You going to make calls on the Classic with that external power pack plugged in? I go back to the point which is you carry a second battery in your suit, shrubs, jeans which is FULLY charged. It saddens me that Blackberry ignore their original customer base. FYI, standby time of 957 was over 10 days.
    Interesting point here, as the surgeon states. However, being one who carries around that 'battery pack' and may have to indeed make a call with said attached, let me say this:... I simply haven't had to yet. I'm 5 months in, a power user for business on my phone talking, messaging, BBM, email all day long. Not one time yet have I had to haul out my battery pack while on a phone call.

If my battery is getting low and starting to make me nervous (this is not often), I just plug in the integrated mini USB cord that is part of the very reasonable size 3000 maph battery I carry and just let it charge a bit for a few moments. If I have to be on a call while it does (I haven't) I would simply hold the small battery, while connected, and phone in one hand. No big deal.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 01:08 PM
    Maybe we need an "Armchair Industrial Designer" section
    Part of why this sticks in my craw a bit is that I know and have known a lot of people who worked at Blackberry through the years. Despite what many at CrackBerry assume, BlackBerry actually puts a ton of effort into their customer contact - surveys, user tests, discussions with former customers, panels, customer visits and the like. In fact, I've heard it said more than once that they put more into it that other companies where these people worked before or since.

What seems to not be clear to many on CrackBerry is that we likely do not represent anything more than the tiniest sliver of BlackBerrys user base.

They have 37 million Blackberry users, even now! But for some reason, people tend to assume that a few opinionated power users and tech enthusiasts who sign up to an enthusiast site like CrackBerry have needs and desires that reflect the BlackBerry userbase as a whole.

I feel for the OP that they didn't make a device for him. I can relate because they didn't make one for me either. That's unfortunate. but John Chen's job isn't to keep him happy or me happy. It's to keep BlackBerry alive.

The OP says "They don't listen to their customers", but really, OP is mad that John Chen didn't call him up personally, get his advice on what device to build and make one for him personally.

Maybe if Chen takes that approach, he can call up Belfast and then personally make BBOS 8 devices too! ;-)
    LazyEvul, TgeekB and kertong like this.
    04-19-15 01:20 PM
    I live 14 mile north of town in a hill environment. Although we are on the top we are on the back side from the tower. I get 1-2 bars on a good day a 3 bars would be tops. If I move 10 feet I could drop a call. If I drive 6 blocks I have no reception for 5 mile and then only for 500 yard then another 6 miles with no signal.

So in addition to heavy usage on WiFi it must be draining the battery to obtain a signal?

Did not know that.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 348221
    Water marks from 10.3.2.281
    Yeah, I've had verizon for years and everything was fine until we bought a house in a spot that barely got any VZW reception. I'm talking, when you drive up the hill it goes into SOS mode.

Anyway, it destroys any battery... specially because it seems to get some signals from towers in different places, so it's constantly switching and trying based on all the voodoo factors that affect electromagnetic propagation. I usually have a verizon femtocell and that makes a huge difference. Two years ago we lost power for a week, which meant the femtocell also went down. My Z10 didn't stand a chance... I'd have to keep going to the car to charge it, it sucked.

I switched to AT&T for the Passport and ironically I get full signal, combined with its massive battery, there are days in which I still have 75% left.

But signal, unless you're watching videos all day, is definitely a big factor.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 01:28 PM
    @animalpak200
    Just did a search on Amazon these antenna booster are $80 to $400. Pretty steep price for a good one. I guess it is worth it if you capitalize it over 5 years.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 01:57 PM
    @kobnyc

I initially bought a 2600mAh spare, but having the same amps as the Classic's it didn't work for me. The 10k seems to charge it faster.

Don't like it but there is no margin with a smaller spare

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 02:06 PM
    It seems to me that we keep revolving around two groups for and against battery swap option. The only argument I've read so far was the one that the classic battery won't last through one day od "moderate" use. If you are a heavy user, can you please provide us with some credible info on your average daily usage of Classic (in mins, hours or whatever other measurable metrics you want)...
    Otherwise, this will turn into a pi**ing contest, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    So near and yet so far: from hero to zero-img_20150419_133434.png

Fully charge about 12m, 6 hours sleep 5 hours on and off usage.

