That's the two speakers.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, makes sense.
    07-26-14 10:39 AM
    Could be wrong but didn't J Chen SAY the Q20 would be a "flagship" model?
    You are correct. "A new flagship smartphone".
    BlackBerry announces the BlackBerry Q20 - A keyboard phone with the classic trackpad and function keys | CrackBerry.com
    07-26-14 09:10 PM
    Ermmm sorry to disappoint you , bit if you want an example of how Chen defines flagship there's the Passport ! Quad-core Snapdragon CPU, 1440 x 1440 screen, 3 GB RAM, and a 3450 mAh battery, now that's a flagship!
    So, with the Classic announced as a flagship device, the Passport coming out first, Blackberry's silence on the Classic's specs, the Classic's being built of premium materials ( which OEMs don't waste on midrange devices) plus being designed for durability and the Classic being the Q10's successor, it's logical that the Classic, apart from the screen size and the tool belt, will have the Passport's specs. Oh and a newer version of Blackberry 10 of course!
    07-27-14 09:52 AM
    I said the same thing!
    07-27-14 09:53 AM
    Ermmm sorry to disappoint you , bit if you want an example of how Chen defines flagship there's the Passport ! Quad-core Snapdragon CPU, 1440 x 1440 screen, 3 GB RAM, and a 3450 mAh battery, now that's a flagship!
    So, with the Classic announced as a flagship device, the Passport coming out first, Blackberry's silence on the Classic's specs, the Classic's being built of premium materials ( which OEMs don't waste on midrange devices) plus being designed for durability and the Classic being the Q10's successor, it's logical that the Classic, apart from the screen size and the tool belt, will have the Passport's specs. Oh and a newer version of Blackberry 10 of course!
    You're right, except you aren't.

The Classic is on the same platform as the Z10/Q10/Z30 (i.e. dual-core 8960). The absolute best it can be is Z30 spec, maybe with an extra GB of RAM. That's it.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    07-27-14 09:55 AM
    What makes you so certain I'm wrong? Do you have inside information? Source please!
    As I stated above ( and I stand by what I said) the Passport's coming first and we know what it's specs will be! Why should the Classic be inferior?
    Moreover the 3 devices you cite were released last year. Even the Z30 is 9 months old! That's an eternity in the mobile market and Blackberry has made it absolutely clear that they will be releasing competitive models.
    Blackberry has stated so far that the Classic will be a flagship, built of premium materials, will be durable and reliable, will be the Q10's successor, and that Chen is really looking forward to the Classic, even though he was announcing the Passport at the same time! And successor normally means superior specs...
    Finally, if you review pics of the Passport and Classic side by side, it quickly becomes clear that the 2 are remarkably similar in size. Go ahead, compare! You'll find the Classic is a bit more narrow.
    Yes I may be wrong ( though I don't think so, too much experience) , and if I am I'll admit it. Conversely if I'm correct, I reserve the right to say " I told you so! ". We'll see soon enough! Cheers!
    07-27-14 10:25 AM
    What makes you so certain I'm wrong? Do you have inside information? Source please!
    As I stated above ( and I stand by what I said) the Passport's coming first and we know what it's specs will be! Why should the Classic be inferior?
    Moreover the 3 devices you cite were released last year. Even the Z30 is 9 months old! That's an eternity in the mobile market and Blackberry has made it absolutely clear that they will be releasing competitive models.
    Blackberry has stated so far that the Classic will be a flagship, built of premium materials, will be durable and reliable, will be the Q10's successor, and that Chen is really looking forward to the Classic, even though he was announcing the Passport at the same time! And successor normally means superior specs...
    Finally, if you review pics of the Passport and Classic side by side, it quickly becomes clear that the 2 are remarkably similar in size. Go ahead, compare! You'll find the Classic is a bit more narrow.
    Yes I may be wrong ( though I don't think so, too much experience) , and if I am I'll admit it. Conversely if I'm correct, I reserve the right to say " I told you so! ". We'll see soon enough! Cheers!
    Myself and others have looked through 10.3 OS dumps (http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-names-828586/). The Classic and the Q10 share several hardware components (Bluetooth, graphics, WiFi, etc.), and use the same radio file. Since Passport (8974) and non-Passport (8960) software is wholly incompatible, the Classic therefore uses an 8960 processor.

