As a lomg t�me 9700 (twice) and 9900 (also twice) user and also as Q10 and Classic user I can say:

- I wanted to go back several times in early days of Q10. I purchased it when it was totally new thing and OS10 that time was really too new

- later with Q10 I was quite happy but been missing old trackpad for text selection etc. But not enough to go back

- with Classic - no way to go back. It's much faster, when you learn using all those hidden features and gestures, it's serously productive. And I can use Web browser what was almost impossible in past. Now I don't even remember when I failed to load any Web including complicate pages with animated layers and windows on top of the main page etc. In past always problems.

But you are right - size of classic is little bit bigger to be so ultra comforable as 9900 and I loved that silver metal frame around it.

Posted via CB10
    stuck_788 likes this.
    01-10-16 09:10 PM
    Who still uses old os? Move on
    I still use old OS. Why not? Why "move on"? Where to? I also use new OS. New OS does some things better. Old OS does some things better. If new OS provided a TRUE upgrade path, old OS would die a natural death. It didn't and it hasn't.

Using both, old and new side by side, provides ALL the new features of new OS while also retaining ALL of the efficient functionality afforded by a mature and truly refined "old OS". Best of both worlds. Win win.

9900 is very compact. I carry it instead of packing a spare battery pack for my Classic. It provides functionally redundant reliability far beyond batt packs. While also providing unmatched screen estate that can be readily viewed while conversing over the other phone. Win win.

Rather than "move on", expanded capabilities permit me to "grow out".
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-10-16 10:26 PM
    I have to agree, having bought a Classic and while i do love it, it does not work as expected with the simple task of streaming music. one thing I do the most with a phone is stream music, but my Bold 9900 and my Curve can stream for several hours at a time without a burp, my BB10s cannot.

I just yesterday took my simcard out of my brand new Classic and put it back into my Bold and I am happy once again.

I believe my problem is atnt locking me into LTE all the time even tho LTD is spotty where I live. i have complained to them several times over the phone but they insist their hands are tied and thats the way it has to be.

but i still love my Classic (its Bluuue!) and someday it will be my phone... at least part time.
    How the hell did you do that? Sim card adapter? Or does the nano from your Classic fit in the micro sim slot on your Bold?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-10-16 10:39 PM
    Just to reiterate, my main usages are: phone calls, emails/messaging calendar, memopad, password keeper, browsing, occasional snapshots, and long battery life
    Other than browsing and snapshots, everything else you mention is better via the 9900, imo. I'm one of the frustrated after a long, painful transition from the 9900 to the Classic people. As for screen size, if you compare a Classic side-by-side with a 9900, the icons on the Classic seem huge, and they pop. Browsing, while not perfect, is significantly better on the Classic.

To be completely honest, I get the impression that the Classic can be a beast of a phone to people with above-average technical knowledge and ability (or at least those willing to put in significant research and implementation time). With some tweaks, it seems you can get everything you want via a BB Classic. To the average smartphone user (ie me), or someone who doesn't have the time (or the patience), the Classic is nothing but a frustrating, shoulda-coulda-woulda phone that takes two steps back for every step forward. The 9900, for me, never required any tweaking or adjustments for an ideal setup. For me, it worked perfectly from the get go. It's just that over time, it couldn't keep up on the browsing side of things.

EDIT: Edited to add that, more than anything, the HUB on BB10 is fantastic. It's better than any feature on any phone I've ever had. Although, it still won't work properly with the "delete prior" function. It's a great feature.
    01-11-16 09:56 AM
    Was I the only one finding website to be worse and worse on the 9900? Some not even opening, or causing a never ending hourglass?
    01-11-16 12:20 PM
    Screen size is fine. Problem is the phone is touch and everything on the screen is huge. A BB7 phone packed more useful info on a smaller screen because of this.

BBOS is much faster than the Classic in most things. You clicked a button and blam, the program was there. Not so with these newer 'better' phones. All apps take time to load and nearly every screen change has a stupid animation.
    01-11-16 12:25 PM
    Screen size is fine. Problem is the phone is touch and everything on the screen is huge. A BB7 phone packed more useful info on a smaller screen because of this.
    First time I've seen the argument that a smaller screen gives more information...and the Bold is touch too, for your information.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-16 01:01 PM
    I wish I still had my 9650...I find my Classic to be big and clunky, comparatively. (I was forced onto an iPhone 5c for a while and that's one of the smaller phones on the market, I hear, so that may be part of it.) I keep forgetting I still have the trackpad there, so I touch just about everything...makes me wonder why they brought the trackpad back, actually.

