All Blackberry had to do was design and release a Blackberry 10 update of the Bold 9900 (which I still use today). They kept keyboard and added back tool belt (finally) and optical mouse. But what where they thinking?!

1. Non-removable battery
    - It is hard for me to understand why they would do this. 30% bigger battery yes. But when it dies you are done.

2. External SIM and SD card slot
    - Why would you put these nasty drawers on the outside (not even Superman). This is a very bad design choice.

Well I was going to upgrade to a Blackberry Classic (Q20). Not now, I will buy a Q10 plus 2x batteries off eBay.
    Summary: a once great company, poorly managed by a series of CEOs who do not listen to their _customers_.
    04-18-15 07:41 AM
    The non-removable battery is cheaper and takes less space to integrate (which results in a larger battery within the same volume). The increased battery life does come at the expense of not being able to swap it, but that is a tradeoff BlackBerry calculated would only affect a small percentage of users that either have extreme use or don't charge their device once a day.

You may not agree with their decision, but it's pretty easy to understand,.. even for a lowly non-surgeon peasant like myself. : /

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 07:54 AM
    Hi AnimalPak200, you mentioned " that is a tradeoff BlackBerry calculated". Have you got a reference for this statement? I'm afraid that the % of users this affects is considerable. Begging a client or patient if "I can charge my phone" is really not acceptable for many professionals in medicine, surgery and finance. TS
    04-18-15 07:59 AM
    Hi AnimalPak200, you mentioned " that is a tradeoff BlackBerry calculated". Have you got a reference for this statement? I'm afraid that the % of users this affects is considerable. Begging a client or patient if "I can charge my phone" is really not acceptable for many professionals in medicine, surgery and finance. TS
    Have you tried the phone? You're complaining about the battery life and yet you have never used it?

Buy a charging battery pack if you're that concerned about battery life. What's the difference between carrying that and extra batteries?
    04-18-15 08:30 AM
    I second the statement of simply buying a battery powerpack. They aren't expensive, come in a variety of shapes, sizes, capacities and charging ports. While of course not as convenient to carry around due to the fact you need to have a (short) USB cable with it, you at least don't have to power off the device and boot it up again, which can take quite some time.

For example I got an Anker made 9000mAH power pack which can charge two devices at once, offers high-capacity charging like the Playbook charger and has enough juice to charge my Classic three times.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 08:44 AM
    I have the Q10 and prefer my Classic to the Q10. Own a Z10 too. What I do is bring the Q10 's battery bundle with me and use it to charge the Classic (and our other Android phones) when we are traveling. So far. I haven't had to do that. Battery has lasted well thru the day. And I am a heavy communicator as well as Web browse a lot.

Posted via Classic
    04-18-15 09:10 AM
    You know at first I thought about the non removable battery. But I jokingly said to my self, that if my battery flat lines for good, I plan to be making enough income to go ahead and buy a new one LOL

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-18-15 10:01 AM
    All Blackberry had to do was design and release a Blackberry 10 update of the Bold 9900 (which I still use today). They kept keyboard and added back tool belt (finally) and optical mouse. But what where they thinking?!

1. Non-removable battery
    - It is hard for me to understand why they would do this. 30% bigger battery yes. But when it dies you are done.

- Why would you put these nasty drawers on the outside (not even Superman). This is a very bad design choice.

Well I was going to upgrade to a Blackberry Classic (Q20). Not now, I will buy a Q10 plus 2x batteries off eBay.
    Summary: a once great company, poorly managed by a series of CEOs who do not listen to their _customers_.
    The battery in the Classic lasts twice as long as the 9900 in my opinion, and much longer than the Classic. So enjoy changing batteries, I'll enjoy simply going a full day on one charge. Andd enjoy not having the toolbelt.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-18-15 10:09 AM
    You going to make calls on the Classic with that external power pack plugged in? I go back to the point which is you carry a second battery in your suit, shrubs, jeans which is FULLY charged. It saddens me that Blackberry ignore their original customer base. FYI, standby time of 957 was over 10 days.
    Wunliang likes this.
    04-18-15 10:12 AM
    Sorry Mr 4, most customers who need extended battery life are not going to carry that! A second battery is 3mm thick x the 9900 screen.
    04-18-15 10:15 AM
    Fair point, though I don't want to mess around getting second blackberry working on my cell network. Mind you that does make sense. Though a second / third battery is $10. So unlikely I will bother to upgrade from 9900.
    04-18-15 10:18 AM
    And when the battery degrades (as they do) and you need to charge during the day? This is the key concern that professional users have.
    Wunliang likes this.
    04-18-15 10:22 AM
    So near and yet so far: from hero to zero-img_20150418_161946.jpg

I'm coming from the 9900, I'm as heavy of a user as anyone. I use the Ankers 10,000mAh battery pack with a leather holster when my batter gets down to 40 percent
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 04-18-15 at 11:27 AM.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-18-15 10:27 AM
    I asked for evidence of your statement "that is a trade-off BlackBerry calculated" - you provided none unfortunately. Try a battery pack and a fully charged extra battery and I think you will see the problem. The Classic (q20) will not last a day with moderate use.

So to users like myself it is a not professional product without the ability to take a replacement battery. Which is why I state that BB ignores their customer base. Apple has iTunes, Android has Apps. What does BB have?

