So how's that Wi-Fi calling going?
    How's that userbase?
    01-16-15 03:45 PM
    I love bbm, but barely use it at all anymore because I have almost zero contacts that still use it. Went from hundreds to 2 contacts over the last few years, sad really.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 04:05 PM
    My mom and I are both android users but love BBM. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Glympse feature in BBM.

If I am travelling to her place or taking a long trip somewhere, I can share my location in real time via Glympse and set a time for the access to expire.

Example: If I am going to her place (1.5 hrs away), I can select Glympse in BBM, set the expiration time, then send her the map. She can pull is up in her BBM and see where I am in real time and it shows your track and other data as well. No more need to text and ask "when will you be here" or "where re you".

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    andy957, niss63, twirlyboy and 3 others like this.
    01-16-15 04:26 PM
    My mom and I are both android users but love BBM. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Glympse feature in BBM.

Good call. I forgot about that feature. It really is fun and can be great to share with family. I've shared my location with family in Jamaica and they get a good laugh out of it. They are like "hey .... you are close to the distillery district" How long until you get here?
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-16-15 04:44 PM
    I have been using BBM for some time now. The people I message the most have BBM. It is by far my most used messaging platform. But, in all honesty I wouldn't recommend it. All I really want is a simple messaging service, the new updates and features have more or less been taking that away from me. Yes, some of the new features are rather neat, but I haven't used any of them beyond novelty purposes. I'd really like to see it simplified down and brought back to its roots, plain and simple instant messaging.
    01-16-15 05:45 PM
    SMS/MMS reliable that's laughable. The reliability on sms/mms have gotten worse over the years especially after the birth of smartphones.
    I very, very, VERY rarely have someone say "oh sorry I didn't get that text or pic" and I text a TON....maybe that's just luck but all my friends say the same thing, they don't care to use BBM just to get the D and R notifications and now that most people have unlimited messaging there's no money to save by using BBM or any other instant messaging service instead of just texting.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 06:18 PM
    The no brainer is this: What messaging app can allow you to send a file upto 16mb? I can send PDF's, voice notes, notebooks, ppt presentations, spreadsheets and more. Not to mention I am completely using native apps for that. BBM stands out any Instant messaging app for this very profecient feature.

BlackBerry is the Extension of my Hand
    01-16-15 06:26 PM
    Oh my goodness, BBM is the best feature for me. I cam from iPhone user. When you BBM, it show delivered /read I don't have to wonder if the person I BBM receive it or not. If I BBM the wrong person/message, I can retrace it back. I love BBM Video Screen Sharing. This is the killing feature for me. I can do live presentation to anyone anywhere with BlackBerry BB10. I can share my phone screen live anywhere.
    twirlyboy likes this.
    01-16-15 06:27 PM
    Our family uses a BBM group for our shared calendar, group communications, shopping lists, etc. . Kids have apple products and my wife has a q10. We also use BBM video with the wife and the kids grandparents.

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    01-16-15 06:35 PM
    Maybe, audience varies per country. In my country very few people uses BlackBerry. But a lot of people uses BBM. Before a lot of people use it specially couples, since it is secured (can even set password before in BB7 days). New features such as Glympes is really superb. Personally, I love BBM and I deleted my WeChat, KakaoTalk, whatsapp, viber, snapchat, and all other messaging app (except ofcourse BlackBerry Hub integrates facebook chat). I use BBM 98% of my messaging and SMS 2%. I love discussing with my BBM groups, and I have my own BBM Channel to manage. Discussing among BBM channels is sweet as well. It's like twitter. BBM just takes time to get used to. When I started in BBM I only have 2 contacts. My girlfriend and my bestfriend. And as of now, I have a lot due to BBM channels and BBM groups. I love the Crackberry forum that allows us to interact with mostly BlackBerry users.

Sorry for all my gramatical errors or poor sentence constructions.
    But this is my platform, this is my IM. BBM all the way. When people ask my wechat id, or my number, sometimes I often tell them: "Do you have BBM? If none just download it. That's the easiest way you can connect with me."
    Lastly, I have my BBM pin in my business card as well.

BlackBerry is the Extension of my Hand
    01-16-15 06:44 PM
    well, first of all - sms/mms cost money per sms/mms (or use your sms/mms quota), when bbm does not cost a penny (as it utilises mobile internet/wifi). international sms/mms cost a fortune, bbm is free of charge.
    also BBM allows you HIGH quality international calls to other BBM user free of charge. video calls between other bb10 devices (like facetime or whatever name apple gave)
    bbm allows you to send files/pics/ etc free of charge.
    + delivery/read receipts.
    + stickers

basically - yes, as I almost do not use sms, but use bbm
    The problem with that HD call quality is that it requires a very clean and fast wifi and/or cell signal.

I've tried BBM voice calls from all over Europe and Asia, and sadly it often does not work when Skype and Facetime work just fine on the same signal.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 07:40 PM
    I have tested a lot of messengers and I try to be objective.

Whatsapp is by far the most used messenger. you can be sure that who ever your contact is, he is using whatsapp (ok, maybe the most not-users are here in this forum).
    BUT: In my opinion the BlackBerry Messenger has a good overall collection of features.

