+1

I don't mind the combined port that there should definitely be a second port so USB and video out can both be used without the need for wireless technologies (bluetooth, miracast, etc.). They do work but I would prefer the choice as wired appears to work better in my experiences.

Posted via CB10
    The whole point of a combined port is that it takes up less valuable space in the handset, so adding another USB port defeats that purpose.

Bluetooth really has gotten very easy and reliable, especially on the BB10 devices.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome PASSPORT(!) 2BDDB50E
    10-16-14 12:25 AM
    Well then, I suppose another option is to move to Miracast. While I prefer direct cables, I have tried it a few times and to say it "works" is sufficient approbation.

To use OTG, does one use existing OTG adapters?

One thing that has me spoiled to my Verizon Z30 is Qi charger. This allows one to charge while the Z30 sends video and access OTG at the same time. However this is presently moot point with respect to Verizon.

Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, existing OTG adapters work.

10-16-14 12:28 AM
    The whole point of a combined port is that it takes up less valuable space in the handset, so adding another USB port defeats that purpose.

Bluetooth really has gotten very easy and reliable, especially on the BB10 devices.

I don't disagree as I believe bluetooth works issue free with the BB10 phones. Earlier I used an example where a Xbox controller is required to connect hard wired and miracast lags so it makes it difficult to use.

That aside let's say Passport is not for gaming. What if a person requires a dongle be plugged into a USB to support a "clicker" for a presentation. And what if the presentation is media intensive and miracast doesn't cut it because of the lag.

What if the customers equipment doesn't support miracast but does have wired hdmi capabilities?

My feeling is we should have choice and flexibility when using accessories with our phones for work and play.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 12:32 AM
    Actually yes, I do think no name makers use better hardware. No name makers differentiate themselves by having good hardware. Hence you will find quad cores androids for as little as $100. They never advertise so all that money goes into making the high specs. All those big companies spend billions in marketing. They make you think you have something awesome, but you don't.

lol

Posted via CB10
    You obviously must think "no name" means something different than I do. I'm talking about the China phones that show up for sell on websites and in flea markets with literally no brand name attached to them at all.

I'm talking about phones like this:
    Slimport...even better than Mini HDMI-screenshot_2014-10-16-08-12-19.jpg
    10-16-14 07:13 AM
    I don't disagree as I believe bluetooth works issue free with the BB10 phones. Earlier I used an example where a Xbox controller is required to connect hard wired and miracast lags so it makes it difficult to use.

That aside let's say Passport is not for gaming. What if a person requires a dongle be plugged into a USB to support a "clicker" for a presentation. And what if the presentation is media intensive and miracast doesn't cut it because of the lag.

What if the customers equipment doesn't support miracast but does have wired hdmi capabilities?

My feeling is we should have choice and flexibility when using accessories with our phones for work and play.

Posted via CB10
    There are Bluetooth presentation remotes, you know...
    10-17-14 12:55 AM
    Yes I am aware there are blue tooth presentation remotes however I would prefer to have the option to choose between wired or wireless technologies for both USB and video outputs.

The Z30 allows us to choose to hardwire with both USB and HDMI, either or neither I feel it is limiting to have to choose one or the other. I am not saying their aren't other options to make it work or that they can't be effective, I just prefer the choice.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 01:26 AM
    The fact that it supports VGA is a pretty big deal because there are A LOT of projectors out there still that don't support HDMI. Also charging at the same time is pretty great, as you essentially get all the benefits (apart from a few very specific situations) of having two ports with only one. That means one less thing to potentially break down, one less place for dust to collect, and a better look for the phone.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    10-17-14 05:53 AM
    The fact that it supports VGA is a pretty big deal because there are A LOT of projectors out there still that don't support HDMI. Also charging at the same time is pretty great, as you essentially get all the benefits (apart from a few very specific situations) of having two ports with only one. That means one less thing to potentially break down, one less place for dust to collect, and a better look for the phone.

JB

This is why I think have 2 ports with at least one being a Slimport can future proof a device while making it "backwards compatible" with older hardware, an example being projectors without HDMI support.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 11:08 AM
    I can't figure out how this is any different than before.

How can you, on a z30, charge the phone while it is also using USB OTG?
    And if you can, why would that not also work with a slim port?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 12:33 PM
    I can't figure out how this is any different than before.

How can you, on a z30, charge the phone while it is also using USB OTG?
    And if you can, why would that not also work with a slim port?
    On the Z30 you can plug in to an external monitor AND use USB OTG (eg. a usb keyboard or mouse or flash drive).
    You cannot do this on Passport.

Also, you could always connect to VGA with a micro HDMI (eg. on Z30) as well. Not a new feature with slimport. Adapter seems to cost more though.
    10-17-14 12:36 PM
    On the Z30 you can plug in to an external monitor AND use USB OTG (eg. a usb keyboard or mouse or flash drive).

Also, you could always connect to VGA with a micro HDMI (eg. on Z30) as well. Not a new feature with slimport. Adapter seems to cost more though.
    On the Z30 you can plug in to an external monitor AND use USB OTG (eg. a usb keyboard AND mouse AND flash drive)... if you use USB hub.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 01:52 PM
    This is why I think have 2 ports with at least one being a Slimport can future proof a device while making it "backwards compatible" with older hardware, an example being projectors without HDMI support.

