So after all this we still don't know what the specs are? Kill this thread.
    There's no harm in speculating. Once the specs are officially released, we can look back and see how many predictions were correct.
    jerryeight, neoberry99 and Mr4aces like this.
    07-08-14 01:05 PM
    Even if I'm not going to buy it, I would like to be reassured that the Classic will have a removable battery, meaning that BB does not seem to be taking the same downward spiral as others.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-08-14 01:40 PM
    The ppi talk was fun especially with Mr. Diagonal. Haha. Anyway, putting too much pixels is never easy and not the best thing to do. First of all, human eyes does not see pixels at 320+. Having more than that is unnecessary. And more pixels means more power consumption. Having more pixels sacrifice some display factor. Squishing too much pixels in a small device may suffer in contrast, something like that. And yes, Q series doesn't need to be monstrous in specs as it focuses on ease of use and reliability. A little better than Z30 will be good.

BlackBerry 10 - it takes courage to be one of the few
    07-08-14 05:56 PM
    I was hoping for a removable/replaceable battery also, but from the looks of the back panel, it doesn't seem that it is meant to slide open easily. There's no seam on it like there is on the Q10.

On the other hand, the Z30's back doesn't slide open either, but with care and patience, I hear you can pry the back off to get at the battery. So... time will tell with the Classic.

My favourite Q10 accessory is still the battery/charger bundle. It's ingenious, and I've never worried about having a dead battery since I bought it. I hope the Classic will have something comparable, but I'm not holding my breath.

Even if I'm not going to buy it, I would like to be reassured that the Classic will have a removable battery, meaning that BB does not seem to be taking the same downward spiral as others.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-08-14 10:30 PM
    There's no harm in speculating. Once the specs are officially released, we can look back and see how many predictions were correct.
    Sorry just my fustration coming out.
    07-09-14 01:17 AM
    You're... um... talking about an entirely different thing.

He was talking about ppi, pixel per inch. If you keep the same number of pixel but reduce the surface size, you'll end up with larger ppi.

It's not... as you say it... "easier" to "package more ppi on smaller diagonal". Sony's 30" screen needs vastly higher pixels to average to 580ppi as you request, around 3 to 4 times the pixels, maybe about 16k x 9k resolution. They'd need to use the same size of diodes to work

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    Hmm... I stumbled upon this pixel size calculator page recently.

Pixel size calculator

Based on the calculator, Passport is built using 56 micron sized pixels & 453 PPI.

So, it's possible that Classic has 1080 x 1080 screen resolution on 3.5" diagonal based on 58 micron sized pixel. That works out 436 PPI !

Contrast this with the retina display of 77 micron sized pixel on iPhone 5S.
    Last edited by mas.quemex; 07-09-14 at 05:25 AM.
    07-09-14 02:43 AM
    The ppi talk was fun especially with Mr. Diagonal...
    Don't you dare call me Mr Diagonal. Nevertheless you may call me Mr PPI.
    ;p
    07-09-14 02:46 AM
    Don't you dare call me Mr Diagonal. Nevertheless you may call me Mr PPI.
    ;p
    Don't ever... call me a thesaurus...

Once you see Guardians of the Galaxy you will laugh at this... :-D
    07-09-14 02:56 AM
    Sorry just my fustration coming out.
    No worries. You're not the only one who's a little impatient. I'd love to see the official specs about the Classic and Passport myself.
    07-09-14 07:04 AM
    The frustration us 99ers feel is that we've patiently waited 3 yrs for toolbelt device upgrade. Our 99s are feeling their age and we're trying to plan replacement. Tough to plan without info.
    wilber1 and Mr4aces like this.
    07-09-14 07:30 AM
    Hmm... I stumbled upon this pixel size calculator page recently.

Pixel size calculator

Based on the calculator, Passport is built using 56 micron sized pixels & 453 PPI.

So, it's possible that Classic has 1080 x 1080 screen resolution on 3.5" diagonal based on 58 micron sized pixel. That works out 436 PPI !

