Hello CrackBerry. I have just recently (past 5 days) found a charging issue with my Classic (SQC100-4) with OS (Unlocked on the Wind cell network)

A few days ago I noticed my charger that I use at night (that I have used for years on my Bold 9900 and now Classic) did not charge my Classic. I know this is not the cable that came with the phone but it's worked every time for years.

I initially thought, no biggie, the charger has failed. Walked down to the kitchen and plugged it in to another known working BlackBerry Charger.... and nothing.... humm. Hard re-boot and still nothing. Tried a LG cable and this was able to charge the phone. I have sprayed the charging port with electrical contact cleaner to ensure no corrosion or lint.

Over the next few days experienced many different known working cables and sometimes they'd work, then not work. Or very slow charging or charge indicator on but not actually charging, or my fav. when you plug it in, the charging icon adds the lightning bolt you put it down and walk away only to find after 30 seconds the phone has stopped charging.

Today I spent all morning testing with one cable. Plug it in.... nothing, pull out and try again, charging but very slowly, try again and this time it charges really fast, about 1% every 2-5 minutes, so even with the same cable the charging speed or charging at all is so random that I am thinking it's a software issue.

Any ideas that I have not tried or anyone else having this issue?

10-14-15 01:05 PM
    Sorry, more info, the charging port itself does not appear damaged and it's not 'wiggly' at all. So I do not think it's the actually hardware itself, but I am not an expert.
    10-14-15 01:11 PM
    Power the device fully off.
    Plug a charger in.
    If the connection is working, the LED on the device should starter cycling slowly on/off green.
    If it doesn't, or you have to wiggle it a bit to start the LED, or it works in spurts, my guess is your USB port is or is going bad on the device.
    10-14-15 01:12 PM
    I tried that this morning. Powered it off and plugged it in. Light went red for a moment then after about 10 seconds slowly flashed a mostly yellow light. After 30 seconds the screened turned on and it looked like it was going to boot itself, but after 5 seconds screen went blank and started to charge. Left it off and charging for an hour and it did charge 6 % in that hour. This was with the same cable I have used all day at work.
    10-14-15 01:23 PM
    When I first received my Classic it would not charge with my old cord but did work with the new one and car charger also bought a new one .. works fine .
    10-14-15 01:53 PM
    Purchased a new car charger from CrackBerry two weeks ago.... worked great until this issue. Now that charger does not work on my phone but it works great on my wife's Samsung 6. :-(
    10-14-15 01:57 PM
    Purchased a new car charger from CrackBerry two weeks ago.... worked great until this issue. Now that charger does not work on my phone but it works great on my wife's Samsung 6. :-(
    Maybe related....
    While on a trip, a friend forgot to bring their Samsung phone charger, I had my BlackBerry one. Hook it up and it charged their phone fine, however the AC cube got so hot I couldn't touch it.
    Their phone was a S4 and a bit later a S5.
    I doesn't get hot when I charge my Z30 and their charger doesn't get hot on their device.
    I suggest not using the BlackBerry charger for other devices.
    guido0136 likes this.
    10-14-15 02:39 PM
    Update: I did a full factory restore (wipe) last night and reloaded the most recent OS ( While it's taken me awhile to get it back up and running it did not seem to fix the issue. I was able to get the phone powered off before bed and plugged it in with the cable that came with the phone. The yellow light blinked slowly and I was assuming it was charging. I awoke this morning to a green light! I thought, perfect, it charged. when I reviewed the last 12 hours of charging it was very weird. between 10:00 pm and about 6:00 am it was stuck exactly at 50% (which is my battery saving level) then all of a sudden at 6:30 am or so the charge dived right up to 100%. My question is: was the phone actually charging and only did the battery tracker update when I powered on the phone, or did it sit at 50% all night then suddenly charge in 30 minutes just before I woke up?
    10-15-15 06:49 AM
    Are you still using the charger for the 9900?
    10-15-15 08:38 AM
    Maybe the USB Port on the Classic is a little weak. I have had mine in the shop twice. Now it seems to work fine. They said they had to "reflow" the solder on the "USB".
    10-15-15 10:08 AM
    Nope, I now only use the charging cable that came with the phone as well as the wall adapter.
    10-15-15 11:51 AM
    So update to share. Took the phone into a repair shop to get a second opinion. They said it was a hardware charging port issue. They had one used port in house so I took a chance. 1 hour later the issue is fixed. Not only does it charge with the BlackBerry Charger that came with the phone, it works for all BlackBerry chargers. Strangely enough the battery drain is so much less. Not sure why but it's a side affect I'll take. Now just hope it lasts till the Priv comes out as I am getting that sucker!
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    10-22-15 07:26 AM