I wish I wasn't posting this. Years with BlackBerry then surrendered to iphone 4S and then long success with a 5S. Also had a Samsung Note 3. Switched over to the BlackBerry Classic six months ago. I want to be the loyal BlackBerry enthusiast but keep having problems: this phone is incredibly slow; sometimes just freezes up for no reason; horrible battery life; the apps are terrible; sometimes contacts disappear for no reason; my cheek presses screen buttons during calls (I'm not that fat) and the BlackBerry Blend is really slow and unresponsive. The positives: obviously the world class keyboard and the calls are loud! I can actually hear who I am talking to which is nothing to dismiss lightly. I like the trackpad.

Talk me out of it or post that I'm a lemming with a prosthetic brain; I miss the apps and the seamless navigation and reliability of the iphone. I love that the classic is unique and I like the heft of a heavy phone. I checked out the Priv at because it's not out yet at Verizon and thought it felt flimsy. Not crazy about being a slave to Google.

I want to stay but everyday I mutter "POS" all spelled out at some point while using this phone. I've done the resets and reloads with BlackBerry link and I have a 128gb mini SD for my music and it doesn't help. I better wrap it up here: my battery is dying again!

Posted via CB10
    early2bed, lift, techvisor and 1 others like this.
    01-05-16 05:23 PM
    Use what works best for you. Why on earth do you need people to 'convince' YOU to make YOUR choice of phone. YOU'RE using it, not them. Spending YOUR money on it and from the sounds of it, YOU have YOUR mind made up. If you're having issues then maybe we can help, but it doesn't like you're seeking help, it sounds like you're wanting others to make your life decisions for you.
    01-05-16 05:27 PM
    Now that I'm plugged back into the charger: has anyone had a similar predicament and improved their BlackBerry experience? Didn't mean to sound whiny. Should I go with the blue shirt or black shirt? Should I ask this chick out? Momma what's my special purpose? In a nutshell: I don't want to switch but this phone is just really limited on a daily basis.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 05:39 PM
    I think you are less of a slave to Google than you are to Apple. Eden does seems nice once you see the desolation though huh?
    01-05-16 05:46 PM
    Don't get the Eden reference but both apple and Google are evil empires. I do run a website and the classic is more limited in terms of managing an ecommerce dashboard. But dang the calls are loud! And the keyboard blows away any touchscreen. I found my old Curve from 2008? Man that thing is small and I used to blaze thru email when I worked at a bank. If BlackBerry just had the appworld up to par and the processing speed there's no way I'd look back.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 05:51 PM
    In a nutshell: I don't want to switch but this phone is just really limited on a daily basis.
    And that's the crux of it for you. If it's not meeting your needs anymore, then you got to roll with something does. But the thing is, no one here is going to know that. I could tell you to keep the device and share every great thing about it that works for me but that doesn't mean it's going to work for you in the end.
    highos and andy957 like this.
    01-05-16 06:01 PM
    So does anyone want to chime in on why the Classic is superior to a 6S? Other than the keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 06:26 PM
    OP, it's all about what you need and want from your phone. A lot of BlackBerry users use a two device approach. They have their BlackBerry and then use another Android or iOS to supplement for whatever they aren't getting from their BlackBerry. Personally I use a BlackBerry/iPad combo and it works out really well.

It's about what YOU want. Some people can't let go of the grip of Apple. That's ok. Every phone is not for everybody. Some people can't and won't let go of their BlackBerry and that means they either have use a two device set up to get all the apps they want, go without apps, or use work arounds. I personally hate work arounds and that's the main reason I went out and bought an iPad. It keeps my BlackBerry free from android and all the apps I could want are on the pad.

What do you actually need your phone to do that it's not doing? If it's something more then communicating with light app use, I suggest going back to iPhone or trying out android.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    01-05-16 07:26 PM
    [QUOTE=emanuel0ss0;12192065]OP, it's all about what you need and want from your phone. A lot of BlackBerry users use a two device approach. They have their BlackBerry and then use another Android or iOS to supplement for whatever they aren't getting from their BlackBerry. Personally I use a BlackBerry/iPad combo and it works out really well.

It's about what YOU want. Some people can't let go of the grip of Apple. That's ok. Every phone is not for everybody. Some people can't and won't let go of their BlackBerry and that means they either have use a two device set up to get all the apps they want, go without apps, or use work arounds. I personally hate work arounds and that's the main reason I went out and bought an iPad. It keeps my BlackBerry free from android and all the apps I could want are on the pad.

What do you actually need your phone to do that it's not doing? If it's something more then communicating with light app use, I suggest going back to iPhone or trying out android.