Posted via CB10
    The whole idea of slimport is to remove the need for two ports. It's both future proof and backwards compatible at the same time.

JB

10-17-14 01:59 PM
    The whole idea of slimport is to remove the need for two ports. It's both future proof and backwards compatible at the same time.

JB

I think makes a lot of sense if wireless technology (specifically for video) catches up enough to make it a viable option. In my experience with Miracast it just isn't there quite yet, certain situations have lag which isn't acceptable for my needs.

If Miracast work as I wished the angle Slimport would be more than sufficient. Until than I need the port to hardwire video and than have no choice for USB and must use bluetooth which I think is limited to one device connection at a time.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 02:22 PM

Yes, I understand that, but that isn't what I asked. It was stated that before, with a z30 you could charge and use USB OTG at the same time. How has that changed with slim port?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:54 PM
    if you use USB hub.
    No hub required on Z30.
    Can stick video cable directly in (micro HDMI to HDMI) and can stick flash drive directly in (micro usb) for eg.

For Passport, they have combined two ports in to one but this has not kept the same functions. You can now only do one of those above tasks at the same time instead of two. And yes, the adapters cost more. There is nothing 'extra' you can do with this port that you couldn't do before. Arguably, you can charge and send video on the same cord instead of two but that's it.
    10-17-14 04:19 PM
    I think makes a lot of sense if wireless technology (specifically for video) catches up enough to make it a viable option. In my experience with Miracast it just isn't there quite yet, certain situations have lag which isn't acceptable for my needs.

If Miracast work as I wished the angle Slimport would be more than sufficient. Until than I need the port to hardwire video and than have no choice for USB and must use bluetooth which I think is limited to one device connection at a time.

Posted via CB10
    But, you can use the SlimPort for video output (because I agree that Miracast is probably the most glitch-prone of the wireless technologies we're looking at here), and use wireless mouse, kb, and even storage for your presentation with no lag or other disadvantage.

Yes, I get that the choice of wired or wireless is being taken away from you, but in return you're getting wireless controls that will likely offer you much more flexibility in a variety of different settings.
    10-17-14 04:26 PM
    But, you can use the SlimPort for video output (because I agree that Miracast is probably the most glitch-prone of the wireless technologies we're looking at here), and use wireless mouse, kb, and even storage for your presentation with no lag or other disadvantage.

Yes, I get that the choice of wired or wireless is being taken away from you, but in return you're getting wireless controls that will likely offer you much more flexibility in a variety of different settings.
    I can get those wireless options as it is now witht the Z30 unless I am missing something. As I see it the single port limits the possibilities.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:36 PM
    So you can't plug a USB OTG adapter into the Slimport adapter?

Or you can but then you cannot also use a Y splitter for charging?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 10:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can charge with either USB OTG or video out, but you can't do both USB OTG and video out at the same time.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    10-17-14 11:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can plug USB OTG into Slimport OR a video cord like HDMI by not both at same time. And you cant get Y adapter because the HDMI and USB use the same pins to my understanding so it's one or the other in the single port.

Some Slimports adapters have an external charging capability from what I have seen in my searches.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 11:30 PM
    Okay let me clarify the scenarios. Assume that in all scenarios the Slimport adapter has a microUSB port for charging available. Also assume that when a Slimport adapter is plugged into Passport that it has an active video out connection (HDMI or VGA).

Scenario 1:

Slimport adapter plugged into Passport. USB charger plugged into Slimport adapter.

Expected result: video out and charging

Scenario 2:

Slimport adapter plugged into Passport. USB OTG only plugged into Slimport adapter.

Expected result: video out and USB OTG working

Scenario 3:

Slimport adapter plugged into Passport. USB OTG Y-Splitter charging cable plugged into the Slimport microusb port. USB device plugged into one part of Y cable. USB charger plugged into other part of Y cable.

Expected result: video out and USB OTG and charging

For comparison, no BlackBerry 10 device has been able to use HDMI, USB OTG, and charging. Would be great if this has changed.

Edit: did some more research and I'm not a fan of this Slimport. It doesn't support USB data while in Slimport mode. They should have stuck with the old dual port and fixed the charging issue, or just used MHL 11pin which should be able to do OTG+Charge+Video

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by peter0328; 10-17-14 at 11:52 PM.
    10-17-14 11:38 PM
    This is a welcomed change in my opinion.

Most phone makers have made the jump to slimport or another solution already. My Nexus 4 had slimport a couple of years ago and it wasn't even the first phone to offer it. I always thought that the HDMI port on BB10 devices was kind of a ghetto solution. The extra port being right next to the charge port was a pain and the only manufactures who still use a separate video out port besides BlackBerry are the generic Android OEMs from China.

I for one, am happy to see that BlackBerry is finally leaving the HDMI port out and adopting the better slimport solution.
    I liked the micro HDMI port. Not ghetto...just powerful.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 12:15 AM
47 12