Hi,

I've been wanting to upgrade my trusty-but-old 9900 for some time, and there's a chance I couldn't look away: a half-the-price white BB Classic is being offered to me and it still got three months of warranty in it, it's also in a very good like-new shape. I'm practically salivating over this gorgeous phone, but I think I should I ask here first before jumping to a regretful purchase.

I'm planning to use the Classic to replace the 9900 as a business phone, so BBM is a must (checked), email is too a must (checked), and of course WhatsApp. Now ever since WhatsApp has announced they'll be ending support for BlackBerry at the end 2016, we the BBOS & BB 10 users are in a pickle situation, should I really pass on this opportunity?

I also been quite envy with iPhone users who have Scanner Pro app by Readdle, it's a very handy app which will very useful for me, do BB 10 has that kind of app?

What do you think? Should I get the Classic or not?
    05-03-16 06:48 AM
    I say if the price of the Classic is a good one and you can live with the fact that you might be loosing WhatsApp support in the future, I say go for the Classic. For myself, I always try and look a year down the road which is an eternity in this business.

I think there are a few good scanner apps in the OS10 Blackberry world. If your concerned about future OS10 support and the availability of apps that you might need, I say look at Android and/or IOS, there are some nice deals on used Priv's at the moment if you might consider going the Android route.
    05-03-16 07:50 AM
    Hey buddy. For BlackBerry there is Scanner XT, Paper Pusher, and ScanWritr. I know what you mean, Scanner Pro is simply amazing (have it on my iPhone) and the post-processing makes even the most illegible -> legible. I don't know if the BlackBerry variants are capable of doing that. However, you can also install android variants from the Google Play Store, i.e., Tiny Scanner or something like that.

Fortunately, we can install android apps so that'll give much more options when it comes to app selection.

As for Whatsapp, what's that?

Edit: the BlackBerry hands down does email better than any other OS. I'm strictly using it as a work phone and it handles 3 email accounts like a champ. Much smarter than iOS native email app or outlook app. Typing is a breeze and it's a gorgeous phone.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    05-03-16 07:55 AM
    Oh, and my Classic lasts about 3 days. It uses roughly 30% (give or take) per day. Mind you, I don't stream or watch media on it. It mainly use it for calling, messaging, and emailing (and chilling on CB!)

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 08:04 AM
    I say if the price of the Classic is a good one and you can live with the fact that you might be loosing WhatsApp support in the future, I say go for the Classic. For myself, I always try and look a year down the road which is an eternity in this business.

I think there are a few good scanner apps in the OS10 Blackberry world. If your concerned about future OS10 support and the availability of apps that you might need, I say look at Android and/or IOS, there are some nice deals on used Priv's at the moment if you might consider going the Android route.
    The price is very tempting, it's almost half the price that I keep asking the seller if there's something wrong with the Classic, but he assures me it's fine.
    I don't know if I can loose the WhatsApp, because every day almost everyone I met in business is using WhatsApp, it feels like BBM in the good old days again. But if I get the Classic now, it'll be only less than a year until WhatsApp is available...

Exactly, that's what I have in mind, I'm beginning to look for the Priv too.
    UPDATE: the second-hand price for the Priv is still too expensive for me... :-(
    Last edited by Joe Clean; 05-03-16 at 10:05 AM.
    05-03-16 09:41 AM
    Hey buddy. For BlackBerry there is Scanner XT, Paper Pusher, and ScanWritr. I know what you mean, Scanner Pro is simply amazing (have it on my iPhone) and the post-processing makes even the most illegible -> legible. I don't know if the BlackBerry variants are capable of doing that. However, you can also install android variants from the Google Play Store, i.e., Tiny Scanner or something like that.

Fortunately, we can install android apps so that'll give much more options when it comes to app selection.

As for Whatsapp, what's that?

