Are there any good reasons to buy this phone besides security?
    it's slow
    07-11-15 04:50 PM
    Obviously you will get somewhat bias response on this BlackBerry forum but hey, can't hurt to try it out!

My friends constantly make fun of me and my BlackBerry Classic but for me and my uses, it's the phone for me.

Not going to lie, other OS'es have "more" functionality but it's the no nonsense aspect of the phone I like the most AND of course the best keyboard out there.

I simply can not let go of my physical keyboard, but again, others said they got used to a touch screen and that's great for me but why should I have to get used to a new way of typing when I do not have to.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    07-11-15 04:53 PM
    Go for it. Switched to Passport (and Classic) from iPhone 5S this year and I'm never looking back.
    CivilDissident and Frehley like this.
    07-11-15 06:18 PM
    I've been an iPhone user my entire life. My first phone was the iPhone 4 and I have never looked back until now. Everyone these days seems to either be using an Android or an iPhone but for some reason I love the originality of the Blackberry Classic. I'm currently a college student looking to try something different. Are there any good reasons to buy this phone besides security? Any thoughts on what I should buy?
    Less of an ecosystem means you can spend more time studying
    lysskr and Avenzuno like this.
    07-11-15 06:21 PM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 07:39 PM
    Yes!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 08:22 PM
    I adore my Classic. It is my favourite phone ever. I mainly use my phone for communication, music and watching shows while on break at work. I had a Q10 previously, which I loved, but the screen size between the 2 really makes a difference for watching anything for me.
    I also have an iPod as a backup for apps that I use that aren't available for BlackBerry yet so I'm familiar with iOS' good and bad points. Once you have a physical keyboard again, virtual ones tend to drive you insane.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 09:28 PM
    You have to or else your life will crumble.

Posted via CB10
    lysskr, Djlatino and SmileDahling like this.
    07-11-15 10:52 PM
    Depends what you want and need your phone to do.
    07-11-15 11:02 PM
    I have had an iPhone for years after I left BB. I have iPad as well. I have always pulled for the underdog and almost got a Passport. I waited and just got my Classic last Thursday. I still have my iPhone 6. To further clarify, I am 58 years old and only do podcasts and music. I want the Classic to work for me so badly but I have several podcasts I download on a weekly basis. Honestly, I don't even know if I can do that with the Classic. However, I can easily afford an iTouch and will probably go that way if I decide to keep the Classic.

I just started typing on the Classic this morning and have been doing so for about 3 hours (I'm off on Monday). It was hard at first and I started getting frustrated but then I started to relax, if that makes sense, and my accuracy has started to really improve. On top of the that, it is WAY more easy to correct typing mistakes on the Classic. It's gonna take some time. I bought mine for $129 with a 1 year contract from Verizon. I do believe I will know what to do before my free return window is closed. I think a got 2 weeks. I'd recommend you get one and spend some time with it. That is the only way you will know. My 2 cents....
    07-13-15 10:55 AM
    Well Gebo, I'm 59 and only use the phone for talk, text, and email. I also have the classic from Verizon, and yes it takes a little time to a just from the iPhone. It's worth it, as you are finding out.
    07-13-15 11:28 AM
    In some youtube review of Classic said: "if in your email app keep having +100 messages not read always...the Classic is not for you".

True

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 08:39 AM
    Assuming OP is using an iPhone 4 or 5, I would strongly recommend a Z30, because

1) Bigger screen

I don't know what you are studying, but many textbooks are available as eBooks on Amazon and you could read these with the Kindle app on the Z30.
    Textbooks are typically reviewed before release, so I would rely more on these than on any apps.

2) File Manager and SD card

iPhones don't have a file manager and no sd card, so syncing/sharing/managing your files can be really difficult with an iPhone.
    BB 10 users don't have these problems.
    You don't even need any software on your pc to access the sd card on your BB 10 device. Isn't that great?
    (Note BB Link is only optional)

3) It's cheaper and you are a student.

4) All important functions and apps are available

However if you need the messengers Snapchat or Line, these are not (really) available.
    Same is true for OpenVPN which seems to be used by many universities these days.

On the other hand a Torch and Password Keeper are available, you have App Permissions, you can shorten videos in the video app and in comparison with an iPhone 5 the Z30 camera is at least equivalent.

5) Sound (music)

The speakers of the Z30 are definitely better then the iPhone speakers

... just a few thoughts
    Avenzuno, terminatorx and so crow like this.
    07-16-15 09:12 AM
    I have my Classic about 4 months now. And I do practically everything with it. No need to use a pc or laptop anymore.. I enjoy typing with it.. even one handed quick typing. It is glued to my hands. It's swift an accurate. I bought my wife a Classic to. She loves it...
    It's a mini computer.
    I laugh at other people who want to search something quick on their android or iphone. Their still typing and i'm already there.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    Xenolock likes this.
    07-16-15 09:25 AM
    I had a choice to go back to the iPhone from the Samsung Mega. But I thought of the time when I was most productive with a smartphone... I went back to BlackBerry. I answer emails faster. Less focus on social media. More focus on the job at hand. Apple and Android are media centric versus the productivity centric BlackBerry.