Don't see me ever getting 8 to 12 hours like others.

Edit:

Attachment 348273
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 04-19-15 at 05:16 PM.
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    04-19-15 03:42 PM
    Yes, PITB and not acceptable to clients or patients. "Dude cannot even charge his phone, why would I trust him with ...". Classic is a bit of a failure and could have been significantly better with less design dithering.
    No disrespect, but I doubt a patient has ever thought that. I work in a hospital, often 12 hour days, and my Classic has never been under 60% when I leave. I've also never heard a patient make a comment about a providers smartphone battery. If your 9900 works for you though that's great. My Classic works perfect for me. We all are different.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    kertong likes this.
    04-19-15 04:12 PM
    Have a Q10 and have always wondered about useful life of a battery. Still use my initial,about one and half years out and it's functional. Have three others and rotate monthly. Get around two days plus usage. A good feature though when the battery fails it is user friendly to replace instantly without sending it in to BB or whoever.
    04-19-15 04:54 PM
    Not an entirely valid post, IMHO.

When I first bought my Q10, I took advantage of a 50% off deal for the Q10's external battery charger + spare battery.

Never, ever, ever used it.

Before the Q, I was on a Torch which absolutely needed a pick-me-up, but with the Q, Z, and now Classic that I have, I've never thought to myself "boy, I wish I had a spare battery."

Understandably YMMV, but BlackBerry 10 and BBOS are NOT the same beast -- I understand devices on the latter needing the removable battery (also because of battery pulls!) but with the former, unnecessary in my perspective.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 06:48 PM
    ......My Q10 battery was just as good a year and a half of use later than it was in the beginning (obviously not 100%, but close enough that I couldn't notice a difference).

The 9900 is a different story. That tiny 1300mah battery sucked to begin with, after a year it's unusable... I had to swap batteries with the 9900, sometimes had to recharge the Q10 toward the end of the day.....
    After just after a year I noticed a lot of degradation in my Q10 battery - I was doing the same job (17 month contract) so my average usage was the same - but whereas initially the Q10 battery would last all day (& evening) and still have a tiny amount of juice left the next morning if I forgot to charge it overnight - by the time the phone was barely a year old, the battery would be down to 10% by 5pm and I'd have to charge it in the office. In the end I realised that I had a spare 'new' Q10 battery (as a result of having had my first Q10 swapped after the first day when I realised it had a 'squidgy' space bar) and I therefore swapped to the new battery - the 'new' battery gave me a full day's usage again.

Yep, the 9900 battery life was a painful shock (especially after my fantastic 9700...), and my experience with the 9900 battery life was the same as yours.

I'm hoping that my Passport battery doesn't start to 'fall off a cliff' - it is the first phone I've ever had where the battery is non-removable. My Passport usually lasts at least 1.5 days (eg Monday morning -> Tuesday evening) between charges, long may it continue....
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 04-20-15 at 07:22 AM.
    04-19-15 08:53 PM
    OP:
    I believe the Q10 is the best option. Even if you buy one today, it will be supported for quite a while, since the new Classic pretty much has the exact same internals.

I also chose the Q10 for its removable battery. And I plan to stick with the Q10 for quite a while until BlackBerry produces the next gen Classic with the removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 10:34 PM
    How about "Armchair Customer" forum? LOL

Maybe we need an "Armchair Industrial Designer" section
    04-20-15 03:00 AM
    Your point is well made. I was thinking more of the user's colleagues. And most of our on-call shifts are much longer than 12-hours!

No disrespect, but I doubt a patient has ever thought that. I work in a hospital, often 12 hour days, and my Classic has never been under 60% when I leave. I've also never heard a patient make a comment about a providers smartphone battery. If your 9900 works for you though that's great. My Classic works perfect for me. We all are different.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    04-20-15 03:03 AM
    I never had this issue until I read a post about it. If we make Q10 plus or classic 2 with the latest specs* camera module spects etf keep keyboard no

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 PIN:2BFE4937 T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    04-20-15 03:21 AM
    How about "Armchair Customer" forum? LOL
    If you had dropped the "they should have done ____ _____ and _____", I'd buy that.

But instead, you decided to council John Chen on how to do industrial design, what form factors to be building to keep customers etc.

So for me, it's "armchair CEO".

