It seems to me that we keep revolving around two groups for and against battery swap option. The only argument I've read so far was the one that the classic battery won't last through one day od "moderate" use. If you are a heavy user, can you please provide us with some credible info on your average daily usage of Classic (in mins, hours or whatever other measurable metrics you want)...
    Otherwise, this will turn into a pi**ing contest, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-18-15 04:44 PM
    The non-removable battery is cheaper and takes less space to integrate (which results in a larger battery within the same volume). The increased battery life does come at the expense of not being able to swap it, but that is a tradeoff BlackBerry calculated would only affect a small percentage of users that either have extreme use or don't charge their device once a day.

You may not agree with their decision, but it's pretty easy to understand,.. even for a lowly non-surgeon peasant like myself. : /

Posted via CB10
    Experts Answer 38 of Your Burning Questions About BlackBerry Classic | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    Looks like Game, Set, Match to AnimalPak200 and sedat to me...
    04-18-15 06:20 PM
    Good call. You're lucky your Classic lasts all day for you usage profile.
    Yah, combination of good signal strength, and I don't use it too often with constant network access (like streaming music), so even with using it to play music via bluetooth in my car, using it as a gps, and texting, browsing the internet, checking my mail, playing Sudoku, and other stuff it isn't enough to totally kill the battery, which is nice...
    04-18-15 09:04 PM
    Bad news for the OP... Companies do not make devices with just you in mind... As BB focus is enterprise... odds are they surveyed many of their major enterprise customers to get an idea where to take the devices.... as BB now depends on Enterprise for survival... you can be sure they listen to their bulk buying customers as opposed to what the OP thinks should happen. I am in the camp that it would be great if they made an all touch flagship phone... but I am not holding my breath or counting on it in any way....
    04-18-15 09:32 PM
    Apple has iTunes, Android has Apps. What does BB have?
    BlackBerry has security.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 09:44 PM
    It seems to me that we keep revolving around two groups for and against battery swap option. The only argument I've read so far was the one that the classic battery won't last through one day od "moderate" use. If you are a heavy user, can you please provide us with some credible info on your average daily usage of Classic (in mins, hours or whatever other measurable metrics you want)...
    Otherwise, this will turn into a pi**ing contest, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    Wish it were that simple. Some of us simply don't have a "routine" enough life to establish an "average daily usage". Things like signal strength, hours of voice, flashlight usage, etc, etc, impact battery life on virtually any device.

Classic's endurance is generally impressive. Mine's lasted two days on a couple "quiet" weekends. Other days, under low signal industrial conditions, heavy voice use burns up my Classic AND an external charger batt by the end of a 12 hr day. That could be ok IF i could ALWAYS simply clock out, go home, and plug in the device and battery for the night. SOME of us simply don't have that luxury ALL of the time. Some of us simply can't plan around "average daily use". Some of us must plan around worst case.

A more relevant question, IMO, is: How much endurance is "enough"? If BB somehow fitted their fixed battery devices with large enough batteries to satisfy MY worst case demands, the device would be uncomfortably heavy for "average" users. Swappable batts empower individuals to customize the device to their needs. Using aftermarket batteries, my 9900 provides several days of endurance. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ttery-1014228/ I still carry, and use spares. I'm human. If, being human, my 9900 finally dies mid call, i can swap batts and re-call the frantic client in 3 minutes. Pulling my drained to death Classic back to consciousness requires significantly more time, in my experience.

I get that BB simply wasn't targeting users like myself and the OP and that's ok. That's their choice. I hope the pricing saved attracts enough consumer grade users to offset sales lost to lack of a feature some of us consider essential. I also hope BB will someday build a true replacement for the 9900. Till then, my 99 must continue to provide backup for my beloved Classic.
    04-18-15 10:13 PM
    I used to think that a removable battery was necessary and included it in one of my Must Have's.
    Then I got the Z30 and it's only been an issue one time with my Z30, Passport or now my Classic.
    Really, the Classic battery is great and just get a powerpack in case you need it.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-19-15 03:05 AM
    The battery in the Classic lasts twice as long as the 9900 in my opinion, and much longer than the Classic. So enjoy changing batteries, I'll enjoy simply going a full day on one charge. Andd enjoy not having the toolbelt.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Yet ironically the 9900 battery was half the size, removable and the device was slimmer.
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    04-19-15 03:52 AM
    BlackBerry has security.