Unless someone helps me sort out my keyboard issue, though, I'm sending my Classic back to Verizon and getting a Galaxy S5. (*sigh*)
    01-11-16 01:36 PM
    A 3.5" screen with a PKB and a modern OS is well worth any perceived shortcomings or inconveniences there would be from moving on from BBOS. The 9900 is only "quick" because you know how to get around it well. Once you master BB10 and all its shortcuts it's far faster to switch between apps and properly utilize the hub than it was to manage on OS7.
    01-11-16 03:49 PM
    First time I've seen the argument that a smaller screen gives more information...and the Bold is touch too, for your information.

Posted via CB10
    9900 packs a LOT more information onto its tiny screen. Even while browsing I know at a glance, signal condition, network status, wifi connection name & strength, battery level, Bluetooth status, message status, weather alerts... That's just over the Browser. Home screen displays all the above plus 18 app icons, time & date, unread message count, profile status, alarm status, AND, BeWeather current weather conditions, today's high/low temps, current "feels like" temp AND current location! !! Invaluable when stepping off a plane, IMO.

Compare that list with BB10 and you can see that SOMEone at RIM went an extra mile, or two. I've always gotten the impression that QNX charged BB quite a lot extra for each feature included. IMO.

JFYI, not all Bolds were touch. My elderly parents, and their friends, LOVE their non-touch Bold 9650s and touch disabled 9900s. Touch is disabled on the 9900 I'm using for this post. Hyper sensitive capacitive touch is incompatible with some elderly folks with "shakey" fingers. No need for touch with properly implemented trackpad.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-11-16 04:10 PM
    Guys I really like my Bold 9900 too....but this is getting ridiculous.

Web browsing was really not as nice on Bold, maybe you see some status stuff above which leads to a smaller overall window for your webpage. I prefer the BB10 browser on the Classic...ever heard of quick view in BB10?

Hey my Simens S3 from 1995 was reeealy fast in dialling. It had dedicated keys for this function alone, they were called number buttons. BB10 does not have those dedicated dialling buttons anymore there's some steps involved now, so I goes BB10 sucks big time compare to my old S3.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-16 05:06 PM
    The 9900 is only "quick" because you know how to get around it well. Once you master BB10 and all its shortcuts it's far faster to switch between apps and properly utilize the hub than it was to manage on OS7.
    Not that it is a make or break thing, but open any of the apps you need in your day-to-day working life on the Bold 9900 and then on the Q10. For example, the tasks and memos open immediately on the 9900. I have both devices, and on the Q10, when you open "Remember" there's a notable delay.

That being said, I don't understand why it bothers some people on CrackBerry that some of us like the Bold 9900 still. We're all well aware of it's shortcomings. The browser sucks, crashes, and is insecure, the download speeds are pretty slow, and the apps that still function are getting very long in the tooth. We know that. And yet, it's still one of the best devices you can own for a few basic work-related tasks.
    01-11-16 07:38 PM
    That being said, I don't understand why it bothers some people on CrackBerry that some of us like the Bold 9900 still. We're all well aware of it's shortcomings. The browser sucks, crashes, and is insecure, the download speeds are pretty slow, and the apps that still function are getting very long in the tooth. We know that. And yet, it's still one of the best devices you can own for a few basic work-related tasks.
    Nobody has a problem that you guys like your Bold 9900. Hey its a great device, and sure it does certain things faster and better then the Classic, no argumentation here. There are just many threads were people want to convince others that the Classic sucks.

The argumentation is always the same. 'Functions A-D are much better on Bold, and Function A-D are the important functions for a telephone....ergo Classic sucks'.

All of this depends on WHAT one sees as important. For example when using my Bold I had problems with html email, really stupid when you wanna use electronic boarding cards when flying. With Classic....never a problem! These days some (cheap) airlines don't even sent an email but advice you to use their app for the electronic boarding pass. With classic I was able to install these apps, with my 9900....not so much.