Thanks for your post! Here is what I'm thinking:

I have a Samsung Note 3 on another line I pay for and never use and I have an old iPad I never use. Was thinking of selling both and moving my BlackBerry Classic to my other line and getting a 6s Plus for all the apps and reliability. Love the feel of the Classic (typing on it now) but maybe another hard reset is in order to clean it up. I wish I could operate my website dashboard from my Classic. Screen is just too small. And I would like better social media apps. I also use dropbox a lot and it's pretty clunky on this phone. And I cannot lie I'm a big music lover and I miss iTunes. Loved hearing an old song from high school era and $1.29 later having it on my phone. Keyboard; call clarity and tactile feel of the Classic is still the best but outside of that it's an inferior experience. There's just no one perfect device. I hope BlackBerry survives and as much as I despise Google the Vienna (or is it Venice? The one with the classic keyboard) looks really promising. More shall be revealed...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ArbuckleWillis; 01-05-16 at 08:07 PM.
    01-05-16 07:45 PM
    So does anyone want to chime in on why the Classic is superior to a 6S? Other than the keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    Multitasking
    Call quality
    Speaker phone
    Email handling
    Durability
    Customization

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    acovey, andy957 and Quorist like this.
    01-05-16 09:50 PM
    [QUOTE=ArbuckleWillis;12192102]
    OP, it's all about what you need and want from your phone. A lot of BlackBerry users use a two device approach. They have their BlackBerry and then use another Android or iOS to supplement for whatever they aren't getting from their BlackBerry. Personally I use a BlackBerry/iPad combo and it works out really well.

Thanks for your post! Here is what I'm thinking:

I have a Samsung Note 3 on another line I pay for and never use and I have an old iPad I never use. Was thinking of selling both and moving my BlackBerry Classic to my other line and getting a 6s Plus for all the apps and reliability. Love the feel of the Classic (typing on it now) but maybe another hard reset is in order to clean it up. I wish I could operate my website dashboard from my Classic. Screen is just too small. And I would like better social media apps. I also use dropbox a lot and it's pretty clunky on this phone. And I cannot lie I'm a big music lover and I miss iTunes. Loved hearing an old song from high school era and $1.29 later having it on my phone. Keyboard; call clarity and tactile feel of the Classic is still the best but outside of that it's an inferior experience. There's just no one perfect device. I hope BlackBerry survives and as much as I despise Google the Vienna (or is it Venice? The one with the classic keyboard) looks really promising. More shall be revealed...

Posted via CB10
    If the screen is what is holding you back, how about trying a Passport? The screen is huge. The typing is way different from the classic but with a little practice you will be flying. The screen should be big enough to handle your website and any other things that you would want to do. I would somehow get an old iPhone, iPod, or iPad and use that as your app driver, and use the classic for personal use. I keep my iPad for home and vacation use. Outside of the house or vacation, I don't need all those apps hogging up precious mental time and space.

It's always going to be different for everyone. You just have to find what works best for you. it may not be ideal for someone else, but it should work best for you.

About the Vienna and DroidBerry in general, I'm on the fence about the whole thing. There are certain things I like about android, and then there are certain things that I don't. I may get a Priv in the future, but not anytime soon.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    01-05-16 10:41 PM
    As everyone says ' choose what's best for you...'

But to go into crux of the matter : you have a classic which is slow, with poor battery life, hangs or crashes a lot and makes your contacts disappear .
    I would still consider re installing from scratch, choosing a software version which is labelled stable by most here and build the app gallery slowly as to see which one is adding to your troubles. As for apps availability apple surely is the winner.

