So since yesterday, literally, my BB Classic is using battery at twice the rate that is has been since I have owned it.

Historically my Classic has had exemplary battery life. As in; I take it off the charger at about 0500 in the morning and under m normal usage have at least 50% - 60% battery left when I settle in for the night which is somewhere between 2100 (9pm) & 2200 (10pm).

Yesterday, per my norm, I took the phone off charge at 0600 and I noticed that around noon my Classic's battery was at 60%. That's a HUGE difference.

Today I take the device off the charger at about 0600 again and I Just looked and the battery is at 22%.

So I looked at my usage (calls, texts, email, very little FB, and a couple other very minor other app usage like the remember app and the calendar.

There were 4 phone calls yesterday the longest was 8 minutes. and only 1 call today for a total of 4 minutes.

Maybe 20 text messages yesterday and as of right now only 4 texts today.

Only a couple emails each day.

I know that sounds odd but I'm not a heavy user. And probably that 2 day usage is actually a little low considering my average but I've only had the problem over those 2 days.

Bluetooth, blend, NFC etc are all off. Location is always on and has not changed. Wifi is on and always is. And regarding wifi I have been connected to wifi for both days so its not like the device is searching for a signal.

What has changed.....: The evening before this started happening I DID finally decide to activate the encryption and PW protect the phone.

Can it be that this is causing a battery draw?

I have looked at the "Device Monitor" thing and frankly I don't see anything jumping out at me however the "System" shows 58% of the usage. There are maybe 4 other things showing less than 2% usage and then a bunch of stuff showing as "Idle."

Before you ask, YES I have turned it off and back on.

Thoughts?
    01-28-16 01:39 PM
    So since yesterday, literally, my BB Classic is using battery at twice the rate that is has been since I have owned it.

Historically my Classic has had exemplary battery life. As in; I take it off the charger at about 0500 in the morning and under m normal usage have at least 50% - 60% battery left when I settle in for the night which is somewhere between 2100 (9pm) & 2200 (10pm).

Yesterday, per my norm, I took the phone off charge at 0600 and I noticed that around noon my Classic's battery was at 60%. That's a HUGE difference.

Today I take the device off the charger at about 0600 again and I Just looked and the battery is at 22%.

So I looked at my usage (calls, texts, email, very little FB, and a couple other very minor other app usage like the remember app and the calendar.

There were 4 phone calls yesterday the longest was 8 minutes. and only 1 call today for a total of 4 minutes.

Maybe 20 text messages yesterday and as of right now only 4 texts today.

Only a couple emails each day.

I know that sounds odd but I'm not a heavy user. And probably that 2 day usage is actually a little low considering my average but I've only had the problem over those 2 days.

Bluetooth, blend, NFC etc are all off. Location is always on and has not changed. Wifi is on and always is. And regarding wifi I have been connected to wifi for both days so its not like the device is searching for a signal.

What has changed.....: The evening before this started happening I DID finally decide to activate the encryption and PW protect the phone.

Can it be that this is causing a battery draw?

I have looked at the "Device Monitor" thing and frankly I don't see anything jumping out at me however the "System" shows 58% of the usage. There are maybe 4 other things showing less than 2% usage and then a bunch of stuff showing as "Idle."

Before you ask, YES I have turned it off and back on.

Thoughts?
    If you just enabled encryption... that will take a while to encrypt everything, especially if you did both the device and SD Card. But I would have taught is would have completed that overnight while on the charger.

Give it a day or two to settle in... and try a reboot of the phone. Still an issue change everything back and see what happens.
    FernleyE likes this.
    01-28-16 02:00 PM
    OK...so I to the phone of charge at 0545 this morning. I have not done anything with it at all since.

It is currently 0900 and my battery has drained down to 68%.

That is a serious no go.

Prior to Tuesday this device would not be at 68% until 5pm.

AND...... I also noticed that the phone feel very warm. NOTICEABLY warm.

Hmmmmm......

I guess I'm going to turn the encryption stuff off. Since that is the ONLY thing that has changed about my situation since this started.

Thoughts Anyone?
    01-29-16 08:21 AM
    I HAD the exact same issue not to long ago, Late Dec 2015, with a new AT&T BB Classic. Attempted every fix that google would present including factory wipe, all with no success. I was literally ready to put the new classic in my used smart phone drawer for good and put the ole iPhone 6 back to work, for no other reason than horrible battery draining issue. My classic was lasting less than 24 hours with very light usage. I am a casual user and all I use my Classic for is calls, texting and email (one Microsoft Outlook.com acct.). I have very few additional apps and no Android apps. Any apps I do have are from BBWorld and are built for BlackBerry.

Finally, I came across a thread, I believe here on CrackBerry where a user suggested resetting every account password for ALL accounts that require passwords whether the account was working or not. Not changing the password but going to each account setting and re-entering the current password. I re-entered my BlackBerry ID and outlook.com passwords and for what ever reason this solved my issues. I now get right at 3 Days of moderate usage until I hit the 20% level which is where I have battery save mode kick in. I'm not using bedside mode or battery saver at night so I'm sure further improvement is possible if I utilized those features!

I don't know if an app was continually attempting to login with a corrupt password or what the case was but my issues were resolved this way. So you might try re-entering password for all accounts. Also, fire up BBWorld and make sure there are no apps awaiting an update. I did this as well at the time I reworked my passwords. There was one app in que for an update.

Hope this works for you. Unless the cell phone gods stepped in when the Berry was about to go in the drawer for good, these were the only changes made that could have fixed my issue!
    Last edited by 3307loopi; 01-29-16 at 03:08 PM.
    FernleyE likes this.
    01-29-16 02:42 PM
    Hmmmm Ok.... I may give that idea a run.

However in the mean time.... I decrypted my device/ media card and turned off the device PW protect. I recharged the phone to 100% which was accomplished at 1041am....... it is now 1621 (4:21pm) and 6 hours later my battery is at 84%for a grand total of 16% loss over the 6 hours.

In that time I have made/ received 9 phone calls and 8 emails and 11 text messages checked facebook 3 times and my calendar and the remember app once each.

THAT is more like my normal usage : battery drain.

So my concern now is...... Do I trade off security for dramatic battery life?
    01-29-16 03:26 PM
    Depends on what you are securing I guess. I would rather have a usable device. Just be smart how you use your device and you should be good to go!

My battery drain went from nearly 100% -0%ish in 24-30 hours to nearly 3.25 days at 20% with similar daily usage as you described.
    FernleyE likes this.
    01-31-16 08:45 AM