If one isn't a long-time BlackBerry user, is the Classic worth it relative to the Q10?

I.e. if I'm not addicted to the toolbar, it seems like the only advantage of the Classic is that it has a bigger screen. Also it costs a lot more. Are those the two major differences (that aren't the toolbar?)

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 11:12 PM
    If you don't need the toolbar or the bigger screen, there's not really any advantage to buying it, really. You could highlight 10.3.1 but that'll be coming to the Q10 soon anyway. Bigger battery? One could say it's a better device overall but I suppose that comes down to personal opinion.
    01-18-15 11:23 PM
    The Classic will receive OS updates for a longer time than the q10 will.

I cannot quote this, but i believe that I read the z10/q10/z5/z30/z3 will all have the final version of the software at 10.3.1, which is what the classic ships with.
    01-18-15 11:23 PM
    Never thought I would be saying this, but I "think" I might be able to get along without the tool belt.

The Q10 might be a good 2nd device to carry in you shirt pocket when listening to music. I have a small Sony Walkman that I like to use because it is small.
    Or use it as a personal phone.

I'm liking this Classic really well. I will say it has taken me a long time to set it up and learn how to use it to the limit.

Small things like learning to adapt to the top heavy weight and balancing it with small hands vs the 9900.

Don't know if you can one hand the Q10 because of gestures are needed. Can you one hand this device? If you can it would definitely be an advantage.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    01-18-15 11:36 PM
    I am not a long time BlackBerry user. I had a Q10 about 18 months ago but sold it to purchase an iPhone 5S when it was released.

I really liked the phone in general although a few things really bugged and the app gap was huge back then. I always thought that BB10 had a lot of potential.

Now, my 5S is wearing down and I found myself tempted by the Classic. Since I'm not addicted to the toolbar, I instead bought a used Q10 and installed 10.3.1 on it. Just curious if I made the right decision.

(maybe some other time I'll post my impressions on the progress BlackBerry has made in the last 18 months.)

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 11:44 PM

I cannot quote this, but i believe that I read the z10/q10/z5/z30/z3 will all have the final version of the software at 10.3.1, which is what the classic ships with.
    A leaked version of BB10.3.2072 is available for the Q10 and other Z's

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 11:45 PM
    May I ask if the "bigger screen" is actually all that useful over the Q10 screen?

#CB10 #glassweave #qwerty
    01-18-15 11:48 PM
    May I ask if the "bigger screen" is actually all that useful over the Q10 screen?

Ahhhhh! The question I've been afraid to ask. Looking forward to the answer /opinion.
    01-19-15 12:08 AM

No!
    The Q10 got a removable battery and an amoled screen. It looks modern without the toolbelt.
    01-19-15 12:53 AM

The bigger screen is actually quite useful IMO. Although it doesn't really more content compared to the Q, you can read everything better. The lower ppi is IMHO only barely noticeable. Another nice plus is the fact this is a LCD screen, which is not only much brighter on the long end, but also dimmer on the low end.

The bigger battery however isn't a huge plus for me. My Classic only lasts slightly longer than my Q10. Let's say at the end of a typical day my Classic resides at 25%-35% my Q10 sits at 20%.

Keyboard is much more enjoyable, which doesn't mean the Q10 has a bad keyboard though! The Classic's keys are slightly wider, which makes typing more comfortable. They are also shaped higher and are more raised, the new tactile feedback is pretty awesome and IMO a huge plus over the Q10. It is louder though, which might be noteworthy for some folks.

At the end of the day, if you do not really need the toolbelt and trackpad, are fine with the smaller screen, I am not sure whether the upgrade to the Classic is worth it. As already said, the keyboard is, at least for me, a real joy to use, the bigger battery however more or less only compensates for the bigger screen.

Also keep in mind the Classic isn't actually the most compact device, it is as large as a typical 4.5" candy bar device. The Q10 on the other hand is pretty compact and lightweight, it fits in virtually every pocket and allows a sure grip even with small hands.

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A and Mr4aces like this.
    01-19-15 01:27 AM

I've gotta say 'yes' to this question. Love my Q10 but I certainly do enjoy the larger screen on the Classic. I could do w/o the toolbelt though, as I never really use it. That area where the belt is could be utilized better (IMHO) for a larger screen in the same size overall package. It's redundant and- dare I say- unnecessary. Everything you can do on the 'belt', you can do on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-19-15 07:03 AM
    If only the Q10 had LCD screen i wouldnt have sold it before. The Q10 screen is so dim. It was a refreshing feeling when i got this classic. I hardly use the toolbelt and can do without it. But since its already there, i dont mind having it. Couldnt be happier with this classic.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-19-15 07:42 AM

