It's become inescapably obvious that there are two very distinct and strong camps with users of the Q-series: those that enjoy a toolbelt-less life and those that can't possibly stand it. Although I'm currently using and loving my Q10, I honestly could not care less if they do or do not include one in the next non-sidegrade iteration of the Q, as long as the function and flow of a gesture-based OS 10.x is not addled or scaled back as a result.

So let's all agree that some people love the Q10 and some people don't. I totally get it. And I think we're all starting to get it as a community as well. It is what it is.

The concern/question I have, however, is this: now that BlackBerry is clearly shifting focus back to its enterprise edge, does this mean that the toolbelt-less QWERTY is a thing of the past? I wonder, actually, if the Q5 was the last of the Curve-esque keyboard and entry-level segment offerings. I also wonder if the Q10 was the last non-toolbelt QWERTY devices. It would not be feasible for them to continue evolving the Q5, Q10, Classic, and Passport each as individual lines. I'd imagine they'd pare it down to perhaps two offerings in their QWERTY series.

So, what do we think:

Q5: First and last of the Curve keyboard and segment offering?
    Q10: The last consumer/enterprise hybrid toolbelt-less device?
    Classic: A sign of BlackBerry's return to roots and the original QWERTY user paradigm?
    Passport: Just a one-off "unconventional device" for 2014? Or is it potentially the first in this Work Wide series?

I know there's some speculation that next year's "unconventional device" might be a Torch concept, but it would seem awfully out-of-place in the new streamlined and focused strategy of BlackBerry's enterprise strengths, so I'd think it's safe to assume that both "Curve" and "Torch" paradigms are eighty-six'd. Any differing opinions?
    myfiremanishuge likes this.
    11-11-14 02:18 AM
    Interesting thoughts right here. At this time, I think it is very difficult to predict the strategy BlackBerry will try to implement in terms of hardware, though I would say that it will be clearly targeted at a business audience.

As for the toolbelt, that might also depend on how the Classic will sell. I personally like my Q10 a lot but I am also looking forward to the Classic. If I have the choice, I'd prefer a toolbelt as, to me, it only adds to the user experience.
    I think when we look at enterprise customers holding on to the 9900 or even older devices, the Classic might be a good solution. Also since we are going to see a new BES version too, and BB10 has matured as a whole. So in conclusion, I do see a good chance for the device to succeed.

Q5:
    I don't see anything close to that device being released anytime soon. It seems to be too much out of scope at the moment.

Passport:
    The Passport has been the one device for BlackBerry this year. It has attracted a lot of publicity and even the media has reacted quite positively to the device. It seems to sell really well too, so I don't think this line will be abandoned.

At the end of the day, BlackBerry devices have I very long life span, so they have to be innovative in some way in order to sell new devices. Enterprise users, unlike consumers, don't switch their business phones that frequently.
    acovey likes this.
    11-11-14 02:47 AM
    I think the curve-esque Q5 and Q10 lines will be coming to an end. The Classic is going to be the new "entry" level device for most markets. Then you will have the Passport line which takes over where the Q10 left off. Then there will be Visa/Victoria as the hybrid of physical keyboard and full touch screen and then there will be a Z30 replacement in mid-late 2015. So that will put their portfolio at 4 active devices.

The Passport is the "unconventional device" for 2014 but I think it's been stated that the Passport line will continue. Remember that Chen said that they will release one unconventional device per year. The next device is the Visa/Victoria that will be shown off at MWC 2015.
    11-11-14 09:25 AM
    for all people who think a toolbelt is a waste of screenspace or think that it will interrupt their 'flow':
    look at the Q5's black bar between the screen and the kb... does this space interrupt a Q5 owners workflow?
    My answer to this is NO

just my 2cents

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    11-11-14 09:34 AM
    I see the Passport somewhat as the successor to the Q10. They both have this hybrid keyboard/touch interface, whereas the Classic would likely be operated by the belt more than by touchscreen. I think that the Classic is the true successor to the Bold, with the Q10 being a kind of proto-passport, if that makes any sense.

The true Q10 successor should be a Passport Mini, imo.