I have both classic and an iPhone 6 plus. And after a year of use I am still unable to decide which is better.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    01-05-16 10:43 PM
    Thanks for all the feedback! I agree on email; call quality and durability. I would love to try the Passport but Verizon doesn't carry it. Have a business account there so it would be a mess to change everyone over to AT&T. Definitely a fresh wipe of the Classic is in order. Maybe fire up my old ipad as well. My upgrade is on January 21st. I paid full retail for the Classic in June. That's how much I love BlackBerry! Intrigued by the possibility of a 6s Plus and keeping the classic. Thanks again for all the replies.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 11:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Classic has nothing to do with iTunes?
    raino, john_v and tangozulu like this.
    01-06-16 12:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    YES, YES, YES it's NOT an Android.
    lift likes this.
    01-06-16 12:13 AM
    The Classic has nothing to do with iTunes?
    To clarify: yes itunes thru BlackBerry link but not on the fly directly into the phone itself unless I'm missing something. And that's another issue I didn't mention: all of my songs showed up in triplicate one day. Now starting over correcting that.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 01:08 AM
    Sounds to me like you have an OS issue. Have you done a lot of OS updates? Perhaps an auto loader and fresh install? I have none of the issues noted with my Classic. The form factor, keyboard, track pad, toolbelt, shortcuts and epic HUB make it a most excellent and efficient device for me. I put all my music from my iTunes folder on my SD card and have zero problems. I manage a ludicrous amount of emails and there is nothing else I would rather use. Cobalt ' s 3 step method to add Google Play can't get much easier.
    01-06-16 01:25 AM
    Sounds to me like you have an OS issue. Have you done a lot of OS updates? Perhaps an auto loader and fresh install? I have none of the issues noted with my Classic. The form factor, keyboard, track pad, toolbelt, shortcuts and epic HUB make it a most excellent and efficient device for me. I put all my music from my iTunes folder on my SD card and have zero problems. I manage a ludicrous amount of emails and there is nothing else I would rather use. Cobalt ' s 3 step method to add Google Play can't get much easier.
    This phone has turned into a total dog. I'm going to wipe it clean and start fresh tomorrow after I back up. Maybe I've kinked it somewhere along the way. Like I keep saying, I want it to work. BlackBerry is still my sentimental favorite.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 01:39 AM
    Sure sounds like an OS and/or app issue. ?? That said, it also sounds like no single device can truly satisfy your particular requirements. Nothing wrong with that. Some tasks are best suited to BB's PKB and Tool Belt. Other tasks need screenestate. Until someone figures out how to fit a 6" screen into a 3" space, compromise is inevitable. You might, however, be surprised how ubiquitous Miracast capable smart TVs are, these days. Classic's track pad leverages nicely on giant, and tiny, screens. Without even looking toward my Classic!

I'm also an enthusiastic proponent of dual carry. In my particular case, I feel best served with 9900 performing typing, calendar, spreadsheet, etc while either my Classic, PP or Z30, depending on expected needs for the day, gets carried to provide functions they're best at. It's really nice to be able to check calendar, in one hand, without moving Classic from ear while conversing with client, for example. Something I JUST did a minute ago. Now back to finishing this post over lunch without setting fork down. Until someone else calls... .

In short, consider dual carry. Seek to honestly understand the strengths and weaknesses of your chosen devices and learn to fit them into your work flow. Once proficient, you might ultimately wonder how you ever got along with just a single device!

Btw, jfi, lunch time is actually breakfast time on this shift... Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-06-16 at 06:32 AM.
    coffeeaddict305 likes this.
    01-06-16 06:19 AM
    01-06-16 03:23 PM
    Do what works best for you, honestly. Don't feel bad for using something that you think has reliability and function for you.
    01-06-16 03:41 PM
    What you need to do is what I'm doing.

Keep the Classic free of any apps other than what comes on the phone and use it as your communication device. And buy a new iPod Touch 6th generation and use that for all your music, all your apps you need in a pocketable and much more affordable (than a 6S) device that goes up to 128gb.

That's my plan at the end of the month and it means I keep all the apps, Apple Music, the great camera and can tether the data from my Classic to the iPod on the go through mobile hotspot.
    Win. Win.
    01-06-16 03:59 PM
    What you need to do is what I'm doing.

Keep the Classic free of any apps other than what comes on the phone and use it as your communication device. And buy a new iPod Touch 6th generation and use that for all your music, all your apps you need in a pocketable and much more affordable (than a 6S) device that goes up to 128gb.

That's my plan at the end of the month and it means I keep all the apps, Apple Music, the great camera and can tether the data from my Classic to the iPod on the go through mobile hotspot.
    Win. Win.
    Completely agree with this. I use a Passport and 6Plus/iPad combo. Never without any apps and it keeps my BlackBerry free from, in my opinion, battery hogging android apps.

01-06-16 04:15 PM
    One thing that would be hard to give up is the call clarity. My Classic NEVER drops a call on Verizon. I'm sure that I have some minor hearing loss on my 45yr old ears from 30 years of loud music. I can always hear clearly on every call. The 5s was frustrating because even with the volume all the way up I could barely understand what people were saying. Which reminds me: when I have a WiFi BBM call with my brother the call clarity is amazing. The old cliche "you sound like you're in the next room" definitely applies. If I said that my brother would retort "if I was in the next room why the F would I be calling you?

Appears I am moving towards a two device modus operandi.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 06:30 PM
    Multitasking
    Call quality
    Speaker phone
    Email handling
    Durability
    Customization
    Sounds like 9900!
    01-06-16 07:06 PM
76 123 ...