Oddly enough, someone on this forum tried to contact BlackBerry support for a Link issue and was told they no longer support it and couldn't help. Add that to no update in several years, and I'm not sure what further distinction can be made from complete EOL.
    Oh I don't really think they are supporting it... just pointing out what is in writing.
    08-27-19 03:04 PM
    Product End of Sales and Development End of Life
    BlackBerry 10.3.X August 2018 December 2019
    Android 5.X & 6.X - Priv October 2017 December 2019
    Android 6.X - DTEK50 June 2018 TBA
    Android 6.X - DTEK60 August 2018 TBA
    BlackBerry 10 OS versions 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2.X Dec 2014 April 2018
    BlackBerry 7 OS versions 7.0 and 7.1 Jul 2014 April 2018
    BlackBerry 6 OS Dec 2013 April 2018
    BlackBerry Device Software 5
    Sept 2013 April 2018
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 1.0.X Dec 2013 April 2018
    BlackBerry Smart Card Reader version 2.X Jun 2013 April 2018
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0.x and 2.1.X Apr 2014 April 2018
    TBA - To Be Announced; no dates have been announced to date.

END OF DEVELOPMENT

The date as of which BlackBerry will no longer provide fixes, updates, or security patches for the specified version of software. Technical Support will attempt to exhaust all options to provide a product resolution, but resolution cannot be guaranteed.

END OF LIFE

The product will no longer be supported by BlackBerry
    There will be no new versions of software
    No software patches, security fixes or workarounds will be generated to resolve any product issues
    BlackBerry Technical Support will no longer accept or troubleshoot issues directly related to the OS or application

————————————————� �—————————

The above is copied directly from the BB website.

Importantly, the EOL definition/explanation in writing is what has to be considered BlackBerry’s official position until BlackBerry officially changes.

Regardless of what anyone wants to believe or infer either way, it’s clear that BB doesn’t want any misunderstanding.
    08-28-19 02:52 PM
    Interesting, so TT does have a point about EOL according to these definitions. Since BBL said they would extend support of OS10, then strictly speaking we're still in EOD, no guarantee bugs can fixed but will explore all options to resolve a query.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-19 03:04 PM
    Interesting, so TT does have a point about EOL according to these definitions. Since BBL said they would extend support of OS10, then strictly speaking we're still in EOD, no guarantee bugs can fixed but will explore all options to resolve a query.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is still declared EOL December 2019 per website. Celebrate actual change only if changed on this page.

All I did was copy and paste from this for official accuracy purposes.

Hiya! I'm assuming you're referring to the posted BlackBerry 10 End of Life date of December 2019 here? https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/sup...ort-life-cycle

I'm not sure what has been planned for that time (I'm not in the loop for it, sorry). Feel free to tag me here if something goes awry though, especially before then. Cheers--
    08-28-19 03:07 PM
    BB10 is still declared EOL December 2019 per website. Celebrate actual change only if changed on this page.

All I did was copy and paste from this for official accuracy purposes.
    But did BB not say that BB10 will be supported beyond 2019?
    08-28-19 03:17 PM
    That statement is vague and unenforceable if the official EOD and EOL definition statements remain unchanged and the EOD and EOL dates remain unchanged.

Puffery isn’t the same as legally enforceable Contract for multiple reasons. I’ve just highlighted two basic reasons for illustrative purposes.
    08-28-19 03:22 PM
    Yes BBL announced they would extend BB10 support beyond 2019, so according to these definitions eoy 2019 is not EOL, strictly speaking beyond 2019 we'll still be in EOD. So TT had a point when he said eoy 2019 is not EOL

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-28-19 03:30 PM
    Yes BBL announced they would extend BB10 support beyond 2019, so according to these definitions eoy 2019 is not EOL, strictly speaking beyond 2019 we'll still be in EOD. So TT had a point when he said eoy 2019 is not EOL

Posted via CB10
    We’re all very aware of the press release. The problem is the press release isn’t specific as to what beyond 2019 means. If not changing there official publication on their official website to updated definition statements, you have what’s called “Puffery” which legally is/are considered vague sales promises not legally binding.
    08-28-19 03:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Look at the exact words though:

"We ... will continue to support critical infrastructure and services for BB10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond the end of 2019."

What have they defined as critical? For how long?

I don't think this is binding in a legal sense. It really doesn't mean anything specific, as much as we would like it to.

I would hope that if they really meant something more concrete, that they would update the official end-of-life date. That would certainly bring us some more comfort.
    08-28-19 03:40 PM

I would hope that if they really meant something more concrete, that they would update the official end-of-life date. That would certainly bring us some more comfort.
    That's what I've been saying from the start, we need more info, that the EOL date is in conflict with BBL's recent announcements. Now, as TT has posted, since the announcement is more recent than the EOL published dates of past we should focus instead on their recent statements, he's got a point! Setting that aside and looking at the larger picture why would BBL do this? something is going on, maybe something to do with BBMo? Enquiring minds want to know!

Posted via CB10
    08-28-19 03:56 PM
    That's what I've been saying from the start, we need more info, that the EOL date is in conflict with BBL's recent announcements. Now, as TT has posted, since the announcement is more recent than the EOL published dates of past we should focus instead on their recent statements, he's got a point! Setting that aside and looking at the larger picture why would BBL do this? something is going on, maybe something to do with BBMo? Enquiring minds want to know!

Posted via CB10
    Except the statement was mostly marketing fluff to gloss over the true reason for the update - to announce the closure of two more services.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-28-19 04:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why should they comment further? As-is, their negative press release sounds optimistic and positive and has no legally binding requirements. It’s why it’s actually done that way.