Edit: the BlackBerry hands down does email better than any other OS. I'm strictly using it as a work phone and it handles 3 email accounts like a champ. Much smarter than iOS native email app or outlook app. Typing is a breeze and it's a gorgeous phone.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the tip, I'll remember those apps if I do get the Classic.

My reaction was exactly like that when WhatsApp was starting to invade here, but over time, it's like the norm for business contacts to have WhatsApp. Feels like BBM in the good old days when BlackBerry still reigned back then. Now, I just can't ignore it if an important business contact ask me to send a message or a picture through WhatsApp, it's everywhere.

Agree, love the email app in BlackBerry and its comfortable keyboard. Tried looking for an Android phone with that kind of keyboard, and I keep coming back to my trusty-but-old 9900.
    EdwardQ10 likes this.
    05-03-16 09:47 AM
    Oh, and my Classic lasts about 3 days. It uses roughly 30% (give or take) per day. Mind you, I don't stream or watch media on it. It mainly use it for calling, messaging, and emailing (and chilling on CB!)

Posted via CB10
    I'm planning to use the Classic exactly like what you're doing there.
    Right now I can't access CB with my old 9900, which is sucks really.
    05-03-16 09:49 AM
    Yes get the Classic! You won't regret it.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 10:23 AM
    I'm an app guy.. but i still keep coming back to Blackberry! Get the Classic! You won't regret it.

Pinoy Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-03-16 10:29 AM
    Thanks for the tip, I'll remember those apps if I do get the Classic.

My reaction was exactly like that when WhatsApp was starting to invade here, but over time, it's like the norm for business contacts to have WhatsApp. Feels like BBM in the good old days when BlackBerry still reigned back then. Now, I just can't ignore it if an important business contact ask me to send a message or a picture through WhatsApp, it's everywhere.

Agree, love the email app in BlackBerry and its comfortable keyboard. Tried looking for an Android phone with that kind of keyboard, and I keep coming back to my trusty-but-old 9900.
    There was news recently about newegg and ebay selling BRAND NEW Privvys for $400. I don't know if you're in the U.S., but that's a big discount. I'm afraid if you leave your Bold, you may start missing the toolbelt (trackpad and all).

I don't know how much the seller is selling the Classic for, but if you feel that it's a good investment then definitely get it.

Also, search the forums for using android Whatsapp for BBOS10. You may find some luck.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 10:41 AM
    My personal opinion. If you're going in knowing you mainly want it for phone calls, texting, email and basic Web tasks it's amazing! Don't get this for movies, multimedia, gaming etc. I use my Kindle Fire for all that. Love my Classic!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 11:25 AM
    If WhatsApp is essential for your business contacts, then you have no choice but to get an Android or iOS device.

*ME173X
    05-03-16 12:35 PM
    Thee classic is still the best work horse on the market but it lacks apps and speed that the Priv would give you.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 08:29 PM
    Right now I can't access CB with my old 9900, which is sucks really.
    The CB Forums app still works for me.
    05-03-16 09:05 PM
    The CB Forums app still works for me.
    Same here. CB still works for me as well on my 9900.

I've had a Priv, Passport SE and always come back to the Classic. There is something about the keyboard and premium feel that keeps me coming back!?

I just came back to a Classic (again) from a iPhone SE and iPhone 6s Plus and the Classic is super slow compared to those devices. However, the Classic absolutely kills my iPhone for emails, texting, calling and overall typing. If I can get past the speed thing, the Classic will be a definite keeper!!! I'm hoping it'll settle in once it's all setup?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 10:48 PM
    Without knowing specifics on your potential purchase price or your financial situation, I would recommend you getting the Classic. It's about as close to a 9900 as you can get and it's a massive upgrade in a lot of performance metrics. The browser, the battery, the screen size/ quality etc. It's debatable the BBOS vs BB10 question but for me it's a big time upgrade in a lot of ways.

The reason why I think you should go ahead with this purchase is that you will at least get a 6+ months of use of WhatsApp. Nobody knows 100% what will happen with that app but hopefully they keep the app and just simply drop support for new features etc. This will give you a decent runway worth of use from a foundation support aspect.

