I have been playing around Snap. I tried Cobalts play store too. But now I use snap.

Which one do you prefer the most?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 04:38 AM
    I use snap and the google play store. depends on the app
    07-15-15 05:45 AM
    I use snap and the google play store. depends on the app
    I agree with this. I prefer both of them over the Amazon App Store.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-15-15 06:06 AM
    Snap on my phone doesn't show all the apps in the store. I never figured out why. I made a thread seeking a solution and what I learned was that I'm not the only person experiencing this problem.

On another bb10 phone of mine, Snap show all the apps in the store. Strange.

Some time ago, I installed Cobalt's Play Store, I see all the apps now. I haven't used Snap since.
    Plus, Cobalt's Play Store has the advantage of allowing you to buy paid apps

There is a chart someplace in here showing the feature comparison between Snap and Cobalt's PS. In a nutshell, Cobalt's PS does everything that Snap does, plus more. I'll see if I can find that chart.

+++ Edit +++:

I found it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11546374
    TPallantzas and Avenzuno like this.
    07-15-15 08:14 AM
    What I typically do is first check if the app I want is on Amazon AppStore, that way there is a good chance that the app from amazon won't have google dependencies (vs that same app from Google Play). If the app doesn't exist on Amazon, I then use Cobalt's Play Store.

Snap to me is like the fifth wheel that has gone flat, although in its defense, it still works fine for most people.

If you want to test if your Snap is showing all the apps or not, search for British Airways. It's one of the apps that it fails to find on my z30. If you don't see it, then Snap is broken on your phone too. If the app is shown in Snap, then you are probably OK.
    07-15-15 08:25 AM
    I use Snap. It suits my needs, it's native, stores the APKs for me and doesn't give me notifications about updates.

It's never not found an app I've looked for but if it does I'd look at Google play.

But I suppose either works.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    07-15-15 09:02 AM
    The problem with Google Play is you have to load other apps to make it work. I was using only 600mb of RAM with Snap, load Google Play and it used 1.2gb of RAM even after I deleted Snap it still used over 1gb. Deleted the Google apps and I'm back to using 600mb of RAM

These charts represent running optimizer and clean master then rebooting the phone to clear cache.

Snap or Cobalt' Play Store-img_20150713_192211.png
    Snap or Cobalt' Play Store-img_20150714_200108.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 07-15-15 at 11:23 AM.
    07-15-15 11:05 AM
    re: RAM usage with Play Store installed:

I just rebooted my z30 and checked RAM usage. 1.12 GB used. 922 MB free remaining. Running the Play Store at this point doesn't increase the RAM usage by much, only 20 MB.

I would be interested in finding out if I'd be getting the same results in amount of RAM being freed after I uninstalled Google Play and related, but since I like G Play on my phone, and 922 MB remaining is more than I need personally, I don't feel like uninstalling it and reinstalling it just for the sake of the experiment. Still, it's interesting info you have provided.
    07-15-15 12:33 PM
    People seem to mix up RAM with SD space. Play Store uses 17 MB Of RAM (volatile) when it runs and 0 MB when it is closed. The installation files permanently use around 26 MB of available space on the internal SD card.

You can verify that in Blackberry App Manager -> Device Monitor -> RAM (volatile) and Blackberry App Manager -> Device Monitor -> Memory (SD).

Don't really get the point of this discussion.
    07-15-15 01:18 PM
    People seem to mix up RAM with SD space. Play Store uses 17 MB Of RAM (volatile) when it runs and 0 MB when it is closed. The installation files permanently use around 26 MB of available space on the internal SD card.

You can verify that in Blackberry App Manager -> Device Monitor -> RAM (volatile) and Blackberry App Manager -> Device Monitor -> Memory (SD).

Don't really get the point of this discussion.

Cobalt, I too at first thought "Mr4aces" was mixing up RAM with non-volatile storage, but looking at his print-screens, they indicate 2 GB of total RAM ( 2,147,483,648 B [I'm assuming "B" that's Bytes]; That's 2 GB). 2 GB, given the size, must be RAM.

