Too much, obviously.

Posted via CB10
    Hahahahaha

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:48 PM
    Some forward leaning corporations will be looking toward the HDMI/slimport capabilities for presentations, training movies, virtual walk through's, etc... I just utilized my "old" Q to record a movie capturing machinery malfunction. The Q's processing ability reproduced the failure smoothly enough for us to see and identify the malfunction and lead to successful correction. If the capability is there, MOTIVATED employees will find a way to leverage it. It all starts with management style... don't get me started...
    Existing devices, as you have demonstrated, can handle this stuff beautifully.

There has to be a good balance between function and cost to appeal to large businesses that deploy a large number of devices. That's all I'm saying.

The target market for this device cannot afford, and will not pay for, bleeding edge specs.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    06-23-14 06:55 AM
    Existing devices, as you have demonstrated, can handle this stuff beautifully.

There has to be a good balance between function and cost to appeal to large businesses that deploy a large number of devices. That's all I'm saying.

The target market for this device cannot afford, and will not pay for, bleeding edge specs.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Hmm, well, you might have a point depending on precisely which target they're aiming at. I certainly have no insight into BBRY's decisions other than what's been popularly reported. My company might not necessarily be a representative case. What i do know is that after convincing management to purchase 26 devices for my office alone, there's NO way i'll want to go back to them very soon to purchase better devices later because we didn't look far enough into the future. In addition to the cost of upgrading devices is the cost of deployment and inevitable learning curves. The 9900 was quite expensive and pretty darned bleeding edge, 3yrs ago. For BlackBerry, anyway. It was, and still is, quite popular in enterprise environments. Paying the extra price for that device was financially smart, long run. For forward leaning corporations, anyway.
    Jake Storm, JGoodard and acovey like this.
    06-23-14 07:26 AM
    Classic IMHO is to convert legacy BES customer to BES10. And cost will play a part maybe big part.
    If it gets lifeline, maybe BBRY will come up with better speced classic

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 07:52 AM
    Classic IMHO is to convert legacy BES customer to BES10. And cost will play a part maybe big part.
    If it gets lifeline, maybe BBRY will come up with better speced classic

Posted via CB10
    True, price always plays a role. Especially for consumers. If price is corporate management's only criteria, they'd already be using $99 droids of some flavor. The only thing more important than price, to corporate management, is productivity. If the new device doesn't promise to improve productivity, rational corporate management will just stick with the devices they have. Regardless of price. Even if the device is FREE, deployment and learning curves impact productivity. If the goal is to sell new devices to old customers, that new device will need attractive specs. IMO. Of course, Mr. Chen hasn't called asking my opinion lately so...
    06-23-14 08:16 AM
    Maybe JC wanted to use classic specs too lols. So that it would definitely carry the name "Classic"

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 10:13 AM
    Hmm, well, you might have a point depending on precisely which target they're aiming at. I certainly have no insight into BBRY's decisions other than what's been popularly reported. My company might not necessarily be a representative case. What i do know is that after convincing management to purchase 26 devices for my office alone, there's NO way i'll want to go back to them very soon to purchase better devices later because we didn't look far enough into the future. In addition to the cost of upgrading devices is the cost of deployment and inevitable learning curves. The 9900 was quite expensive and pretty darned bleeding edge, 3yrs ago. For BlackBerry, anyway. It was, and still is, quite popular in enterprise environments. Paying the extra price for that device was financially smart, long run. For forward leaning corporations, anyway.
    Actually, at the time of its release, people complained that the 9900 was waaaay behind the competition in terms of specs. Although it was the top of the line BlackBerry, it was mid-range at best compared to other stuff out there.

Which actually proves my point. The 9900 has done very well for a long time in its role.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Legal Eagle and JGoodard like this.
    06-23-14 10:40 AM
    Classic is supposed to be a mid tier device with specs of q10.The beefed up specs is for the flagship passport. Difference is it will launch with 10.3.1 it seems

Not to mention classic will be cheaper in price to passport.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    06-23-14 11:10 AM
    Actually, at the time of its release, people complained that the 9900 was waaaay behind the competition in terms of specs. Although it was the top of the line BlackBerry, it was mid-range at best compared to other stuff out there.

Which actually proves my point. The 9900 has done very well for a long time in its role.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Why would the same corporate bean counters that paid TOP dollar for BB's best three years ago balk at paying virtually the same top dollar for BB's best now? The corporate managers i know think long term. They'd rather buy BB's best today and hang on to it another three years, or longer, before enduring another transition. Disruption of productivity is FAR more expensive than paying a $100 more for a future proofed device.

But then, I look at Heinz's corporate philosophy and have to agree that not all corporate managers understand where they came from and therefore lack level vision about where they're going. So... maybe Chen's strategy is as you conjecture. JC can only work with what he inherited. We'll know in November...
    06-23-14 11:51 AM
    It will be plenty future proof for corporate needs.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Then just keep the 9900. I hear BlackBerry is still selling them for top dollar.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:59 PM
    Guys, it does not matter what internal specs the Classic will have.

It will not be future proof because the lithium ion battery is non user replaceable. When the battery fails to last a day 18 months later, the battery replacement cost in bulk would be too much to justify.