Another good reason to go with the Classic is that it's a good quality backup phone. You never know about a lost phone, broken phone other emergency.

A few posters have also mentioned the Priv or the upcoming Android phones as well. You will get a physical keyboard, similar Blackberry apps like HUB and calendar etc but you will have the library of Android apps which is huge.

In any event buy a phone that best suits your needs but I was a diehard 9900 fan and I love my Classic.

Posted via CB10
    Lefty724 likes this.
    05-03-16 11:17 PM
    If you can get it at a good price its a no brainer. If it doesn't suit your needs just flip it.
    I cant see WA not working anymore. Just support ending. I'm sure you will be able to install the android version.
    I don't use WA so maybe somebody else can chime in here.
    05-03-16 11:51 PM
    Same here. CB still works for me as well on my 9900.

I've had a Priv, Passport SE and always come back to the Classic. There is something about the keyboard and premium feel that keeps me coming back!?

I just came back to a Classic (again) from a iPhone SE and iPhone 6s Plus and the Classic is super slow compared to those devices. However, the Classic absolutely kills my iPhone for emails, texting, calling and overall typing. If I can get past the speed thing, the Classic will be a definite keeper!!! I'm hoping it'll settle in once it's all setup?

Posted via CB10
    I know the Priv's keyboard sux, but how is the PP SE's keyboard compared to Classic?

Does it have a nice click to it?

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 09:35 AM
    I know the Priv's keyboard sux, but how is the PP SE's keyboard compared to Classic?

Does it have a nice click to it?

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, the PP SE is more comfortable to type on than the Classic... and yes it does have that "clicky" sound that I've grown to love. I also like the touch sensitive keyboard as well.

However, I just feel at home when typing on the Classic's keyboard. The buttons, punctuation marks, and numbers all feel like "home" to me. It's second nature now and I don't even have to look at the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 09:49 AM
    OP, I don't know anything about scanner apps, but if your needs are strictly communication, the Classic handles all that flawlessly. The hub is awesome. I had three email accounts all set to push, linkedin, twitter, and igrann notifications and the phone still lasted more than a day. Since I don't know your price, I would say if it's low enough where you won't have to worry about support drying up, I say go for it.

I don't use Whatsapp, but I don't think it's going to outright go fully away, I think it just won't get updated.
    05-04-16 11:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wow 3 days! You must not use it that much lol. Mine could probably go last 2 days but I usually recharge it every night.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 02:28 PM
    Honestly, the PP SE is more comfortable to type on than the Classic... and yes it does have that "clicky" sound that I've grown to love. I also like the touch sensitive keyboard as well.

However, I just feel at home when typing on the Classic's keyboard. The buttons, punctuation marks, and numbers all feel like "home" to me. It's second nature now and I don't even have to look at the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    The Passport Silver Edition is also a nice device to type on but I just seem to like the "tighter" arrangement of the Classic's keyboard. It just feels like I can get to each key quicker because there is less travel between keys. Having an always readily available Alt and Shift key is always a bonus too and just seems to facilitate faster typing.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 02:30 PM
    Yes!!!

makox
    05-04-16 03:20 PM
    I already own a relatively new Z30 but I want a BlackBerry 10 phone with a keyboard. I'd love the Passport but it is too expensive for me as well as wide for my hands. I am deciding between the Q10 (which is so cheap right now) and the Classic. I wanted to know the difference between them over the keyboard and the battery life.

I really love the Q10 look, there's something about the screen and the neat rows of keys without the toolbelt that is beautiful. At the same time, I also like the Classic look, looks like a real, professional gadget, very stylish. I also wonder how frequently do you guys use the trackpad.
    05-04-16 04:29 PM
    What's all the chit-chat about?

BUY THE CLASSIC!!!

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    05-04-16 04:39 PM
39 12