
    You're basically asking the guy to convert his relatives, that's jehovah's witness-y.
    LOL~!

Main problem isn't whether there is a reason to use BBM, it's that so many people are glued to their iDevices, & glued to iMessage. I've had friends say, "What do I need BBM for? I have iMessage, Instagram & WhatsApp..?"
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-18-15 10:30 AM
    I'm kind of confused. I thought there were reports during the Prem Watsa takeover days when people were saying BBM would be the moneymaker for RIM. I guess that wasn't true after all.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-18-15 11:49 AM
    Even though I still use WhatsApp, as there's basically no way around it, I enjoy BBM a lot and I can say that most of my private communication is now on BBM. My best friends, as well as my girlfriend are all using BBM, because of me or because they're using a BlackBerry too.
    Cross-platform has been a great advantage for me. My contact list on BBM grew rapidly and BBM has become actually useful on my BlackBerry.

I also like BBM groups and the fact that you can very conveniently chat with people you don't know any further since you don't have to exchange phone numbers. This comes in handy if you're actively posting in forums or other communities where you don't want to publicly post your phone number.

Besides that, BBM has just grown on me. The emojis are cool, the stickers can be fun once in a while too. And the app has become a lot more reliable recently. Definitely worth a try... and I'm still actively evangelizing here.

By the way, I know some who started out with BBM and are now giving BlackBerry a shot, so this is a good way to keep BlackBerry in people's minds.

Posted via CB10
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-18-15 04:42 PM
    Blackberry is really a great brand. You have to detox from all the bloatware that other devices give you. Once you strip down from all that social media that consumes you, you can enjoy a very useful OS and ecosystem that is focused on productivity. I'm really enjoying BlackBerry more and more with these new BlackBerry 10 devices. You have to put your hands on one and use it to really appreciate it. Try it, you'll like it.

2BDB5FDF "POWER OF CHOICE" BBM CHANNEL C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    01-18-15 07:17 PM
    Blackberry is really a great brand. You have to detox from all the bloatware that other devices give you. Once you strip down from all that social media that consumes you, you can enjoy a very useful OS and ecosystem that is focused on productivity. I'm really enjoying BlackBerry more and more with these new BlackBerry 10 devices. You have to put your hands on one and use it to really appreciate it. Try it, you'll like it.

I completely agree with this statement. I find myself looking for things to download on my 6Plus because i can.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-19-15 11:24 AM
    I completely agree with this statement. I find myself looking for things to download on my 6Plus because i can.
    Yes sir, I used to do the same thing with my Note 4. The only saving grace for me is that I'm not a social media person. I don't have facebook, or instagram, or any of the other popular one. I may look at my twitter twice a week and I may check in on my Google+ once in a while. But I really don't miss them at all now that I have a BlackBerry. Twitter is available as a native app for the passport, but I still don't use it.

I have a challenge for everyone... try uninstalling all the social media from your phone and using your device strictly for phone calls, email, text messages, and the occasional photo, and you'll see how much more productive you will become in your day overall. My BlackBerry has helped me become more streamlined. Now I understand that this challenge may not be for everyone. I'm not trying to convert anyone. Some folk like and enjoy being "caught up" and consumed with their devices. I'm not one of those people.

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-19-15 07:11 PM
    To add other awesome classic owners as friends. 2BF3DF73

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 07:16 PM
    Yes sir, I used to do the same thing with my Note 4. The only saving grace for me is that I'm not a social media person. I don't have facebook, or instagram, or any of the other popular one. I may look at my twitter twice a week and I may check in on my Google+ once in a while. But I really don't miss them at all now that I have a BlackBerry. Twitter is available as a native app for the passport, but I still don't use it.

I have a challenge for everyone... try uninstalling all the social media from your phone and using your device strictly for phone calls, email, text messages, and the occasional photo, and you'll see how much more productive you will become in your day overall. My BlackBerry has helped me become more streamlined. Now I understand that this challenge may not be for everyone. I'm not trying to convert anyone. Some folk like and enjoy being "caught up" and consumed with their devices. I'm not one of those people.

Not giving up Twitter. It keeps me connected to current events. The only one I use and it doesn't slow me down a bit.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-19-15 07:44 PM
    Not giving up Twitter. It keeps me connected to current events. The only one I use and it doesn't slow me down a bit.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    Twitter is very good. I like it too. I just don't use it much.

2BF2EA40 "POWER OF CHOICE" BBM CHANNEL C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    01-20-15 12:08 AM
    Twitter is very good. I like it too. I just don't use it much.

2BF2EA40 "POWER OF CHOICE" BBM CHANNEL C00285CE7 Passport Classic Note 4
    I don't quite understand who has time for Twitter and Facebook all of the time. I look at FB once a week or so and Twitter maybe once a month. Otherwise, I'd never get any TV watched or Sleep or work done.

Try it, you will find the world actually goes on just fine without being glued to social media. Try talking to actual real people too, it is much more fulfilling.
    01-20-15 02:50 AM
    I don't quite understand who has time for Twitter and Facebook all of the time. ...
    I agree with you in some respects. I don't have Facebook account and have little desire for one. The only reason I would get one is to see pictures of friends and their newborns, or stuff like that. I have resisted all this time though and don't see me joining anytime soon.

However, I don't agree with respect to Twitter. I am not active on Twitter, meaning I don't "tweet" much. But similar to what TgeekB said above, it is great for keeping up with current events. I follow a number of news agencies and news channels (radio and tv) and it is good at keeping abreast with breaking news. Now, I don't actively check Twitter throughout the day, but I do check it in the commute to and from work. I do check it every now and then during work, but that has been difficult during busy times.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-20-15 08:11 AM
172 ... 23456 ...