Think you can do a better job? Send them your resume and tell them you're "the man with the plan".
    kertong likes this.
    04-20-15 08:04 AM
    Yes, PITB and not acceptable to clients or patients. "Dude cannot even charge his phone, why would I trust him with ...". Classic is a bit of a failure and could have been significantly better with less design dithering.
    I don't wanna state the obvious here, but let me state the obvious... Nearly every iPhone user I've seen has one thing in common, darn near across the board. They are all looking for places to 'charge' their phones. Go to a Starbucks here in NYC. Walls in every one will be lined with iPhone ppl craving a few minutes of battery charge. Look in a hotel lobby, Dr office waiting room, cafe, etc. Common theme everywhere- iPhone plugged in and topping up at nearly every one, usually multiple ppl. I've even see 2 iPhone ppl argue over a wall outlet in a DUMBO Brooklyn Starbucks!

Maybe someday with my Classic, I might fight for that outlet too in dire time of need. But so far, BlackBerry Classic has put all to shame w/ the great battery life it has shown me and I have so far been able to go all day and then some on a single full charge out the door in the morning. I'm usually around 20% left unlocking the apartment door in the evening.

Your argument here about it being 'so unprofessional' for not having a charged phone just falls face flat Brother. Non removable batteries are the future on EVERY platform. They are less costly to manufacture, better designed than ever before and BlackBerry will be no different. Why should they be? It's no 'deal killer' for the 99% who don't even think about it. Oh- and guess what? Many of us are power users just like you. We're surviving just fine w/o removable battery. Heck, it hasn't even been an issue for me (just speaking for myself) and I'm on my Classic all day. I don't even carry a laptop anymore. Just a Classic and a Q10. Yes, I carry a spare battery for the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-20-15 10:12 AM
    @ kobnyc, I can't count the number of iPhone users who've expressed envy over my 9900's swappable battery. I've fitted my 99 with an extended battery that appears it will provide at least 4 DAYs of endurance. I still carry a spare.

Batteries add mass. The large battery in our Classics adds weight to the device. Weight that might not be needed, nor wanted, by some. Swappable batteries provide customization options for individual needs.

I think that part of the frustration that seems to wind up in the Classic forum is the absence of upgrade path for current 9900 users. The 9900 provided a feature set simply not found ANYwhere else. Last i checked, numbers indicate that the 9900 was the single most successful device in BB's history. It's the only device i'm aware of that was re-introduced years later. Why is BB so determined to abandon nearly EVERY feature their most successful device provided? Were these features the cause of RIM's failure? IDK.

I do know that BB's market research far exceeds my meager capabilities... yet, 99% of smartphone sales are NOT BB. It doesn't take much research to determine what BB sold best. Feature abandonment has done NOthing for BB's market share, AFAIK.

It's easy to see why StarBucks might want a part of McDonald's BigMac success. Selling a "BigBuck" or something might make marketing sense. STOPPING to sell coffee would be market suicide, tho. It's easy to see why BB wanted a part of Apple's market. If mimicry were a successful market strategy, the great Z30 would be pounding iPhone sales into oblivion. It hasn't. PROVEN feature differentiation affords a chance, at least.

Our Classics provide PKB, ToolBelt and Paratek antenna. An excellent device in its own!
    Last edited by idssteve; 04-20-15 at 02:01 PM.
    04-20-15 01:49 PM
    I asked for evidence of your statement "that is a trade-off BlackBerry calculated" - you provided none unfortunately. Try a battery pack and a fully charged extra battery and I think you will see the problem. The Classic (q20) will not last a day with moderate use.

So to users like myself it is a not professional product without the ability to take a replacement battery. Which is why I state that BB ignores their customer base. Apple has iTunes, Android has Apps. What does BB have?

And I started with the 950.
    Is this a serious question? Nobody thinks of Blackberry's removable batteries as a defining feature. It's the keyboard, always been the keyboard, heck they named the company after it.

You know what? Don't buy it. I would hate to have to read a post with every single nitpick about how BB10 is different from BBOS7. On BBOS7 I had to carry around a spare battery, and now I still have 50% left at the end of the day, but you will never know about that because you're still hung up on the battery removability.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 02:56 AM
    There are indeed. Taking selfies and messaging on Facebook?

