Why is it that we don't have something like this? Local search should be available separately from assistant.

I was always a fan of WebOS Just Type
    Attachment 317944
    That's essentially what we had with 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 11:34 AM
    My father has a Q10 and whenever something isn't working perfectly for him he just swipes all around the screen in anger.

Posted via CB10
    LOL - there really aren't that many gestures in BlackBerry 10. The way some tell the story, you'd swear there were 550 of them and that many were tied to specific angles (ie. swipe at 92 degrees and then 96 degrees for a different result), requiring a 300 page manual.

My mother picked it up in about 5 minutes. LOL
    anon(9184750) and dale-c like this.
    12-01-14 11:55 AM
    9900 user pls move on...

CB10 on my Passport
    12-01-14 12:18 PM
    9900 users I mean

CB10 on my Passport
    12-01-14 12:19 PM
    I don't get it. Everything you asked for I can do just fine on my Passport.

- when starting to type from the home screen you can enter all the instant actions you want.
    It even supports way more search engines now: for example type Yelp or eBay followed by string searches that particular service.
    You can select which of the local stuff you want to search: for example contacts, browser history, locations etc. No Internet connection needed for any of the Local stuff.
    You can select all the extended options you want, to instantly open certain apps.
    Not in any part of this is there any Voice Assistant stuff.

-when you open the Search/Assistant icon, it shows a main page with recent history shown at the top as icons.
    From here press "Enter" to start searching, tap the mic for Voice Assistance or tap icons for manual use.

When longpressing the convenience key it opens the Voice prompt for the Assistant. Typing and Voice are still completely separate when using, they just show under the same icon.

Please research how it actually works before making threads like this. And don't base your opinion on non-official leaked OS versions.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    12-01-14 12:33 PM
    yes, i used it a lot on 10.2.1 but on 10.3 i just avoid it!! Its so damn slow
    12-01-14 12:36 PM
    Y'all have in mind that 10.3.1 is still Beta, right ?
    12-01-14 12:42 PM
    Go into the settings and turn off "full assistance "
    This helps me quite a bit actually, thanks for that. I've been feelling a bit plagued by this of late!
    12-01-14 01:07 PM
    LOL - there really aren't that many gestures in BlackBerry 10. The way some tell the story, you'd swear there were 550 of them and that many were tied to specific angles (ie. swipe at 92 degrees and then 96 degrees for a different result), requiring a 300 page manual.

My mother picked it up in about 5 minutes. LOL
    Yeah ik I've got a Z10.
    My father isn't as they say "patient....." or "tech savy"

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 01:21 PM
    Ok - so I'm not the only one who thinks they totally screwed this up in 10.3.1

It is way too slow. I have turned off as many things as possible to make it like 10.2, but still slow. I don't want voice search. I just don't want to flip through three pages of icons and remember where I had the calculator. I'd type "calc", click the icon, and be launched in 1/10 the time. Now, it is probably a toss-up. Definitely don't like the new screen layout, either.
    Why not just stay with 10.2 then?
    12-01-14 03:32 PM
    Yea I much preferred when universal search and voice controls were separated.

Posted via CB10
    The voice controls blowed chunks in previous OS. The fact that even voice controls can search in EMM Balanced BES connected BB10 devices is a big win.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-01-14 04:51 PM
    There are a ton of other improvements in 10.3.1, including almost perfect andriod app support.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 09:52 PM
    The voice controls blowed chunks in previous OS. The fact that even voice controls can search in EMM Balanced BES connected BB10 devices is a big win.
    The power of BlackBerry Assistant is actually pretty good. It's when you use it in typing mode that is too slow.

To be honest, I have done more testing since I created this thread and it is better now. Not sure why. Still a little annoying but better.

Also, on the q10 it is much before so the classic may not be that bad with search.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 09:54 PM
    Yeah, I'm a little confused as well. When I need to find something on my passport, I just type what I'm looking for on the home screen. A universal search pops up and gives me apps, msgs, emails, bbm convos, even the option to look on the internet if it's not there. Granted, I'd love to see a history of the things I've searched for (ie searched for 'grumpy' and clicked 'grumpy cat.png') but the search is fast enough that I'm not really bothered by it.

Is this an issue just in 10.3.1?
    12-01-14 10:19 PM
    I don't know what some here are complaining about either as it confusing to make sense of it. Some had a problem with having tap the text box on all touch devices while others seemed to say it was slow or somehow doesn't work right.

Here on my passport I just start typing from the home screen and the results are pretty instant. I don't see the issue.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 11:28 PM
    Agreed -- definitely a step backward with this OS version. Significantly slower and, sometimes either doesn't catch the first letter or throws in a random one (with me, anyway).

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 12:09 AM
    Are you guys complaint about speed or anything else on official software or is it a leak? If it's a leak I can't believe you guys are complaining.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 09:48 AM
    Now on 10.3.1 you hit search then you have to touch text box, then all is slow, then after 2 seconds keyboard appears, then you can type.

Posted via CB10
    Oh man, what is going on with the brains behind our beloved blackberry company? It pains my soul.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 01:23 PM
    Oh man, what is going on with the brains behind our beloved blackberry company? It pains my soul.

Posted via CB10
    On the keyboard models all you do is start typing from the home screen and you get instant results. Not sure why someone is talking about all touch in the classic forum anyway.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9184750) likes this.
    12-02-14 04:33 PM
    Don't worry. You will love it. 10.3.1 is slowly fixing all of the problems one by one and the new perks overshadow the minor problems by far. For me the return of the ability to launch apps with a single key from legacy devices combined with the power of OS10 make the perfect device. The only thing I still long for that will come with the classic is the return of the physical hangup key. I need to KNOW when I hang up the phone it is hung up. (with my Q10, I rely on the physical hangup on my steering wheel connected via bluetooth to my phone as much as possible.)

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 06:36 AM
    Why can't I search for apps?
    Would be real handy for apps placed in folders.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 09:06 AM
    Using Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.1151 the BlackBerry Assistant begins typing instantly. I don't see the problem you guys are having. It's just as fast as 10.2.XXXX with more customisation

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 09:08 AM
    Using Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.1151 the BlackBerry Assistant begins typing instantly. I don't see the problem you guys are having. It's just as fast as 10.2.XXXX with more customisation

Posted via CB10
    That's not the issue I have with it. The long list of recent searches is what I miss about it.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 09:10 AM
    I usually have an issue when I first open it after it hasn't been used for a while, I have to restart it and it works just fine after that

Posted via CB10
    12-03-14 09:12 AM
    There are plenty of other changes I do like.

On the keyboard models all you do is start typing from the home screen and you get instant results.
    Well, you start typing and by the time the assistant finishes launching you are about 3 or 4 letters ahead of it, inevitably missing a couple, and then you have to backspace and correct the search term before getting the, ahem, "instant" results.

Maybe we should be finding out how fast people type? I'll bet it wouldn't be a problem if I typed much, much slower. Will do some experiments.
    12-03-14 09:39 AM
88 1234