Hello everyone, since I'm new to BlackBerry and only got it because it looks cool, and have a pkb and the hub i have a question about security.

Everyone is always talking about how good the security is, but what does that mean?
    Can I see how good my security is on my classic? And what does good security mean when it comes to phones? I have only started it and have my emails and instagram on it and i have a password to use it.

And i have been reading some threads here on crackberry but to be honest, I don't understand any of it, can someone explain this to me?

And is iphone and android phones unsafe? And if say how? What are the consiquenses? And to make it clear, talk to me like I'm a child or something so i get it!

Best regards
    Mathias

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 04:33 PM
    You can control what apps can connect to and do or not do for one there's plenty more if you look around

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 04:41 PM
    Ok

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 08:47 AM
    Everyone is always talking about how good the security is, but what does that mean?
    Posted via CB10
    My 5 cents on all this "security and privacy" thing - it's a trend, some cool words, but not some real feature.
    * Yes, BB10 let you control app permissions, but so does iOS and some Android models.
    * Yes, BB10 hasn't been rooted AFAIK, but anyway, rooting a device is not something you can do remotely, so unless you lost your phone, this shouldn't be a concern.
    * Yes, BBM has some kind of super 3 layer encryption, but I assume this goes to all platforms, bot only BB10
    * Latest two android vulnerabilities allowed to install a malware on the device via sms or mms. You probably won't find this on BB10.
    Apart from that, I can't really recall to any more BB10 device features (maybe other forum members will help you on that).

What you (and we all) have to understand, that nowadays no mobile device is a standalone gadget. I mean, that we all use tons of web services in any shape or form, so that our phones become a gateway for those services. That mean, that if you are using an unencrypted connection to access some third party web service (this is just an example), it doesn't really matter, how your BB10 (or any other device) is secure. It's like with the chain - it is as strong as it's weakest link.

May be you remember the story with iCloud hack? That was one hell of a hack. People went nuts about it (for a reason), but it was the cloud that was hacked, not the devices, right?

The same with Sony (last year I guess). Again, it is their infrastructure that was hacked, not the devices.

It is hard to find a thread on CB lately, that has completely no posts mentioning "security and privacy", but I haven't seen a really good explanation of what it really is. And by saying "good explanation", I mean an expert opinion.

Speaking of OS vulnerabilities - well, Android is 80%+ of the market, not wonder people all over the world trying to find and exploit them. I bet, if BB10 had 80% of the market share, some vulnerabilities would have been found also.

TL;DR - you personally are the first level of defense for your data. Mind the web pages you visit, messages you receive, apps you download, information you share, and you'll be just fine.
    jas1978 and tl000 like this.
    11-02-15 09:31 AM
    My 5 cents on all this "security and privacy" thing - it's a trend, some cool words, but not some real feature.
    * Yes, BB10 let you control app permissions, but so does iOS and some Android models.
    * Yes, BB10 hasn't been rooted AFAIK, but anyway, rooting a device is not something you can do remotely, so unless you lost your phone, this shouldn't be a concern.
    * Yes, BBM has some kind of super 3 layer encryption, but I assume this goes to all platforms, bot only BB10
    * Latest two android vulnerabilities allowed to install a malware on the device via sms or mms. You probably won't find this on BB10.
    Apart from that, I can't really recall to any more BB10 device features (maybe other forum members will help you on that).

What you (and we all) have to understand, that nowadays no mobile device is a standalone gadget. I mean, that we all use tons of web services in any shape or form, so that our phones become a gateway for those services. That mean, that if you are using an unencrypted connection to access some third party web service (this is just an example), it doesn't really matter, how your BB10 (or any other device) is secure. It's like with the chain - it is as strong as it's weakest link.

May be you remember the story with iCloud hack? That was one hell of a hack. People went nuts about it (for a reason), but it was the cloud that was hacked, not the devices, right?

The same with Sony (last year I guess). Again, it is their infrastructure that was hacked, not the devices.

It is hard to find a thread on CB lately, that has completely no posts mentioning "security and privacy", but I haven't seen a really good explanation of what it really is. And by saying "good explanation", I mean an expert opinion.

Speaking of OS vulnerabilities - well, Android is 80%+ of the market, not wonder people all over the world trying to find and exploit them. I bet, if BB10 had 80% of the market share, some vulnerabilities would have been found also.

TL;DR - you personally are the first level of defense for your data. Mind the web pages you visit, messages you receive, apps you download, information you share, and you'll be just fine.
    Thank you so mutch for that explanation! Means a lot that you took the time, now I understand alittle more of what people are talking about !

Best regards

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 02:40 PM