If one is happy about the Bold....be happy....but why whine about the Classic?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 05:48 AM
    yes, a simcard adapter is required for a nano to a Bold, but a microcard will work in a Bold without an adapter. the nano card is thinner (I tried!). I already had the snap in plastic adapter that holds the card pretty secure, and as posted elsewhere adapters must be used with extreme caution so as not to have them separate and ruin your contact pins.

a new annoyance, atnt is resetting my voicemail every time I switch devices now. guess my poor Classic is gonna rest for awhile.

... I forgot to quote the post I was answering.
    Last edited by to boldly go; 01-12-16 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added comments
    01-12-16 07:42 AM
    There are just many threads were people want to convince others that the Classic sucks.

I don't think people are saying the Classic sucks. They are simply frustrated that the Classic is not the Bold II.

Improvements with the Classic are great but they come with the sacrifice of quickness and efficiency that many are use to with the BB7.

I sort of see it like getting a new, nice, fancy car but it only allows 1/4 throttle; awesome but don't be in a hurry.
    01-12-16 08:07 AM
    Nobody has a problem that you guys like your Bold 9900. Hey its a great device, and sure it does certain things faster and better then the Classic, no argumentation here. There are just many threads were people want to convince others that the Classic sucks.

The argumentation is always the same. 'Functions A-D are much better on Bold, and Function A-D are the important functions for a telephone....ergo Classic sucks'.

All of this depends on WHAT one sees as important. For example when using my Bold I had problems with html email, really stupid when you wanna use electronic boarding cards when flying. With Classic....never a problem! These days some (cheap) airlines don't even sent an email but advice you to use their app for the electronic boarding pass. With classic I was able to install these apps, with my 9900....not so much.

Posted via CB10
    Well, this IS the Classic forum so I agree that this is a poor place to just "whine" about the Classic. I even question if this forum is a legitimate place for this thread. That decision is above my pay grade, however. Lol.

I do not, however, see how it's "ridiculous" to factually explain display differences to someone questioning that a smaller screen did, in fact, provide more information. We might disagree on the relative need for that info but I don't see that disagreement itself as "ridiculous", either. Just legitimate comparison and debate of BlackBerry's two most modern ToolBelt devices, IMO. A debate that has flamed to "ridiculous" with BB10 trolls over in the 99 forum, btw. Two wrongs don't make a right, tho. So I certainly agree that comparing strengths & weaknesses should not cross into pointless "whining" & bashing.

I, myself, have NEVER claimed Classic Sux. I do freely claim 9900's native browser Sux. It's an "emergency only" solution that I don't use for ANYthing financial. EBay no longer works within that browser, either. (eBay DealFinder still works, tho) That's what my Classic is for. Classic isn't perfect, either. I carry and use both. Optimally done only by honestly identifying strengths and weaknesses, as they apply to individual needs. I just wish we could carry on a substantively honest debate without the "whining" OR the thin skin.
    01-12-16 08:17 AM
    There are just many threads were people want to convince others that the Classic sucks.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.
    01-12-16 09:12 AM
    Man, I'm late to this party, but better late then never.

I have had a 9900 for years, and STILL have a 9900 on my business line. I have used the Classic, the Q5, the Z30 and soon I'll be replacing my old 9900 with a new Passport on the business line.

Here are the bottom line items, OP.

The 9900 is ideal if the only things you will be doing is text, email, phone, and occasional social media and web browsing. However, the OS is really showing its age, and there is little pass-through automation. i.e., you can't click on a Twitter message notice in your email and have it open your Twitter App. There are serious gaps in Apps if you are an App-Happy guy. Some apps still work, but many have flow the coop long ago. I have eMail Plus Plus loaded so that my open emails default to HTML, but it's not good. Much of the email I view is out of skew and hard to read, so I have to revert back to simple text email.

Yet there is much to still love about the 9900. The phone is a raw communication tool. Indeed, if you are a busy executive or a business owner like me, hammering on a 9900 is delightful. The keyboard is great, the shortcuts are easy to learn, and the trackpad is great. The phone's design with the charging pads on the bottom make it nice to pop in a charging stand on the desk, or put in a battery case for extended use. Speaking of case, accessories for a legacy device like the 9900 are now dirt cheap. I picked up a rather expensive battery case for pennies on the dollar at Amazon. Most genuine BB accessories and all aftermarket gear is now on blowout prices. That's a perk for still hanging on to the old warhorse 9900. BLEND works GREAT with a Playbook. It truly does. It's a joy to have the 9900 in my office in the charging stand next to my Playbook in its charging stand both linked via Blend and being able to see my emails at a distance and decide if I want to respond or not.