If their website changes, then you have cause for celebration. If the website doesn’t change, then you have the legally binding position. It doesn’t mean anything but chances for the feel good without any real commitment. That’s how my relationship has always felt with BB since the beginning. Commitment until the next payment is due...
    08-28-19 04:14 PM
    Except the statement was mostly marketing fluff ...
    Perhaps, we don't know.

And you schuck Fanley just when I thought you finally made a useful contribution to these forums you go and do what you do best

Posted via CB10
    08-28-19 04:29 PM
    BB is not supporting anything past 2019, they just arent going to flip the magic switch and render everything unusable. Which is pretty much known from the beginning. But as certain services break they wont fix them. So if the BBID goes down again, they might not fix it this time.
    08-28-19 04:33 PM
    BB is not supporting anything past 2019, they just arent going to flip the magic switch and render everything unusable. Which is pretty much known from the beginning. But as certain services break they wont fix them. So if the BBID goes down again, they might not fix it this time.
    I still don't understand why some folks are trying to read more into the updated announcement than is there. The tl;dr version equates to We haven't done anything with BB10 in years and we're not going to now. If something breaks, we might fix it, we might not. That's it.
    08-28-19 04:40 PM
    Perhaps, we don't know.

And you schuck Fanley just when I thought you finally made a useful contribution to these forums you go and do what you do best

Posted via CB10
    All I did was provide clarification to situation. I’m the guy that goes through AT&T to buy my devices because I don’t completely trust any company that I don’t have any leverage with after the sale and reputation for mediocre consumer relations. It’s not just BlackBerry but others as well. Think about it for a second. I consider AT&T more safe to deal with... Let that sink in for a minute.
    08-28-19 04:40 PM
    I consider AT&T more safe to deal with... Let that sink in for a minute.
    That's a bold statement, sir!
    08-28-19 04:46 PM
    I still don't understand why some folks are trying to read more into the updated announcement than is there. The tl;dr version equates to We haven't done anything with BB10 in years and we're not going to now. If something breaks, we might fix it, we might not. That's it.
    I agree there won't be rewrites or a development resource assigned to BB10 other than to investigate an easy fix to a query, but here's the thing BB10 probably won't need it. BBL likely updated all their certificates and dependences needed for BB10 and they should be good to go. OS10 probably has another 1-2yrs left in it, in its current state.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-19 05:00 PM
    BBL likely updated all their certificates and dependences needed for BB10 and they should be good to go. OS10 probably has another 1-2yrs left in it, in its current state.

Posted via CB10
    You've made a few big leaps there.

There are a hundred things that can break or expire, but only a single way everything can keep going without a problem.
    08-28-19 05:12 PM
    You've made a few big leaps there.

There are a hundred things that can break or expire, but only a single way everything can keep going without a problem.
    It's gone well up to now, certificates are not a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-19 05:21 PM
    It's gone well up to now, certificates are not a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not just talking about certificates.
    08-28-19 05:53 PM
    I'm not just talking about certificates.
    And outside of certificates, what else has disrupted usage in the last couple of years or since EOD? I would have been more concerned if the last bug fix was an architectural (rewrite needed) issue.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-19 06:13 PM
    And outside of certificates, what else has disrupted usage in the last couple of years or since EOD? I would have been more concerned if the last bug fix was an architectural (rewrite needed) issue.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know. What have they been maintaining behind the scenes over the last few years? What bandwidth have they been paying for and/or leasing? What is the state of the hardware infrastructure? What is the state of the physical plant? What other hardware or software have they been licencing?

As John said, "much goes into keeping something like this running.. There's a lot of moving parts!"
    Last edited by conite; 08-28-19 at 06:36 PM.
    08-28-19 06:20 PM
    I don't know. What have they been maintaining behind the scenes over the last few years? What bandwidth have they been paying for and/or leasing? What is the state of the hardware infrastructure? What is the state of the physical plant? What other hardware or software have they been licencing?

As John said, "much goes into keeping something like this running.. There's a lot of moving parts!"
    For the longest time I was under the impression (from these forums) that everyone associated with BB10 was fired and that corresponding real estate sold off; now that we know BB10 development/programming resources do in fact exist, there's supposedly a flurry of development activity occurring in the background that were unaware of? I've worked in software development, I've seen old software, commercial grade, maintained, in an undeveloped state for long periods of time. It wouldn't surprise me if BB10 remains functional for another 1-2yrs, in its current state - TT would argue even longer and from my experience I couldn't say he was wrong! Conite, rejoice! This is not a bad think!

Posted via CB10
    08-28-19 06:54 PM
    For the longest time I was under the impression (from these forums) that everyone associated with BB10 was fired and that corresponding real estate sold off; now that we know BB10 development/programming resources do in fact exist, there's supposedly a flurry of development activity occurring in the background that were unaware of? I've worked in software development, I've seen old software, commercial grade, maintained, in an undeveloped state for long periods of time. It wouldn't surprise me if BB10 remains functional for another 1-2yrs, in its current state - TT would argue even longer and from my experience I couldn't say he was wrong! Conite, rejoice! This is not a bad think!

Posted via CB10
    There is no development infrastructure, but the servers are sitting somewhere and undergo regular maintenance. There is a difference between active developers and the gear-greasers - but I'm sure you knew that already.

I'd be quite happy if BB10 continued working for a long time - as long as it doesn't cost BlackBerry anything.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    08-28-19 06:57 PM
104 ... 2345