From a Z30
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    11-11-14 09:35 AM
    Passport 2 has already been confirmed to be in the works by Chen, so it definitely wasn't a one-off...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-11-14 09:49 AM
    I think Blackberry took all the comments about the problems that people had mention about Q10 and created the Passport. It will be interesting to see what the Passport 2 is going to look like next year. I believe that the Classic focus is to replace all the legacy BBOS devices, curves and bolds.
    11-11-14 09:56 AM
    I think Blackberry took all the comments about the problems that people had mention about Q10 and created the Passport. It will be interesting to see what the Passport 2 is going to look like next year. I believe that the Classic focus is to replace all the legacy BBOS devices, curves and bolds.
    Well, first of all, the Passport was in the works before Chen took over, and secondly I don't think any Q10 owner was like "Man, I wish the phone was much wider and have a 3-row keyboard." The Passport was made as an "unconventional" device that most people would not have thought of. Basically introducing a product that nobody knew they might want or need. It's a gamble but it appears to be doing OK. If anything, complaints about the Q10 led to the Classic...

11-11-14 12:39 PM
    How they will follow up the Passport I haven't the slightest clue, however I believe upcoming OS builds will further implement the toolbelt. It seems to me as long as Chen is CEO, toolbelts will be a part of BlackBerry hardware.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 09:56 PM
    How they will follow up the Passport I haven't the slightest clue, however I believe upcoming OS builds will further implement the toolbelt. It seems to me as long as Chen is CEO, toolbelts will be a part of BlackBerry hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Chen is trying to show people who are still doubtful that the toolbelt is apart of BlackBerry's DNA in phone design. Not every device they offer will have it but at least one will to keep it alive and theres obviously a demand for it.
    11-11-14 11:45 PM
    The thing about the classic tho is that it is going to be bigger than the q10. I think it looks to be around the z10 size, not entirely that bad but I'm not sure about it.

I know the trend is larger phones but I never enjoyed carrying the z30 around, no matter how long I had it for, i never got used to it or rather, I never accepted it's size.

Zed's Red
    11-12-14 01:12 AM
    Passport 2 has already been confirmed to be in the works by Chen, so it definitely wasn't a one-off...

...as is classic 2! I hope it's gonna sport a rectangular screen (like Z10) with a 4-row-keyboard and a software-wise integrated, optional toolbelt, just like the one in the app "track pad editor" (you've got to check it out at BlackBerry World, it's awesome).
    That would really be the best of both worlds (like they advertised for the bold 9900)!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    11-12-14 10:06 AM
    strategically, it was someone elses project , so the newer management teams will typically drop something that was someone elses baby unless it was a roaring success. The Q10 was definitely not that, and Chen has clearly shown he believes BlackBerries previous steps forwards (i.e. Q10, no trackpad or toolbelt) were steps back, and he has corrected this with models that play to BlackBerryies recognised strenghts. Personally I think he's right, but only time will prove it.
    11-12-14 12:16 PM
    I think Mr. Chen did say there would be a Passport and Classic sequel + another more innovative device.
    My guess is the Q10 will become a slider phone with slightly bigger screen real estate than the classic (let say between 3.5" and 4").
    This hybrid phone would cover both Z10 and Q10 iteration with a compromise for each: less tall than a Z10 and a Q10 like PKB but a retractable one.
    That would make sense as he isn't a big fan of full touch devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 12:22 PM
    ...as is classic 2! I hope it's gonna sport a rectangular screen (like Z10) with a 4-row-keyboard and a software-wise integrated, optional toolbelt, just like the one in the app "track pad editor" (you've got to check it out at BlackBerry World, it's awesome).
    That would really be the best of both worlds (like they advertised for the bold 9900)!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    HELL NO to a software toolbelt. That defeats the purpose of it. I want the hardware call send and call end keys that can be pressed regardless of the state of the screen, on or off... There's a reason for that. Hang up a call while the screen is off (if using speakerphone) without the need to wake it up, unlock it, or navigate out of apps, etc...

11-12-14 12:59 PM
    The thing about the classic tho is that it is going to be bigger than the q10. I think it looks to be around the z10 size, not entirely that bad but I'm not sure about it.

I know the trend is larger phones but I never enjoyed carrying the z30 around, no matter how long I had it for, i never got used to it or rather, I never accepted it's size.

Zed's Red
    Exactly why I think the next Q iteration should remain as close as possible to Q10's format.
    The thing is : how big a screen can be in a Q10 dimensions if we make a retractable slider keyboard?
    Could it be a 4" in 16/9 format?
    I'd love to see Pootermobile and Dylanhabirkirk give their version of the Visa (if it is the one we saw in patent with the retractable keyboard).

But instead of the >5" screen like this one
    Attachment 313925

I'd love to see some mockup based on a more handy Q10 -ish like this one:
    http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content...ard-patent.jpg
    Last edited by BroncoVAL; 11-12-14 at 04:40 PM.
    11-12-14 01:49 PM