Contrast this with the retina display of 77 micron sized pixel on iPhone 5S.
    What? The discussion was about it getting 1440x1440, not 1080x1080. I don't see how it's relevant

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    07-09-14 08:21 PM
    What? The discussion was about it getting 1440x1440, not 1080x1080. I don't see how it's relevant

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    this discussion has been about speculation of the specs of the classic ur quoted poster is merely offering the opinion that they believe the classic will have 1080 x 1080 resolution at 436 ppi, to me its totally relevant and realistic

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    mas_quemex likes this.
    07-10-14 12:37 AM
    this discussion has been about speculation of the specs of the classic ur quoted poster is merely offering the opinion that they believe the classic will have 1080 x 1080 resolution at 436 ppi, to me its totally relevant and realistic

I would much rather it be 1080x1080 than 1440x1440. To me, the latter just sounds like overkill and might drive the price up for no noticeable benefit...
    mas_quemex and Mr4aces like this.
    07-10-14 12:57 AM

Trace back the posts. Context matters

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    07-10-14 01:40 AM
    Trace back the posts. Context matters

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    OP: "Does anyone know what the specs are for the classic? Like how many MP for the camera?"

Ok, so, stop talking about screens, we're only talking about cameras here guys... ;-)
    mas_quemex likes this.
    07-10-14 10:20 AM
    Suspect the screen resolution will likely be higher than 720*720.

Just a hunch, but since the Classic will come with 10.3.1 I would imagine the hardware to be closer in specification to the Passport than the original Q10 (which is a year and a half old).
    They cannot make the jump to 1440x1440 with that device, so there simply isn't any benefit to going beyond the existing 720x720 as they just add costs and fragment the qwerty range for negligible benefits.

I think your hunch will prove wrong, the main selling point of this device is the toolbelt which is probably the reason that it is coming on 10.3.1 rather than 10.3 more than anything else, this device also has to appeal to enterprise customers and they want a cost-effective device that will last the length of any contracts or warranties on it.

To be honest, I would not be at all surprised if this device is pretty much a q10 with a toolbelt, bigger display and bigger battery, that would provide a greater lower-end workhorse for their qwerty users and they have passport for those who want higher specs.
    07-12-14 01:58 PM
    They cannot make the jump to 1440x1440 with that device, so there simply isn't any benefit to going beyond the existing 720x720 as they just add costs and fragment the qwerty range for negligible benefits.

I think your hunch will prove wrong, the main selling point of this device is the toolbelt which is probably the reason that it is coming on 10.3.1 rather than 10.3 more than anything else, this device also has to appeal to enterprise customers and they want a cost-effective device that will last the length of any contracts or warranties on it.

