It's about time for the boss to upgrade his phone and the Classic is one of the options on offer. As is the Passport ...

He's not the most technological of people (I'm not wildly so myself, when it comes to phones) but he has in the past had a succession of BlackBerries, the last two being the Bold 9780 and the Z10 (his current phone).

From what I've read, it would seem that the Classic would be the better option to go for, as being more similar to older models than the Passport (plus in any case he has an iPad, so doesn't really need the bigger screen), and therefore pretty easy for him to get used to.

Any comments about this?

Also crucially important is whether or not the Classic has the facility to synchronise with my Outlook via USB: it took the Z10 some time to get to grips with this, and in my experience it still doesn't happen easily.
    04-08-15 09:31 AM
    The Classic is a BB10 device, just like the Z10 and the Passport, so no, don't expect anything to change regarding to MS Outlook sync. it's the SAME OS.

So, your rationale is that he should get a Classic just because it looks like a BB of old, even though he is using a Z10 now, and both phones behave virtually the same due to same OS.

My retort: Get a Passport.

My rationale: Since the OS is the same, you are better off suggesting him the best hardware available. The Classic is nothing but a slightly bigger Q10 with a toolbelt (that you don't really need).
    currentodysseys likes this.
    04-08-15 09:40 AM
    Why isn't the boss figuring this out for himself? I'd suggest an iphone 6 if he has any problems with not being totally basic.

Posted via CB10
    retomex and quangtran1 like this.
    04-08-15 09:41 AM
    Why isn't the boss figuring this out for himself? I'd suggest an iphone 6 if he has any problems with not being totally basic.

Posted via CB10
    Because boss is boss!

"You there! You look more tech saavy than I am. Fetch me info on what phone I should get next!"
    04-08-15 09:42 AM
    Ugh..everything that is wrong with corporate culture. My condolences.

Posted via CB10
    jjlothin, chris8189 and chalx like this.
    04-08-15 09:44 AM
    I'm a boss. I like my Blackberries, but I'm probably not the norm. If you get yours a Blackberry, my guess is you'll be supporting him for the near future. And as soon as he goes to a golf outing with other bosses, my other guess is he'll ask for an iPhone when he gets back.
    Phone Guy 4567 and chalx like this.
    04-08-15 09:55 AM
    Agreed. Just get him something totally remedial and similar to what his golf buddies are doing. Cookie cutter.

I doubt someone with little enough patience t choose their own mobile would be able to tolerate a high powered device such as the Passport .

Posted via CB10
    quangtran1 likes this.
    04-08-15 10:04 AM
    I would say get the Classic. Physical hang up button means more confidence a call is ended when he wants to end it, trackpad allows for easier copy and pasting. Other shortcuts like pressing call send button twice to call back the most recent contact, pressing call end to minimize an app then back to close it rather than trying to touch a tiny little x, all should be useful for someone in a corporate position. Also, it's much easier to use one-handed than the Passport and no need to get accustomed to a proprietary keyboard design so switching between devices should be more seamless.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Frehley and kirson like this.
    04-08-15 10:05 AM
    Well, he has stayed pretty loyal to BlackBerry over the past few years, even though he now has an iPad!
    04-08-15 10:06 AM
    I would say get the Classic. Physical hang up button means more confidence a call is ended when he wants to end it, trackpad allows for easier copy and pasting. Other shortcuts like pressing call send button twice to call back the most recent contact, pressing call end to minimize an app then back to close it rather than trying to touch a tiny little x, all should be useful for someone in a corporate position. Also, it's much easier to use one-handed than the Passport and no need to get accustomed to a proprietary keyboard design so switching between devices should be more seamless.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    That's really useful - many thanks, slagman5!
    04-08-15 10:07 AM
    Because boss is boss!

"You there! You look more tech saavy than I am. Fetch me info on what phone I should get next!"
    You got it!
    diegonei likes this.
    04-08-15 10:08 AM
    Well, he has stayed pretty loyal to BlackBerry over the past few years, even though he now has an iPad!
    It's no shame to have an iPad when BlackBerry doesn1t really have a tablet he can buy.
    04-08-15 10:10 AM
    the passport is a boss phone. classics for his ponds lol
    04-08-15 10:20 AM
    My boss (CTO) played with Passport for two weeks and then got the Classic. And I got his Passport.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty, acovey and jjlothin like this.
    04-08-15 10:23 AM
    Go Classic...great business phone

Posted via CB10
    Frehley, NikoB82 and jjlothin like this.
    04-08-15 10:24 AM
    I would strongly suggest the PASSPORT, for one simple reason, Screen real estate, and the ability to read on a wider screen!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-15 10:29 AM
    Neither. The P'9983 is the phone of a true boss.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic (10.3.2.281)
    Q10Bold likes this.
    04-08-15 10:36 AM
    You got it!
    Hey, I didn't get this Ambassor badge out of a trash bin!

And what's the worst that can happen? This is:

My boss (CTO) played with Passport for two weeks and then got the Classic. And I got his Passport.
    04-08-15 10:40 AM
    Unless he specifically wants a physical keyboard and buttons I would be hard pressed to go from a Z10 to a Classic. Unfortunately, BlackBerry doesn't really offer an upgrade path from the Z10 currently. Personally, I went from a Z10 to a Passport, but my boss still has a Z10 despite having tried the other phones.

Overall size is a factor in their decision and the bigger screen is more important than a physical keyboard considering the BB on screen keyboard works as good as it does.
    04-08-15 11:27 AM
    The Classic IS a Boss, so I think that just about settles it. Tell him to keep candy crush on the iphone and use the Classic for everything else!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 11:33 AM
    sounds like the classic right option, but if he's become a power bb10 user (how are things going with his z10?) maybe the passport. I love my passport but most users in our org will get a classic (more like old blackberries and good for people who make a lot of calls).
    04-08-15 12:31 PM
    Agreed. Just get him something totally remedial and similar to what his golf buddies are doing. Cookie cutter.

I doubt someone with little enough patience t choose their own mobile would be able to tolerate a high powered device such as the Passport .

Posted via CB10
    Koala Bear is right.

Posted via CB10
    NikoB82 likes this.
    04-08-15 12:46 PM
    Why not get him a Bold9900? then he can be a 'SOLIDBOSS' ! lol...

Q10 i would opt for.... (unless the boss.. isn't worried about battery etc) then he can get a Classic.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    04-08-15 12:52 PM
    Why not get him a Bold9900? then he can be a 'SOLIDBOSS' ! lol...

Q10 i would opt for.... (unless the boss.. isn't worried about battery etc) then he can get a Classic.
    Look who's here!!!
    Dude they don't make cute10s anymore. The OP's boss needs a phone and I don't think it would be healthy for his job to suggest something that's in the books of history.

Passport if he's ok with the form factor or else the very best of BlackBerry, the Classic !

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 01:04 PM
    I'm a boss. I like my Blackberries, but I'm probably not the norm. If you get yours a Blackberry, my guess is you'll be supporting him for the near future. And as soon as he goes to a golf outing with other bosses, my other guess is he'll ask for an iPhone when he gets back.
    Yup that's exactly how it works. If someone asks me for advice iPhone first then Android. I don't want to even think of the nightmare recommending Blackberry would be, and the amount of questions it would generate especially about running Android apps.

Confused at why the boss needs help picking a new Blackberry since a Z10 is already being used, the only choice is between screen size and if they want a physical keyboard? Now if the boss asked for advice on a new phone in general among all platforms that would make more sense to me.
    04-08-15 02:48 PM
38 12