Posted via CB10
    No longer for regular consumers
    04-19-15 03:54 AM
    Hence my desire to continue to use a blackberry product...

BlackBerry has security.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 04:33 AM
    Appreciate that reference, from blackberry's own employees.

04-19-15 04:38 AM
    Could not disagree more. Left NYC last Sunday on a plane to San Diego. Me and my Classic were both up at 5 am. Worked on the plane and was on WiFi whole trip. Landed in San Diego at 11:15 am PST. Went to conference until 7:45 PM PST. Got back on Red eye at 9 pm PST with 21 % battery left. That means 5 am to midnight before charging. That's 19 hours straight with fairly heavy BBM, text, email and a 2.75 hour document editing along with multiple phone calls. Charged on plane back (no power on the way to San Diego). Got off plane at 6 am with full charge and worked until 6 pm with 40% battery left. Absolute workhorse and good enough that I do not need a lap top to travel. I do this kind of travel once every couple of months and this is way better than my Q10 and on par with my Z30 though the Passport would have gone two days straight with no need for a charge (I prefer the Classic keyboard and form factor). By the way, Trauma Surgeon, I am an eye surgeon and do not understand why you reference patients in your posts?

Posted via CB10
    JRuppenthal likes this.
    04-19-15 09:08 AM
    I asked for evidence of your statement "that is a trade-off BlackBerry calculated" - you provided none unfortunately. Try a battery pack and a fully charged extra battery and I think you will see the problem. The Classic (q20) will not last a day with moderate use.

So to users like myself it is a not professional product without the ability to take a replacement battery. Which is why I state that BB ignores their customer base. Apple has iTunes, Android has Apps. What does BB have?

And I started with the 950.
    Sorry, I hadn't been back on CB for a few days. Looks like Sedat pulled a nice link for you.

I would be very surprised if your device doesn't last a full work day 'with moderate use'. What exactly are you doing with it? By far the biggest battery drain on a device is low reception, I can see that being the case inside a hospital (going by your user name). My wife is a hospital ED pharmacists and they have terrible reception in some floors, but even so... her Passport comes back with over 50% charge and she uses the android version of LexiComp constantly (shes uses an internal wireless phone to take calls, however). In any case, perhaps you need a signal repeater installed or get a femtocell (available from most carriers).

Maybe if you describe in more detail, what exactly it is that you consider 'moderate use', and some relevant factors of your particular environment... we could more accurately measure our responses against your 'I need an ammo belt full of spare batteries' claim.
    04-19-15 09:08 AM
    The OP is using a Bold 9900 and a 957? Technology moves on my friend. More & more phones are being produced with non-replacable batteries. Samsung's latest flagship is sealed and is selling like gangbusters. Every iPhone has been sealed. HTC One, Sony Xperias, the list goes on. I imagine there will come a day when every phone that's sold will have a non-replacable battery. Customers want thin phones and that's the only way to achieve that.
    04-19-15 09:50 AM
    I have a classic and I use it for work. I get a lot of emails and phone calls everyday (not bragging...it gets old quick) and the battery would last me all day. I would have 30% left around 5pm after a 8:30am shift.

Not sure how demanding yours would be. I had a q10 before this and it sucked. I went through 2 Q10's until I had enough and asked for a classic.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 10:03 AM
    Yet ironically the 9900 battery was half the size, removable and the device was slimmer.
    I guess if I was half the size that would matter to me...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-19-15 10:15 AM

................ By far the biggest battery drain on a device is low reception, I can see that being the case inside a hospital (going by your user name). My wife is a hospital ED pharmacists and they have terrible reception in some floors, but even so... her Passport comes back with over 50% charge and she uses the android version of LexiComp constantly (shes uses an internal wireless phone to take calls, however). In any case, perhaps you need a signal repeater installed or get a femtocell (available from most carriers).
    I live 14 mile north of town in a hill environment. Although we are on the top we are on the back side from the tower. I get 1-2 bars on a good day a 3 bars would be tops. If I move 10 feet I could drop a call. If I drive 6 blocks I have no reception for 5 mile and then only for 500 yard then another 6 miles with no signal.

So in addition to heavy usage on WiFi it must be draining the battery to obtain a signal?

