I've been an iPhone user my entire life. My first phone was the iPhone 4 and I have never looked back until now. Everyone these days seems to either be using an Android or an iPhone but for some reason I love the originality of the Blackberry Classic. I'm currently a college student looking to try something different. Are there any good reasons to buy this phone besides security? Any thoughts on what I should buy?

What do you use your phone for?

I use the Classic and really, security is not the main reason I use BlackBerry still.

It's got the best keyboard and way of navigating around. The iPhone is fun for like, videos and games and stuff. It's fine for texting and typing and phone calls. The Classic is reverse. It's fine for some games or videos. I'll sometimes watch a news clip or a YouTube clip on my Classic. It's fine. Good even. The speaker is good. But what I LOVE it for is the typing. I can pick it up, swipe up to unlock, then dive right into typing or going on the web browser.

Keyboard shortcuts become part of your life. Pressing N brings up BBM, or B for browser. You can do a lot of stuff more quickly on a Classic.

But be aware... if you're into posting on Instagram a lot, or SnapChat, you might want to hold onto your iphone and use it as an iPod touch. Instagram can be side loaded, and I had it, but it's better on my iPad. Never tried SnapChat because I don't have one. If your life is run by apps, I would rethink getting a Classic, but if you are adding a Classic in addition to your iPhone or keeping the iPhone to use on WiFi, then the Classic really can't be beat in terms of texting/email/ phone calls and web browsing.
    terminatorx likes this.
    07-10-15 04:41 PM
    I've been an iPhone user my entire life. My first phone was the iPhone 4 and I have never looked back until now. Everyone these days seems to either be using an Android or an iPhone but for some reason I love the originality of the Blackberry Classic. I'm currently a college student looking to try something different. Are there any good reasons to buy this phone besides security? Any thoughts on what I should buy?
    What do you use your phone for? Are you a heavy app user? Do you like to tinker?

I'm all about trying new things so for that reason alone I say try it. But if you're on a budget and looking at a longer term decision you should probably evaluate your needs more in depth. Which brings me back to my questions...

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    07-10-15 04:42 PM
    "Should I ditch the iPhone for a BlackBerry Classic? "

Yes...

Posted via my awesome Classic
    CivilDissident likes this.
    07-10-15 05:31 PM
    OP:

Two different worlds. I carried an iPhone 4s alongside my BlackBerry 9780 for a few years. The iPhone is the king of Apps, that's for sure. I'm not a fan of the plastering of icons all over the home pages, and iPhone's OS is beginning to look VERY dated to me because frankly, it is very dated. It hasn't changed drastically in basic form and function and GUI since the original iPhone.

BlackBerries were meant for productivity and communication first and foremost. They are beautiful in form and function to my eyes. And the keyboard on the 9900 and the Classic is just fantastic. I get screen touch typing. But there is just something great about typing on a BlackBerry, especially the Classic and the 9900. Yes, I still love my 9900, and the new Classic is very similar but with a brand new OS that many feel is superior to 7.1 and BIS. If it were me making your decision, I'd carry both for a while and see how you like them. If you are talking GSM, then it's easy to swap the SIM card.

If I had to make one choice, to me, the choice is VERY clear. BlackBerry all the way. But I'm a business guy, and I love the way Berry does business. If you have to have an app for everything in the World, then at present you will be more happy with iPhone. Especially if you are digging the new 8.4 iOS with BlackBerry Music. Me? I tried it on my iPhone 4s for a week and went right back to Spotify. My entire CD collection is on Amazon and Google Play (Ripped it last year to both). My 9900 does not do Amazon Prime Music nor does it do Google Play music, so I can't use my Berry to stream my music from the Cloud. That's why I still carry an Android. For play and for my 2nd line (I run 2 businesses). But the Berry does do Spotify, and that's a huge plus for me.

Good luck with your decision!
    07-10-15 06:12 PM
    "Should I ditch the iPhone for a BlackBerry Classic? "

Yes...

Without even knowing what the OP's needs are? Hmmm...

Posted from an ME173X
    07-10-15 06:16 PM
    It comes down to what you value and what you're willing to compromise... If you are app dependent and require all the trendy "NOW" apps, better hold on to that iPhone as BlackBerry carries the essentials, Amazon app store adding a more diverse selection, but that's about it... So I'd 1st mentally prioritize what you use and can't be without and then check that list as per BlackBerry's support...

Now, if apps are purely supplemental (or if you're like myself and find yourself minimal in app usage), the next thing you'd be looking at is what you DO use your phone for. If emails, messengers, SMS, calls, social networking, RSS feeds and light browser tasks are the bulk of your device's haul than the Classic is what you need as this device outperforms all other platforms hands down... (This IS BlackBerry's specialty after all... designing mobile communication devices, not mobile entertainment centers...) The keyboard is so comfortable it almost compels you to want to use it more, hence not only giving you the ability to plow through correspondence with ease, but also derive enjoyment and pleasure from it...

