03-17-15 08:32 PM
41 12
tools
    I am in the market for a new BlackBerry now. I have been using a BlackBerry Bold 9700 for some time now and it has finally conked out. I really love the BlackBerry Passport but it too expensive in my country. The BlackBerry Classic and the Q10 have the same specs and few design changes but there is a big difference in price. So...
    03-08-15 06:34 PM
    Specs are pretty much identical.... I would go for the more economical version if I were you.... There is very little you will miss by not having the toolbelt

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 06:36 PM
    I prefer the Classic, due to the trackpad. That said, if losing the trackpad isn't a concern to you, go with the Q10. It is an excellent phone - I absolutely loved mine when I had it. But, I love my Classic more

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 06:37 PM
    I prefer the Classic over my Q10 or Passport. If economics are the driver a Q is an excellent solution if the savings help. I am sure we will see a bunch hit the used market now the classic is out.

If you can justify the Classic I don't think you will be disappointed. The specs are fine with their age only showing on certain Android runtime issues, where things feel a little bit laggy compared to the Passport but will be the same on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 06:49 PM
    Q10 is vey good

With diplomatic Passport
    03-08-15 06:49 PM
    My main criteria in a smartphone nowadays is battery life. Q10 and Classic have got almost identical specs but the Classic is way way better than the Q10 in terms of battery life! So Classic for me

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 03:22 AM
    I would also recommend the Classic for the bigger screen and even better keyboard than the Q.

The Q was an okay phone but Classic is way more 9900-esque

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 03:24 AM
    The q10 is a very capable device but I never really enjoyed the typing experience esp one who thoroughly enjoyed the 9780.

The classic on the other hand is much better designed and the keys just feel right

I also love the tool belt and the dedicated call hang up buttons too!

The battery life is king the only thing I dislike about the classic is the built in battery, the Nano sim and the ridiculous sim trays championed by Apple.

Thankfully the battery is miles above the q10 so the non removable battery isn't such a huge issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 05:13 AM
    The q10 is a very capable device but I never really enjoyed the typing experience esp one who thoroughly enjoyed the 9780.

The classic on the other hand is much better designed and the keys just feel right

I also love the tool belt and the dedicated call hang up buttons too!

The battery life is king the only thing I dislike about the classic is the built in battery, the Nano sim and the ridiculous sim trays championed by Apple.

Thankfully the battery is miles above the q10 so the non removable battery isn't such a huge issue.

Posted via CB10
    The trays for the sim and media card side-by-side are about the only complaint I have with the phone. It seems they don't quite fit or the design is such that they don't want to sit flush. I probably need to try opening and closing the media card tray as that one is the problem. Otherwise it is a superior device to its older sibling, the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 06:03 AM
    Got the classic yesterday. Had the Q10 for a while. Classic is better in a few ways. First the android apps all function better on the classic. The larger screen and the ability to adjust the screen size make it so that apps I couldn't get to work on the q10 work on the classic. Second the keyboard is wider and with the large hands I have it makes is easier to type. Last I am a huge fan of the wireless charging.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 08:23 AM
    Pretty much the same specs but the build quality seems way superior with the classic

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    03-09-15 08:33 AM
    I love the Q10 and still use it from time to time (I have a passport as my main phone).

I checked the classic when I went to get my pp. It is really nice. The one thing that made me consider it, was that the screen is slightly bigger when outing the phones side to side and considering the small screen on the Q10, I would say it is a plus.

On the other hand, the Q10 has removable battery and really I think the toolbelt is not such of an importance to me(for others it is major purchasing factor, but from the original question OP, I think you do not fall into this category).

If value for money is your thing, my personal suggestion would be get the Q10. then again the classic is a couple of years newer in some respects and in the long run this might play it's role.

To be more specific, if although the money is more on the classic and if removable battery is not something you care about, I would go with the classic. If money is the deciding factor and you are not one to change phones every year, go for the Q10.