Did not know that.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 348221
    Water marks from 10.3.2.281
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 04-19-15 at 11:22 AM.
    04-19-15 11:05 AM
    Hi AnimalPak200, you mentioned " that is a tradeoff BlackBerry calculated". Have you got a reference for this statement? I'm afraid that the % of users this affects is considerable. Begging a client or patient if "I can charge my phone" is really not acceptable for many professionals in medicine, surgery and finance. TS
    Reference = Every iPhone user and there are plenty of those.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 11:12 AM
    Non-removable battery = in-built obsolescence. Very poor design choice for professional users (they want to target).
    Whole market has shifted to touch screens WITHOUT keyboards. By your reasoning, should Blackberry do that to?

The whole market shifts to non-removable batteries, so BlackBerry seems not to be alone with that 'stupid' decision.

The argument that after 3-5y the battery might not work properly anymore is a valid point. From a market perspective it seems not to be relevant anymore, as phones have now a renew cycle of ~2y.

Posted via CB10
    skstrials likes this.
    04-19-15 11:39 AM
    Non-removable battery = in-built obsolescence. Very poor design choice for professional users (they want to target).
    Whole market has shifted to touch screens WITHOUT keyboards. By your reasoning, should Blackberry do that to?
    My "non-removable" z30 battery can be changed at a phone store in about 5 minutes.

Please stop with the hyperbole. It's a design choice, not the end of the world. It's still a great choice for a professional.

I'm not saying they are right either, but there are those who say having to shut down, replace a battery, and fire back up again is "unprofessional". Battery contacts that wear out over time causing the phone to unexpectedly reboot on occasion can be considered "unprofessional" too. The adjective itself is one of those nonsense, subjective words anyway.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2
    Last edited by conite; 04-19-15 at 12:08 PM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-19-15 11:49 AM
    I live 14 mile north of town in a hill environment. Although we are on the top we are on the back side from the tower. I get 1-2 bars on a good day a 3 bars would be tops. If I move 10 feet I could drop a call. If I drive 6 blocks I have no reception for 5 mile and then only for 500 yard then another 6 miles with no signal.

So in addition to heavy usage on WiFi it must be draining the battery to obtain a signal?

Did not know that.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 348221
    Water marks from 10.3.2.281
    In the industrial environments i work, our Classic's get noticeably better signal than our 9900s ever did. Classic's Paratek is a worthy feature, in itself, IMO.
    04-19-15 12:01 PM
    This really belongs in the "armchair CEO " forum ...
    kertong likes this.
    04-19-15 12:17 PM
    This really belongs in the "armchair CEO " forum ...
    Maybe we need an "Armchair Industrial Designer" section
    RubberChicken76 and mkelley65 like this.
    04-19-15 12:37 PM
    The Classic (q20) will not last a day with moderate use.

Apple has iTunes, Android has Apps. What does BB have?
    If you never owned a Classic.... then how do you know that?? I'm use my phone to make phone calls, web browsing, emailing etc.. when I go to bed and charge it, my phone has still 60% battery after 17 hours since last charge left.

What does BlackBerry have? A great keyboard, security and a awesome OS.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    04-19-15 12:52 PM
    All Blackberry had to do was design and release a Blackberry 10 update of the Bold 9900 (which I still use today). They kept keyboard and added back tool belt (finally) and optical mouse. But what where they thinking?!

1. Non-removable battery
    - It is hard for me to understand why they would do this. 30% bigger battery yes. But when it dies you are done.

2. External SIM and SD card slot
    - Why would you put these nasty drawers on the outside (not even Superman). This is a very bad design choice.

Well I was going to upgrade to a Blackberry Classic (Q20). Not now, I will buy a Q10 plus 2x batteries off eBay.
    Summary: a once great company, poorly managed by a series of CEOs who do not listen to their _customers_.
    #1: Bought a Motorola 3000 mpah battery on Amazon for $9.99. It has a built in USB integrated plug in that molds right into the battery and has a simple button I can push to see charger level. Haven't even noticed the inability to change batteries.

#2: Put in my SIM and SD card when I bought the phone- haven't touched it since. Hard to see why this is an issue for you, unless you're taking out your SIM and SD card multiple times per day.

I think Blackberry DID listen to the majority of us long time BlackBerry users. The Classic is world's better than the 9900. Maybe they didn't hear your archaic demand here, but the point was to move FORWARD. Not stay static or re-invent the past on a tapped out model and old OS.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 12:53 PM
90 1234