Hello, all. I've asked this question before in Quick Questions, but thought I'd try this forum. Hoping someone can help me.

Got a Classic 7 days ago - switching from a much-loved 9320, having got fed up of chequer-boarding and constant charging - ironically, in view of my question.

Love most things about the Classic, which I got off EBay - but the battery is going from full charge to near-zero in about four hours! The handset also gets very warm.

I've done all the classic (!) battery-saving things: wifi off, brightness right down, no volume, time-out short, apps all closed, bluetooth & NFC off. I've also looked at all the forum answers I can find and followed all the tips, including a security wipe & waiting to see if things improved before reloading my data. Only using email and text messages, with very occasional browsing.

The culprit is the system - it's using the CPU between 52% and 60%. I think I may've spotted the problem: on Settings: Data Management, the Mobile Data Usage section just scrolls constantly, not loading anything. Thing is - what can I do about this?

The phone has clearly been dropped - there's a very, very tiny amount of damage to the screen on the right - but otherwise works perfectly.

I thought BBM, which I never use, might be the problem but, as you'll know, it can't be uninstalled. I'm aware of Sachesi, and will give it a go if people think it'll help, but I do think that I have found the problem with the constant scrolling I mention above.

I also have a Playbook (which does everything I want of it, beautifully), and had a similar problem with that - which I eventually worked out was the wifi constantly scanning for available networks; switching to Saved Networks solved that one. Could it be the same here? I've noticed that when I do have the wifi connected at home, it still scrolls every now and then, but not for long; I can't find any way to stop this.

Sorry for the longevity, but I really don't want to have to send this phone back and start all over again, so would really appreciate any help you wise people can offer.

Thanks,
    03-13-15 04:46 AM
    Can you show your mobile network settings ?
    03-13-15 04:51 AM
    have you logged into BBM? i don't know if this is still a problem but in the past leaving BBM unregistered or never logged-in at least once, could cause the system run very high.
    03-13-15 07:11 AM
    I had an issue lie this on my 9900. Seems like I had two os installed. What I did was go onto bblink and reset factory system. It wipes the phone and reinstalls the os. Make sure to back up your phone first.
    03-13-15 07:57 AM
    It seems like you haven't done Security Wipe yet. Try that first, then report to us how things went.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-13-15 08:01 AM
    I agree. Wipe the thing but backup first. Don't restore any settings.
    03-13-15 08:04 AM
    have you logged into BBM? i don't know if this is still a problem but in the past leaving BBM unregistered or never logged-in at least once, could cause the system run very high.
    Thank you, interesting. I've never, ever used it, so perhaps that might be worth a try, though I'd rather not touch it as I eally don't need or want BBM.
    03-13-15 08:49 AM
    I had an issue lie this on my 9900. Seems like I had two os installed. What I did was go onto bblink and reset factory system. It wipes the phone and reinstalls the os. Make sure to back up your phone first.
    Thanks. I have done a security wipe, and back up & restore. No joy....
    03-13-15 08:49 AM
    I agree. Wipe the thing but backup first. Don't restore any settings.
    Thanks. I have done a security wipe, and back up & restore. No joy....
    03-13-15 08:50 AM
    Did reply to this, but it's not showing. I don't really want to touch BBM, as I have never used it and never plan to, but I did wonder if that might be the case. I do know I have this scrolling & not loading issue on the Mobile Data Usage section of the Device Monitor, though, but no one has been able to offer any advice as to how I can stop this.
    03-13-15 08:52 AM
    Install an autoloader or I guess you're going to have to figure it out yourself.
    03-13-15 09:07 AM
    I don't think it's back up and simple restore what you just backed up. I think it's ,look for the tab that says factory reset.
    03-13-15 09:25 AM
    Facebook app is the devil. If you use it I suggest you delete and use the browser.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 09:46 AM
    Thanks all for the replies. If it is the Mobile Data Usage screen constantly scrolling that's causing the problem, I can't think of any other way of stopping it apart from perhaps loading an older version of the OS; anyone know if this is possible and, if so, how I would go about it?

Also, don't suppose there's anyone reading this running a Classsic in the UK on Vadafone Pay As You Go? Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?
    03-13-15 12:14 PM
    Install an autoloader or I guess you're going to have to figure it out yourself.
    Sounds interesting - what is an autoloader, & what would it be autoloading, please?
    03-13-15 12:15 PM
    I don't think it's back up and simple restore what you just backed up. I think it's ,look for the tab that says factory reset.
    No, I backed it up, hit Restore Factory Settings, left it alone for a while to see if the battery usage improved and, when it didn't, restored my data.
    03-13-15 12:17 PM
    Sounds interesting - what is an autoloader, & what would it be autoloading, please?
    It installs an OS but will delete everything.
    03-13-15 12:31 PM
    Place the phone in airplane mode for 5-10 minutes. After that leave it in airplane mode and perform a hard restart (hold the volume buttons down until the phone reboots). Let the phone come back and wait 5 mins then take out of airplane mode. See if that helps.
    03-13-15 12:55 PM
    Had a similar problem with my Z30 after an upgrade. Tried everything, no luck. Finally solved the problem by removing my SD Card. There were some corrupted files that I believe was preventing the OS from completing indexing the contents. Fixed the files, performance went back to normal overnight.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 03:04 PM
    Someone also mentioned that skipping the tutorial in the beginning shortens the battery life because it stays endlessly in the background.

Edit: found it!

I bought two Classics from AT&T 9 days ago.

My daughter's phone has had excellent battery life from day 1. When it's idle, the battery curve flatlines and it will standby for days.

My wife's phone kept draining like a madman, with System being the top offender in the battery drain stats. I tried hard resets, disabling diagnostics, tweaking settings in apps, etc, but nothing improved the situation.

On a hunch, I opened the browser and typed oobe:// into the address bar and hit go. This launched the end of setup "gestures" tutorial. After completing that, her battery life has improved considerably. Battery drain curve flatlined during idle times and is now predicting 22hr remaining (near 99% charged) rather than 5 - 6 hr.

I doubt this will work for everyone, but I thought it was worth sharing. Best of luck!

Update: we just got 24 hr worth of fairly heavy usage after charging to 100%, ending at 10% charge. My wife is elated =D
    03-13-15 06:50 PM
    Someone also mentioned that skipping the tutorial in the beginning shortens the battery life because it stays endlessly in the background.

Edit: found it!
    Thank you - I had tried this, but no joy.
    03-16-15 09:57 AM
    Had a similar problem with my Z30 after an upgrade. Tried everything, no luck. Finally solved the problem by removing my SD Card. There were some corrupted files that I believe was preventing the OS from completing indexing the contents. Fixed the files, performance went back to normal overnight.

Posted via CB10
    You, Sir or Madam, are a LIFESAVER! Took the SD card out, CPU usage plummeted, battery is a different beast. One further question, if you don't mind - you mention fixing the files; how did you do that, please?
    chflower likes this.
    03-16-15 09:59 AM
    Try copying them to your computer. Format the SD card in the phone and then copy the files back to the card.
    03-16-15 10:02 AM
    You, Sir or Madam, are a LIFESAVER! Took the SD card out, CPU usage plummeted, battery is a different beast. One further question, if you don't mind - you mention fixing the files; how did you do that, please?
    I love it when people post what solution worked out for them. Thanks!

Relevant comic that probably everyone has already seen: xkcd: Wisdom of the Ancients
    03-16-15 04:12 PM
    Hey, glad it worked!

In the end I had to reformat my SD Card and reload all my files. I think there was a bad sector on the card that needed to be flagged and removed from use.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 04:43 PM