And of course... the keyboard.

you'll miss how to waste time with the iPhone but you get so much done with the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 10:59 AM
    Assuming OP is using an iPhone 4 or 5, I would strongly recommend a Z30, because

1) Bigger screen

I don't know what you are studying, but many textbooks are available as eBooks on Amazon and you could read these with the Kindle app on the Z30.
    Textbooks are typically reviewed before release, so I would rely more on these than on any apps.

2) File Manager and SD card

iPhones don't have a file manager and no sd card, so syncing/sharing/managing your files can be really difficult with an iPhone.
    BB 10 users don't have these problems.
    You don't even need any software on your pc to access the sd card on your BB 10 device. Isn't that great?
    (Note BB Link is only optional)

3) It's cheaper and you are a student.

4) All important functions and apps are available

However if you need the messengers Snapchat or Line, these are not (really) available.
    Same is true for OpenVPN which seems to be used by many universities these days.

On the other hand a Torch and Password Keeper are available, you have App Permissions, you can shorten videos in the video app and in comparison with an iPhone 5 the Z30 camera is at least equivalent.

5) Sound (music)

The speakers of the Z30 are definitely better then the iPhone speakers

... just a few thoughts
    While true that the Z30 has all the capabilities, keep in mind that the 30 only has a couple of bands of LTE, which if I'm correct are the Verizon bands of LTE.

I keep it simple this way. I have a Passport with all the my essential things, keyboard, hub, security, etc and I have an ipad/6Plus combo for all the fluff that BlackBerry doesn't support at the moment.

Post via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    07-16-15 12:19 PM
    Just completed a mini experiment. Was driving In a poor reception area talking with my wife on my iPhone 6. I was cutting out and lost service. Then I realized I had my BB Classic in car seat. I immediately called my wife back and finished our conversation on the BB. About 45 minutes later I was on a familiar stretch of poor reception highway. Answered a call on my iPhone 6 and started cutting out. Lost service, picked up BB, called back and the person I called said, "What did you do? You sound like you are in the next room."

FYI, I just got a BB to try last Thursday so I'm not a fanboy.
    terminatorx likes this.
    07-16-15 01:23 PM
    Just completed a mini experiment. Was driving In a poor reception area talking with my wife on my iPhone 6. I was cutting out and lost service. Then I realized I had my BB Classic in car seat. I immediately called my wife back and finished our conversation on the BB. About 45 minutes later I was on a familiar stretch of poor reception highway. Answered a call on my iPhone 6 and started cutting out. Lost service, picked up BB, called back and the person I called said, "What did you do? You sound like you are in the next room."

But BlackBerry smartphones prove that they are still the best at what they do. Being a smartPHONE

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Mausje75 likes this.
    07-16-15 01:30 PM

You have the same provider for both phones? I have Verizon for my Z30, and at&t for my iPhone 6 Plus.

Posted via CB 10 | STA100-3 Z30 | OS 10.3.2.858
    07-16-15 03:52 PM
    same providers. Both verizon on exact same plan. I'm trying the classic so I added it to my current plan to see what's what. I'm in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains and as I go home in a few minutes I'm gonna repeat the experiment in the "known " bad service areas to see what happens. I'll advise in a few hours.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-16-15 04:14 PM
    I've been an iPhone user my entire life. My first phone was the iPhone 4 and I have never looked back until now. Everyone these days seems to either be using an Android or an iPhone but for some reason I love the originality of the Blackberry Classic. I'm currently a college student looking to try something different. Are there any good reasons to buy this phone besides security? Any thoughts on what I should buy?
    Well did you ditch the Iphoney? Try the Classic and you'll Love the one you're With .
    07-16-15 04:41 PM
    YES!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 05:11 PM
    I've not reread all the posts. But have you made a decision?
    07-16-15 08:12 PM
    If the MAIN thing you do is communicate on a phone, the Classic trumps everything else Same reason I use Classic over the Passport. Keyboard is better, despite everything else being slower.

Posted via CB10
    My experience has been the exact opposite! I've had better luck with the PP than I ever did with the classic.. YMMV

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 08:13 PM
    I have my Classic about 4 months now. And I do practically everything with it. No need to use a pc or laptop anymore.. I enjoy typing with it.. even one handed quick typing. It is glued to my hands. It's swift an accurate. I bought my wife a Classic to. She loves it...
    It's a mini computer.
    I laugh at other people who want to search something quick on their android or iphone. Their still typing and i'm already there.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    I've done this countless times, the look on their faces is priceless!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 08:16 PM
148 12345 ...