On a final note (double typing aside -which I do not have on the Q10) the quality of the Q10 is great and for the classic I have read a couple of complaints in the forums.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:17 AM
    Had a Q10 for nearly a year and a 9900 before that. I renewed my contract and upgraded to the Classic a week ago and I love it. If you're a trackpad and toolbelt person, the Classic is for you. These things are what I missed when using the Q10. I also enjoy the slightly heavier weight/bigger size of the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    03-09-15 09:40 AM
    Q10, the lack of the tool belt does not slow me down.
    03-09-15 09:43 AM
    Tried the Q10 for several months. Switched to the Classic and I don't see myself going back.
    03-09-15 02:06 PM
    I had a couple q10s and they were awesome, then I just got my classic yesterday and can't put it down, its an upgrade in my opinion. Go with the classic

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 02:15 PM
    It you need affordability, get a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 04:01 PM
    Hmmm it's a hard one.. I have both q10 + classic.
    I have neither double typing issues on the q10 nor light bleeding or gaps on the classic (I live in switzerland, maybe we have other phones -100 models).

Classic:

+ Better Keyboard (Better Feedback and slighty larger)
    + Killer Battery (1.5 days average with heavy usage w/o probs)
    + Tool Belt (Trackpad for text selection, Phone start end buttons)
    + More business optics
    + better display
    - for me it's a bit too big when wearing in suits

Q10:

+ better formfactor (tinier, fits better in pockets and suits)
    + lighter
    - no trackpad and phonebuttons (I really need them especially when handling spreadsheets and / or larger chunks of email texts)

The price difference is just too marginal to chose upon it.
    I think it really only comes down to two questions:

Need a trackpad and buttons ---> classic
    Killer battery w/o changing ---> classic
    Best possible BB keyboard ---> classic
    Want the smallest bb10 qwerty ---> q10

Both are really gorgeous and sexy phones and very well build, however when you are coming from a 9700 you should ask yourself why you did not bought the 9900? Because of the size? Because the 9700 had killer battery specs and the 9900 didnt? BTW you can operate the classic just like the q10 if you want to but I can garantie you you will operate it the same way like you did with your 9700 or a 9900. For me the classic is the true new bold and the Q10 more like a new curve (just a bit less business like than the classic)

Hope I could help you

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-09-15 05:00 PM
    Q5 not good enough for a mention? Lol

Posted via CB10
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    03-09-15 05:05 PM
    im coming from the 9900 (now in junk drawer) which was on its last leg since i have abused it for 2 years and the browser is just painful on some days. i just bought the Classic last week, and bought a Q10 just hours ago because i cant get used to weight and size of the classic.

its just much bigger and heavier than i had imagined. Yes, some will point out that the difference are in marginal millimeters. and a few grams give or take. But to me, the difference was a big difference. i feel like its much much heavier and too cumbersome in the pocket. One handed operation can be done, but its much much easier on a Q10. i am just so much faster with the 9900 and im assuming ill be just as fast with the Q10.

Maybe you'll have a different take when you have both in your hands.
    03-09-15 06:26 PM
    I have a Z30 and a Classic to me best of both worlds might consider the passport down the line not no time soon though.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:59 PM
    Q10 all day. Classic is a downgrade.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 10:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    There you mentioned it Dave! Now, everyone move along...

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    03-09-15 10:56 PM
    Go for the Classic. I used a Q10 for almost a year and the Classic is much better in terms of battery life, screensize, typing experience, and usability.

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha. I use a Q5 for my side gigs and I daresay I kind of like it better than my Q10 because the Q5's keys are more clicky and thus more fun to type on.
    03-10-15 12:53 AM
    Most of the people (with few exceptions) who say Q10 is better than Classic are the people who haven't used classic at all. They just want to convince themselves that Classic is just the old stuff in a new pack. Even I belonged to that group, but after using the Classic for more than a month, I can say it's the best BlackBerry ever and the Q stands no chance ! (IMO)

Classic over Q10:
    Better screen (overall brightness and sunlight visibility), better keyboard, better build quality, better design, gorilla glass, the toolbelt and ofcourse AWESOME battery!

Q10 over Classic :
    Types double (wow more output!!!), AMOLED screen( absolutely all black in sunlight), removable battery (hey the one which comes with the phone isn't good enough, so I have an extra! Too Cool!!), compact form factor ( looks cute no wonder they call it CUTE10), forged stainless steel body with matte black coating( and NO it isn't plastic, even though it looks like it) , glass weave back cover for superior grip (hey, you just dropped the phone, well that's the phone's problem, the back cover is still in my hand.) WOW!!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kanungoash; 03-10-15 at 02:14 AM.
    03-10-15 01:59 AM
41 12