Hi There, I want to buy a bb10 device as my daily driver. I had, until now, a S8 but now it's in customer service for repairing. I wanted to buy a classic until the s8 was repaired, but I was thinking about to keep it as daily driver because I want to be more productive and, use the phone not for apps, social and games, but for messages, emails, phone calls and so on. So my question is how hard is the transition from my s8 to a bb10 device? Some android apps works fine (WhatsApp, little instagram and YouTube)? How is the the experience with this old devices in terms of fluidity of browsing and also native apps using? Can I make it?
    Then if I want to buy a bb10 device which one I have to buy? A classic or a Passport? I love the physical keyboard and that's why a choose blackberry but I don't know if I can sacrifice the easy of use of a full blackberry keyboard (dots and symbols with alt function) with trackpad and all the utility buttons and the handling of the Classic to a better specs device like the Passport, which has a weird form factor not good for handling (also in one-hand use). Thanks for all of you reading and helping me.
    08-23-19 09:25 AM
    Well, BB10 will be officially EOL on Dec 31st of this year, coinciding with the complete shutdown of BlackBerry World (appstore).

If you're comfortable with that, and are mainly using your device for email, sms, and phone, then you should be fine.

For a secure browser, you will have to use an Android app like Kiwi, but it's certainly slower than the outdated native browser.

You can currently hobble along with the WhatsApp Android app, and you can use the Instagram and YouTube websites.

The Passport is significantly faster than all of the other BB10 devices - but it's still 2014 hardware.
    08-23-19 09:39 AM
    I wanted to buy a classic until the s8 was repaired, but I was thinking about to keep it as daily driver because I want to be more productive and, use the phone not for apps, social and games, but for messages, emails, phone calls and so on.
    No need to dumpster dive to cut out distractions.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-23-19 09:57 AM
    Well, BB10 will be officially EOL on Dec 31st of this year, coinciding with the complete shutdown of BlackBerry World (appstore).

If you're comfortable with that, and are mainly using your device for email, sms, and phone, then you should be fine.

For a secure browser, you will have to use an Android app like Kiwi, but it's certainly slower than the outdated native browser.

You can currently hobble along with the WhatsApp Android app, and you can use the Instagram and YouTube websites.

The Passport is significantly faster than all of the other BB10 devices - but it's still 2014 hardware.
    I think BB10 concept would work really well under current hardware... like having a separate android runtime to support the apps out there while maintaining the security/privacy under another OS

But it would take up a lot of effort to make BB10 as 64bit in the first place, which make my dream even less likely

Posted via CB10
    08-23-19 06:19 PM
    If and only if all you care about is texts, phone calls, emails. Still nothing like BB10 for emails. Oh, and Word to go is still miles better than any other equivalent.
    bb9900user2018 and elfabio80 like this.
    08-24-19 02:11 AM
    Nothing like the NY times to get you to pony up for the latest iphone at costs of 1G+ and rising, just to strip it down to exactly what you really want in a couple hundred bucks BB10 device (give or take a couple hundred).....its crazy....its like buying the latest woman's fashion house runway outfit, only to use the plain belt used to keep the dress-up.
    bh7171 likes this.
    08-25-19 01:10 AM
    I thought the life of BB10 was extended past 12/31/19?
    08-25-19 11:24 AM
    I thought the life of BB10 was extended past 12/31/19?
    Nothing changed. BB still officially lists EOL at that point. BBW gets shut down. At that point BB is not obligated to fix anything like they did when BBID for BB10 crashed last week. After 12/31/2019, BB could allow natural deprecation or it could decide to fix. I believe in deprecation otherwise why announce EOL date to begin with. Shutting down BBW may drive away many of the casual users so it may be irrelevant.
    08-25-19 11:40 AM
    I was thinking about to keep it as daily driver because I want to be more productive and, use the phone not for apps, social and games, but for messages, emails, phone calls and so on.

How is the the experience with this old devices in terms of fluidity of browsing and also native apps using? Can I make it?

A classic or a Passport? the Passport, which has a weird form factor not good for handling (also in one-hand use).
    If all you want is basic browsing, email and texting BB10 is fine and should be for a while.