• first of all the one-to-one messenging. It's easy, it works, it is cross platform.and you have the possibility to add people to a multi-person-chat.
    • File transfer is possible.
    • second: the groups feature has 'real' group features. Have several different chats in one group, a shared calendar for each group, shared tasks (-lists).
    • Send Voice notes or use Voice calls over WiFi / Mobile Network
    • Videochat ( not crossplatform yet)
    • BBM Meeting (Videochat-Conference (Paid; Crossplatform; ScreenShare))
    • Add Contacts by PIN, not phonenumber (phonenumber is easier, but PIN is more secure)
    • If you like it you can use sticker packs. If you dont like it, dont use it, but if you like it, you can!
    • emoticons
    • Service is pretty reliable. Have just seen one 'big' outtake some time ago and that was once for three days.
    • Share Status / Apps can connect to your status to show your contacts what music you are listening to, where you are ...
    • Share location & built-in Glympse
    • timed messages (recipient can see the message / picture just for a certain time)
    • withdraw messages
    • group contacts
    • send broadcasts
    • notifications for (D)elivered and (R)ead messages
    • block contacts
    • BBM Channels
    • encrypted chats / BBM Protect (Paid) for BES users
    • It is free (all general features)

the negatives:
    • groups are limited to 50 (?) Persons (I�m not quite sure about this number)
    • filesize limit ~16MB(?)
    • personalization is limited (4 different, mono-colored backgrounds - not important to me)

thats all I have in mind now.

Is it 'better' than other messengers? I don't know. But I like it a lot, it meets my needs and I will try to get more people to have a look at it!
    01-16-15 08:36 PM
    Agreed. NONE. Whatsapp does everything already. Wish I could remove BBM from my Q10.
    Yes, Whatsapp can do more. I hear in the latest update they started collecting everyone's messages and data and automatically forwards it all to Mark Zuckerberg and friends to sell to the highest bidder.
    BBM can't do that.

For talking serious, it's true that not a lot of people use BBM but you can usually convince your closest friends and family to use it and it's nice to have a tighter contact list for at least one of your messaging apps. BBM is for the best kind of people, at least when I look at my contacts.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    7onZ, JesseBabe23 and Joey Vajda like this.
    01-16-15 08:44 PM
    Agreed. NONE. Whatsapp does everything already. Wish I could remove BBM from my Q10.
    Whatsapp needs to be connected to your phone number in order to work. BBM doesn't need that.

2BF2EA40 My Passport will take a back burner to my Classic! And my Galaxy Note 4 is now a paperweight!
    01-16-15 11:05 PM
    Timed messages and message retraction are great additions in the latest version. Also the ability to do free wifi calling cross-platform anywhere in world. Also love Channels....subscribe to people, brands, communities that are of interest to you...e.g. sports teams, leagues, interests.
    Well, still not here in U.A.E
    01-17-15 12:51 AM
    It really doesn't.
    You can't voice or video call over Whatsapp, nor send timed messages, nor retract messages, no group calendar nor lists. Whatsapp limits what you can actually send, no files or music for example. Whatsapp doesn't have Glympse, etc etc

OP the voice calling is really great and call quality is excellent, while we were overseas now, I finally got my brother to start using BBM, he had no local sim but since there was wifi everywhere, he was always connected and could call with ease. He's still been using it to communicate with me since we got back, by his own choice.
    I got his gf to download it on her S4 when it first became available and we only ever use it to communicate.
    And no its not like Skype, I find Skype to be unreliable, most often with choppy connections that often drop or have heavy delays.

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    01-17-15 01:16 AM
    No+

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 01:16 AM
    Well, still not here in U.A.E
    That's because your country is unfortunately blocking that for you.
    The features are still there tho and if you really wanted to use them, there are work arounds

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    7onZ likes this.
    01-17-15 01:37 AM
    Some apps link to BBM, but if you don't have any, or very little friends on BBM, then it's pretty pointless for you.

It's a lot like any other IM in terms of usability, with a few differences. Best thing to do, is try it out, ya'know, it's already there, you can't remove it, so why not give it a go. You might take a liking to it

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 01:43 AM
    I don't use BBM for messaging but I don't subscribe to quite a few BBM Channels.

Q10 waiting for The Classic to come to VZW
    01-17-15 01:51 AM
    Give it a try to see for yourself. Free to use.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    01-17-15 02:15 AM
    Bottom Line: Sign up for it and always have because it could only help and never hurt. And its amazing when you use it.
    01-17-15 02:58 AM
    SMS/MMS is NOT as reliable. You still have no way of knowing if a message has been delivered.

I go camping in the summer and purposely go out of cell signal range so that I am far away from people and can't be contacted. If people email me, they get my Auto-Responder. If people BBM me, they see that it has NOT been delivered or see my Status. People that SMS me never know why I didn't respond.

Depending upon where you live and travel, there might often be dead spots where there is no cell service. BBM is much better I think. Glympse is awesome.

Also, MMS is a lame way to send pictures, it uses a crappy unreliable system that doesn't always work.

As others have mentioned, Whatsapp is a privacy concern and the spelling bugs me! (smile)
    BBM Groups is a great way to have your own little mobile private Facebook type of group.
    Last edited by jhanks64; 01-17-15 at 05:08 AM.
    01-17-15 03:07 AM
    No. Stay with sms or WhatsApp. BBM is unreliable.
    01-17-15 03:09 AM
    The biggest frustration I have with BBM is that it doesn't seem to work well on Android or iPhone. I have some friends who are using those devices and they don't get notifications properly or they say the app won't open or crashes randomly. I don't know if this is a Blackberry development issue, or whether the other competitors are making it difficult for BBM to work smoothly in their ecosystem.
    ^^^^ Even I find it very strange.

The main issue is the way iOS, Android and WP handle background apps. BUT why can't BlackBerry code it right when WhatsApp works smoothly on those platforms.

Having coaxed most of my family and close friends to use BBM I end up doing all the tech support thingy.

CB10 @ Q5
    Last edited by gvs1341; 01-17-15 at 01:25 PM.
    01-17-15 03:14 AM
172 1234 ...