I probably should have known already but BB decided to change the SIM card location on the Classic to an iPhone-style "tray" that requires the use of their special tool to open. This is a shame, IMHO because if you happen to require a new SIM card but are not at home or within range of the tool, you cannot open the drawer. You'd have to find a VERY small paper clip or something, which may also not be readily available. I wonder what the rationale was for introducing this on the Classic? Same goes for micro SD 'slot/tray'.
    12-23-14 05:22 PM
    I probably should have known already but BB decided to change the SIM card location on the Classic to an iPhone-style "tray" that requires the use of their special tool to open. This is a shame, IMHO because if you happen to require a new SIM card but are not at home or within range of the tool, you cannot open the drawer. You'd have to find a VERY small paper clip or something, which may also not be readily available. I wonder what the rationale was for introducing this on the Classic? Same goes for micro SD 'slot/tray'.
    It's because the back of the phone is not removable.
    12-23-14 05:27 PM
    and I prefer it this way
    Matt Bee likes this.
    12-23-14 06:02 PM
    Could be because most people don't swap sims that often, and it should be easier to hold in place and longer lasting.
    DYLANHABKIRK and Vintage123 like this.
    12-23-14 06:11 PM
    Well I'll give you an example. Recently I had the misfortune of dropping my iPhone 5S in some water. As a result, every now and then I get a "SIM Card Not Installed" error, and if rebooting the phone does not work, the only thing that does is to remove the SIM Card and re-insert it. Of course it normally happens when I'm NOT at home, so the phone is unusable until that time. In this case, yes, I should have the phone looked at but it seems that maybe BB would have done something to the back of the Classic like they did with the Passport, i.e. just a small piece from the top of the phone that is removed for SIM/SD insertion. Anyway I was just curious...thanks for the feedback, as always.
    12-23-14 07:02 PM
    Well I'll give you an example. Recently I had the misfortune of dropping my iPhone 5S in some water. As a result, every now and then I get a "SIM Card Not Installed" error, and if rebooting the phone does not work, the only thing that does is to remove the SIM Card and re-insert it. Of course it normally happens when I'm NOT at home, so the phone is unusable until that time. In this case, yes, I should have the phone looked at but it seems that maybe BB would have done something to the back of the Classic like they did with the Passport, i.e. just a small piece from the top of the phone that is removed for SIM/SD insertion. Anyway I was just curious...thanks for the feedback, as always.
    yes it would of been faster that way
    12-23-14 07:06 PM
    When I was using my N5 I always carried my removal tool just in case. I guess some people are just a little too wrapped up in the little things to actually think things through.
    12-23-14 07:07 PM
    When I was using my N5 I always carried my removal tool just in case. I guess some people are just a little too wrapped up in the little things to actually think things through.
    LOL. And tell me you think it's not easy to lose the tool...or break it. It's not a little thing, actually. It's a matter of usability and convenience. The Passport got it right, if the battery is to be non-removable.
    12-23-14 07:10 PM
    I am switching between the Classic and Passport so I have to carry around the simm tool. It would have been better to have it like the way it is in the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    12-23-14 07:13 PM
    I am switching between the Classic and Passport so I have to carry around the simm tool. It would have been better to have it like the way it is in the Passport.
    Precisely the reason I was thinking about this.
    12-23-14 07:23 PM
    LOL. And tell me you think it's not easy to lose the tool...or break it. It's not a little thing, actually. It's a matter of usability and convenience. The Passport got it right, if the battery is to be non-removable.
    If I lost mine I would be a little pissed that my wallet went missing. Other than that, naw.
    12-23-14 07:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Did you have to go to the store to activate anything when you received your other device or does simply removing the sim & inserting it do the trick?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 07:32 PM
    Did you have to go to the store to activate anything when you received your other device or does simply removing the sim & inserting it do the trick?
    As long as they're from the same carrier (if locked) or at least one is unlocked, they are interchangeable.
    Vintage123 likes this.
    12-23-14 07:34 PM
    A safety pin/diaper pin works fine on my Classic to open the sim. Pin the safety pin somewhere on your body in a hidden spot or perhaps just put it through your ear if you have pierced ears lol. I have been switching my sim back and forth to my iphone5 and my new Classic--Telus said I could do this. I need a paper clip to open the iphone as the safety pin is too small to work.
    12-23-14 07:44 PM
    A safety pin/diaper pin works fine on my Classic to open the sim. Pin the safety pin somewhere on your body in a hidden spot.
    ...not my idea of convenience. Sorry. I am really just wondering why they chose the Classic as the guinea pig for the change and not the PP or higher-end device. There must be some logical reason (I hope).
    12-23-14 07:49 PM
    if you're out and need a sim I would think were you are getting the card would have a tool to insert it.
    12-23-14 08:07 PM
    Haven't read the rest of the thread, but if you have a wallet, put it in there.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 08:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    I am on the Rogers Network and just move the simm between the phones (both of which are unlocked) . I set up all my email accounts on both devices with my files which are stored in Dropbox. The only thing you need to activate each time is associating you BBM ID with the device. You can also easily use Blend with either device.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 08:55 PM
    I agree with OP. When you cross border if you don't have the pin in the car you can't swap sim.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 08:57 PM
    Not true. Passport has a stupid snap cover and I hate it. The Classic trays are brilliant.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 09:06 PM
    I agree with OP. When you cross border if you don't have the pin in the car you can't swap sim.

Posted via CB10
    i will be crossing the border every 4 to 6 days. so the tool will go in my wallet...if I lose it i'll put something else that work in my wallet
    12-23-14 11:41 PM
    As long as they're from the same carrier (if locked) or at least one is unlocked, they are interchangeable.
    Do you know if I have to go thru BlackBerry Link to transfer phones? I'd like to alternate & use both. Just not sure what process is involved.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:17 AM
    Do you know if I have to go thru BlackBerry Link to transfer phones? I'd like to alternate & use both. Just not sure what process is involved.

Posted via CB10

thepolishguy likes this.
    12-26-14 10:45 AM
    i will be crossing the border every 4 to 6 days. so the tool will go in my wallet...if I lose it i'll put something else that work in my wallet
    Use a thin paperclip.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-26-14 11:57 AM
    i got the tool not lost yet...I will have no problem carrying a paper clip if...
    12-26-14 04:27 PM
30 12