I switched from an iPhone 6 to the Classic and don't message anyone I know that has a Blackberry. Considering I have sms and mms is there any reason for me to use BBM? What functionality would it provide that I don't have through other means?
    01-16-15 12:55 PM
    The D and R are priceless!
    tado261 likes this.
    01-16-15 12:57 PM
    And you know... iPhone and Android users can use it too. Loves my D and R.
    01-16-15 12:59 PM
    Timed messages and message retraction are great additions in the latest version. Also the ability to do free wifi calling cross-platform anywhere in world. Also love Channels....subscribe to people, brands, communities that are of interest to you...e.g. sports teams, leagues, interests.
    01-16-15 01:02 PM
    If you travel outside your country, you can use BBM on Wi-Fi to send messages to BBM friends without incurring any fees. Also, BBM lets you make voice calls over Wi-Fi which is again great if you're out of country or for calling friends out of country.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-16-15 01:02 PM
    No.
    01-16-15 01:03 PM
    Nearly don't use it for personal communication as most people I know don't have. I use whatsapp....

I like BBM groups thought...

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 01:14 PM
    No.
    Agreed. NONE. Whatsapp does everything already. Wish I could remove BBM from my Q10.
    Al1n, flyingsolid and andy957 like this.
    01-16-15 01:18 PM
    Yea, I wish I knew people that used it. Right now I use Skype mostly if not sms.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 01:22 PM
    SMS/MMS is so reliable now that there really isn't much need for BBM (or any instant messaging service) unless you have a lot of business or friends in other countries. And the fact that so many people have iphones, iMessage is basically a built in instant messenger with the D & R too. I've convinced a couple friends to use BBM mostly for the stickers and smilies or if they have poor cell service at their houses but have wifi....

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-16-15 01:38 PM
    I really love BlackBerry. Bought Z10, Q10, Z30 and Passport as well as Q5 for my sister because I think this is the best OS currently available.

However, there is no reason to use BBM. At least in Europe nobody is using it and I can not identify any additional value. Whatsapp in Europe is the de facto standard. And BlackBerry can cope it quite satisfactory. Insofar I would recommend their devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 01:41 PM
    Another benefit of BBM is that it uses PINs to connect to contacts and maintains your privacy. You never have to give out your phone number to anyone. Want to delete a contact, simply, remove them with the option to block any future communication.

I have 100 BBM contacts and growing...it's the only way I will communicate with people. Best messaging platform hands-down.
    01-16-15 01:44 PM
    I switched from an iPhone 6 to the Classic and don't message anyone I know that has a Blackberry. Considering I have sms and mms is there any reason for me to use BBM? What functionality would it provide that I don't have through other means?
    well, first of all - sms/mms cost money per sms/mms (or use your sms/mms quota), when bbm does not cost a penny (as it utilises mobile internet/wifi). international sms/mms cost a fortune, bbm is free of charge.
    also BBM allows you HIGH quality international calls to other BBM user free of charge. video calls between other bb10 devices (like facetime or whatever name apple gave)
    bbm allows you to send files/pics/ etc free of charge.
    + delivery/read receipts.
    + stickers

basically - yes, as I almost do not use sms, but use bbm
    01-16-15 01:53 PM
    Advantages of BBM when used on a Blackberry:

Video Chat - i use it when traveling to say goodnight to the family
    Native, runs headless and integrated with OS

Disadvantages of BBM on any platform:

Very few people use it, not fun when there's no chats to watch.
    Not easy to find and connect with others who are using it.
    emanuel0ss0 likes this.
    01-16-15 01:57 PM
    I use BBM because they don't storage or get copyright of your sended photo's and messages. That's is why I don't use Whatsapp and Facebook because they match everything right know and selling your information to everyone and it'growing bigger. For example you are chatting a lot about cars with a friend and they know it and now how to use it to send you a message. OK that is nice or not using your stuff.

