Hi all...my classic had an update to the above software today...had a look online and can't really find what the new features are....although some users have mentioned google play android apps working quicker. I seem to be experiencing that too...apps like flipboard were unusable before..but now are rapid.

Has anyone else noticed this...

Also does anyone no if it's ok to update apps installed from Google play store? I have several waiting for updates...but don't want to incase they stop working.

Cheers
    Tom

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 03:33 PM
    Also does anyone no if it's ok to update apps installed from Google play store? I have several waiting for updates...but don't want to incase they stop working.
    If those apps are working well for you, I would NOT update them unless you have a copy of the older .apk that you can revert back to. As time goes on, more and more of those apps are requiring google play services which CAN render them useless on your device. I have the luxury of having a spare z10 and can try them out. At the very least you should visit the Google Play Store and read the app update description to see if anything is listed as requirement change. Sadly, most updates will not give you too much info on this though.
    01-12-16 03:43 PM
    If those apps are working well for you, I would NOT update them
    +1

If it's working, why risk it?
    What benefits are there to updating them?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 08:46 PM
    Hi all...my classic had an update to the above software today...

Cheers
    Tom

Posted via CB10
    Can I ask who your carrier is, Tom? I have Verizon and still haven't seen the update yet.
    01-12-16 09:41 PM
    I'm in the UK I'm on ee but it's an unlocked classic. I'm definitely noticing android apps work quicker. Theres a much longer thread about this on the OS forum page.

Most people say the same but also that you can't delete google play installed apps....i.e. You can long press the app and delete it but when you go to google play store it still shows as installed...not really too sire what that means lol

Tom

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 01:04 AM
    Benefit of this update was mentioned in beginning of December among several "early adopters" here on CB...

Ok here we go again:
    WiFi and Radio signals are significant better than with the previous version, VPN working much better in conjunction, less drop-outs of WiFi (almost eliminated)
    Overall a good polished all around update.

Running sweet as xmas cookies, crisp and charming.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    01-13-16 04:54 AM
    Is this going out to unlocked first....carriers later?

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    01-13-16 07:42 AM
    Received no update yet on my Classic w/ Bell.
    01-13-16 10:58 AM
    It should be a global release. But if BlackBerry is smart. It will be pulled.

Not being able to delete an Android app is rather catastrophic.
    01-13-16 11:28 AM
    Can you explain what you mean not being able to delete.....if I long press and app o
    I can delete it...it doesn't appear on my list of apps anymore thay I can see...if I go onto the playstore my installed apps it still shows installed...but I don't see why this is an issue..........

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 01:29 PM
    Ok I see what you meant...in the playstore the app still says installed...if you hit un install it goes through the process but still allows you to open it afterwards. Still not a major issues for me...

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 01:35 PM
    01-13-16 01:37 PM
    Hi conite...

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the thread...if - I may ask you some qs as a blackberry newbie (3 weeks)...

I basically use 3 android apps:

google play music to play my cloud stored music

Flipboard and engadget...

Now both flipboard and engadget ran so slow prior to the update I never used them...

Since the update they both run briliantly so much quicker...

So what does it matter to me if I can't un install them...as I would never want to. Apologies if I'm missing something...

Tom

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 02:00 PM
    Hi conite...

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the thread...if - I may ask you some qs as a blackberry newbie (3 weeks)...

I basically use 3 android apps:

google play music to play my cloud stored music

Flipboard and engadget...

Now both flipboard and engadget ran so slow prior to the update I never used them...

Since the update they both run briliantly so much quicker...

So what does it matter to me if I can't un install them...as I would never want to. Apologies if I'm missing something...

Tom

Posted via CB10
    If you are not going to delete anything, you should be absolutely fine.
    01-13-16 02:04 PM
    Thanks mate

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 02:05 PM
    When I initially got the update, I had two Android apps that I wanted to uninstall, so I rolled the two Android runtime files back to .2813 using Sashesi to do it. Then I accepted the .2876 runtime files back, because performance does seem better. I don't do a lot of app installing and uninstalling on my Passport, so I don't mind this workaround for when I do need to uninstall one.
    01-14-16 07:30 AM
    Does Skype count as an Android app?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 10:23 AM
    Does Skype count as an Android app?

Posted via CB10
    Yes.
    01-14-16 10:34 AM
    Do we have an official list of changes for this update ?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 10:43 AM