And NOTHING tops the 9900 in my mind when it comes to productivity automation. The phone was designed to automate many things for a busy executive. Accepting a GOTOMEETING invitation is quick, easy and efficient. The phone pops the complete info in your calendar and shoots off an acceptance to the originator. The 9900 still plays very nicely with Gmail, and your calendar and contacts sync perfectly with your gmail (Google) account. And with Nobex Contacts installed, the phone captures and stands ready to automatically create a new contact for you when an email comes in from an unknown contact. And it gets the details right 99 percent of the time. Again, the phone is a business MACHINE.

But back to the age thing. If I try and use the phone to Web Surf... ouch. Big minus. If I try and click on an email button that I have a new twitter message, ERROR, it can't open my Twitter app and shoots me to the Web to try and do it manually. I'm not an Instagrammer, but I know that's an issue with BBOS 7. Many apps present an issue. A few still work, like Spotify and Slacker, but you must have a paying account with these to get them to work because the old Apps on the 9900 do not support the FREE version with advertising, so only PAID subscriptions work. And as time goes on more and more and more of these things are going to pop up and it starts becoming a real problem.

So now you've got BB10.
    Oh yes. I fought this big time. I held on to my 9900 with a death grip. I thought everyone was nuts to jump ship to a new OS that was not ready for prime time and had no toolbelt or trackpad. But finally, reluctantly, on my personal line I put a Q5. I forced myself to use it. Weeks went by, then months and I started realizing that it was vastly superior in many ways. Yes, there are things the 9900 can do better and more efficiently, but the BB10 devices are newer, have the ability to run many Droid apps, have access to the Amazon Store for apps, and they do incorporate things like click-through so your pressing a button on an email actually opens the corresponding app. And Web Surfing is greatly enhanced. It's night and day in that regard. And then there is speed. The dual core processors of most BB10 phones blow away the 9900 with a drag race, especially since BB10 is written lean, like some of the OS7 code. you do give up charging tabs on the bottom of the phone, so no phone dock, you give up BRIDGE, you gain BLEND. I have BLENDED my BB10 to my iPad with great success. It's sometimes not as "Stable" as a 9900 Bridged to a Playbook, but it works great for a cross-platform sync application.

Finally, there is the HUB. Oh my, the HUB. What can I say? It's sheer genius. I mean Wile E. Coyote GENIUS. Truly. One place for all the good stuff that effects you. Ease of transaction with all the incoming messages, texts, social media. Even some open apps like music apps are in the Hub reminding you they are playing. Then there is the Open Application screen showing you vignettes of every open application you have. You can click on a vignette to open it fully or close it completely from one page, right next to the Hub. Whomever came up with the HUB is a certified Genius. It's game-set-match in my book Truly. Once you really get to know BB10, you probably will net be comfortable going back to the 9900.

So I am finally replacing my 9900 with a new Passport because it's the only BB10 device with a Quad Core Processor, and because I want to have a square screen for my document viewing, and I want capacitive touch keys with word suggestion. Yes, I like the Classic, I like the Q5 and I like the Z30. All of these have been great phones for me, but I am truly looking forward to the Passport.

But if you want a 9900 FEEL with souped-up 2016 architecture, the CLASSIC is the way to go, and you will probably, after about a month, wonder how you got along so far on that old 9900.

Try it and you'll agree. I would bet on it.
    04-20-16 11:44 PM
    Long story short.
    Let us know how you adjust to that oddly laid out passport keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 12:58 AM
    To the person who said BlackBerry 10 cannot stream good. I run Spotify all day to my car home and at work. Not sure what your talking about.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 09:40 AM
    For some the Classic is too big, for some it's too small. You can't please everyone. There are choices though. You can keep the Bold, get the Q10, get a Classic or even the supersized Passport. Maybe the Priv if you're down with the Droid.
    04-21-16 11:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    Will do, absolutely. I think I'll be OK once I make it past the 2 week mark or so. As much as I love BB10, I was not really a fan for the first few weeks, but then you settle in and get used to things. It's that way with most things. It takes you a while to get used to something and then you either become a fan, or you realize you don't like the way it is operating.

