I'm currently using a 9900 and I'm not familiar with BB10, so pardon my ignorance, but I have some noob questions about the Classic in comparison to the 9900:

1. Does Classic use compressed data, just like the 9900?

2. Does Classic have push email just like 9900?

3. Does Classic has the ability to store eMail on the device rather than the cloud?

4. If you open the hub, does that mean that you see all your sent/received massages of all your eMail accounts + possibly voice mail massages?

Thanks in advance.
    10-28-14 12:05 PM

That's a Legacy OS/BIS feature. No BlackBerry 10 device needs BIS to work, and even if you use your BIS plan, it won't take advntage of the compression.

Yes. All BlackBerry 10 devices do. They use ActiveSync for this.

3. Does Classic has the ability to store eMail on the device rather than the cloud?

Yes. All smartphones do this...

4. If you open the hub, does that mean that you see all your sent/received massages of all your eMail accounts + possibly voice mail massages?

You do. You see all accounts (mail+social), IMs, app notification, calls (inbound, outbound and missed) as well as voice messages. Some carriers even have visual voice mail support.

Thanks in advance.
    If you allow me to comment... it's a BlackBerry! Why should you be concerned the newer OS can't do the things the old OS could?

99% of the time, BB10 is better than BBOS. You shouldd have no problems whatsoever!
    10-28-14 12:13 PM
    No, BB10 does not use BIS to compress data, it uses the same data plan as an android/iOS device.

Push email will work depending on your email provider. Most of the time, yes, but sometimes no. It's a case by case basis but any of the large email providers support exchange and active synch, so you'll be fine there.

Yes it does store on both device and server and you can choose to delete from one or both.

You can also read them and look through while offline. Keep in mind to reply and do a remote search of your inbox will need to be online.

And finally the hub is fantastic, you can see all your emails, text messages, missed calls, social media, etc.
    You can choose to see these all together, or filter and separate them how you like.

Via passport
    10-28-14 04:33 PM
    Perfect. Thanks for all the good news answers!!!

So, I can't wait to get a Classic. My contract with AT&T is running out by the end of this year. So perfect.

BTW, I'm one of those people who is absolutely happy with the productivity of the 9900. It does everything I ever wanted and even more, right out of the box.

So I think as long as the above characeristics are met, the classic will be a great phone for me. I don't care about specs. Keyboard, tackpad, copy/paste, off-line email are the kind of details I'm looking for in a phone.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-28-14 04:39 PM
    So I think as long as the above characeristics are met, the classic will be a great phone for me. I don't care about specs. Keyboard, tackpad, copy/paste, off-line email are the kind of details I'm looking for in a phone.
    So then you'll love the classic

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    10-28-14 05:00 PM
    Push email will work depending on your email provider. Most of the time, yes, but sometimes no. It's a case by case basis but any of the large email providers support exchange and active synch, so you'll be fine there.
    It will push for Gmail, Outlook.com/Hotmail, Yahoo!,any IMAP service and MS Exchange Server accounts. So pretty much everything gets pushed.
    10-28-14 05:36 PM
    So is this the same type of ActivSync that the Apple and Android are using or does Blackberry do something better, has it's own etc.?

Reason for asking because my work phone (Galaxy II) has some serious eMail lag issues.
    10-28-14 06:27 PM
    Oh well. Maybe not so great then?

At least on my work Android I had eMail delays of way over 10 minutes, maybe even as much as 20 minutes.
    10-28-14 07:22 PM

At least on my work Android I had eMail delays of way over 10 minutes, maybe even as much as 20 minutes.
    My email on outlook arrive on my phone immediately. I know because sometimes I email myself and it's literally right when I click send I hear my phone go off...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-28-14 07:45 PM

I don't know what the difference is but on my BlackBerry I usually get the emails within 10 seconds and on my iPhones and androids It would take closer to a minute

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    10-28-14 07:56 PM
    Your email account at Outlook.com? (Microsoft's free email service, which uses ActiveSync)

Or do you just mean your email account (from another email service provider, like Yahoo or whatever) which you pull on your computer into Outlook on your PC, and that same email account you pull into your phone too? In that case, sounds like that email service provider also supports ActiveSync.
    No, it's an @outlook.com address. Yahoo is garbage, I have a yahoo account that I've had since a long time ago, so there's just too much on there to get rid of, so I'm kind of forced to use it... I wish I can fully migrate to outlook...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-28-14 08:52 PM

The PlayBook has proved that either ActiveSync is as good for push as BIS is... Or BlackBerry's software manages to make ActiveSync as good as BIS is.
    10-28-14 09:14 PM
    Ton's of good info. Thanks.

So how does gMail (which I'm using) compare to Outlook.Com

Are there any fast other ActiveSync eMail providers?

How fast is the @Blackberry eMail account and does it use ActiveSync too?
    Also, can you set up Outlook.Com in a way that eMail is stored on the device and when deletion of eMail is desired, it can be done separately (from device only) and/or from both (device + Outlook cloud)?
    10-28-14 09:59 PM

It has better spam control and advanced filters. Same otherwise.

They are pretty much the same, and don't forget IMAP is out there and it's not ActiveSync (gmail is IMAP for example). Pushes just the same.

Forget that, you won't be using that without BIS. That was never meant to be used as true email account anyway. It was just a forwarder for people without an MS Exchange Server back when mobile data was young.

Also, can you set up Outlook.Com in a way that eMail is stored on the device and when deletion of eMail is desired, it can be done separately (from device only) and/or from both (device + Outlook cloud)?

Yeah, BB10 does that. Selecet how to handle deletion or have it ask you every single time.
    /bb10char
    10-28-14 10:24 PM
    I'm currently using a 9900 and I'm not familiar with BB10, so pardon my ignorance, but I have some noob questions about the Classic in comparison to the 9900:

Thanks in advance.
    -1 YES +
    -2 YES +
    -3 YES+
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 10:28 PM
    Thanks much.

I want my Classic.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-28-14 11:04 PM

You'll have to say goodbye to your @blackberry email account, BB10 doesn't support it.
    10-29-14 11:33 AM