Hello, I am currently using a Classic Q 20. I love it. I have owned all the latest, greatest smartphones but this is all I really need. I use it on AT&T. My question is how long does anyone think I will be able to use for? I only use it for texting, calling, calender, email and two apps. Librivox and a internet radio. The rest I could care less about. I could live with out the two apps but do you think texting, email and calling will work for a couple more years?
    11-15-20 06:41 AM
    Hello, I am currently using a Classic Q 20. I love it. I have owned all the latest, greatest smartphones but this is all I really need. I use it on AT&T. My question is how long does anyone think I will be able to use for? I only use it for texting, calling, calender, email and two apps. Librivox and a internet radio. The rest I could care less about. I could live with out the two apps but do you think texting, email and calling will work for a couple more years?
    AT&T is shutting down its 3G network, and you will lose call and texting capability sometime next year.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-15-20 09:01 AM
    That stinks. Maybe a new phone company?
    11-15-20 09:53 AM
    Maybe a new company that will continue to support 3 g as well as 4g?
    AA Byron likes this.
    11-15-20 09:57 AM
    No such thing. TMO and Verizon are doing the same.
    11-15-20 10:54 AM
    Closest thing would probably be a KEY2 LE
    11-15-20 12:08 PM
    No such thing. TMO and Verizon are doing the same.
    As conite mentions, it’ll be over soon. Here in USA, TMO and VZW are shutting it down and it will be completed soon. Lastly, will be AT&T which only buys you another 6-12 months officially depending on where you’re located.

We only have three networks and the others are just reselling those different three companies under different brands.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-15-20 03:33 PM
    As conite mentions, it’ll be over soon. Here in USA, TMO and VZW are shutting it down and it will be completed soon. Lastly, will be AT&T which only buys you another 6-12 months officially depending on where you’re located.

We only have three networks and the others are just reselling those different three companies under different brands.
    Closest thing would probably be a KEY2 LE
    Unless the carriers won’t support VoLTE on factory unlocked hardware. For instance, AT&T has supported VoLTE on it’s branded KEYone and factory unlocked KEYone but that could change for the factory unlocked hardware version. AT&T doesn’t list the Key2 or Key2 LE as VoLTE supported.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-15-20 03:41 PM
    Unless the carriers won’t support VoLTE on factory unlocked hardware. For instance, AT&T has supported VoLTE on it’s branded KEYone and factory unlocked KEYone but that could change for the factory unlocked hardware version. AT&T doesn’t list the Key2 or Key2 LE as VoLTE supported.
    Basically, AT&T is the carrier of choice for those who want to use BB10 in 2021, but maybe not too ideal for those on DroidBerry's
    11-15-20 04:09 PM
    I guess non of this applies for for us in Canada? Any issues with robellus + bb10 os in 2021?
    11-15-20 04:47 PM
    I guess non of this applies for for us in Canada? Any issues with robellus + bb10 os in 2021?
    Sunset date is 31/12/25 in Canada. But that will be preceded by diminishing coverage quality.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-15-20 05:09 PM
    At&t states that hd voice and lte will work. My model states that those two are on my classic and is supported. So does that mean there is a chance it will work? I will go to key one but do not want to.
    11-15-20 07:02 PM
    At&t states that hd voice and lte will work. My model states that those two are on my classic and is supported. So does that mean there is a chance it will work? I will go to key one but do not want to.
    If you read the list of supported devices linked within the article, PRIV and KEYone are the only BlackBerry hardware.

I believe some have explained the BB10 VoLTE technology is just too old from a standards perspective.
    11-15-20 07:07 PM
    Classic can support 4G network. I hope it also can work in 5G

Posted via CB10
    11-15-20 07:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    5G? That's just starting on some devices this year. No hope for BB10 there.

4G is LTE, so yes, BB10 data services are supported there, but are unlikely to work for calls via VoLTE.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-15-20 07:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't believe so regarding 4G and definitely not 5G since it didn't exist at time of production.
    tractorhobbit likes this.
    11-15-20 07:09 PM
    I understand. Thank you. I am going just use it till I can't. Lol. I am having a hard time letting go. 😂😂 But it appears I have some more time with it so I will just keep plugging along. Thank you all for your responses!
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    11-15-20 07:15 PM
    That's the spirit.

