First of all, the classic will have HDMI via the slimport but not only that, slimport also supports VGA.

So, there. For all of you concerned, the classic will in fact be able to connect to projectors and large screens, and in fact, even more of them

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and Xenolock like this.
    10-15-14 09:39 AM
    VGA and HDMI, I like that. No more pattern generator to carry around when going on a service call !
    Xenolock and Mr4aces like this.
    10-15-14 09:48 AM
    I've seen HDMI to SVGA adaptors. Wouldn't those do the trick anyway?
    10-15-14 09:54 AM
    This is a welcomed change in my opinion.

Most phone makers have made the jump to slimport or another solution already. My Nexus 4 had slimport a couple of years ago and it wasn't even the first phone to offer it. I always thought that the HDMI port on BB10 devices was kind of a ghetto solution. The extra port being right next to the charge port was a pain and the only manufactures who still use a separate video out port besides BlackBerry are the generic Android OEMs from China.

I for one, am happy to see that BlackBerry is finally leaving the HDMI port out and adopting the better slimport solution.
    10-15-14 09:59 AM
    What current TV's and projectors don't have HDMI?

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    10-15-14 10:21 AM
    What current TV's and projectors don't have HDMI?

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    Well, most of the ones in my company and at my customers!

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:26 AM
    I have a micro HDMI to VGA adapter I use for my tablet. Works fine on my Q10 too.
    LP_Rigg and PantherBlitz like this.
    10-15-14 10:41 AM
    You forget the charging while outputing video - it is a big deal.

Don't think like them - if everyone in the industry is using, that doesn't mean it's better. It usually means it saves them money!

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    10-15-14 10:49 AM
    Exactly!

Also most laptops and tablets use micro hdmi over slimport.

Also gopro, camcorders and digital cameras mostly support micro hdmi.

Slimport is not as "universal" as people think. Its a cheaper solution for manufacturers because less components. It makes using monitor and USB OTG difficult to do at same time

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:57 AM
    And here are the official supported adapters:

BlackBerry US Online Store - SlimPort HDMI Adapter

BlackBerry US Online Store - SlimPort VGA Adapter

You can also find Slimport adapters on Amazon supporting both HDMI and RGB on same dongle
    10-15-14 10:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely! This is mission critical in a lot of situations. I would hate to lose the two separate ports I have now.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    10-15-14 11:03 AM

Don't think like them - if everyone in the industry is using, that doesn't mean it's better. It usually means it saves them money!

Posted via CB10
    ALL of the Slimport adapters I've seen have a micro-USB charging port. And compatible DisplayPort displays will actually charge the device through the same cable that's carrying the video.

It's a slightly different configuration that works out to the same thing.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-15-14 11:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    You should read up on Slimport. It is clear that you don't know what it does.

Let's for one second pretend that a HDMI port on a phone is better than slimport. Well that would mean that BlackBerry and the generic Android device manufacturers are using better hardware components than the likes of LG, Sony, HTC and Samsung for their devices. Do you really think that the no name Android makers are using better hardware components than the big boys are? Really?
    10-15-14 11:16 AM
    If all Slimports have charging port, than problem solved. Like I said in the other thread I didn't know.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 11:19 AM
    Absolutely! This is mission critical in a lot of situations. I would hate to lose the two separate ports I have now.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    My Slimport adapters all have a microUSB charging port available - so I can charge AND use the output at the same time ...
    10-15-14 11:22 AM
    My Slimport adapters all have a microUSB charging port available - so I can charge AND use the output at the same time ...
    Very good to know. Makes me feel better about Slimport.

Do you happen to know if there are Slimport adapters that let you output video, charge and utilize USB-on-the-Go all at the same time?

While I ended up copying the files to the internal microSD card, I often have to output to a large monitor images for an extended period and would like to be able to read them directly, output and charge all at once.
    10-15-14 11:46 AM
    That's a relief!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    10-15-14 12:30 PM
    how is it better if you have to use an adapter to output everything?

can someone explain how it's better than HDMI?
    10-15-14 01:02 PM
    Very good to know. Makes me feel better about Slimport.

Do you happen to know if there are Slimport adapters that let you output video, charge and utilize USB-on-the-Go all at the same time?

While I ended up copying the files to the internal microSD card, I often have to output to a large monitor images for an extended period and would like to be able to read them directly, output and charge all at once.
    Congrats, you have identified the one use case where SlimPort is at a disadvantage.

It can do USB OTG, and it can output video, but it can't do both at the same time. Something about using the same pins.
    10-15-14 01:10 PM
    Count me in as a non-believer. Type slimport in amazon.com search, and take a look at the first three search results--the prices, and the ratings. For at least $10 on an adapter, I expect better than 3.2, 3.2, 4.1 stars.

Now type in micro HDMI cable, and compare the prices and the ratings: 4.5, 4.5, 3.9.
    irweezyy and dmlis like this.
    10-15-14 01:24 PM
    And here are the official supported adapters:
    I guess that's the way its gonna be, but I sure hate paying more than a few bucks for an adapter especially since I already have a micro HDMI "ecosystem"
    10-15-14 03:26 PM

Appears to be why Blackberry are using slimport. It has no licensing or royalty fees whatsoever. This cost is instead hidden in adapter costs, passed on to you, the consumer.

Check out this page and find the odd one out: http://www.slimportconnect.com/slimp...orted-devices/
    Amazon Fire tablets, a small Chromebook, Google Nexus, ZTE Nubias, ...

I don't like combined video/usb ports because manufacturers think this means they don't need a separate usb port now. It removes the possibility, as you have on the Z30, of connecting a usb device (flash drive, mouse, keyboard, another phone/serial device) while outputting over hdmi to a monitor.
    Last edited by xsacha; 10-16-14 at 12:01 AM.
    10-15-14 11:48 PM

I don't like combined video/usb ports because manufacturers think this means they don't need a separate usb port now. It removes the possibility, as you have on the Z30, of connecting a usb device (flash drive, mouse, keyboard, another phone/serial device) while outputting over hdmi to a monitor.
    +1

I don't mind the combined port that there should definitely be a second port so USB and video out can both be used without the need for wireless technologies (bluetooth, miracast, etc.). They do work but I would prefer the choice as wired appears to work better in my experiences.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 11:59 PM
    You should read up on Slimport. It is clear that you don't know what it does.

Let's for one second pretend that a HDMI port on a phone is better than slimport. Well that would mean that BlackBerry and the generic Android device manufacturers are using better hardware components than the likes of LG, Sony, HTC and Samsung for their devices. Do you really think that the no name Android makers are using better hardware components than the big boys are? Really?
    Actually yes, I do think no name makers use better hardware. No name makers differentiate themselves by having good hardware. Hence you will find quad cores androids for as little as $100. They never advertise so all that money goes into making the high specs. All those big companies spend billions in marketing. They make you think you have something awesome, but you don't.

lol

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 12:04 AM
    Congrats, you have identified the one use case where SlimPort is at a disadvantage.

It can do USB OTG, and it can output video, but it can't do both at the same time. Something about using the same pins.
    Well then, I suppose another option is to move to Miracast. While I prefer direct cables, I have tried it a few times and to say it "works" is sufficient approbation.

To use OTG, does one use existing OTG adapters?

One thing that has me spoiled to my Verizon Z30 is Qi charger. This allows one to charge while the Z30 sends video and access OTG at the same time. However this is presently moot point with respect to Verizon.

Thank you for your reply.
    10-16-14 12:13 AM
47 12