I got so used to waiting for a worthy successor to my BB 9930, that by the time the Classic came out I was kind of over it. Especially with pricing subsidies changing, why should I spend another $600 on a phone that's a lot like the 9930 was my thinking.

Then Verizon stopped carrying it. I figured the Classic would have a successor, right? Ha! Then recently BB announces the Classic has been discontinued. So now my 9930 is finally starting to get tired. Every other word I type is getting a period after it whether I want it or not. So now it's time to finally get a Classic, only now it looks like used is the only way to go and I can't find clear info on which models will work on Verizon. All that locked / unlocked stuff I don't get, and those e-mail adverts from BB several months back were similarly unclear as to how to buy if you're on Verizon.

Can someone please assist?

Thanks!
    08-16-16 05:54 PM
    I believe the black Classic is still available on the US and Canadian shopblackberry websites. The price is the same it has always been though. The upside is that the phone is unlocked and so will get its updates much faster than a phone tied to a specific carrier.

For used I would check out the Market place here on the forums and Amazon & eBay.

Good luck with your search. I bought My Classic direct from Shopblackberry and am very happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 07:16 PM
    If you're on Verizon, your best bet would be amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TR...UvbUpU12551828 or swappa https://swappa.com/buy/blackberry-cl...UvbUpU12551828

Posted via CB10
    sorange and raino like this.
    08-16-16 07:44 PM
    I got an unlocked one on ebay for about $160. Few months in an works an looks good as new. Coming from the passport feels so nice to comfortably fit in pocket an type one handed at ease.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 11:16 PM
    If you're on Verizon, your best bet would be amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TR...UvbUpU12552051 or swappa https://swappa.com/buy/blackberry-cl...UvbUpU12552051

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the direct links. Such a relief to know the model will actually be compatible with my network!
    bigjman likes this.
    08-16-16 11:45 PM
    I got an unlocked one on ebay for about $160. Few months in an works an looks good as new. Coming from the passport feels so nice to comfortably fit in pocket an type one handed at ease.

Posted via CB10
    There must be something in the model number / part number, though, so you know you're getting a phone that's compatible on Verizon? I doubt anyone at Verizon would know...
    08-16-16 11:46 PM
    There must be something in the model number / part number, though, so you know you're getting a phone that's compatible on Verizon? I doubt anyone at Verizon would know...
    Sorry meant to say mine is factory unlocked. Not verizon branded.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 12:26 AM
    Wouldn't you just have to make sure that the phone had the appropriate bands for Verizon in your local area? (I can't help you with that, I'm in Aus)
    08-17-16 02:32 AM
    Wouldn't you just have to make sure that the phone had the appropriate bands for Verizon in your local area? (I can't help you with that, I'm in Aus)
    I would think so, except In the U.S. the wireless spectrum is split into different technologies, and with BB phones it's always less than clear which ones will work on Verizon. Verizon is awful about specifying which models will work on its network, BB gets honorable mention for not helping the matter much.
    08-17-16 06:47 AM
    Sorry meant to say mine is factory unlocked. Not verizon branded.

Posted via CB10
    It's not clear to me whether unlocked phones from BB will work on Verizon. I've checked once or twice in the past when BB offered deals on Passport and Classic, but each time those phones were not compatible on Verizon's network.
    08-17-16 06:49 AM
    sorange, I'm in Canada (eh!) so I can't help you directly with the carrier/frequency issue. What you MIGHT try would be to advertize on Kijiji for someone who has a Verizon Classic for sale. That might turn the trick for you.
    08-17-16 08:48 AM
    I would not recommend buying a used one. Spend the extra 75 or 100 dollars to get a new one, unlocked. I would also recommend that you buy from a trusted source like the Blackberry website, Crackberry website or Amazon. I bought my new and unlocked on Amazon for a great price and I received it in two days. I went with Amazon because it was a little bit cheaper, but not by much. Buy New!!!
    08-17-16 09:25 AM
    Great as a secondary phone. I have a note 5 as well. Bought classic cause I like to use my phone one handed and I don't play games so didn't need a fast processor.

I got mine on amazon for 200 dollars.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 12:46 PM
    I was just on Swappa and there is a Verizon Classic for sale. Looks good.
    08-17-16 02:54 PM
    I got mine on eBay for $160 brand new.
    I think it's a great deal!

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 09:45 PM
    I would not recommend buying a used one. Spend the extra 75 or 100 dollars to get a new one, unlocked. I would also recommend that you buy from a trusted source like the Blackberry website, Crackberry website or Amazon. I bought my new and unlocked on Amazon for a great price and I received it in two days. I went with Amazon because it was a little bit cheaper, but not by much. Buy New!!!
    He specifically said he was on Verizon though so unlocked wouldn't worked. Good used would be his best bet.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    08-18-16 05:13 AM
    He specifically said he was on Verizon though so unlocked wouldn't worked. Good used would be his best bet.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I would be greatly surprised if you could find a legitimate new Verizon Classic for sale. You can find unlocked Classics new and used, but they won't work on Verizon. You gotta have a Verizon Classic.
    Last edited by Gebo; 08-18-16 at 08:32 AM.
    08-18-16 06:56 AM
    It's not clear to me whether unlocked phones from BB will work on Verizon.
    No, they won't. I really wish people would stop offering their suggestions and price comparisons to you without understanding/keeping this in mind.

The Verizon models are SQC100-3 (camera) and SQC100-5 (non-camera.)
    sorange likes this.
    08-18-16 05:52 PM
    No, they won't. I really wish people would stop offering their suggestions and price comparisons to you without understanding/keeping this in mind.

Finally some accurate info. IF you are just looking at pics it has to have "Verizon" printed at bottom of keypad on front of phone.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    08-18-16 06:24 PM

Thank you so much - this is exactly the info I needed. Amazing that it's been so hard to track this down!
    08-19-16 12:43 AM