And I started with the 950.
    04-18-15 10:29 AM
    I understand the ramifications, but not their thinking.
    04-18-15 10:31 AM
    And when the battery degrades (as they do) and you need to charge during the day? This is the key concern that professional users have.
    Battery degradation is actually due to corrosion of the internal contacts. Older batteries suffered from this a lot more than modern batteries. Has to do with the smoothness of the internal contacts on initial construction. Leads to less uneven corrosion. My Q10 battery was just as good a year and a half of use later than it was in the beginning (obviously not 100%, but close enough that I couldn't notice a difference). The 9900 is a different story. That tiny 1300mah battery sucked to begin with, after a year it's unusable... I had to swap batteries with the 9900, sometimes had to recharge the Q10 toward the end of the day, the Classic lasts me an entire day no problem. If making it removable would decrease the capacity, then no thanks.

Edit: Also, long-press the comment you're replying to and select reply with quote so we know who you are replying to. Otherwise, if it's not too much trouble, start your replies with @name. :-)

eduzojordan likes this.
    04-18-15 10:56 AM
    http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2015/...berry-classic/
    04-18-15 11:04 AM
    The whole market shifts to non-removable batteries, so BlackBerry seems not to be alone with that 'stupid' decision.

The argument that after 3-5y the battery might not work properly anymore is a valid point. From a market perspective it seems not to be relevant anymore, as phones have now a renew cycle of ~2y.

Posted via CB10
    eduzojordan and Dirtymike14 like this.
    04-18-15 11:47 AM
    Have you tried the phone? You're complaining about the battery life and yet you have never used it?

Buy a charging battery pack if you're that concerned about battery life. What's the difference between carrying that and extra batteries?
    Have you tried the "charging battery pack"? On a daily basis?? Can you recommend one YOU have actually tried, on a daily basis???

I've been NOwhere near satisfied with any i've tried but i've not tried them all. Dean's suggestion "works" but sacrifices OEM form factor. OK for emergencies but not OK for some of us. Go live 24/7 availability with wires or appendages attached at odd times of day and you'll see what some of us are talking about.

Like Slagman said, Classic's endurance is twice that of 9900 and quite a bit greater than Q10 but BB claims the fixed battery added 15% battery capacity. What are the motives for the non-removable battery - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

They also confirmed paratek config which likely contributes significantly to Classic's endurance in addition to the 15% larger battery. Does the Classic employ Paratek configuration? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

I, personally, find it easier to carry a spare 9900 to backup my Classic, than messing with unpredictable external charge packs. That said, this IS a Classic forum. Classic is what it is. Consumer grade, IMO. Maybe SOME day we'll get a pro grade device. Till then, we at least get a BB10 toolbelt device.
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    04-18-15 12:35 PM

1. Non-removable battery

The most thing i like it in the classic is the trackpad, its something you can't find it in any device and company.

But i dream to have a blackberry classic with 3450 mAh battry , 13 mpixel rear camera , 5 mpixel front camera , i will not care about any thing else.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-18-15 12:50 PM
    I've never tried the whole charger pack thing. I'm sure it's not very convenient... With the Q10, if I knew I would be using the phone extensively one day, I just charge it every chance I get where I'm not actively using it. Such as during commutes, I have it plugged into the car charger...

04-18-15 12:51 PM
    I hear ya. Got trackpad on Bold 9900 which is why we'll stick with it (and a 957 as a backup with 10-day standby time)

The most thing i like it in the classic is the trackpad, its something you can't find it in any device and company.

But i dream to have a blackberry classic with 3450 mAh battry , 13 mpixel rear camera , 5 mpixel front camera , i will not care about any thing else.
    04-18-15 01:31 PM
    It is a pain in the *** but when it get down to 30% you have to do something when you are not in your car. I generally just leave it (battery pack) in the car unless I'm playing card and know I will be sitting more than 6 hours. About 5-8 hour into the game I'll check the battery level. and then hook up the battery pack. I don't like to charge my phone off the wall sockets as these phones are to valuable to leave unattended.

It is what it is. I'm just living with it.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 04-18-15 at 03:43 PM.
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    04-18-15 01:33 PM
    Good call. You're lucky your Classic lasts all day for you usage profile.

Battery degradation is actually due to corrosion of the internal contacts. Older batteries suffered from this a lot more than modern batteries. Has to do with the smoothness of the internal contacts on initial construction. Leads to less uneven corrosion. My Q10 battery was just as good a year and a half of use later than it was in the beginning (obviously not 100%, but close enough that I couldn't notice a difference). The 9900 is a different story. That tiny 1300mah battery sucked to begin with, after a year it's unusable... I had to swap batteries with the 9900, sometimes had to recharge the Q10 toward the end of the day, the Classic lasts me an entire day no problem. If making it removable would decrease the capacity, then no thanks.

Edit: Also, long-press the comment you're replying to and select reply with quote so we know who you are replying to. Otherwise, if it's not too much trouble, start your replies with @name. :-)

04-18-15 01:34 PM
    Yes, PITB and not acceptable to clients or patients. "Dude cannot even charge his phone, why would I trust him with ...". Classic is a bit of a failure and could have been significantly better with less design dithering.

It is a pain in the *** but when it get down to 30% you have to do something when you are not in your car. I generally just leave it in the car unless I'm playing card and know I will be sitting more than 6 hours. About 5-8 hour into the game I'll check the battery level. and then hook up the battery pack. I don't like to charge my phone off the wall sockets as these phones are to valuable to leave unattended.
    04-18-15 01:35 PM
90 123 ...