Hi there fellow crackberries

I've been using Bold 9900, and even with the Classic I still can't find compelling reason to upgrade.

I'm so disappointed that Blackberry still hasn't learned that users want MAXIMIZED SCREEN REAL ESTATE. There's really no need for that "Blackberry" logo on top, and the screen could've easily have been 4 inches.
    For a phone with such size 3.5 is not acceptable in 2015/16. Even if it was a little bit taller, I am sure many of us would've appreciated the extra screen size. And the screen size has always been an issue with Blackberries and I'm disappointed that continues to be the case in 2015.

The Bold 9900 performs like the first day I got it, and I've had it for 5 years now. I only tried BB10 for a few days, but find os7 to be much quicker for most basic tasks such as calls, texting/emails, memo pad, calendar, password keeper, tasks. If the bold 9900 had acceptable camera with auto-focus, and more decent maps app, I don't see need to upgrade in the next few years neither.

The bold 9900 is also more pocketable device (lighter and smaller).

I would buy Classic-like device with a 4 - 4.5 inch screen, with streamlined bezels in a heartbeat. Until then, I don't think there are huge advantages to upgrade from Bold 9900 to the Classic IMHO.

To the Classic owners: What are your thoughts on the screen size and overall functionality advantages over the bold 9900? Thanks
    01-09-16 08:53 PM
    5yrs is different from few days with bb10 just saying

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 09:42 PM
    I have to agree, having bought a Classic and while i do love it, it does not work as expected with the simple task of streaming music. one thing I do the most with a phone is stream music, but my Bold 9900 and my Curve can stream for several hours at a time without a burp, my BB10s cannot.

I just yesterday took my simcard out of my brand new Classic and put it back into my Bold and I am happy once again.

I believe my problem is atnt locking me into LTE all the time even tho LTD is spotty where I live. i have complained to them several times over the phone but they insist their hands are tied and thats the way it has to be.

but i still love my Classic (its Bluuue!) and someday it will be my phone... at least part time.
    lukeoverhere and fireboy2281 like this.
    01-09-16 10:21 PM
    For what it's worth, as a passport owner I think the classics screen is plenty big for those upgrading from a 9900. Yeah they could have given it a bigger screen if the cut the logo out, but that just kills the device for me. I love the BlackBerry logo.

And the classic is a very well built and easy to hold and use device, imho.

But everyone is different

Sent from my Passport
    01-09-16 10:47 PM
    I just wanted to add, I have no complaints about the Classic screensize, and if not for the music thing I would still say if I could have only one BlackBerry (God forbid), I would want it to be the Classic.

only one simcard = Bold still wins, but we do do wifi browsing with the new pocket browser, the trim and slim Z3.

my Q5 is being neglected, it does deserve mention as a great little powerhouse phone that may suit people who find the Classic too bulky.
    01-09-16 10:53 PM
    My Classic is too large already. Larger screen would make it even larger. Toolbelt/trackpad makes larger screen unnecessary for navigation. Which is why 9900's tiny 2.8" screen works just fine. Classic's Mirracast makes larger screen unnecessary for viewing, IMO. Classic's oversized screen makes Classic oversized, IMO. 2.8" in a 9900 sized Classic would have been perfection for me. Just gotta hold the smaller screen a little closer. Lol.
    01-09-16 11:57 PM
    Thanks for the input
    01-10-16 12:35 AM
    I don't know if blackberry can extended the screen on the classic because I really don't think that there is a hollow space under the blackberry name branding.

Posted via CB10
    ChrisLeNeve and jakeb1986 like this.
    01-10-16 06:55 AM
    I don't know if blackberry can extended the screen on the classic because I really don't think that there is a hollow space under the blackberry name branding.

Posted via CB10
    There are components under there. Deciding whether those could be relocated is above my pay grade. Lol. Preserving 1:1 AR while adding screen height means wider screen. And wider device. Comfortably reaching Classic's "alt" or "enter" keys with far thumb already requires me to trim thumbnails strangely long. Lol.

If that space were truly available (I very much doubt), my vote would be to utilize that space to make Classic shorter. My hand thinks 1/4" shorter would be wonderful, IMO. Lol.
    01-10-16 08:15 AM
    I have to disagree completely.
    Whilst I respect your opinion and know that not everyone likes / wants the same things, the Classic for me is the true successor to these older BB7 devices. The Q10 just didn't cut it but the Classic has it pretty spot on

Whilst I agree that the Classic could have done with a little extra in the screen department, I have zero problems with the screen itself when using it for what I use my phone for. For instance, texting, emailing, whatsapping, BBM'ing etc all take advantage of that bigger display. With most other phones out there the virtual keypads takes up all the space and leaves you with less screen than the Classic offers. Unless of course you've got a Nexus 6 or 6 Plus or some other huuuuge phablet which not everyone wants.

In terms of other things like music and media, the Classic is not the phone for that. Whilst it can do it, it is not optimal for this type of smart phone use. I learned that the hard way by solely using a Classic for a few months and yearning for my old iphone for these things.

That's why now I intend to go Classic and iPod Touch combo for best of all world's.
    hplovecraft and Avenzuno like this.
    01-10-16 08:23 AM
    I can't agree.

I too had the 9900...and for me the screen real estate of the Classic was a big improvement over my Bold. Web-browsing etc. is a different thing now.

Concerning usability I really don't want to start another BBOS vs. BB10...its 2016. You will always find certain things which BBOS could do faster for you...especially after 5y of usage. If these things are so important...just stay with you 9900. You know, the fastest I could ever write a small sms was with my Nokia E52...is it a better phone as the Classic because of that?