And as for competitiveness, competitive to what? The Classic is aimed at people still on BBOS, so anything at all is competitive there.
    Rowan M and Deckard79 like this.
    07-27-14 10:32 AM
    You would be happy with 2012 specs???

Posted via CB10
    Yes, simply because I don't need a powerful smartphone for E-mail, browsing and taking photos. I don't play games only use for business so don't need a Quad Core processor with a Adreno 330 graphics
    07-27-14 10:49 AM
    I said the same thing!
    Bronze, have you ever heard of quoting the original message you're replying to? I'm just curious...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-27-14 11:30 AM
    Yes, simply because I don't need a powerful smartphone for E-mail, browsing and taking photos. I don't play games only use for business so don't need a Quad Core processor with a Adreno 330 graphics
    Never heard of future proofing? You know games are not the only thing that need good processor and graphics right? Heck, even for photos, a lot of what you see in the end result of photos is the result of the processor. I think most people think that the camera takes a photo and it is just saved as a jpg the way you see it directly. The truth is the image goes through the lens and data is collected with the sensor, that sensor collects a wide range of light data that doesn't all end up into the final processed photo. That data is then processed and rendered as the format you're saving. You can literally take the same sensor and lens and pair it with a better processor and software, and end up with better photos. Also, you'll improve burst mode speed and allow for a lot of other functions with a better cpu.

There are also plenty of other useful functions that are not games that use a lot of CPU and GPU, but what's even more important is what things might require in the near future that you might miss out on if you're lacking the power to do so. I always like to have something that is slightly overpowered. Since time moves forward and not backward, it doesn't make sense to prepare for the past...

07-27-14 11:40 AM
    Myself and others have looked through 10.3 OS dumps (http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-names-828586/). The Classic and the Q10 share several hardware components (Bluetooth, graphics, WiFi, etc.), and use the same radio file. Since Passport (8974) and non-Passport (8960) software is wholly incompatible, the Classic therefore uses an 8960 processor.

And as for competitiveness, competitive to what? The Classic is aimed at people still on BBOS, so anything at all is competitive there.
    This exactly.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 12:40 PM
    Competitive with other flagships of course!
    I checked the link you provided and I see nothing definitive. 1st it was published under News & Rumours. 2nd ofutur admits it's his interpretation based on OS files ; I know from experience that interpreting such files is tricky, he could easily be wrong. 3rd his information is based upon OS 10.2. 4th , the only other 8960 chips I saw in the list were the Q10, Z10 and Z30, all from last year. 5th conversely the only other 2014 flagship devices listed. Use the 8974 quad - core chip.
    Considering my other sources which seem more reliable , I'll go with what I said earlier. If you get hold of more definitive information on the Classic let me know thanks!
    07-27-14 03:11 PM
    Bronze, have you ever heard of quoting the original message you're replying to? I'm just curious...
    They can look it up.
    07-27-14 03:13 PM
    Competitive with other flagships of course!
    I checked the link you provided and I see nothing definitive. 1st it was published under News & Rumours. 2nd ofutur admits it's his interpretation based on OS files ; I know from experience that interpreting such files is tricky, he could easily be wrong. 3rd his information is based upon OS 10.2. 4th , the only other 8960 chips I saw in the list were the Q10, Z10 and Z30, all from last year. 5th conversely the only other 2014 flagship devices listed. Use the 8974 quad - core chip.
    Considering my other sources which seem more reliable , I'll go with what I said earlier. If you get hold of more definitive information on the Classic let me know thanks!
    Perhaps, but #3 is wrong. Classic info is definitely from 10.3, you can dump 10.3.0.700 yourself and find out.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 03:17 PM
    Perhaps, but #3 is wrong. Classic info is definitely from 10.3, you can dump 10.3.0.700 yourself and find out.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, I'll give you #3, but considering that 10.3.0.700 is a dev OS ( e.g. beta) I'd take any conclusions from it with a handful of salt! Besides 10.3 is what the Passport will be running, I believe Chen said the Classic will run 10.3.1.
    07-27-14 04:03 PM
    Ok, I'll give you #3, but considering that 10.3.0.700 is a dev OS ( e.g. beta) I'd take any conclusions from it with a handful of salt! Besides 10.3 is what the Passport will be running, I believe Chen said the Classic will run 10.3.1.
    10.3.0? 10.3.1 is for the first batch of BB10 devices (Z10, Q10, Z30, Q5, Z3)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PH - BlackBerry 10 - Z10 - deal with it
    07-27-14 05:23 PM
    10.3.0? 10.3.1 is for the first batch of BB10 devices (Z10, Q10, Z30, Q5, Z3)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