To be honest, I would not be at all surprised if this device is pretty much a q10 with a toolbelt, bigger display and bigger battery, that would provide a greater lower-end workhorse for their qwerty users and they have passport for those who want higher specs.
    It would suck if that's the case, because then there is no option for those of us who want higher specs and a full keyboard...
    07-12-14 02:29 PM
    Let's not go too far down that road. No one (except those under an NDA) can sya what the specs will be untill we get an official statement (or reliable leaked info). No use getting hot under the collar until we know for sure.
    07-12-14 02:42 PM
    Guys, Blackberry said in its official announcement back at the MWC that the Classic ( Q20) would be crafted from premium materials and be built for reliability and durability. John Chen has repeated this a few times and also stated that he's looking forward to the Classic, even with the Passport...
    That doesn't sound like a midrange device to me. Given this, I suspect the rumours about the Classic having 1440 x 1440 screen are correct and I also suspect that the Classic will have the same specs as the Passport, other than screen size, obviously! Chen also stated that the Classic is the upgrade for the Q10 which lends credence to the Classic being a premium device theory.
    And for those who say that 580+ resolution is impossible, people said the same thing a few years ago about the Retina display. We all know how THAT turned out don't we? Cheers!
    07-23-14 01:06 AM
    Guys, Blackberry said in its official announcement back at the MWC that the Classic ( Q20) would be crafted from premium materials and be built for reliability and durability. John Chen has repeated this a few times and also stated that he's looking forward to the Classic, even with the Passport...
    That doesn't sound like a midrange device to me. Given this, I suspect the rumours about the Classic having 1440 x 1440 screen are correct and I also suspect that the Classic will have the same specs as the Passport, other than screen size, obviously! Chen also stated that the Classic is the upgrade for the Q10 which lends credence to the Classic being a premium device theory.
    And for those who say that 580+ resolution is impossible, people said the same thing a few years ago about the Retina display. We all know how THAT turned out don't we? Cheers!
    I appreciate your enthusiasm and your optimism, but unfortunately "premium materials" doesn't really mean technical specs. All that really means is that they will probably be using the same milled stainless steel frame/bezel as the Q10 instead of making it out of plastic like the Q5 or Z3...
    07-23-14 02:15 AM
    True, premium material don't necessarily indicate flagship specs, but in my experience OEMS don't use premium materials on midrange devices, nor do they invest time and materials on making midrange devices durable ( overly) and reliable.
    2nd, Chen stated he was looking forward to the Classic even though he was also announcing the Passport which we know will be a premium device. Plus Blackberry has been silent on the Classic's specs which seems a bit odd if said Classic is midrange. But if it's flagship class, the silence makes sense as BlackBerry wouldn't want to imperil Passport sales.
    3rd as I observed above Chen also said the Classic is the successor to the Q10, also a flagship. Not much point in upgrading unless the Classic offers better specs.
    I'm just following the evidence and making logical extrapolations from available data. And yes I may be wrong bur don't think so ; I've seen this too many times. We'll see. But if I'm correct, I reserve the right to say "I told you so! "
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    07-23-14 08:46 AM
    True, premium material don't necessarily indicate flagship specs, but in my experience OEMS don't use premium materials on midrange devices, nor do they invest time and materials on making midrange devices durable ( overly) and reliable.
    2nd, Chen stated he was looking forward to the Classic even though he was also announcing the Passport which we know will be a premium device. Plus Blackberry has been silent on the Classic's specs which seems a bit odd if said Classic is midrange. But if it's flagship class, the silence makes sense as BlackBerry wouldn't want to imperil Passport sales.
    3rd as I observed above Chen also said the Classic is the successor to the Q10, also a flagship. Not much point in upgrading unless the Classic offers better specs.
    I'm just following the evidence and making logical extrapolations from available data. And yes I may be wrong bur don't think so ; I've seen this too many times. We'll see. But if I'm correct, I reserve the right to say "I told you so! "
    Not really. I'm not saying it'll have better specs or not. I merely said that premium materials doesn't necessarily mean flagship specs. I'm pretty agnostic on it, I'm going to wait and see instead of assuming either way... So you can say "I told you so" if you want, but technically speaking I won't be wrong no matter what the specs turn out to be, lol. :-D

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-23-14 10:32 AM
    The frustration us 99ers feel is that we've patiently waited 3 yrs for toolbelt device upgrade. Our 99s are feeling their age and we're trying to plan replacement. Tough to plan without info.
    +1 Passport looks interesting, but also looks like a phonebook in some pics. The classic appears to be a more reasonable size, but Im not upgrading to underpowered. .
    07-23-14 05:56 PM
    If the Classic got released with these specs i would be happy

Screen Resolution: 720 x 720
    RAM: 2GB
    Processor: 1.7 GHz dual-core Krait 300
    Graphics Card: Adreno 306 GPU
    Battery: 2,500 mAh
    Camera: 8MP (Rear) 2MP (Front)
    WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n,
    phuoc likes this.
    07-24-14 08:51 AM
    What would make me buy a classic are the following :

- Display as good as Z10 or at least better than Q10.
    - battery capacity at least 2800 mAh
    - build at least as tough as a 9900. Very tight and sturdy
    - a good demo of the advantage of having a track pad + physical keyboard on BB10
    - antenna the same with Z30
    - and a reasonable price tag

PH - BlackBerry 10 - Z10 - deal with it
    phuoc and Evilguppy like this.
    07-24-14 10:16 AM
201 ... 34567 ...