According to his two print-screens, the used RAM went from 1.5 GB down to 0.97. I'm assuming that's 'with Play Store', and then 'without', respectively.
    07-15-15 02:14 PM
    Imagine if that was so, what would that much RAM be allocated for? That's ridiculous. BlackBerry has quite a good memory management and device monitor doesn't lie, does it?
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    07-15-15 02:35 PM
    All I know is I had to load 5 Google Apps by the time I got done to get Google maps to work. Google Play. I "think" it has to with what runs. In the background or when minimized most of the Goggle apps need to run all the time.

Don't know for sure.

I ran the optimumizer at least 3 times when google play was on my device and re booted after each application. Then I took a screen shot.

I removed the Google apps, Gmaps and 2 other apps that I loaded through Gplay. Ran optimumizer, re booted and snap shot.

I removed Gplay because it ran the native BlackBerry apps slower than before.

I would love to have Gplay if I could control the amount of memory being used. Maybe I loaded it wrong or something. Don't know.

I did a wipe prior to getting Goggle apps to work, auto loaed the OS update and had problems. It seem to eat up memory faster so I was rebooting in the middle of the day.

Before Gplay, I only shut down at night after running Clean Master and RAM Optimumizer.

BTW I have all my apps turn off to run in the background when possible.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 07-15-15 at 05:32 PM.
    07-15-15 03:03 PM
    re: RAM usage with Play Store installed:

I just rebooted my z30 and checked RAM usage. 1.12 GB used. 922 MB free remaining. Running the Play Store at this point doesn't increase the RAM usage by much, only 20 MB.

I would be interested in finding out if I'd be getting the same results in amount of RAM being freed after I uninstalled Google Play and related, but since I like G Play on my phone, and 922 MB remaining is more than I need personally, I don't feel like uninstalling it and reinstalling it just for the sake of the experiment. Still, it's interesting info you have provided.
    Yes I'm using close to the same amount of memory with Gplay 1.12gb vs 1.16gb.

Edit: my IMF and nuance file are removed except the English bar files and Assistant in English works

1g is plenty of RAM, but when using a Gplay app it used up the memory faster so I had to re boot. The apk apps I now use don't reqire Gplay to be on the device to run. i.e. bank apps
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 07-16-15 at 05:34 AM.
    07-15-15 05:14 PM
    You are still mixing the two up. Memory and RAM are the same. IMF and nusance files use up storage space NOT your RAM (memory)

Posted via CB10
    JAS0NB0URNE likes this.
    07-15-15 10:59 PM
    Yes that is right it is in storage and is activated by what language you choose. And I did confuse the storage in the post above. Must had a brain ###t.

Just providing all the information about how my OS was loaded.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 07-16-15 at 11:21 AM.
    07-16-15 05:31 AM
    All I know is I had to load 5 Google Apps by the time I got done to get Google maps to work. Google Play. I "think" it has to with what runs. In the background or when minimized most of the Goggle apps need to run all the time.

Don't know for sure.

I ran the optimumizer at least 3 times when google play was on my device and re booted after each application. Then I took a screen shot.

I removed the Google apps, Gmaps and 2 other apps that I loaded through Gplay. Ran optimumizer, re booted and snap shot.

I removed Gplay because it ran the native BlackBerry apps slower than before.

I would love to have Gplay if I could control the amount of memory being used. Maybe I loaded it wrong or something. Don't know.

I did a wipe prior to getting Goggle apps to work, auto loaed the OS update and had problems. It seem to eat up memory faster so I was rebooting in the middle of the day.

Before Gplay, I only shut down at night after running Clean Master and RAM Optimumizer.

BTW I have all my apps turn off to run in the background when possible.

Posted via CB10
    I would like to see you get Google Maps to work without installing any of those 5 Google Apps. You are obviously confusing different apps for Google Play Services and patching Apps and white listing apps with the app stores themselves. Which Snap doesn't do any of the above. So in other words if you installed an app which required Google Play Services or Google+ Login support to work and you downloaded it from either Snap or Google Play Store you would still need to install the other dependent apps and patch the apps for them to work.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 09:51 AM
    I'm a Snap girl.

Posted via my White Passport
    07-16-15 10:14 AM
    I would like to see you get Google Maps to work without installing any of those 5 Google Apps. You are obviously confusing different apps for Google Play Services and patching Apps and white listing apps with the app stores themselves. Which Snap doesn't do any of the above. So in other words if you installed an app which required Google Play Services or Google+ Login support to work and you downloaded it from either Snap or Google Play Store you would still need to install the other dependent apps and patch the apps for them to work.