Another thing to consider is your media usage. If you are viewing the occasional youtube, vine, vimeo or the embedded video or two the Classic is perfect and keeps up no problem, but if you are looking to watch a Netflix marathon or stream sporting event the iPhone is better suited... (I personally don't understand those who find it enjoyable to watch a full length feature on their mobile device, phablets or standard sized, but it seems to be some ppl's cup of tea... Obviously the Classic's screen size would hinder that enjoyment if that is something you value...)

The Classic's camera also isn't fabulous so if you're expecting semi-profession photographer standards, turn around now... But for everyday, 'in-the-moment' life snaps, the Classic fills that niche...

Basically what it comes down to is preference... Only a BlackBerry device has what I need in a phone... It's right to the point of what I need a phone to be and does exactly what I need it to do in the most fantastic of ways... However I also realize what works for me isn't what works for another... Only you will know if the transition is right for you... Best of luck on choosing the device best designed for YOU!

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 06:59 PM
    My posts are significantly longer when using my Classic or 9900 than with my Passport or Z30. An interesting study would be to compare average post length against device used. Classic and 9900 feel SO comfortable cranking out page after page... That's their niche. A wonderful niche, IMO.

I agree with several here, if you can, carry both for a while. Come to these forums for some tips and learn keyboard shortcuts, etc... and see how each device fits your use. If communications are your priority, i'm predicting you'll discover what many of us have known for years.... BB = Communications!
    07-10-15 07:21 PM
    You should ditch your iphone because it's an iphone. Anything is better.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 08:02 PM
    I have every platform represented in my place. iPhone 6, Xperia Z3, Lumia 830, and I added the Classic to my arsenal. I haven't popped the nano sim out of it yet. It became my primary due to the signal quality alone. I get stuck in our dungeon of a warehouse and can't make calls out with the other devices. I don't skip a beat or miss an email with it. I carry the iphone from time to time when I rarely need a certain app, but the Classic does all my communication heavy lifting.
    07-10-15 10:25 PM
    I currently use an iPhone 6 Plus with a Z30. Tomorrow the OP, I highly recommend looking for a way to have both. I use my iPhone for apps, media consumption and photos. My BlackBerry is my preferred text and email communication device. Since no smartphone is perfect, having two is the best way to get the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 11:32 PM
    I have every platform represented in my place. iPhone 6, Xperia Z3, Lumia 830, and I added the Classic to my arsenal. I haven't popped the nano sim out of it yet. It became my primary due to the signal quality alone. I get stuck in our dungeon of a warehouse and can't make calls out with the other devices. I don't skip a beat or miss an email with it. I carry the iphone from time to time when I rarely need a certain app, but the Classic does all my communication heavy lifting.
    I frequently work in low signal industrial environment. Classic's Paratek antenna configuration finds signal where my 99, and lesser phones, can't. Passport & Z30 are also Paratek configured, which is why I own them, also.

Of course my company, and myself, doesn't consider any device lacking physical "END" key to be a real "phone"... Long story... So Classic is carry of choice when signal is in doubt.
    07-11-15 12:02 AM
    I frequently work in low signal industrial environment. Classic's Paratek antenna configuration finds signal where my 99, and lesser phones, can't. Passport & Z30 are also Paratek configured, which is why I own them, also.

Of course my company, and myself, doesn't consider any device lacking physical "END" key to be a real "phone"... Long story... So Classic is carry of choice when signal is in doubt.
    I'm jealous of you guys actually. I find reception on my classic terrible compared to my passport.

Both phones in same spot on desk and same carrier
    Should I ditch the iPhone for a BlackBerry Classic?-img_20150711_064243.png

Should I ditch the iPhone for a BlackBerry Classic?-img_20150711_064145.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 05:44 AM
    I'm jealous of you guys actually. I find reception on my classic terrible compared to my passport.

Posted via CB10
    Bummer. Bad handset?? My PP is on ATT and Classic's on Verizon so I don't have direct comparison. My crew's Classics routinely work along side plant personnel iPhones & Sammys in industrial environments & our Classics are texting when everything else isn't. we don't use PP out on plant floor because other hand is too frequently too occupied. Not much help I'm affraid. I'd start a troubleshooting thread. Nvr kno.