According to a 5/14/2014 Crackberry article by Adam Zeis , the Classic will ship with BlackBerry 10.3.1 and the other BlackBerry 10 devices will get it later via update. Cheers!
    CpE CKS likes this.
    07-27-14 07:25 PM
    According to a 5/14/2014 Crackberry article by Adam Zeis , the Classic will ship with BlackBerry 10.3.1 and the other BlackBerry 10 devices will get it later via update. Cheers!
    Thanks. That's a nice thing for the Classic. Having the updated OS on release. Will give you more feeling that the device is the newest.

Does that mean the passport will get the 10.3.1 update when Classic released?

07-31-14 10:48 AM
    Thanks. That's a nice thing for the Classic. Having the updated OS on release. Will give you more feeling that the device is the newest.

Does that mean the passport will get the 10.3.1 update when Classic released?

Yes it is nice, but more importantly it will be the newest! And I should think that the Passport will be updated after the Classic comes out!
    One reason why I think the Classic will have Passport level specs ( apart from screen size and tool belt, obviously! ) is the BB7 holdouts. They've already passed up the Q10 and yes, a large part of that is the Q10's lack of a tool belt, but I also think part of the reason is that BB7 to be honest isn't that much of a step back. I still use my old Torch 9810 on a daily basis even with my Q10 and the Torch is still quite capable eveb in 2014!
    My point here is that if Chen wants to recruit the holdouts as he stated, he must up the ante, give them a device so good they can't refuse and I don't think a Q10 with a tool belt will do it. OTOH a tool belt flagship device with Passport specs ( again, apart from screen size) would definitely do it I'm thinking !
    08-01-14 10:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well, if the rumored specs of the porsche design is right, then it looks like the data from 10.3 is not correct. I seem to remember people getting the specs of the Z3 wrong too when they were going by the OS data...

08-02-14 12:30 AM
    Will the Classic have a touch sensitive keyboard like the Passport? If not, why not?
    08-05-14 11:10 AM
    Will the Classic have a touch sensitive keyboard like the Passport? If not, why not?
    Because the target market would have heart attacks, given the reaction to everything else about the Passport.
    08-05-14 11:20 AM
    Because the target market would have heart attacks, given the reaction to everything else about the Passport.
    Um, actually, having touch features on the keyboard was an idea I had quite a while ago. Too bad I didn't patent it then, my friend remembered me talking about it years ago when they showed the passport with that feature. I am very much looking forward to getting the convenience of the hard buttons back, and also the trackpad, and would have liked to also have touch features on the keyboard, and high-end specs, I want it all dammit...

Mr4aces likes this.
    08-05-14 01:32 PM
    Um, actually, having touch features on the keyboard was an idea I had quite a while ago. Too bad I didn't patent it then, my friend remembered me talking about it years ago when they showed the passport with that feature. I am very much looking forward to getting the convenience of the hard buttons back, and also the trackpad, and would have liked to also have touch features on the keyboard, and high-end specs, I want it all dammit...

Perhaps, but the touch part of the Passport keyboard has two purposes: be a trackpad (which the Classic already has) and swipe for symbols (i.e. the heart attacks). Or, have a four row keyboard and get rid of the swipe for symbols, making it a fancy trackpad. Not much of a point there.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-06-14 06:52 PM
    Perhaps, but the touch part of the Passport keyboard has two purposes: be a trackpad (which the Classic already has) and swipe for symbols (i.e. the heart attacks). Or, have a four row keyboard and get rid of the swipe for symbols, making it a fancy trackpad. Not much of a point there.
    This is why I personally think BlackBerry intentionally gimped the hardware QWERTY. Keyboard. If they hadn't, the touch aspect of the keyboard would be nothing but a gimmick, such as the PS3 keyboard that has the same touch sensitive feature.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 08:29 PM
201 ... 56789