Posted via CB10
    Also deleted Google Maps. Using BlackBerry maps

You are correct won't work without all the apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 11:19 AM
    You are still mixing the two up. Memory and RAM are the same. IMF and nusance files use up storage space NOT your RAM (memory)

Posted via CB10
    Actually, you young pups always get that wrong. Memory refers to both RAM and ROM. That is, it refers to both RAM sticks and Hard Drives (be them SSD or spinning disk)

07-16-15 11:57 AM
    Actually, you young pups always get that wrong. Memory refers to both RAM and ROM. That is, it refers to both RAM sticks and Hard Drives (be them SSD or spinning disk)

Who you calling young pup.
    07-16-15 08:11 PM
    Imagine if that was so, what would that much RAM be allocated for? That's ridiculous. BlackBerry has quite a good memory management and device monitor doesn't lie, does it?
    When I add up all the memory used by each item listed in the Memory Usage of the Device Monitor, it doesn't add up to the total used amount. Total memory used is about 400 MB more than when the individual items are added up. Memory Usage not listing something that is using memory?

In any case, I wanted to know if deleting the Play Store and related from my phone would cause memory usage to drop by what Mr4aces reported, so I temporarily deleted the items. My memory usage dropped by 40 MB. Not even close to what Mr4aces reported. I guess that the Play Store has an insignificant foot print after all
    07-17-15 09:01 AM
    When I add up all the memory used by each item listed in the Memory Usage of the Device Monitor, it doesn't add up to the total used amount. Total memory used is about 400 MB more than when the individual items are added up. Memory Usage not listing something that is using memory?

In any case, I wanted to know if deleting the Play Store and related from my phone would cause memory usage to drop by what Mr4aces reported, so I temporarily deleted the items. My memory usage dropped by 40 MB. Not even close to what Mr4aces reported. I guess that the Play Store has an insignificant foot print after all
    Did you do a hard re boot after deleting them? Try it again it will definitely drop more that 40mb. It is not only the initial memory it uses up it is the memory it requires to run when you open different apps like the voice activated Gapps.

There is not doubt that Gmaps is better than BBmaps. Maybe some day all this talk of android all flow together. My concern with future BBOS is it will require 2gb to run and BlackBerry will limit which phones can have the up dates because of the hardware.

It really doesn't matter. If your happy with your device with Gplay stay it it.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 10:48 AM
    Mr4aces is not qualified to make any valuable statements about memory usage. His statements about Google apps using a lot of RAM are complete nonsense.
    so crow and JAS0NB0URNE like this.
    07-17-15 10:57 AM
    Hey I don't mean to ###s you off. I would love to run Gplay and all the Gapps. I just know for "my Classic" it bogged down and I was rebooting it. I came from th 9900 and didn't want that again. It won't happen to most people because they don't push the phone to limits. I should have screen shot more info for you to review before I removed it. I had all kinds of problems loading all the Gapps and getting it to work. If it is possible to load it wrong or duplicate it I might have done that. I don't know. At one point I even tried moving it (them) to the SD with Clean Master. I tinkered with this for 2-3 days installing and uninstalling then installing and finally uninstalling. Just to make sure. I tried with and without Snap on the device. I even went though the trouble of a wipe and reinstalled everything to see if I could get the usage down.

And yes I'm not qualified to technical analyze what happen on my device, but the screen shots show a drop. Without the Gapps I have 1.5gb available before running anything. With Gplay apps I gave less than 900mg.

If Gplay works for most great and thank you for providing another avenue to load apks. I already have a 9900 that I'm using for a work phone, so I need the Classic to be my all around phone with the limited hardware it has.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 07-17-15 at 11:31 AM.
    07-17-15 11:15 AM
    Don't get me wrong, but just the OS with it's basic features requires at least 700 MB of RAM. So a RAM value of 1.3 GB is possible right after a reboot, but never 1.5 GB (maybe if the Android runtime was not initialized). But as soon as you run any app, memory parts are allocated and background services are started. This results in around 900 MB of free RAM on a 2GB device.
    07-17-15 11:25 AM
39 12