OP, however, might find the Classic's single handed capabilities a valued asset, tho.
    07-11-15 07:29 AM
    Bummer. Bad handset?? My PP is on ATT and Classic's on Verizon so I don't have direct comparison. My crew's Classics routinely work along side plant personnel iPhones & Sammys in industrial environments & our Classics are texting when everything else isn't. we don't use PP out on plant floor because other hand is too frequently too occupied.
    Based upon both your experiences I'm starting to think possibly a bad device. It does reach high signal strength at times but I need to be in a very good area. I figured it was just weak on the classic.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 07:33 AM
    Based upon both your experiences I'm starting to think possibly a bad device. It does reach high signal strength at times but I need to be in a very good area. I figured it was just weak on the classic.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, if u have any warranty, I'd take it back. If not, could possibly be OS version or software settings? Don't want to hijack op's thread but if you start a "help" thread you'll get answers. Might not like the answer too much tho if it's a bad device.
    07-11-15 09:18 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150711_064243.png 
Views:	684 
Size:	714.4 KB 
ID:	361966

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150711_064145.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	361967

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what mobile company you use nor if your device was sold via your carrier, but that shouldn't be... I have a T-Mobile issue'd Classic as well as the unlocked Classic via shopBlackBerry Classic (Both are SQC100-4) and both pick up excellent signal on my network... Is your device model's bands compatible with your network? (if you purchased it somewhere other than your carrier, could be the issue right there) Also it's not clear via your posting whether or not you are running both devices or alternating between the PP and Classic. If you are using both simultaneously possibly an issue with an outdate SIM card? Try switching the SIM in your Passport to your Classic to quickly rule this out... Otherwise maybe an OS issue? Or as stated a faulty device? Either way,I've had 3 Classics thus far and none have had a signal strength issue... Not cool...

Posted via CB10
    idssteve and RoyaleWChz like this.
    07-11-15 10:19 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 10:24 AM
    Considering that BlackBerry may be going to android.. if it decided to leave bb10, you are left without updates.... the future is uncertain
    (just FYI)

Posted via CB10
    please dont take this post into consideration some people just have no clue as to what the heck they type with their keyboards
    07-11-15 10:56 AM
    I'm not sure what mobile company you use nor if your device was sold via your carrier, but that shouldn't be... I have a T-Mobile issue'd Classic as well as the unlocked Classic via shopBlackBerry Classic (Both are SQC100-4) and both pick up excellent signal on my network... Is your device model's bands compatible with your network? (if you purchased it somewhere other than your carrier, could be the issue right there) Also it's not clear via your posting whether or not you are running both devices or alternating between the PP and Classic. If you are using both simultaneously possibly an issue with an outdate SIM card? Try switching the SIM in your Passport to your Classic to quickly rule this out... Otherwise maybe an OS issue? Or as stated a faulty device? Either way,I've had 3 Classics thus far and none have had a signal strength issue... Not cool...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the tips
    The phone was recently wiped and both phones were purchased direct from Telus. Sim card is certainly a possibility although the one in the classic is much newer than the one in my PP. Must be an issue with my device specifically.

:note to others reading: I am not saying there is a signal strength issue with classics.. just mine

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 11:05 AM
    I heard BlackBerry was switching to the symbian OS

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 11:09 AM
    Thanks for the tips
    The phone was recently wiped and both phones were purchased direct from Telus. Sim card is certainly a possibility although the one in the classic is much newer than the one in my PP. Must be an issue with my device specifically.

:note to others reading: I am not saying there is a signal strength issue with classics.. just mine

Posted via CB10
    May I ask which OS your Classic is running? Have you received the 10.3.2 update yet? Also, another excellent way to see if this is a known/common issue would be to venture into the Telus forums and find a Classic thread, see if others using that device and service have a similar tale... If this comes up empty (or very low in numbers) then you are probably looking at a defective device OR again maybe an OS issue... Even if you ARE up to date on the OS, one more good thing to do would be to attempt to reload the OS fresh and just see if that brings improvement... Sometimes a bad install ruins SO much... Hopefully you get this worked out as the Classic's call clarity is amazing and definitely part of the "total package" of the device...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 07-11-15 at 03:33 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    07-11-15 12:42 PM
    I heard BlackBerry was switching to the symbian OS

Posted via CB10

Should I ditch the iPhone for a BlackBerry Classic?-looks-fine-me.jpg

07-11-15 03:22 PM
    I have an iPhone 6 Plus and a Classic. I use my Classic as my daily driver.

I also just ordered and received a beautiful P9983.

What a life.

Blackberry because I chose to be!

Posted with my beautiful P9983
    07-11-15 04:03 PM
    If you really, really, want to maintain 99.9% availability, a two device solution provides "no matter what" redundancy that is hard to beat. No matter what device you have. Each on a different carrier might not be unreasonable. Maybe even a third one for the third big carrier? lol
    07-11-15 04:32 PM
    Buy a BlackBerry. Use it for 13 days and if you don't like it, return it for a refund. You have nothing to lose.

Only you can't decide what's good for YOU.
    idssteve likes this.
    07-11-15 04:44 PM
148 1234 ...