But now we are going to another level and your information which is important for financial stuff like a loan or work or just an insurrance and they know you are used drugs or had some mental problems a year ago and that's why you maybe must pay more or you get a downer.

So you like facebook, telegram and whatsapp. Yes you do, I don't
    igor10000 and Nave864 like this.
    01-16-15 02:01 PM
    Probably no reason to use BBM as nearly nobody uses it.
    I love BlackBerry and BBM, but being realistic, I don't think you'll find anyone on there. I also cannot understand how people brag about having hundreds of contacts on BBM. I also did 5 years ago, but not anymore.

I've tried hard to persuade friends to switch over, but Whatsapp/Viber have taken over (most of my contacts use these two).

If only things were different.
    andy957 and eksostis like this.
    01-16-15 02:01 PM
    Agreed. NONE. Whatsapp does everything already. Wish I could remove BBM from my Q10.
    Whatsapp also does a few things BBM doesn't like go through your phone book and sends everyone who has Whatsapp an invite if you want it too or not, it shares your information, they sell your information and don't forget you pay for those extra features.
    01-16-15 02:11 PM
    SMS/MMS is so reliable now that there really isn't much need for BBM (or any instant messaging service) unless you have a lot of business or friends in other countries. And the fact that so many people have iphones, iMessage is basically a built in instant messenger with the D & R too. I've convinced a couple friends to use BBM mostly for the stickers and smilies or if they have poor cell service at their houses but have wifi....

Posted via CB10
    SMS/MMS reliable that's laughable. The reliability on sms/mms have gotten worse over the years especially after the birth of smartphones.
    playpen007 and zlatno like this.
    01-16-15 02:15 PM
    First and big reason, Security!! you don't need give your cell phone number, only the pin!!
    twirlyboy likes this.
    01-16-15 02:16 PM
    I'm a big fan of BBM. Have a lot of friends and family on it. Love having special groups for us to share stories and pics. I enjoy having video calls with BBM contacts and also the ability to share screens.

The biggest frustration I have with BBM is that it doesn't seem to work well on Android or iPhone. I have some friends who are using those devices and they don't get notifications properly or they say the app won't open or crashes randomly. I don't know if this is a Blackberry development issue, or whether the other competitors are making it difficult for BBM to work smoothly in their ecosystem.
    01-16-15 02:20 PM
    Whatsapp also does a few things BBM doesn't like go through your phone book and sends everyone who has Whatsapp an invite if you want it too or not, it shares your information, they sell your information and don't forget you pay for those extra features.
    We're selling info left and right without realizing it. I'm not overly concerned or paranoid about it. Not any worse than getting flooded with credit card offers and marketing crap in the mail when you didn't ask for any. $1 isn't something I'd complain about, specially considering the people I want to talk to prefer to use whatsapp and not BBM. I said zero negative words about the beloved BBM, at its peak I had 200 people on it and was an active user. Now I have 3 open chats on it and only 2 have had any new messages in the last 2 months. All 3 people sometimes even forget about BBM and just send me SMSs lol... Nobody's using it, as good as it might be, so I'd have rather removed it from my phone to keep things simple.
    01-16-15 02:26 PM
    At the moment I don't use it because none of my friends or family use it, which is a shame, because I don't think they even know about it, so I will have to sell it to them!

Posted via CB10
    twirlyboy likes this.
    01-16-15 02:42 PM
    The most common response I get from people when I ask them if they are on BBM..."but, I'm not on BlackBerry." Most people don't realize it has now gone cross-platform. Once they realize that, it's usually an easy sell. If you want to use it, you need to sell it to your network. Once they bring BBM Video to the other platforms, I think we'll see an huge uptake in usage.
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-16-15 03:13 PM
    So how's that Wi-Fi calling going?
    01-16-15 03:22 PM
    So how's that Wi-Fi calling going?
    Never needed it. I'm sure I'll remember your comment the very first time I need it. 👍
    eji930 likes this.
    01-16-15 03:42 PM
172 123 ...