Just have a plan ready once you're cut off.
    11-16-20 08:59 AM
    I have a iphone se 2020. I have not used for months now. So I will have to go back to that. Not happy about it. I will, be able to switch quickly once it stops.
    11-17-20 07:20 AM
    unless TMO completely shuts off the BB10 devices (classic in particular), I don't see a problem making and recieving calls and texts. I downloaded Sip.fm (from bb world) and setup callcentric and pbxes to do my calls and texts. I use one of my google numbers from one of my google gmail accounts. There is a lot of initial setup required. But, call quality, for me, is excellent. Of course that means all calls and text will be voip.

I also have a subscription for my desktop's Microsoft app (forget which one) that allows me to use Microsoft's Tasks and Memos for MS exchange. Perfect app for syncing my tasks and memo's from desktop to my phones (this Classic too). I put this ms tasks n memos on all my android devices and the android K1, k2 and they all sync perfect.

So, again, unless TMO totally prevents my Classic on their network, I will enjoy using my Classic till it dies (I have three backup Classics) lol.
    MadMalthus likes this.
    01-02-21 10:24 AM
    unless TMO completely shuts off the BB10 devices (classic in particular), I don't see a problem making and recieving calls and texts. I downloaded Sip.fm (from bb world) and setup callcentric and pbxes to do my calls and texts. I use one of my google numbers from one of my google gmail accounts. There is a lot of initial setup required. But, call quality, for me, is excellent. Of course that means all calls and text will be voip.

I also have a subscription for my desktop's Microsoft app (forget which one) that allows me to use Microsoft's Tasks and Memos for MS exchange. Perfect app for syncing my tasks and memo's from desktop to my phones (this Classic too). I put this ms tasks n memos on all my android devices and the android K1, k2 and they all sync perfect.

So, again, unless TMO totally prevents my Classic on their network, I will enjoy using my Classic till it dies (I have three backup Classics) lol.
    I don’t believe they’ll kick you off data....
    01-02-21 10:58 AM
    Well finally it's 2021... ;-)
    What a day...
    And luckily the world is much larger than the US...

So hey the rest of us BlackBerry OS10 user's who are fortunate enough not to live in the US-netork $$-boble can continue to enjoy our beloved no-worry BlackBerry OS10 devices as usually, what a great start for the year to come.. have fun ;-)

 Classic  Passport  OS10.3.3.3216
    01-02-21 11:20 AM
    Well finally it's 2021... ;-)
    What a day...
    And luckily the world is much larger than the US...

So hey the rest of us BlackBerry OS10 user's who are fortunate enough not to live in the US-netork $$-boble can continue to enjoy our beloved no-worry BlackBerry OS10 devices as usually, what a great start for the year to come.. have fun ;-)

Here in USA, TMO and VZW users have approximately 30 more days or so while AT&T users have 12 months or so beyond that. At that point, BB10 will be shutdown anyway so we don’t really know what happens after that. None of the various BB10, remove or backup strategies is going to be even close to 100% effective.

I also don’t think other countries or entire regions will slow walk the replacement of 2G/3G for 4G/5G since phasing out the older technology helps carriers paying for newer technologies while reducing support costs for older technologies. It’s not as much capitalistic thinking as realistic thinking and expense management.
    01-02-21 11:52 AM
    I also don’t think other countries or entire regions will slow walk the replacement of 2G/3G for 4G/5G since phasing out the older technology helps carriers paying for newer technologies while reducing support costs for older technologies. It’s not as much capitalistic thinking as realistic thinking and expense management.
    Wonder why in that "non capitalistic aspect" the advanced Huawei tech got elbowed out from western markets this highly praised competitive monophonic expense management... and don't tell me all that constantly bickering was about national security, that has proven to be a bullying effort for own interests ;-)

I'm more worried about the other way round... proven that the capitalistic aspect favour a lesser advanced tec system for better profit to be generated and any superior competitors is given a hard time... to change it to any better stage... ;-)

01-02-21 12:09 PM
    Wonder why in that "non capitalistic aspect" the advanced Huawei tech got elbowed out from western markets this highly praised competitive monophonic expense management... and don't tell me all that constantly bickering was about national security, that has proven to be a bullying effort for own interests ;-)

I'm more worried about the other way round... proven that the capitalistic aspect favour a lesser advanced tec system for better profit to be generated and any superior competitors is given a hard time... to change it to any better stage... ;-)

While I do believe there’s a security aspect involved for every sovereign nation to be careful to ever trust any other sovereign nations, that’s not in any capacity what I’m referring to here. Every government and carrier has some level of expense contribution to 4G, 5G and beyond network upgrades and support. I suspect that some 2G and 3G networks replacements will just happen sooner than later to save on government and carrier expenses.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-02-21 12:35 PM
46 12