01-06-16 12:38 AM
65 123
tools
    So I just received my 3rd Classic. The first had double typing issue on the spacebar, the 2nd had extremely uneven backlight and an overall muted feeling keyboard.

Now the 3rd has a good keyboard, good enough background lighting but the SD card tray doesn't really fit properly and stands out a little bit causing a sharp edge.

Anyone else with a problem like that? I'd really like to keep that device since the other factors are more important. Maybe I can buy a new SD card tray somewhere? Any ideas?

Really hard to get a good Classic it seems.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 04:43 AM
    Sounds like the Classic has some build quality issues.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    02-07-15 05:10 AM
    Mine is a little uneven too.

Quality control seems a little weak.
    02-07-15 07:29 AM
    Does anyone if you can get parts like that somewhere?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 10:52 AM
    I was going to post this along with a photo last week, it's perhaps my only complaint about the Fit & Finish.

When I unboxed the Classic, they were not uneven. The problem came after inserting the nano-sim, which was done by AT&T at the store. It was a very snug fit. That locked the SIM tray in position, pretty much where it should be. But then the SD tray started to misalign. Repeated attempts to reseat it would succeed only for a few moments then it would be askew again.

The $60 fix for this is to get a decent sized SD card and put it in there. It tightens the fit of the SD tray, and at least holds it into a stationary position, which you can then fiddle with to get them even again.
    02-07-15 11:08 AM
    My Corvette Z06 was a screaming machine. I could press the go-pedal and that thing went to ludicrous speed. Never touched a thing with the engine.

The radio knob fell off after 7 months.
    02-07-15 11:09 AM
    Any pictures so we know what the problem looks like?

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.1154
    02-07-15 11:48 AM
    don't have any camera that can take close up pictures like that. But it is easy describe. Slide your finger over the the left side of the phone. I feel a sharp edge between the sim and the sd slot because the sd slot tray doesn't fit good.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 11:53 AM
    I tested one that have the same issue. SD and SIM card tray a bit uneven. Enough to feel it but not enough to call it a problem.

FWIW

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 11:53 AM
    I don't expect them to be perfectly aligned either. But mine results in a very sharp edge so I'd like to buy a new sd card tray. I really don't want to exchange the classic a 3rd time.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 01:17 PM
    I don't expect them to be perfectly aligned either. But mine results in a very sharp edge so I'd like to buy a new sd card tray. I really don't want to exchange the classic a 3rd time.

Posted via CB10
    Just do it. They have to learn.
    They have to get your faulty unit to see where the problems are!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    02-07-15 01:27 PM
    I don't have any misalignment on the sim and SD card tray on mine. If I did, I'd definitely be getting a replacement though!

Posted via BlackBerry Classic (10.3.1.2243)
    02-07-15 04:27 PM
    Can you please post a photo of the problem ?
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 04:32 PM
    A misalignment could pose a problem in the future. The misalignment could cause the phone to not read the SIM or SD card further down the line.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 04:56 PM
    I think it is just the tray itself that is not properly cut out. I'd really like to keep this classic now since everything else is fine. The sharp edge just feels bad when holding it there.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 06:45 PM
    A misalignment could pose a problem in the future. The misalignment could cause the phone to not read the SIM or SD card further down the line.

Posted via CB10
    Objection, your Honor. Complete speculation.

Sustained.
    jas1978 and nobbynobrains like this.
    02-08-15 01:44 AM
    I think it is just the tray itself that is not properly cut out. I'd really like to keep this classic now since everything else is fine. The sharp edge just feels bad when holding it there.

Posted via CB10
    Can you take it to the store? I mean I gave you the other solution but you want to buy a tray?
    02-08-15 01:46 AM
    Nope can't take it to the store. It is an online order from my provider. I also found some rubber/glue residue on the right edge of the display so I decided to sent it back once again.

Posted via CB10
    Cracklen likes this.
    02-08-15 03:34 AM
    So I just received my 3rd Classic. The first had double typing issue on the spacebar, the 2nd had extremely uneven backlight and an overall muted feeling keyboard.

Now the 3rd has a good keyboard, good enough background lighting but the SD card tray doesn't really fit properly and stands out a little bit causing a sharp edge.

Anyone else with a problem like that? I'd really like to keep that device since the other factors are more important. Maybe I can buy a new SD card tray somewhere? Any ideas?

Really hard to get a good Classic it seems.

Posted via CB10
    Funny enough, my Classic has two of the issues you have mentioned (severe gap/light bleed and a slightly uneven tray) plus some slowness, but I have decided not to send it back because I am afraid I might end up with a phone with a much more serious issue! You can say I am one of those who feels the Classic's general quality is not as high as the other BB10 devices.
    02-08-15 04:24 AM
    I agree. Since my first Classic was perfectly build though except the double typing space bar, I didn't really expect such issues. So when you get a good Classic it does feel more premium than my Q10 but it seems to be very difficult to get one...
    02-08-15 04:35 AM
    Your first mistake was letting the At&Fee rep insert your sim card.... lol

I know when I inserted mines it is very peculiar and I can see it becoming damaged if someone inserts it in the wrong way........not trying to be sarcastic but did you try removing both to look and see if the force of in putting the nano sim somehow disrupted the alignment? I'd try that first

It's gotta not be in there right only because if it came aligned right and even then something occurred after to cause the problems

Sent from my: SM-N910T / SQC100-4 with Tapatalk : PIN 2BFBBCE3: T-Mobile 4G LTE
    02-08-15 06:27 AM
    You misunderstood my post. The Classic came without SIM inserted and the trays were already uneven causing an edge. Inserting sim and/or sd card doesn't have any effect on the issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 06:31 AM
    You misunderstood my post. The Classic came without SIM inserted and the trays were already uneven causing an edge. Inserting sim and/or sd card doesn't have any effect on the issue.

Posted via CB10
    In that case I'd definitely be sending it back...again.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic (10.3.1.2243)
    02-08-15 09:40 AM
    It hurts, and I still like my Classic, but I have to agree, they seem to have a quality control problem with their first Foxconn-built phone.

My Classic #1 had 2 dead pixels, and I decided to go for a replacement, because I usually sell my phones before they get too worn out.
    Classic #2 had VERY uneven card trays, I mean, it was even embarrassing, one was way too deep inside the frame, the other one sticking out. Impossible to keep this one.
    Classic #3 had a BIG gap right below the space bar and sym key, I could literally see through to whatever is underneath.

So eventually I decided to stick to #1, and to accept the dead pixels, which are not overly disturbing, and the overall build of this device was good.

It's obvious they have a quality problem, and they need to get this fixed. The Classic was presented as a quality device, but currently it seems to be a question of luck to get a really good one.
    02-08-15 10:51 AM
    After reading this thread I got the idea, that there should be an online store at Foxconn where you can buy a DIY BlackBerry Classic Assembly Kit. That way people with lots of time, passion and patience can build their own perfectly assembled BlackBerry. Of course the kit should cost just half of the price.

Posted via CB10
    blambtn and anon9133023 like this.
    02-08-15 10:57 AM
65 123