I don't like the form factor of the Passport either, it's too big. The keyboard on the Classic is in my opinion as good as any BB device I've used in the past. I use my Classic to bang out emails and texts all day and there's nothing else like, the usefulness of the track pad make it easy to edit and surf some websites. Classic all the way. I love the youtube app in BB10 just be sure to log in.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-19 11:49 AM
    Thanks Chuck.
    But too bad as I am considering buying a Z30 as my Leap's battery is weakening.
    08-25-19 11:54 AM
    Thanks Chuck.
    Same answer just apply to Z30. I have both and Z30 is superior except for on AT&T where it has no LTE compatibility in USA except for small network coverage area in AT&T legacy Bell networks. Tampa where I live isn’t covered that way. It’s the main reason I bought the Leap at time.
    08-25-19 12:10 PM
    Thanks Chuck.
    Same answer just apply to Z30. I have both and Z30 is superior except for on AT&T where it has no LTE compatibility in USA except for small network coverage area in AT&T legacy Bell networks. Tampa where I live isn’t covered that way. It’s the main reason I bought the Leap at time.

On T-Mobile, Z30 crushed my Leap since LTE was available.
    08-25-19 12:10 PM
    Since you are used to the Android ecosystem and the related compromises... and also since you are interested in using a phone with a keyboard, I would recommend to buy a Key 2 and after you have your S8 fixed, to sell it. The BB10 experience is valuable only among those who tried it in the good old days. You will probably be dissapointed because you have never experienced it's true glory.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-25-19 12:17 PM
    Should we expect BB Link to work after 12/31/19 or EOL later so we can retrieve our data?
    08-25-19 12:22 PM
    Should we expect BB Link to work after 12/31/19 or EOL later so we can retrieve our data?
    That’s a good question for @conite @TrumpetTiger @Dunt Dunt Dunt
    08-25-19 12:25 PM
    Depends on the continued existence of the BBID infrastructure. I would suspect we should be okay for a while until something breaks again or equipment/licencing arrangements expire.
    Last edited by conite; 08-25-19 at 02:59 PM.
    08-25-19 12:51 PM
    1. Assuming BB10 will eventually die , hopefully BB will sell the fantastic keyboard(with Word flick, swipe delete & HUB ) to Apple so we can continue to enjoy these functions when we switch.
    2. Anyone know a way to backup/restore with Win 10 since Win 7 will cease to exist?

Many thanks
    08-25-19 01:19 PM
    Anyone know a way to backup/restore with Win 10 since Win 7 will cease to exist?

Many thanks
    It works on Windows 10 if you temporary allow it to be exposed to serious security threats.

Just re-enable SMB v1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...windows-server
    08-25-19 03:00 PM
    I use Darcy on Win 10. Works.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-25-19 08:47 PM
    Since you are used to the Android ecosystem and the related compromises... and also since you are interested in using a phone with a keyboard, I would recommend to buy a Key 2 and after you have your S8 fixed, to sell it. The BB10 experience is valuable only among those who tried it in the good old days. You will probably be dissapointed because you have never experienced it's true glory.
    I think I now agree with you
    I am back to the Classic after dropping my Dtec 50 a couple of days ago I then went and got an Acatel V3 it was rubbish so I took it back to the shop !
    I have now ordered a new Dtek 50 . I have got used to using the android aps and and cant do without them now
    Most importantly though as my phone is really a work phone I cant be without the Blackberry hub and this still makes the Android Blackberry's a must for me
    08-26-19 01:26 AM
    None of the BlackBerry desktop software (Link, Blend etc) works for me anymore. My 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-19 02:59 AM
    What is Darcy? thanks
    08-26-19 07:00 AM
    What is Darcy? thanks
    https://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-l...-tools-956835/
    08-26-19 07:02 AM
    Link for me has gone through phases where it didn't work, due to Windows updates. Currently it does work just fine, but - a patch next month from Microsoft might kill it or a BBID disassociation in six months might kill it. It's been out of development for years now...

Use it for as long as it will work, but don't rely on it as your only option for backing up data.
    08-26-19 08:26 AM
    Hey rgordon,

BB Link will continue to work for quite a while after 12/31/2019, as Blackberry Limited has confirmed (repeatedly) that all BB10 infrastructure will continue to be supported well beyond the end of 2019. Have no fear on this score.
    08-26-19 04:01 PM
104 123 ...