They all have the same processor and OS version as the Classic, and will continue to get updates as long as the Classic does. The one exception is the Z3 with its (only) 1.5GB of ram which might be an issue going forward.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-19-15 07:55 AM
    never had a Q, was using Z 10 and 30. Now I have the Classic I like it and I almost never use the screen. some app doesn't work well with the pad. If I can avoid using the screen it is all good to me
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-19-15 08:02 AM
    They all have the same processor and OS version as the Classic, and will continue to get updates as long as the Classic does. The one exception is the Z3 with its (only) 1.5GB of ram which might be an issue going forward.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Sharing the same internal specs vs. receiving updates could prove being a different issue. Even though they share the same specs, BlackBerry might act like an *** and decides to ditch further updates for existing devices. I hope this won't be the case, since it would generate quite some negative press, but it is not impossible.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 10:38 AM
    Sharing the same internal specs vs. receiving updates could prove being a different issue. Even though they share the same specs, BlackBerry might act like an *** and decides to ditch further updates for existing devices. I hope this won't be the case, since it would generate quite some negative press, but it is not impossible.

Posted via CB10
    Worst case: fire up Sachesi!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-19-15 10:45 AM
    I just got my new Classic. I was really excited at first, but less so after a couple of days using it, coming from the Q10. Most of my complains are actually with the new 10.3.1 OS, which I think is a step backward compare to 10.2.1 (UI wise), specially its Calendar app, which is a big thing for me. However, with regards to the device itself, here is the summary of what I think:

1- The screen is bigger and brighter than Q10 , but the difference is not as much as I had hoped.

2- The keyboard is a little easier to type on, but there are gaps between the keys and also the toolbelt and the screen, letting the light through from under the keybaord, which is annoying at night and makes the device feel a little cheap (despite being heavy and sturdy).

3- The device is heating up and battery drains very fast. It might be because of the early settling in period, but I didn't see anything as bad in the Q10 or the Z30. In 3 hours the battery went from 100% to 30%, just sitting idle. I am going to give it more time, it hopefully gets better, but I am a little worried.

4- The back cover has an okay grip, but it does not feel as premium as the Q10. I was expecting more of a rubbery type material, but it has more of a plasticy feel.

5- As for the toolbelt, well, I don't seem to be using it much, as I am used to the BB10 gestures. But, maybe I start liking it if I learn to use it more.

Overall, not impressed with the Classic (yet). Since getting the Classic, I appreciate my Q10 more. I am going to give Classic more time to grow on me, but so far the Q10 is the clear winner for me. Its form factor is hard to beat!
    JedN3d likes this.
    01-19-15 10:23 PM
    Yeah, the Calendar is quite bad, childish even. Dots and squares, really? Tells me VERY little about the day's schedule.
    01-20-15 07:18 AM
    BiuyfcTc
    01-20-15 09:56 AM
    If one isn't a long-time BlackBerry user, is the Classic worth it relative to the Q10?

I.e. if I'm not addicted to the toolbar, it seems like the only advantage of the Classic is that it has a bigger screen. Also it costs a lot more. Are those the two major differences (that aren't the toolbar?)
    The device has many subtle differences other than the tool belt. Battery lasts longer, keypad is slightly larger and easier to type mistake free/faster, it's quicker - tho the processor is the same (?), massive screen by comparison. OS has a few more tweaks that are better. Also, the camera functionality is significantly better. And, the toolbelt with the back and select (block/copy/paste) functionality is much better.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 09:20 PM
    IMO the Classic Keyboard is more BlackBerry than Q10, never liked the keyboard on the Q10

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 09:30 PM
    Had the Q10 (also Z10) and now own the Classic. I prefer the Classic because:

LCD screen. Crisp and better than the amoled on Q10

Keyboard is much better on the Classic and I type a LOT.

Battery life on my Classic is better than my Q10

Android apps seem to run better than on my Q10 which has the 10.3.0.1154 leak.

I like the weight and feel of the Classic better than the Q10. I have small hands but manage quite well with the Classic. I loved the Bold 9900 and this phone just brings that love back for me.

Posted via Classic
    rawat_sandip likes this.
    01-20-15 10:46 PM
    Z10 personal, Z30 for work, just upgraded work to Classic. Only about 6 hours in, and generally find I am liking it. It is much faster than the Z30 leaked OS's, and there are more features in general. Because it's got a keyboard all the time, all the shortcuts are available, which is a drawback for the Z series.

Nothing is final, could be some huge flaw somewhere that hasn't popped up yet. 2 weeks is enough time.

The Device Switch app was useless....
    01-20-15 11:57 PM
    Excited for the classic. And the point about the shortcuts really stands out for me.
    01-21-15 02:09 AM
    Excited for the classic. And the point about the shortcuts really stands out for me.
    They are slowly coming back. T and B while browsing... so right.
    Last edited by bbdj92651; 01-21-15 at 02:19 AM. Reason: new keyboard heh
    01-21-15 02:17 AM
27 12