I have watched all of the Youtube reviews in depth. One is about 20 minutes long by the Tech-Geek-Chick and it was pretty good. She goes through how it took her a while to get used to the keyboard on the Passport, but after a few weeks as her Daily Driver, she really liked it. My Q5 does not do word pre-selection. The Z30 does, but it does not have a keyboard. Having BOTH in ONE device will be very neat for me.

I really did my homework on this one and I am convinced that the Passport is my ticket to smartphone happiness. Yes, I know it's not for everyone, but it is for me.

I'll keep you posted. Give me a few weeks and I'll report.
    04-21-16 08:44 PM
    For some the Classic is too big, for some it's too small. You can't please everyone. There are choices though. You can keep the Bold, get the Q10, get a Classic or even the supersized Passport. Maybe the Priv if you're down with the Droid.
    Or you can keep the Bold AND get a BB10. That's what I did originally. I kept my 9900 on the business line, and got a Q5 to dip a toe into BB10. At first, I was not a fan and kept running home to BB0S 7 on the Bold. Then, after a few weeks of really trying to get used to bB10, I realized how much better it really was for me, and I began to use the Bold less and less. Now, the Bold seems antiquated on so many things, especially Web use and App-Pass-Through. It drove me nuts when I got an email on the Bold that I had a Twitter message, and when I clicked on READ it took me to the Web rather than opening up Twitter. The BB10 devices operate more fluidly and open the App for you as it should be.

There are a few things you give up leaving the Bold, like some automation of contact capture via Nobex, and the most excellent BlackBerry Travel BIS version, as well as the charging contacts on the bottom of the bold to use in a STAND instead of a micro USB, but you GAIN so much by jumping to a BB10 device, the trade-off is well worth it.

If you can swap Sims, then keep the Bold and go back and forth from the Bold to a BB10 device for a while. See which one you like and give yourself some time to judge the features and benefits of both platforms, then make a decision. That's what I did. Now I moving on to a Passport. That's how much I love BB10. And I was a die-hard 9900 fan.
    04-21-16 08:59 PM
    I do also own a Classic and love it but sometimes it is a little slow. Which gestures an hidden features are you talking about because I would love to make my Classic even faster
    08-18-16 03:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well, I have had the Passport (unlocked international version) for about 8 months now, and I love it. Truly. I don't see the size as being an issue. I can hold it up to my ear for calls easy enough. I like the square large screen for emails and texts and surfing. I don't plan on using my phone for much video watching, but Youtube vids look fine to me.

The keyboard is no issue. I got used to it quickly and the small spacebar and having to jump from physical to on-screen for numbers and symbols does not bother me in the least. The predictive function is fine as is the correction function. I surprisingly hardly EVER use the capacitive touch keyboard functions. Not sure why. To be honest, I forget it has this feature and end up using the touch screen 100 percent of the time instead of the touch-keyboard features. Perhaps it's because I never really started using this is why I don't use it. I may need to address this and try using that feature again.

I loaded Cobalt and a bunch of Droid apps. Most of these work well for me, but some do not work at all. Uber, for example, loads fine but then just hangs on start-up stating you have no connection. Many apps have issues but that's the nature of side-loading. But some key apps i use a lot like Starbucks and Amazon Cloud Drive and Mixcloud and Slacker all run great from the Google Play Store. Some apps like Slacker are much better on Droid than they are on the Amazon BlackBerry Store or BlackBerry world, so I deleted them and loaded the Droid versions.

I have NOT taken my 9900 off of my business line and replaced it with the Passport yet and I am using the Passport on the personal line where the Q5 used to be. I may in fact retire the 9900 at the end of this year, but one of the issues I have with the Passport is that BlackBerry Blend does not work for me. I have tried Blending the Passport to my iPad, and other devices without success. So I have stuck with the 9900 BRIDGED to the Playbook for now. If I can figure out why Blend is not working, and get that talking to a tablet like the iPad, then I'll probably FINALLY retire the 9900 and use the Passport for business. Once you get used to the size and screen of the Passport (along with the power of BB10), you do realize that the 9900 is really at the sunset of its days. But it has not gone dark yet!
    12-12-16 12:56 PM
83 1234