All in all, BlackBerry failed by going with the sealed battery design and sealed battery will seriously hurt the possible life span of the device MORE SO than a less than fast CPU would.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    06-23-14 10:14 PM
    ...the lithium ion battery is non user replaceable....
    Source?
    You state that as a fact, but you are merely guessing.
    06-23-14 10:19 PM
    Source?
    If it's anything like the Q5 or Z30, it'll be held in by the tightness of the housing, not by gobs of glue like on an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 10:21 PM
    True, price always plays a role. Especially for consumers. If price is corporate management's only criteria, they'd already be using $99 droids of some flavor. The only thing more important than price, to corporate management, is productivity. If the new device doesn't promise to improve productivity, rational corporate management will just stick with the devices they have. Regardless of price. Even if the device is FREE, deployment and learning curves impact productivity. If the goal is to sell new devices to old customers, that new device will need attractive specs. IMO. Of course, Mr. Chen hasn't called asking my opinion lately so...
    How much do you think the spec obsessed customer oriented reviews will influence enterprise decision makers? The argument of productivity comes with better specs is flawed. It is OS and remember the Classic is to ease the pains of BES transition in terms of shorter learning curve with BlackBerry Belt.
    And of course that will also depends upon, how BBRY will push in terms of package deal in legacy BES to BES10/12 migration.
    06-24-14 12:03 AM
    If it's anything like the Q5 or Z30, it'll be held in by the tightness of the housing, not by gobs of glue like on an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Sealed battery whether glued or not requires specific tools as well as disassembly expertise for battery removal.

Also, since you have to disassemble the entire phone then reassemble, there is a higher chance of "reassembling wrong" and run into issues like you see often here on Crackberry forum.

Ultimately, it is the extra cost and time for battery replacement that companies just cannot bother with, which is why the Classic will be just another 18 month device because of the battery losing charge, no matter how futuristic the internal specs are.

For enterprise phones, removable batteries are a MUST. Your quad core 64 bit processor is irrelevant if the battery of the phone is bust. As simple as that.

Source?
    Of course, it is not confirmed. However, considering that Blackberry's two of the latest release (Q5 and Z30) have both non user replaceable batteries, it is likely that the Classic will feature non replaceable battery as well.

I do hope that I am wrong and that the Classic comes with removable battery.
    06-24-14 12:09 AM
    How much do you think the spec obsessed customer oriented reviews will influence enterprise decision makers? The argument of productivity comes with better specs is flawed. It is OS and remember the Classic is to ease the pains of BES transition in terms of shorter learning curve with BlackBerry Belt.
    And of course that will also depends upon, how BBRY will push in terms of package deal in legacy BES to BES10/12 migration.
    I think we mostly agree but seem to be talking past each other. These discussions are likely at fevered pitch at BBRY, also. Getting this right might be critical to bbry's survival.

As you've pointed out, the importance of specs to enterprises clinging to tool belt devices is secondary to the importance they place on the belt itself. I submit that the price of the device is also secondary to the importance they place on the belt itself.

The term "enterprise" covers a pretty broad spectrum of varying missions. If bbry focuses too narrowly, they'll miss significant market opportunities.
    06-24-14 07:40 AM
    As far as I am concerned, I would like nice screen, 2+ gigs of RAM, 16+ gigs of internal storage, nice 13 MP snapper, and juicy battery capable of long texting, calling, and networking sessions.

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai and acovey like this.
    06-24-14 03:07 PM
    Classic for me. Android, iPhone been there, done that. It's always been about BlackBerry and what they have coming out next. Great to see the tool belt back with qwerty board, makes cell life so much simpler. Great job BlackBerry!
    phuoc and acovey like this.
    06-25-14 01:54 AM
    Want the biggest baddest battery to ever have been invented. I don't care if I have to cart my phone in a wheel barrel.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3175 / T-Mobile USA
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-25-14 07:29 AM
    I do not really care that much about a high res screen. ( otherwise I wouldn't buy this q10)

But I actually do care about the innerparts! A great quadcore should do fine. Something like de snapdragon 800+, adreno 330 and 3g ram.

Sell something like that and I will buy!

Posted via CB10
    syah iejam likes this.
    06-27-14 05:03 PM
    Sealed battery whether glued or not requires specific tools as well as disassembly expertise for battery removal.

Also, since you have to disassemble the entire phone then reassemble, there is a higher chance of "reassembling wrong" and run into issues like you see often here on Crackberry forum.

Ultimately, it is the extra cost and time for battery replacement that companies just cannot bother with, which is why the Classic will be just another 18 month device because of the battery losing charge, no matter how futuristic the internal specs are.

For enterprise phones, removable batteries are a MUST. Your quad core 64 bit processor is irrelevant if the battery of the phone is bust. As simple as that.

Of course, it is not confirmed. However, considering that Blackberry's two of the latest release (Q5 and Z30) have both non user replaceable batteries, it is likely that the Classic will feature non replaceable battery as well.

I do hope that I am wrong and that the Classic comes with removable battery.
    wouldn't be much of a classic without a removable battery. I'll be sticking with my Q if the classic is non replaceable.

Posted via CB/Q10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    06-27-14 11:41 PM
    Signs point to Q10 specs. Nothing concrete yet.

Posted via CB10
    No way! Dear god I hope the hell not Why would they do that?
    06-28-14 02:23 AM
    [WARN]Time to take a step back andf cool off. Stay on topic (possible "specs of the Classic"). No bickering or personal comments, please.[/WARN]
    06-28-14 11:14 AM
    I doubt it'll have q10 specs. JC will be torn to shreds if the Classic doesn't have upgraded specifications.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 05:30 PM
    I doubt it'll have q10 specs. JC will be torn to shreds if the Classic doesn't have upgraded specifications.

Posted via CB10
    Compared to the Bold 9900 it's intending to replace, it's still miles ahead. It's a BlackBerry, it has a keyboard, it has a trackpad and it's not on the way out, and that's what matters to enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 06:36 PM
201 12345 ...