I sometimes pick up my Bold....could not go back to it, no way.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hplovecraft; 01-10-16 at 09:46 AM.
    01-10-16 08:36 AM
    I came from a 9900 and it was a long difficult transition. I still miss a few things from BlackBerry 7 but I won't ever go back.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    01-10-16 09:05 AM
    I, personally, just don't see an "either, or" choice. I use BOTH my 9900 AND my Classic. Just a matter of honestly identifying strengths and weaknesses of each and efficiently fitting them into work flow. My 99 still does most typing, texting, emailing, spreadsheet, calendar, etc. I use BBOS' "forward SMS as Email" ALL the time. BUT I can't get by without my Classic's browsers and Mirracast. Classic's trackpad makes it king of Mirracast, IMO. Reminiscent of 9900-PlayBook-hdmi but NO wires!

If BB ever see's fit to restore BB10.2 Calendar, I might be more tempted to leave 9900 behind. Maybe. Possibly. At least a little...

My suggestion? Use both. Win win.
    rayporsche likes this.
    01-10-16 09:22 AM
    The only upgrade from the 9930 Bold to BB10 is with the Passport. I went to a Verizon store to replace my Bold 9930 with a Classic and was sadly disappointed with the Classic , I then went to a AT&T store that had the Passport and Classic and found the Passport to be the only true BB10 upgrade for me.
    stuck_788 likes this.
    01-10-16 12:46 PM
    To be honest, I too think that the Passport is the more "real" upgrade to the 9900, the only reason Im on the fence of upgrading to the Passport is the huge size, not ideal for phone calls when holding the phone up to your ear (although I do use headset most of the time, except for short calls), and also I hear the keyboard is not as good as the one on the Classic.
    Just to reiterate, my main usages are: phone calls, emails/messaging calendar, memopad, password keeper, browsing, occasional snapshots, and long battery life.
    Would the performance and ease of use for the above mentioned tasks be better on the Passport than on the Classic?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-10-16 01:08 PM
    Screen size on the classic seems fine IMO.

It actually has more screen visible while typing than my previous all-screen phones w/ the virtual keyboard.

SQC100-4/Classic-Black/OtterBox Case
    01-10-16 01:20 PM
    I think it's terrific you're happy with and still using your 9900. I was a BB7 hold-out for a long time and couldn't see myself switching to BB10. I loved the reliability of BIS and couldn't see life without the tool belt. What finally won me over to BB10 was the greatly improved Browser, BBM/Skype video calling, and the ability to access my pc's files from my Q10 using BlackBerry Link's Remote File Access. I found within one week of getting my Q10 that I didn't need (or miss) the tool belt and that email was just as reliable as it was on my BB7 handset.
    playfoot likes this.
    01-10-16 01:32 PM
    Sitting here holding my PassPort in one hand and 9900 in the other, it's hard to imagine two more diametrically opposite concepts. An "upgrade" should strengthen weaknesses without sacrificing strengths, IMO. It's really hard to find ANY 9900 strengths that were not sacrificed in the PassPort. Compact form factor, swappable battery, convenience key... Toolbelt? My PassPort's capacitive keyboard is a half a$$ed substite for a REAL toolbelt, IMO. I can see where it might be great for certain uses, but not for my case.

The two devices were, in fact, NOT made by the same company. BBRY is an entirely different company from RIM. Only the surname stayed the same. Lol.

At least our Classics have real toolbelts. Imperfect as they are, Classic's toolbelt makes it THE most single handed friendly device in current production. As such, it uniquely provides opportunity for "double fisted" use. 9900 in left hand with Classic in right and POWERful things happen!! .
    Xeak likes this.
    01-10-16 02:16 PM
    I still have the 9900, I also use the P9982, recently I got the P9983 and for the first time I could see myself switching from the 9900 to use the 9983 as my main phone. They are nearly similar in size and weight, as well as design. I also have the classic but it feels less like the 9900 than the 9983 does.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 03:09 PM
    I don't understand the concerns regarding music. I only listen to music at the gym, but find my classic more than adequate for Pandora, Sirius, iHeart, etc. Paired with a Bluetooth headset it's good for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 03:14 PM
    I was exactly the same not long ago. Despite owning a Q10 briefly, my main phone has been the 9900 since it was released. Great phone but finally my battery crapped out and I had the chance to upgrade on my contract.

If you're not one for apps or web browsing and you just use your 9900 for communications, there isn't that much advantage other than the redesigned BlackBerry Hub in BlackBerry 10 is a treat to use. However, for Web browsing and apps, the classic is most certainly a radical improvement, I found my 9900 getting very slow in loading the newer and more complex mobile sites of today and the classic has a more up to date browser to handle this.

Essentially it all comes down to the software being better and having a larger screen.

Posted via CB10
    Mender67 likes this.
    01-10-16 03:30 PM
    Come on OP, the classic beats the 9900 in every aspect, even the Q10 beats the 9900. Back then it was a great phone, but there isnt anything about the 9900 that would make me switch back. Maybe the OS, I remember 7 was very fluid. I own a classic and a passport and honestly the classic impressed me, Im very satisfied with it.
    Last edited by Tessoro Desoto; 01-10-16 at 07:16 PM.
    01-10-16 06:49 PM
    Classic lacks are evident, but the hardest argument to upgrade to it from 9900 is the sensation to not "stay in the past " and the joy to simply "upgrade" to a new modern device wich you have to discover and enjoy. After some years using the same device we get tired to look at it, and even you liking it, you have to change to motivate yourself.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 07:07 PM
    Who still uses old os? Move on
    01-10-16 07:15 PM
    I understand completely about how bbos was quicker then bb10. Easier to get around and quick. I noticed the couple second delay with my classic. Still very easy to get around just a touch slower. I would not go back though the keyboard on this phone is amazing and I sure appreciate the bigger screen and the best part of bb10, the HUB!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 07:46 PM
83 123 ...