I recently started getting the "Device Storage Almost Full" notification. When I checked the "System" as using over 12GB. so I tried deleting app data, deleting personal files, I barely got 1GB back. I store almost all my data on a 64GB card. All the media I have is on the card.

My email accounts only sync for 30 days, but I typically delete most emails after I read them.

I looked to the "misc" folder and saw the 30GB use as shown in the attached screenshot. after deleting some stuff from there, system memory use dropped to what it is in the other screenshot, but even that seems high.

Running out of space-img_20151003_230846.png

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Running out of space-img_20151003_230817.png  
    10-03-15 10:14 PM
    So, is it the internal or the card which is full?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 10:23 PM
    Google on your phone?

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    10-03-15 11:23 PM
    Get the android app CCLEANER. It will analyse and show you what can be deleted. It will also do the deleting as well.
    This was an app I used on my pc for years and came across it in a thread here. Very useful.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 06:56 AM
    You should never have unnecessary apps on you phone if you don't use them, delete them. I have found that Google does not work for "me". I need more working memory than most people. So I try to use only apps that does not need Google Play on your device. Meaning I use BlackBerry World, Amazon or Snap to down load.

Check you App Manager and see how much memory you are starting with after you have restarted you phone. I have 1.2g of RAM after start up.

I have found that for me any time the memory get under 400mb it slows down.

Look closely at the AppMgr and determine what is eating up your memory. Turn all apps off that run in the back ground you don't need.

Last resort is to wipe you phone and start over but do a back up before you attempt this.

10-04-15 07:52 AM
    You should never have unnecessary apps on you phone if you don't use them, delete them. I have found that Google does not work for "me". I need more working memory than most people. So I try to use only apps that does not need Google Play on your device. Meaning I use BlackBerry World, Amazon or Snap to down load.

Check you App Manager and see how much memory you are starting with after you have restarted you phone. I have 1.2g of RAM after start up.

Look closely at the AppMgr and determine what is eating up your memory. Turn all apps off that run in the back ground you don't need.

Last resort is to wipe you phone and start over but do a back up before you attempt this.

His complaint is about storage space, not RAM.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 08:13 AM
    The OS badly over estimates the size of the Android folder, a lot of people get that

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    10-04-15 08:21 AM

The idea of any mobile OS is to USE up as much memory as possible. This is to SPEED UP the device and to make it LESS laggy. Having a lot of free memory (RAM) lets your device work harder, because it constantly needs to reload stuff that should be in memory, resulting in a slower device and more battery usage. This is diametrically different compared to a PC operating system, where you want the FREE up as much memory as possible so that the swap file on the hard disk is not used..

The following articles give a good overview on the topic:

Why RAM Boosters And Task Killers Are Bad For Your Android

Task killers and memory cleaners can actually do more harm than good and you should stop using them

Long story short: Don't use memory managers or task managers.
    10-04-15 08:24 AM
    I recently started getting the "Device Storage Almost Full" notification. When I checked the "System" as using over 12GB. so I tried deleting app data, deleting personal files, I barely got 1GB back. I store almost all my data on a 64GB card. All the media I have is on the card.

My email accounts only sync for 30 days, but I typically delete most emails after I read them.

I looked to the "misc" folder and saw the 30GB use as shown in the attached screenshot. after deleting some stuff from there, system memory use dropped to what it is in the other screenshot, but even that seems high.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

Posted via CB10

Did you update your device lately? Maybe some temp files from the OS update have not been removed. Maybe you'll have to do a security wipe or even reload your OS to clean it all up.
    10-04-15 08:28 AM
    The idea of any mobile OS is to USE up as much memory as possible. This is to SPEED UP the device and to make it LESS laggy. Having a lot of free memory (RAM) lets your device work harder, because it constantly needs to reload stuff that should be in memory, resulting in a slower device and more battery usage. This is diametrically different compared to a PC operating system, where you want the FREE up as much memory as possible so that the swap file on the hard disk is not used..

Task killers and memory cleaners can actually do more harm than good and you should stop using them

Not the OP's problem, but thanks for this info. I do tend to watch my available ram think more is better as per a pc, but with this I'll stop. A welcome break for my ocd.
    That being said I did recently started using Ghost Commander to force stop some of the few android apps I want to have, but infrequently use, however that was in the effort of improving battery life which it did. Android apps I use frequently I leave as is.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 10:49 AM

Thanks I will read it when I get to a PC. Does it apply to the BlackBerry environment?

10-04-15 06:52 PM
    I'll check CCleaner. Only android app I use often is Maps, but I used ghost commander and the cache/data was under 100MB combined. I cleared the cache anyway. It only went up to 7.8GB today. Is that a normal amount for the system to use?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 07:32 PM

Uhhh, no. You didn't seem to understand the article. Mobile phones are computers working on the same principle as windows. You aren't trying to ''use more RAM'', the point is, according to the article that Android manages it's own resources better that third party utilities. You aren't trying to use up all your RAM, that is just silly. You are trying load apps into ram so they are quickly accessible. If you run out of RAM on your phone, you will have problems just like a PC. Android manages this for you, but the point remains, not enough RAM decreases performance.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-04-15 08:49 PM
    The whole point of course is not to use all ram. The point is not to clean ram or tasky manually as this results in a performance drop.
    10-05-15 06:41 AM
    I'll check CCleaner. Only android app I use often is Maps, but I used ghost commander and the cache/data was under 100MB combined. I cleared the cache anyway. It only went up to 7.8GB today. Is that a normal amount for the system to use?

Posted via CB10
    I guess that would depend. On my Classic my systems is 3.61GB, so compared to mine it seems high.
    Let CCLEANER have a look and see what it finds.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 06:58 AM
    Uhhh, no. You didn't seem to understand the article. Mobile phones are computers working on the same principle as windows. You aren't trying to ''use more RAM'', the point is, according to the article that Android manages it's own resources better that third party utilities. You aren't trying to use up all your RAM, that is just silly. You are trying load apps into ram so they are quickly accessible. If you run out of RAM on your phone, you will have problems just like a PC. Android manages this for you, but the point remains, not enough RAM decreases performance.

Posted via CB10
    Great analysts. I never heard of using more RAM (ROAM) helping your CPU run better.

IMDONE

10-05-15 08:08 AM
    I have the same issue, i wiped my phone started over then restored it with my most recent backup. The issue seems to be steming from having an SD card in the phone. Without my SD card that folder takes up a normal 300 Mb, with my SD card it takes up almost 21 Gb

BlackBerry Z10 STL 100-4
    10-21-15 10:11 AM