Reference = Every iPhone user and there are plenty of those.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 08:59 PM
    Problem solved. Q10, battery charger and 2nd battery in the post!

Is this a serious question? Nobody thinks of Blackberry's removable batteries as a defining feature. It's the keyboard, always been the keyboard, heck they named the company after it.

You know what? Don't buy it. I would hate to have to read a post with every single nitpick about how BB10 is different from BBOS7. On BBOS7 I had to carry around a spare battery, and now I still have 50% left at the end of the day, but you will never know about that because you're still hung up on the battery removability.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 09:02 PM
    Problem solved. Q10, battery charger and 2nd battery in the post!
    TS, you naturally know your situation and needs better than anyone providing "free advice" in a forum. That said, my "free advice", fwiw, would be to consider possible privacy issues with the "soft end" configuration of the Q10.

Long story short, my firm lost a BIG client after he stayed on the line and listened to his, and his competitor's, order being discussed and processed. One of our best crew members had failed to get the call disconnected on her Q. A first for her but something we had just laughed off several times before.

Obviously "operator error" was identified as root cause but Q10's "soft end" was the significant contributing factor. We immediately returned to our hard key "end" 9900s and have experienced ZERO "end" failures since. We've since restored that client's confidence, also.

I don't believe the industry at large has adequately identified, nor addressed, possible privacy & security issues of the "soft end" trend. IMO.

The only thing my firm values more than a swappable battery is the privacy assurance afforded by physical "end" key. Since Classic is the only BB10 device providing physical "end" key, we've adopted it while continuing to explore mitigations for the fixed battery nonsense. Classic's usb location is pretty friendly to charging cradles. Qi is another possible, if partial, mitigation.

Classic's endurance IS remarkable but we still occasionally seek power by end of our 12hr shifts. A headache we're willing to endure for the sake of Classic's "end" key.

Just some thoughts for your consideration.
    04-22-15 08:03 AM
    @ kobnyc, I can't count the number of iPhone users who've expressed envy over my 9900's swappable battery. I've fitted my 99 with an extended battery that appears it will provide at least 4 DAYs of endurance. I still carry a spare.

Batteries add mass. The large battery in our Classics adds weight to the device. Weight that might not be needed, nor wanted, by some. Swappable batteries provide customization options for individual needs.

I think that part of the frustration that seems to wind up in the Classic forum is the absence of upgrade path for current 9900 users. The 9900 provided a feature set simply not found ANYwhere else. Last i checked, numbers indicate that the 9900 was the single most successful device in BB's history. It's the only device i'm aware of that was re-introduced years later. Why is BB so determined to abandon nearly EVERY feature their most successful device provided? Were these features the cause of RIM's failure? IDK.

I do know that BB's market research far exceeds my meager capabilities... yet, 99% of smartphone sales are NOT BB. It doesn't take much research to determine what BB sold best. Feature abandonment has done NOthing for BB's market share, AFAIK.

It's easy to see why StarBucks might want a part of McDonald's BigMac success. Selling a "BigBuck" or something might make marketing sense. STOPPING to sell coffee would be market suicide, tho. It's easy to see why BB wanted a part of Apple's market. If mimicry were a successful market strategy, the great Z30 would be pounding iPhone sales into oblivion. It hasn't. PROVEN feature differentiation affords a chance, at least.

Our Classics provide PKB, ToolBelt and Paratek antenna. An excellent device in its own!
    @idssteve, you have my agreement here. I still have my 9900. Still love it. Carried 3 spare batteries for it. The battery life on the 9900 sucked. But, I made that switch from 9900 as primary to Z and Q10's as primary w/ 9900 as secondary (I carry 2 phones). Then from Q10 to secondary and Classic as now primary. All I'm saying is that I have not even missed the changeable battery.

Sure I missed a few of the OS7 features, but I was looking forward, not continually backward. I don't see or feel like I've 'given up' anything in the transition. Different operation- yes, some vastly different features- sure. Loss of some stuff I really liked on the 9900- absolutely. But no way would I stick with the past. It's a doomed strategy. Operating systems continually evolve. They have to. OS7 was at the outer utmost limits of it's capabilities with nowhere else to go. BB10 is in the infancy of it's evolution. It's got lots of room for growth and refinement. I'll take the one with growing room please, and say goodbye to to the end of life one, even as much as I liked it for years.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 09:55 AM
    @idssteve, you have my agreement here. I still have my 9900. Still love it. Carried 3 spare batteries for it. The battery life on the 9900 sucked. But, I made that switch from 9900 as primary to Z and Q10's as primary w/ 9900 as secondary (I carry 2 phones). Then from Q10 to secondary and Classic as now primary. All I'm saying is that I have not even missed the changeable battery.

Sure I missed a few of the OS7 features, but I was looking forward, not continually backward. I don't see or feel like I've 'given up' anything in the transition. Different operation- yes, some vastly different features- sure. Loss of some stuff I really liked on the 9900- absolutely. But no way would I stick with the past. It's a doomed strategy. Operating systems continually evolve. They have to. OS7 was at the outer utmost limits of it's capabilities with nowhere else to go. BB10 is in the infancy of it's evolution. It's got lots of room for growth and refinement. I'll take the one with growing room please, and say goodbye to to the end of life one, even as much as I liked it for years.

Posted via CB10
    Also agree. BB10 IS the future. A bright future. Excruciatingly slow in coming but it is showing very welcome signs of maturity. I've been finding the combination of Classic AND 9900 to be a very productive alternative to "cold turkey" transition. The best features of both platforms compliment each other very efficiently, IMO. Once BB10 and BB's devices mature enough, i can see possibilities for replacing my 9900 with, and carrying, another additional Classic... or swappable battery Classic 2....
    04-22-15 10:45 AM
    @IDSSteve - you make a great point about the "soft-end" to phone calls which, to be honest, I was hoping to ignore. However, your experience is a message I will not forget in future q10 use.

Earlier some one mentioned that the Bold 9900 was by far the most successful Blackberry. While OS7 had reached the end of life (in terms of an upgrade path), it is still quite usable today.

I bought my 9900 in 2011 and then reverted to iPhone as Blackberry gave me NO upgrade path. It seems now that 10.3.1 _may_ be sufficiently mature. Though has BB Protect functionality been reduced? If so, this is very disappointing.

It looks like most Bold users will have to wait for a Classic "Pro" for a viable upgrade path. And why is the current Classic so damn big? My 9900 and q10 are almost the same size. The right size!

To me a Blackberry "Classic" would be q10 form-factor with a tool-belt (9900illuminated optical trackpad!), replaceable battery and internal SIM.

TS, you naturally know your situation and needs better than anyone providing "free advice" in a forum. That said, my "free advice", fwiw, would be to consider possible privacy issues with the "soft end" configuration of the Q10.

Long story short, my firm lost a BIG client after he stayed on the line and listened to his, and his competitor's, order being discussed and processed. One of our best crew members had failed to get the call disconnected on her Q. A first for her but something we had just laughed off several times before.

Obviously "operator error" was identified as root cause but Q10's "soft end" was the significant contributing factor. We immediately returned to our hard key "end" 9900s and have experienced ZERO "end" failures since. We've since restored that client's confidence, also.

I don't believe the industry at large has adequately identified, nor addressed, possible privacy & security issues of the "soft end" trend. IMO.

The only thing my firm values more than a swappable battery is the privacy assurance afforded by physical "end" key. Since Classic is the only BB10 device providing physical "end" key, we've adopted it while continuing to explore mitigations for the fixed battery nonsense. Classic's usb location is pretty friendly to charging cradles. Qi is another possible, if partial, mitigation.

Classic's endurance IS remarkable but we still occasionally seek power by end of our 12hr shifts. A headache we're willing to endure for the sake of Classic's "end" key.

Just some thoughts for your consideration.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    AllanQuatermain and skstrials like this.
    04-22-15 11:14 PM
    Ok... You're a trauma surgeon, yes? Honestly Bro... What patient of yours is going to REALLY be giving a holy crap about your charged- or not phone, or what kind it is and if your pocket packs a battery back up? When they come to see you, by the nature of your career choice, I'd hazard a guess that you're not dealing w/ 6 year old kids that have the sniffles and people with a little ouch issue... Really??

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kobnyc; 04-27-15 at 02:06 PM.
    Mausje75 and slagman5 like this.
    04-25-15 10:19 AM
90 1234